Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

New Shows

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

New Shows

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:38 pm

The Following

Saw the pilot and thought it was great. Really good premise that they can do a lot with, IMO. And I've love Kevin Bacon ever since he danced his way into my heart in Footloose.

replaying the pilot on Friday the 25th, I believe.

The Americans

Looks really interesting to me. I'm generally a fan of period shows like this. I was disappointed a few years back when that 70s thing with Michael Imerioli's facial hair shit the bed and got cancelled. Russian Spies in the 80s has a lot of potential. And this show has one of the more effective ad campaigns in recent memory.

Starts Wed the 30th on FX

Anyone else in on these shows?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: New Shows

Unread postby justmebd » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:55 am

motherscratcher wrote:The Following

Saw the pilot and thought it was great. Really good premise that they can do a lot with, IMO. And I've love Kevin Bacon ever since he danced his way into my heart in Footloose.

replaying the pilot on Friday the 25th, I believe.

The Americans

Looks really interesting to me. I'm generally a fan of period shows like this. I was disappointed a few years back when that 70s thing with Michael Imerioli's facial hair shit the bed and got cancelled. Russian Spies in the 80s has a lot of potential. And this show has one of the more effective ad campaigns in recent memory.

Starts Wed the 30th on FX

Anyone else in on these shows?

I watched The Following and saw a lot of potential. It wasn't the best pilot episode I've ever seen, and there definitely were some tonal problems, some writing issues and motivation questions, but I'm hoping these all get worked out in the next few weeks.

Bacon was the best part of the show, and the last few scenes, while overdone, set up the rest of the season nicely.

The Americans: Yep, definitely going to check that show out.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby jerryroche » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:43 am

Two words for "The Following": Kevin Bacon

Two words for "The Americans": Keri Russell

Oh, yeah. I'm in — until the plots/writing prove otherwise. Good concepts, though.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:35 am

When do you old ass dolts stop living vicariously through Kevin Bacon? Is the age cut off once he's 75?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:49 am

So should we live vicariously through? Who do you?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:06 am

SMH:

SMH x 2:

“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:17 pm

A friend of a friend of a friend of that friend's neighbor knows Kevin Bacon. Crazy!
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:02 pm

Best of Bacon. All kinds of awesomeness in this cinematic classic

This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:40 pm

^
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:10 am

DVRing The Americans on FX to give that show a chance. Looks pretty interesting.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:05 am

skatingtripods wrote:DVRing The Americans on FX to give that show a chance. Looks pretty interesting.

Its Intense , the pilot was solid , and its a awesome concept, sound track ain't to shabby either.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:29 am

Govbarney wrote:
skatingtripods wrote:DVRing The Americans on FX to give that show a chance. Looks pretty interesting.

Its Intense , the pilot was solid , and its a awesome concept, sound track ain't to shabby either.

Gotten a couple good reviews from some of my Twitter follows, too, so I'm even more excited. About to watch it now.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:18 am

"The Americans" = promising. Lots of plot to develop, great supporting cast. Unusual seeing Russell cast against type as a ruthless, nasty Commie. Extremely startling to see her go down on a DoJ agent in the first two minutes—pretty graphic, even for FX. Not much fun to watch her work her many evils...but an intriguing, interesting main character, fer sure.
jerryroche

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:00 pm

Strong first episode. I had no idea that the executive producer/director is Gavin O'Connor, who directed Miracle, about the 1980 US Olympic Hockey team.

A lot happened in that first episode. Took me a little while to process everything.

I don't watch Archer, Sons of Anarchy, or Justified, but based on their popularity, FX is really churning out some good shows that people like. The Americans should be no different.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:04 pm

I'm rooting for the commies.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:05 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Best of Bacon. All kinds of awesomeness in this cinematic classic

That movie is as good as Brandon Weeden is bad.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:59 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I'm rooting for the commies.

I found myself rooting for Commies as well.

And aside from Comrade Roethlisberger of the KGB, the show is did a great job at portraying the Soviets as the protagonist, and the real Americans as the corrupt capitalist pigs they are.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:15 pm

Govbarney wrote:

And aside from Comrade Roethlisberger of the KGB, the show is did a great job at portraying the Soviets as the protagonist, and the real Americans as the corrupt capitalist pigs they are.

I like the way they created some friction between the couple. The way that Phillip was coming around to the American way of life and realizing that they're not the big, bad enemy like they're portrayed. But, Elizabeth is still staunchly loyal to the motherland. I would like to see that angle continue, as it would make things really interesting between the two of them.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:37 pm

"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:16 pm

Tell us something we didn't know.

I liked the first episode, but fell asleep with 10 minutes left, can you fill me in, was it significant to the next episode?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:25 pm

FUDU wrote:I liked the first episode, but fell asleep with 10 minutes left, can you fill me in, was it significant to the next episode?

Spoiler alert: (highlight quoted text to read)

Not sure if you saw Elizabeth talk to the General, but he said that the jobs were going to get more risky and more dangerous. After that scene, the neighbor from across the street, the guy who works for the FBI, broke into the spies' garage after dark and examined the car. He didn't find any evidence in the trunk and left. While he was in the garage, Phillip was standing in the shadows with a gun.

That was pretty much it, I think.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:06 pm

The Americans is one of the better pilot episodes I've seen in the last 5-7 years. Very strong opening on every level.

This now is must-watch for me.
justmebd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:23 pm

justmebd wrote:The Americans is one of the better pilot episodes I've seen in the last 5-7 years. Very strong opening on every level.

Since I spent most of last night transferring the "Cold War" documentary series from VHS to DVD, I must be watching this tonight.
Hikohadon

Unread postby waborat » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:27 am

justmebd wrote:The Americans is one of the better pilot episodes I've seen in the last 5-7 years. Very strong opening on every level.

Not every level, the child molester hittin on a kid in front of her father and cashier in a crowded department store?

Grew up in the early 80s and only remember the teens wearin Jordache jeans with a 10" comb outta their back pocket, not like some current day hormonal-induced honey booboo...

Take that scene out and ya got a very strong pilot
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Keri Russell's character really is ice cold, even to their kids. Some of that might have been due to the guest in the garage, but still. Now by the end, after she, uhh, "rediscovered" Phillip, she loosened up a bit, even to the kids.

Still, you don't find yourself rooting against her. Not totally, anyhow.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Govbarney wrote:

Not sure I got "real Americans are corrupt capitalist pigs" from that pilot.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby davemanddd » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:30 pm

thank you sir, may i have another???

the following is by far the best new show!!!
dave . . .
davemanddd

Favorite Player: joe thomas
Least Favorite Player: lebron james

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:33 am

motherscratcher wrote:
Govbarney wrote:

Not sure I got "real Americans are corrupt capitalist pigs" from that pilot.

I was being facetious.

But what was the point of the dude who was pimping 13 yr olds, other then to say, hey this commie beats up American statutory rapist's, he aint so bad.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:12 am

Govbarney wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:Not sure I got "real Americans are corrupt capitalist pigs" from that pilot.

I was being facetious.

But what was the point of the dude who was pimping 13 yr olds, other then to say, hey this commie beats up American statutory rapist's, he aint so bad.

I guess I didn't realize you were being facetious because I can see where someone might form that opinion of the pilot, even if I don't agree. For the most part, I think they did, and will continue, to make sympathetic and unsympathetic characters on both sides.

I think we are supposed to like the married spies. I think we are also supposed to like the neighbor, although I'm don't thinnk we are supposed to root for him to figure it out.

I was a little disappointed that the neighbor snooped around the garage in that first episode. It was too soon. IMO it would have been better for him to come to his suspicions much more gradually. Even over the course of multiple seasons. Just look at how Breaking Bad handles a similar situation and how awesome it was.

As far as the weird rapie guy...I think that was just supposed to humanize the spy (I can't rememeber their names yet). He's a guy who loves his daughter just like any American does, and would do whatever any American dad would do if capable. It also illuminated the lies and deception he has to live with every day around the people that he loves. He had to stand there in the store and eat shit in front of his daughter, even though he had the capability to do something about it. That must be difficult.

I've heard others complain about that scene but IMO it served a purpose and was effective.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:48 pm

motherscratcher wrote:As far as the weird rapie guy...I think that was just supposed to humanize the spy (I can't rememeber their names yet). He's a guy who loves his daughter just like any American does, and would do whatever any American dad would do if capable. It also illuminated the lies and deception he has to live with every day around the people that he loves. He had to stand there in the store and eat shit in front of his daughter, even though he had the capability to do something about it. That must be difficult.

I've heard others complain about that scene but IMO it served a purpose and was effective.

Agreed. Earlier in the show, they had the scene in the motel room where Phillip wanted to have sex with Elizabeth and she wasn't on board with the idea. He mentions that they'll have to have kids at some point to make their relationship look as legitimate as possible. That ties in with the scene at the department store and him kicking the guy's ass.

Like moscratch said, it's humanizing him. He's also right that the Russian dude could have easily snapped that creep's neck in a millisecond, but had to show restraint.

Every scene has a purpose early on in the show. It's about character development. They have to get a rapport going between the characters and the audience because that's how shows have a long shelf life.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby waborat » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm

I get the character development angle. I get the writers wanting to show the audience about how Phil needs to reign in his bad-ass. What I don't get is a 30 something pedophile hittin on a young girl in a crowded department store? Lots of different ways you could show his humanity, no?

And if you guys don't think that's stupid, then you have to agree with me on this one:

Who the hell fires up a charcoal grill for just two Effin wieners n buns???
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:39 pm

waborat wrote:I get the character development angle. I get the writers wanting to show the audience about how Phil needs to reign in his bad-ass. What I don't get is a 30 something pedophile hittin on a young girl in a crowded department store? Lots of different ways you could show his humanity, no?

And if you guys don't think that's stupid, then you have to agree with me on this one:

Maybe. Probably. It was certainly uncomfortable, I'll give you that.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:49 am

waborat wrote:I get the character development angle. I get the writers wanting to show the audience about how Phil needs to reign in his bad-ass. What I don't get is a 30 something pedophile hittin on a young girl in a crowded department store? Lots of different ways you could show his humanity, no?

Cant argue with that.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:16 pm

Yeah, that scene was silly, especially the way he peered around the corner of the house and then - poof! - he was on the other side of the grill. If he went all the way around the house, that was superhuman quick. Otherwise, he either has the power of invisibility or disappearance/reappearance.

I watched both the pilot and 2nd episode last night, and it's an OK show that feels like it wants to be a lot of other much better shows. I have my doubts whether they can advance the characters/plot enough to the point where I don't lose interest quickly.
Hikohadon

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:16 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

Yeah, that scene was silly, especially the way he peered around the corner of the house and then - poof! - he was on the other side of the grill. If he went all the way around the house, that was superhuman quick. Otherwise, he either has the power of invisibility or disappearance/reappearance.

I watched both the pilot and 2nd episode last night, and it's an OK show that feels like it wants to be a lot of other much better shows. I have my doubts whether they can advance the characters/plot enough to the point where I don't lose interest quickly.

I'm enjoying the show enough that some of the things you guys have pointed out aren't really bothering me -- at least not yet.

I really loved how Phil screwed with the housekeeper this week, and the look on the Russian's faces when they heard about Reagan creating the missile defense system.

I'm liking the FBI agent more and more.
justmebd

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:06 am

I agree Jmbd. Truman's buddy is a great character so far. The guy is playing it well, also. I'm never quite certain what he's thinking during his scenes with Philip yet. Was the caviar and beer scene him being suspicious? Or just neighborly? A bit of both?

And getting that mole inside the KGB is a great move IMO. So far I really like the show. Liked episode 2.

Hiko - you say it wants to be a lot of much better shows. I'm not sure how you can tell after 2 episodes that its not. Almost sounds like you decided before hand that its OK, and you're almost offended that it wants to be better than that. Fucking Bourgouise cunt.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:56 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I agree Jmbd. Truman's buddy is a great character so far. The guy is playing it well, also. I'm never quite certain what he's thinking during his scenes with Philip yet. Was the caviar and beer scene him being suspicious? Or just neighborly? A bit of both?

And getting that mole inside the KGB is a great move IMO. So far I really like the show. Liked episode 2.

Hiko - you say it wants to be a lot of much better shows. I'm not sure how you can tell after 2 episodes that its not. Almost sounds like you decided before hand that its OK, and you're almost offended that it wants to be better than that. Fucking Bourgouise cunt.

Look who's going all Peeker about a dumb FX show. ;-) ;) :wink:

It reminds me of other shows that are better, shows that it probably aspires to be. It could still evolve into a really good show. Their characters are going to have to get a LOT more interesting though if that's to be the case. Because it's not like they have a lot of friends or co-workers that help advance the plot along like, say, The Sopranos. It's just them. Operating within a known history, so it's not like they can get assigned to assassinate Oliver North and we don't already know how that winds up.

Personally, I think they should ditch the kids and just make it a freakin' spy show. There's only so much you can do with Suburban Yuris.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jerryroche » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:01 pm

Just a hunch, but I think Paige (the daughter) will play a pivotal role in upcoming episodes. The son, not so much — unless both kids start to get a whiff of what their parents really are. Can you imagine keeping such terrible secrets from your coming-of-age kids for any length of time? It'd be enough to drive any decent parents batty.
jerryroche

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:47 pm

Enjoyed the second episode. When you think about Russian spies, you think of very methodical, emotionless people. These two are the opposite. The wife is more serious than the husband, but even she has her weaknesses. They're compassionate while still trying to do their job.

My guess is that at some point during this series that Phillip becomes a double agent with the help of the guy with the FBI from across the street. I think they've done a good job pushing the envelope while being on basic cable too. A lot of the shows that you could compare this to will probably be shows on premium cable that have a lot more freedom with the script, special effects, and imagery.

I'll keep watching. It's not like it's a waste of an hour of my day and it'd have to get significantly worse to become that.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:31 pm

Just watched the 4th episode (Hinkley episode) . Best one yet, This is becoming one of my favorite new shows.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:51 pm

I'm hooked too...although I must admit I am a long-time devotee of the subject of Soviet espionage in the U.S. They are starting to bring in more characters in the spy network...Gregory, the wife's former lover, and Claudia, the new supervisor, for example.

One thing I think they have done well so far is to depict the sincerity and devotion of the operatives to "the cause"...the utopian vision that they had imbibed of, and were working for, and that they were convinced was exemplified by the Soviet Union. If you've ever read "Witness" by Whittaker Chambers, or "Radical Son" by David Horowitz, you get some sense of how seductive that vision was (and is) for some people.

And if you're ever interested in reading the definitive scholarship on Soviet espionage in the U.S., search on the co-authors John Earl Haynes and Harvey Klehr at Amazon, and have at it. Also "The Haunted Wood" by Allen Weinstein and Alexander Vassiliev.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:54 am

Got to work on some of the Venona messages for a project in college. Everyone who thinks that we were just paranoid in the 50's-80's about the extent of the Soviet network in the US is nuts. That was some scary stuff.

The Sword and the Shield is pretty good, as is CIA Spymaster. Gets into the Nosenko stuff, which is really interesting to me.

http://www.amazon.com/CIA-Spymaster-Kis ... ri+nosenko
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:50 am

I understand how someone could be a hard core believer and live in the same country that made them into a hard core such as Russia, N. Korea, and Iran, but it amazes me that more of these spy's didn't defect when they got to the US and realized how much better the standard of living was, and how much bull shit their native country fed them.
I know today the N. Koreans have to essentially hold the spy's family hostage IOT keep them from defecting, I wonder if the Russians did the same thing, or if it was just a steadfast belief in the Soviet system that kept them in line.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:02 am

Govbarney wrote:I understand how someone could be a hard core believer and live in the same country that made them into a hard core such as Russia, N. Korea, and Iran, but it amazes me that more of these spy's didn't defect when they got to the US and realized how much better the standard of living was, and how much bull shit their native country fed them.
I know today the N. Koreans have to essentially hold the spy's family hostage IOT keep them from defecting, I wonder if the Russians did the same thing, or if it was just a steadfast belief in the Soviet system that kept them in line.

Many of the agents sent over here did just that. A lot of the successes were from "true believers" that grew up over here, or scumbags who wanted money/girls/drugs (Hansen, Ames) etc.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:14 pm

I'm liking The Americans more and more, and The Following less and less.

The following is just stupid ridiculous. And they've established that they have no qualms about taking the laziest route possible to get themselves out of corners that they've painted themselves into.

We're what, 6 episodes in, and they are already making any person or police officer as possibly in on it. I'm sure they're going for a "Wow, we can't trust anyone! This is so interesting!" reaction. The actual reaction is that the whole thing is stupid and pointless and lazy.

And it kills me because I really like Kevin Bacon.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:16 pm

Anyone going to check out Vikings on Sunday? The History Channel's first original scripted series. Gabriel Byrne.

Looks to me like it's definitely worth a shot.

I'd imagine CDT is in.

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:15 pm

I'm not really sure on the whole scripted series stuff on History Channel thing. It's already too much they have all this reality TV bullshit..... i'd like some, you know, historical documentaries on historical events.

And not Monster Hunter, Ancient Aliens, or Ice Truckers.

H-i-s-t-o-r-y.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I'm not really sure on the whole scripted series stuff on History Channel thing. It's already too much they have all this reality TV bullshit..... i'd like some, you know, historical documentaries on historical events.

And not Monster Hunter, Ancient Aliens, or Ice Truckers.

H-i-s-t-o-r-y.

I get that. It's weird that the History Channel is dong scripted TV. I just figure that if it was on AMC or something I'd be watching. So I'm not going to NOT watch just because its strange. From what I've seen it looks well done.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:59 pm

I wonder if they'll keep it realistic. Like when the Vikings would raid a undefended monastery, kill monks, rape nuns, and steal anything that wasn't nailed down.

I always thought a Viking warrior teamed with a midget cop would make a great TV show concept.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:25 am

motherscratcher wrote:Anyone going to check out Vikings on Sunday? The History Channel's first original scripted series. Gabriel Byrne.

Looks to me like it's definitely worth a shot.

I'd imagine CDT is in.

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings

I'm definitely in for The Vikings tonight. This will be a capper to my day of drinking scotch and watching Star Trek II and III back-to-back with some friends while my wife decides to go shopping.

And MS, full agreement on your assessment of The Americans and The Following. The Americans just keeps getting stronger while I gave up on The Following sooner than you did because I saw the writing on the wall, and predictably, it was in blood. Go figure.

Zero Hour: I knew ABC was either going to screw it up, cancel it, or screw it up and cancel it, so I never watched one minute of it. Anyone here give it a shot?
justmebd

Next

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture