Text Size

College Sports Arena

2013 Recruiting

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: 2013 Recruiting

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:38 pm

It also didn't hurt scUM that two of Green's leaders (Auburn and Tenn) had huge coaching changes.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:56 am

^^^^^ So boys let's call this one out with Dymonte Thomas ***** safety prospect from Alliance, OH . From what I've heard and read Green wanted to be a Buckeye. We chose EZ. OK.

Thomas tried to appear "open", but quickly went with scUM when he was getting no love from Columbus. We got a kick ass group of DB's coming in. OK.

We won't get into a "nail biting" expose about how some ****/***** OH guys migrate to scUM appreciating the National gig Myer has going on :clap: .

My lips are purple from drinking the kool-aide with Urban. I was at tOSU when he was on staff back in the day.
I am just eccentric OCD on ***** star dudes going up North & specially if they from the Buckeye state.

I got the fat-head script OHIO on the wall and I tear up to Carmen Ohio. Now dammit, get me 6'-4" / 4.45WR & its "on" "bama". :spar:
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Dymonte would have been a Buckeye if not for Jim Bollman. Bollman refused to invite him to a practice during spring of his junior year (spring ball) and UM took the opening and took off for him.

The staff didn't want Green because they have a few hundred *big* backs and they wanted a more all around talent in this class. Urban moved away from Green.

That said, the Dymonte stuff sucks and is 100% on the old staff, Urban tried to repair the damage but it was too late.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:08 pm

^^^ Good shit. ty
pod2dawg

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:36 pm

Jim Bollman is like herpes, he is the gift that keeps on giving.

I read an interesting piece on BN$ about Bollman, they basically said he was never going to really outwork folks, but that was complicated a few years back when he had a health scare and EVEN FURTHER dialed it back. It really does show.

Can you believe that a program like OSU has only had one OL drafted in the first round since the 2002 NCG? ONE! It was shocking watching tOSU's 4 and 5* OL struggle to move Ohio University's or Navy's DL. Look at that stellar 2008 OL recruiting class (Brewster, Shugarts and Adams) it was the envy of every school in the country. Those players NEVER improved. Mike Brewster was exactly the same player freshman to senior year. How freakin' tragic. Look at Alex Boone in the NFL, now that he has some real coaching (and has gotten his shit together). Bollman wasted soooo much talent.

If you ever needed proof about what a shitty coach Bollman was, all you need do is look at what Ed Warriner did with Bollman's players in one year. He immediately looked at that line, flopped around a bunch of players and made arguably the best OL in the B1G. Mewhort, Linsley, Hall, Norwell and Fragel were the best part of that O last year. They made it go, and they were not the most heralded recruits in the country. I hate Jim Bollman and everything Dymonte Thomas does up North is his fault completely. Bollman literally did not even know that Dymonte Thomas played at Alliance, he was in the area for other players when he slighted Thomas. He literally had no idea who Thomas, a kid in his own backyard, was. Fuck that walrus-looking
piece of shit.

Now Green, he is totally on Meyer. Meyer wanted some smaller backs (Elliot) and passed on Green. I like Green's straight line speed, but he is not a shifty dude. When you watch his highlights, it is not a lot of 40 yard TD runs, it is one cut 10 yard runs. Meyer is looking for homerun hitting playmakers of the DeAnthony Thomas/Percy Harvin sort. He already has 4 close imitations of Derrick Green on the roster in Dunn, Smith, Hyde and Ball. Dunn has 3 years of eligibility and Ball red shirted last year (injury) so he has 4.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:39 pm

pod2dawg wrote:^^^^^ So boys let's call this one out with Dymonte Thomas ***** safety prospect from Alliance, OH . From what I've heard and read Green wanted to be a Buckeye. We chose EZ. OK.

Thomas tried to appear "open", but quickly went with scUM when he was getting no love from Columbus. We got a kick ass group of DB's coming in. OK.

We won't get into a "nail biting" expose about how some ****/***** OH guys migrate to scUM appreciating the National gig Myer has going on :clap: .

My lips are purple from drinking the kool-aide with Urban. I was at tOSU when he was on staff back in the day.
I am just eccentric OCD on ***** star dudes going up North & specially if they from the Buckeye state.

I got the fat-head script OHIO on the wall and I tear up to Carmen Ohio. Now dammit, get me 6'-4" / 4.45WR & its "on" "bama". :spar:

I am looking at buying this for my family room. Still trying to decide how to paint it to match without making the room obnoxious. The mural is 53" by 12 feet!

http://www.sears.com/4walls-ohio-state- ... 9333470453
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:12 pm

And don't forget, OSUs top RB target in 2014 is a big ass back (Jalen Hurd)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:44 pm

The amount of potential melt from OSU recruiting fans over the next two weeks is incredible. Many not great things floating that could turn bad (but really aren't bad) that are causing a stir. It's going to be really funny watching this fan-base lose their shit.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:46 pm

BTW: someone said this at Rivals today and I fully argree, with EZ-E having his incredible weekend at Mizz and potentially ending up at the school that graduated his parents (not likely ending up there, but potentially) people are flipping their shit about Green being dropped by Meyer. The fact is that Meyer views Dunn as Green and wanted a different type of running back this year. He would have gone all in on Smoke or D-Williams, etc. I don't think for a second that green was cut just for EZ-E, he was cut because it was going to be along recruitment and factually the staff didn't need another Dunn on the roster.

(and man, when the news I just read (and hasn't made it to the public yet) about what OSU commit visited another school officially this weekend breaks people are going to be HILARIOUS)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:31 pm

furls wrote:
I am looking at buying this for my family room. Still trying to decide how to paint it to match without making the room obnoxious. The mural is 53" by 12 feet!

http://www.sears.com/4walls-ohio-state- ... 9333470453

Ah, the old alumni weekend quadruple script Ohio. Very nice Furls.

And F$%^ck you Eoyo for giving me indigestion. An EZ flip wouldn't burst my arterial plaque ...but (whew) don't want to see any of our " commits" bail now dammit.
pod2dawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:14 pm

You don't even want to know what commit pulled a surprise (although probably meaningless) visit to UT this weekend then...

Because as good as EZ-E is, losing an RB would be far from a big issue, losing this kid would be huge.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:19 pm

Wouldn't be a LBer would it?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:22 pm

Yes and UT is Tenn, not Tejas.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:34 pm

The chatter saying he might bolt? Or just looking for a party?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:06 am

party, but the staff wasn't informed which always makes these things touchy.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:12 am

pup wrote:The chatter saying he might bolt? Or just looking for a party?

His twitter page is still decked out in OSU, so that says something... either he hasn't gotten to turning it that god awful orange or he is still S&G. I think it sounds more like partying to me. Hell, I wish I could take a couple of official visits!

I think there is some not great news out there (I am not going to call it bad yet), but I don't think any of it will develop to bad news.

I hadn't really thought about Dunn and Green being redundant, but yeah, they are. Both are listed at 6'0-6'1 220. Straight line speed, durable, moderate power. If you go back and find the thread, I actually liked Warren Ball better going into 2011. Ball committed really early and got bitten by the injury bug and everyone forgot about him. Also, Ball is reported to be an ideal teammate, something we cannot say about Bri'onte. It will be interesting to see if Ball ever does anything at tOSU.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:16 am

What is more surprising to me is not the "not great news," but the lack of good news. I am getting progressively more pessimistic about the finish to the 2013 class. I think we may be done. Here are my calls as of now for who goes where:

-Clark: Florida
-Wilson: Oregon
-Carrington: Oregon
-Skipper: Arkansas
-Hunt: Oregon
-Bell: 'Bama
-Elder: ???
-Timmons: ???

I think we may end up with Elder or Timmons, and I am not calling either a reach, but neither is a plan A guy at a position of very real need.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:59 am

I don't think a pivot player is anywhere near a need for this class. If anything, getting one of Skipper and Hunt is the most important, the play-maker plays they are making are just wants, nowhere near needs. And word is OSU impressed Clark enough it is UF or OSU. Wilson, well how knows, not a lot coming out of that camp beyond "the visit went great".
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 am

Last I checked there are about 15 pages of melt over on hineygate regarding EZ-E's trip to Mizoo. About halfway through the stack there's even some photo's of EZ E sporting Mizoo sweats. Some idiots over there also indicating that they are tweeting smack back and forth with the kid's mom which is both psycho and highly counter-productive. As much as I like OSU we certainly have our fair share of idiot fans.

Eyo/Furls any update on how Wilson's visit went? Hopefully we either retain Ez E or steal Wilson. Would be a bummer if we ended-up with neither of them.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:10 am

I think WR is a huge need. I am a little less concerned about OL, the depth isn't great, but I like the players that are there and so does the staff. Additionally, there are lots of potential OL prospects on the DL if needed: Munger and Price are two guys who could very easily end up at OG. Gardner is a guard and they still have Lisle. Dodson still has 4 years of eligibility along with Jacoby Boren (who they love) and Decker still has 3.

I really don't like the WRs currently on the roster and it gets even worse when Philly Brown leaves after this year. It is Devin Smith and a bunch of possession receivers, and Smith is not exactly an all american. Right now they have commitments from Smith and Jacobs.

So it looks like:

Seniors:
-Fields (meh)
-Brown (improving)

Juniors:
-Smith (potential is there)
-Spencer (Possession receiver)

Sophomores:
-Thomas (possession receiver)

Freshman:
-Marshall (should be electric, but position move)
-Jacobs (fast, little guy)

That depth chart scares the crap out of me for a team that likes to go 4-5 wide. I know there will be TEs/HBs in there, but I am not seeing a bunch of guys that can stretch the field. If either Marshall or Jacobs ends up being a whiff, this team is in trouble in 2014 and if there is an injury, well one of the 2014 FR better be ready to start. I would feel a lot better about it if we got one or more of Smith, Carrigen, Wilson, Elder or Timmons (in that order). The only thing I don't like about Smith is that he only has 2 years remaining, so he is a band aid.

OL Depth for fun:

Seniors:
Hall
Linsley
Mewhort

Junior:
Norwell
Baldwin (likely non contributor)
Tommy Brown (likely non contributor)
Antonio Underwood (likely non contributor/2 deep)

Sophomore:
Farris
Decker

Freshman:
Boren
Dodson
Elflein
Gardner
Lisle
Price (???)
Munger (???)

Looks like they will be short on experience in 2014, but more freshman in this class isn't going to cure that. Jim Bollman, the gift that keeps on giving. His "Epic" 2011 OL class of Bobek, Brown, Carter and Underwood fucked that up. I would like to see Skipper (more likely) or Hunt (less likely) in this class, but I think we would be OK without them. On the other hand, I would really like to see some Taivon Jacobs/Jalin Marshall insurance because if those two guys bust we are completely F'd in 2014.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:12 am

YahooFanChicago wrote:Last I checked there are about 15 pages of melt over on hineygate regarding EZ-E's trip to Mizoo. About halfway through the stack there's even some photo's of EZ E sporting Mizoo sweats. Some idiots over there also indicating that they are tweeting smack back and forth with the kid's mom which is both psycho and highly counter-productive. As much as I like OSU we certainly have our fair share of idiot fans.

Eyo/Furls any update on how Wilson's visit went? Hopefully we either retain Ez E or steal Wilson. Would be a bummer if we ended-up with neither of them.

Last I saw his visit went "great." That was all that really came out other than some dumb tweets about him not getting shown some love at some bar in the arena district.

I am a bit more pessimistic about Wilson than I was going into the visit. Before the visit I thought he was about 75% in, after the visit, I say 45%.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:52 am

No real interviews on from him yet outside of his coach saying the visit went great.

Oregon did mad work when they showed up at his house with the entire staff last week (according to every source out there). I was surprised OSU even still got a visit after how well it went. So for as great as the visit was, keep in mind how great the Oregon in home was. At this point who knows, I'm with Furls at "coin flip" status.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:11 am

Those dirty lil Vols!.....great work guys on keeping we "unwashed" up to speed.

Our psycho Buckeye Nation eccentrics need to realize their twitter riffs can enflame a situation.

Of course you can't blame a kid for taking his "trips". Now a days there is supposed to be a certain etiquette to it like say....".hey coach I am committed to tOSU & I am 100% a Buckeye. Recruiting my "peeps" in C-town as we speak. That prior rap with Auburn / FLa, don't mean nothing. Chill. OH-IO.

BUT, my boys from the county go to Tennsee and they know how to party in Knoxville. I would really like to go visit. Promise not to wear anything orange but their cheerleaders over the weekend. I will listen to their pitch with my earphones on. No prob, coach . Scarlet & Grey all the way." (anonymous blue-chip LB recruit)

I have accepted pretty much Furls assessment. Our class is what it is. Pretty damn good. We aren't getting anymore plan A's.

We a WR light. We'll get by. (flex)
pod2dawg

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:23 am

Also of note, Corn Elder was offered to play hoops by Purdue. He's been waiting (and waiting) for a major hoops offer and this one may fit the bill (plus he could two sport it).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:29 am

furls wrote:OL Depth for fun:

Seniors:
Hall
Linsley
Mewhort
Norwell

Junior:
Baldwin (likely non contributor)
Tommy Brown (likely non contributor)
Antonio Underwood (likely non contributor/2 deep)

Sophomore:
Farris
Decker

Freshman:
Boren
Dodson
Elflein
Gardner
Lisle
Price (???)
Munger (???)

One major problem Furls, Norwell is also going to be a senior, not a JR as you noted. You're looking at graduating 4 O-Linemen the year before Braxton's senior year (and the same year a lot of this Meyer young talent is growing).

No matter how much you like the '12 and '13 guys you almost have to have another '13 kid (particularly after O'Conner bolted) just because the last thing this team can afford is two guys busting out and ending up praying a Kyle Trout can make the move from the Wing-T to starting as a true-freshman.

I fully agree the WR position needs help too, but I really think they'll get another body there (Timmons isn't a bad player by any question). I just also think that you can see true freshman WRs come in and contribute (and the 2014 prospects they are in on are ridiculous), whereas Linemen need to spend time developing. It's the slowest developing position outside of QB, IMO and they are going to be dramatically short on developed prospects after those four graduate this year.

I have no problem relying on Meyer bringing in more studs to play WR in 2014. I'm terrified about the slim chance you could need a true freshman lineman to play.

But yeah, this is all Bollman's fault.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:48 pm

My bad on Norwell. You are RIGHT on that count. I still feel better about OL than I do about receivers though.

I knew Norwell was a year behind Mewhort & co., I just forgot that all those guys redshirted in 2009. I felt like they were 2010 recruits and Norwell was 2011. I was wrong.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:09 pm

Skipper to the Fat Bielemas
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:45 pm

Looks like OL was a whiff to end this year. Fuck you Jim Bollman! If he was any kind of recruiter OSU would have had some type of relationship with the '13 guys. '14 should be a good year on the OL recruiting front.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks for the updates Eoy/Furls.

I guess Skipper ends-up with the same OL coach who originally recruited him at UT.

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:22 am

Too soon to start a 2016 thread, I suppose...so here's some video of (2013) Joey Bosa's little brother Nick....MaxPrep's national freshman of the year...playing at STA, against some of the best HS football competition in the country. 6' 2", 215, playing defensive line...tackle and end. Supposedly as big a Buckeye fan as his brother. Seems like they didn't have both Bosa brothers on the field at the same time a whole lot, but there are times you can catch Joey #97 in the highlights too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rfh781 ... ata_player
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:25 am

Hearing tonight that all is well with Elliott and OSU.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:20 am

good news about Ez E :clap:

YahooFanChicago

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:05 am

Trey Johnson's coach is also claiming that Trey will still sign with Ohio State.

Also, OSU assistants are reportedly heading back down to speak with Smith again tomorrow. Looks like they might be putting on the full court press as he is supposed to be visiting Tennessee this weekend. Smith originally signed with UT coming out of high school.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:59 am

How about Lovell Peterson, one of Stoops first lock-ups at UK, decommiting to trow the shot put (and maybe play football) at Grand Valley State?

When's the last time you saw something like that?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:49 am

The last time a guy picked a school because his girlfriend was going there.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Well, that makes even less sense.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:12 pm

Mike Farrel of Rivals is hearing good things from people close to EZ-E.

Also has a source "he really trusts" telling him it seems like Vonn Bell is going to end up between OSU and Tenn and that OSU has more than a punchers chance. Keep in mind, Farrell (like everyone) has been calling Bell to Bama based on reading the tea-leaves so this runs against his personal guess. This lines up with what Givler (Buckeye Grove) has been saying for weeks. Early. Playing. Time.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:08 pm

Well, I am hoping Bell comes to tOSU. I don't think him heading to UT or 'Bama ruins this class, but Bell to tOSU certainly does take it to the next level. He could see a ton of PT as a true freshman if he came to tOSU. Not sure he would "start," but as much nickel as the Bucks play... he would see a ton of time with Bryant and Barnett.

It would make this secondary class out of this world:

CB: Apple
CB: Conley
SS: Burrows
FS: Bell
Star: Worley

Of course let's not forget Thompson who is very impressive as well. I have no idea what to do with Darron Lee, he is a good player, I just have no idea what position he plays in college. He could literally end up as a safety, LB, HB, or WR. I tend to think he ends up on offense.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Rumors swirling on the Scout $ board now that Corey Smith received a commitable offer from the asst. coaches and there could be word coming out on his final decision soon (OSU being hinted as the choice).
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:06 pm

Well he is in now. They certainly drug their feet handing out that offer (not as bad as the Timmons soap opera, but pretty bad).

With no O-linemen they can take 3 WR/ATH types now and still save a spot for Bell.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Well he is in now. They certainly drug their feet handing out that offer (not as bad as the Timmons soap opera, but pretty bad).

With no O-linemen they can take 3 WR/ATH types now and still save a spot for Bell.

And just like that Smith becomes a much better player and much less a d-bag in the minds of tens of thousands of Buckeye fans ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:19 pm

He learned how important academics were during his time at JUCO Peeks.

(Smith has three years to play two, but will most certainly not be a redshirt candidate unless he is a total bust)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:59 pm

peeker643 wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:Well he is in now. They certainly drug their feet handing out that offer (not as bad as the Timmons soap opera, but pretty bad).

And just like that Smith becomes a much better player and much less a d-bag in the minds of tens of thousands of Buckeye fans ;-) ;) :wink:

Read some positive scouting reports on Smith from last year at CC, but I am still not a fan of bringing in a JUCO. It might work, but best case we get 2 years and I am not sure he is ready to start next year. At least if it is a mistake it is only a 2 year mistake.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:40 am

I watched a bunch of film on him this morning from both '11 and '12 seasons...and he looks pretty smooth and strong...good elusiveness and open field moves. Several videos here: http://ohiostate.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p= ... id=6067150

OSU didn't slow walk the offer as much as they needed to make sure his JUCO credits would transfer in without a hitch. From what I can tell their interest never waned...just had to cross the t's and dot the i's. None of which is to imply he wasn't in a pecking order behind (at least) Quick and possibly Clark. I did hear they preferred him to Gibson.

He does look like he could be a legit #3 this year, with Brown and Devin Smith.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:51 am

I don't know that they viewed him as better than Gibson for any reason but grades. Gibson was the first offer Urban made, was the best WR at FNL and was almost allowed to commit about six times. That said, yeah, I've read that they really like Smith as well.

And ultimately they dropped Gibson due to those grades (with 85 schollies they may have rolled the dice he qualifies)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:57 am

Oh and regardless, Clark/Gibson are slot guys and Clark wasn't offered until Gibson fell through. Smith, IMO, has always been the back-up plan for Quick on the outside.

I just don't buy for a second that the kid made it to an official and then it took over two weeks to nail down his transfer credits. That timing doesn't jive.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 am

Right on Gibson. If a guy can't qualify and get into OSU, it doesn't matter how much they like him. The only down side was they viewed him as a slot, and as such was redundant with Brown and Marshall and others...Jacobs?

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:03 am

Bill Greene was closer to the Corey Smith situation than anyone else. He essentially told the Scout board last night that Smith would commit today, and he has maintained all along that it was a matter of tying up the loose ends with grades that was prolonging things. I repeat...no one had better inside info on this than Bill G.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:04 am

True that, Greene has been the first to break everything with Smith. Just crazy to me that it took that damn long to lock down grades. Like I said, I thought they viewed him as the Quick back-up all along. My only thought is the Oregon mess may have caused some "feet dragging" in terms of tying up those loose ends (the Twins potential/cancelled visit specifically).

Edit: in the same regard, the delay could just be on the JUCO, meh. Regardless, I agree they liked the kid and think he can contribute right away otherwise he wouldn't be in this class.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:14 am

Like I said before...he was clearly not the Plan A...maybe not even Plan B, but Urban knows he has a shot next year, so getting a guy who can contribute early is not a small factor.

danwismar

PreviousNext

Return to College Sports Arena