Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

So how do we realistically turn this team into a winner..

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

So how do we realistically turn this team into a winner..

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:18 pm

..and turn it into a winner quickly.

I say quickly because you can't sell the fanbase on another rebuild. You can't, as a GM, a Head Coach or anyone else involved in the organization show up on the podium, and go "Listen, Give me 5 years, and you'll be a winning team".

I realize to an extent what hands we've been dealt, the GM we have is clearly not Kevin Colber. The coach is unproven, and QB we have is well, mediocre.

And yes, I know, I know ELITE QB=ELITE Team, and that's the most critical need. That option as it stands now though, doesn't exist.

So what do you do?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: So how do we realistically turn this team into a winner.

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Well we're dealt two low cards and the dealer is showing a face card ......I say go vertical with Weeds.

Draft a beast OLB/DE.

Sign some quality FA's at OLB, S, C, G.

Start the ball rolling for Teddy Bridgewater.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:22 pm

This all depends on what your definition of a "Winner" is.

Make the playoffs? Or win a Championship?
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Hikohadon wrote:This all depends on what your definition of a "Winner" is.

Make the playoffs? Or win a Championship?

Winning a Title pretty much means we go for the 0-fer, and pray Manziel/Bridgewater have amazing seasons in 2014, apply for the draft and pray we have no other teams ahead of us correct?

I'm not convinced that this current team is bad enough to be able to pull that off. Unless you want to start Derek Anderson, and believe me, If that does happen? I'm not watching a single game.

I'm not against being the Texans/Falcons at this point and being trapped in that level of purgatory. I've never really seen a legit playoff run in my lifetime. I was 4 for the AFC WildCard game against the Patriots, and let's face it, the Steelers game was a quick fix.

I think at this point the fanbase would just be happy to see us at least in contention in December/Making playoff runs. That's terrible to say, but I imagine seeing a "Well, we need, this team to lose this weekend for a home playoff game" thread would be a welcome change from "FIRE OUR DUMBASS COACH" threads.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:39 am

Tank next year. It's an unwritten rule that coaches be given at least a year before they start having to win. We've come this far, might as well just wait one more year. Draft Manziel/Bridgewater and then start to put it all together. Plus we still have at least a half dozen holes. Two years is 10 players plus your QB. More than enough to augment the guys we have now and provide some depth.

It's not hard to imagine this team with a top 2 pick and then winning in bunches the next year.

Will that happen? Probably not. There is too much talent on the roster already and the addition of competent coaching (could it get any worse than SHUR? - No) will likely get us 7+ wins. Of course, there is always the option of trading up to get the QB...which is what we probably will have to do.

Or we could take a proven path and just do exactly the opposite of whatever Mike Lombardi says. Super Bowl's will flow like water.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:21 am

Realistically? Michael Vick and hope he has something left in the tank.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:04 pm

bookelly wrote:Will that happen? Probably not. There is too much talent on the roster already and the addition of competent coaching (could it get any worse than SHUR? - No) will likely get us 7+ wins. Of course, there is always the option of trading up to get the QB...which is what we probably will have to do.

I'd try to continue to improve this year on both sides of the ball, and then attempt to go all in for Bridgewater/Manziel. Sell the farm for them, and just hope to god they pan out.

At the same time, I'd take a gamble on a QB in the later rounds in this years draft, and see if anything comes of it. Insane thought would be taking Denard Robinson (yes, he's not a pro-QB prospect), and just for the hell of it see what he has. Athletic QB's seem to be quite in vogue right now in the NFL. Again, he sure as HELL is not the solution at Quarterback, but at this point I'm willing to at least try anything.

Triple-S

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:39 pm

I thought about it and I've figured out how we can turn this team into a winner.

Convince ourselves that the new coach that got hired used to be at USC and Haslam's uniform changes look like this:

Things are looking up.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:59 am

So, I guess the good news is that Chud/Norv said they'd construct an offense around the personnel they currently had, rather than the other way around.

For once, this is good news, and I believe a move in the right direction.

Now, they didn't sound all that confident in Weeds, so, the question comes back to..who do we bring in to compete with number 3?

I'd seriously ship McCoy off to Philly, Kansas City or who ever the hell else is willing to give up at least something of value for him, or nothing at all.

Keep Weeds this season, see if there's potentially a veteran QB on the cheap you could get, along with a late QB in the draft.

Triple-S

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:08 am

Colt has less value than a box full of dead rats in a tampon factory. The only way to ship his ass anywhere is to cut him.

Which I would heartily support.
Hikohadon

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL