Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

NFL Playoff Thread

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: NFL Playoff Thread

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:24 pm

pod2dawg wrote:
bac5665 wrote:Guys, a mediocre QB is going to win a Superbowl. That is very good for the NFL. Flacco will likely never be in the same class as Brady, Mannings, etc., and I don't care how good Caeppernick will be in a few years, he's mediocre this year. One way or another, a non-elite QB will take home the title this year, and that's really interesting.


I really don't have a dog in this but according to Bradshaw, coz I am too lazy to check & he gets paid:

1. Flacco has won more games than any QB since 2008.
2. Above said has won more playoff games than any other QB since 2008.
3. Above said has the highest completion % of all QB's with passes over 25 yds and "0" interceptions since 2008.

That sounds pretty good. I would take Flacco , Caeppernick, or even Kaepernick in 2 sec. and send Weeds/McCoy to where they belong .......Ariz/Jax/ or Buffalo.


See: Bolden, Anquan

It wasn't Flacco it was ^^^^^

The Patsies dropped the ball and the Crows didn't...The End

...and FUDU is correct...they should have run that old ass D into the ground with a hurry-up...instead Mumbles gave them Hope
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:18 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Re: NFL Playoff Thread

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:31 pm

justmebd wrote:
leadpipe wrote:
justmebd wrote:Just re-read the whole thing, and now I think I see where we're diverging.

You cite the Patriots 17-1 record and their consistent playoff appearances, but note they don't consistently win the big sausage.

I think what a lot of people are forgetting when overdoing it on the Belichick praise is the AFC East.

How many division titles has Belichick won because the AFC East has consistently sucked for about a decade? The Undefeated regular season aside, I don't believe the Patriots record outside of their division hasn't been statistically anomolous. I'd have to go back and check the records year-by-year to be sure, but there it is.

Their record in the playoffs since Spygate is common knowledge.

Belichick is a great coach, no argument. But you can only coach up so many guys to a certain point before you realize 90 percent of the fifth-round draft picks taken are fifth-round draft picks for a reason.

And yes, the Browns did need every position, but passing up Clay Matthews -- TWICE -- was just fucking stupid. This is not a debatable point to me.


Ca-Rist.

They run a team out there capable of winning the Super Bowl every damn year.

Again, ring me when you see another.

You can question the process all you like but, again, THEY RUN A TEAM OUT THERE THAT CAN WIN A SUPERBOWL EVERY YEAR.

Are you insinuating Belichik would rather have a group of 4th round rummies than legitimate stars. Cause if you are, shake yourself and read the sentence again.

And again, their record since spygate and "winning the sausage." So, for example, we'll give them credit for a Super Bowl win on the backs of the tuck rule and some best kicking ever - yet when they are victim to about 25 balls thrown up for grabs - including the biggest one sticking to a helmet, well, then they are "losers."

And yeah, 14....15....16 wins will prety much win you any division.

Really, now the Pats are winning cause of an easy division....

What's next?

Lastly, not debating the clay Mathews thing now. Just that as many people were going apeshit they passed on Mark Sanchez - if not more. So again, as I stated, and the only thing I stated concerning the matter is....playing the result.

Any other NFL team or fan ripping on how the Pats approach things....you've got 31 better targets.

Hope they get an easy schedule draw next year or they're F'd.

Either that or they'll hang 13 or 14 no matter who's hurt or what the hell else goes on.

You're getting way too worked up over this. :)
The Pats do put a team on the field capable of winning the SB every year. They also beat the teams they're supposed to beat during the regular season.

The problem is once they hit the playoffs in recent years, all their problems get exposed, and their approach to fixing those problems is something Pats fans should be getting upset about and are getting upset about.

You're filtering this through the lens of a Browns fan and . . YES, I'd LOVE to have the Patriots problems, doesn't mean you can't criticize them.

If you think the Pats would be where they are today playing in the NFC North, then I want to know what YOU are smoking. You can't tell me playing crap teams every year hasn't helped their cause or masked problems, because you'd be wrong.

No reason to think the Pats won't be in the playoffs next year, also no reason to think they won't get bounced again if Belichick and the front office don't address the defense and WR position.

This won't happen if Belichick keeps trading down. I'm not saying he'd prefer low-round picks, but look at his draft record and tell me he doesn't shy away from top-picks if they aren't EXACTLY what he's looking for.

It's not rocket science, and Captain Hoodie isn't perfect, so I fail to understand why you have him on this unassailable pedestal. We're arguing because I could care less what Belichick has done in the past. The fact is he could have and should have won more Super Bowls, but he hasn't, therefore he is fair game for criticism.

Mangini beat the guy with a POS team in 2009!!

It's not about 31 other teams, this was just about picking apart the Patriots loss to the Ravens yesterday. If you want to pick apart other teams, we can set up a thread for that. Lack of building depth on defense, primarily through poor drafting the last few years, has been a big argument in the Pats community the last few years, go check it out if you don't believe me.

You cite some close wins and the close loss in the SBs for the Patriots, but there was nothing close about last night's game, so I don't see the correlation. You're changing the structure of the argument to fit your side -- which is fine, I do it too. :)

On a personal level, there is nothing I enjoy more as a sports fan than watching Belichick and Brady get humiliated in the playoffs because they're arrogant jag-offs who seem to increasingly be unable to see the forest for the trees, so fuck 'em. I hope they miss the playoffs next year with a healthy Tom Brady so there's no excuses.


Your last paragraph explains quite a bit.

You seem to have a dog in this fight. I don't. Just facts.

Not sure what you're reading, cause you are putting words in my mouth.

For example, I ain't looking at anything through the lens of a Browns fan. As anyone here can read, I never brought them up. you are the one who compared the trading down of Alex Mack to the Patriots trading down, even though it's apples to oranges.

And they'd win the AFC North about every damn year as well, so, not sure I'd be smokin' anything. Their "Trouble" team in the Ravens from that division just won their 3rd game in 10 tries. Check out Pitts regular and post season success. Good God man, playing easy teams help anyone, but as evidenced by them routinely hanging 12's 13's 14's and 16's nobody the hell else is beating them either.

And acting as if they are hopeless in the playoffs, as if a zillion holes led Wes Welker to drop a pass last year....

Look, NEVER said the Pats were beyond reproach. I SAID Beli has made mistakes in the draft. But good Christ is it a reach to say matter of factly trading down has been the reason why. THAT's insinuation. Again, trading down has allowed them to make more mistakes. Trading down has consistently kept them in great cap shape should a situation arise that they need to go and get somebody.

And let's say they don't trade down and pick some good players, that'd be great. That would allow them to have a chance to win the Super Bowl every year....

They've had a 12 year run without peer in modern football. You wanna change things up, that's your opinion. I'm going to go ahead and assume they gotta pretty good grasp of how things work. Again, once you uncover the squad doing so much correctly that they rip off 4 or 5 bowls in a row, let us know.

Sometimes they get outplayed. Sometimes they get outcoached. But it ain't what you do some of the time, it's what you do most of the time.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6593
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: NFL Playoff Thread

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:23 pm

Again, we're having two different conversations.

I don't know how else to explain this.

EDIT: Wait, I can.

Your "facts" comment bothered me because it's a grand statement with nothing but bullshit behind it, and I mean that in a nice way.

Distilled to its purest form, you are using stats, records, etc., to support an argument. You are doing this because you disagree with my argument.

Fine.

But your argument basically is: Belichick is God, and here's why. So I'll add a bunch of stuff/analysis to support my opinion and pass it all off as "Fact."

My argument is: Belichick is Good, but he's not God, and here's why. I'm going to pass it off as is with my stuff/analysis and you can take it however you like, but I'm not going to drink the Kool-Aid.

So to my original point, we're having two different converations. It's all bullshit, though, because we're two people with no current connection to anybody in the league that I know of.

Can we hug it out now?
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1473
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: NFL Playoff Thread

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:21 am

justmebd wrote:Again, we're having two different conversations.

I don't know how else to explain this.

EDIT: Wait, I can.

Your "facts" comment bothered me because it's a grand statement with nothing but bullshit behind it, and I mean that in a nice way.

Distilled to its purest form, you are using stats, records, etc., to support an argument. You are doing this because you disagree with my argument.

Fine.

But your argument basically is: Belichick is God, and here's why. So I'll add a bunch of stuff/analysis to support my opinion and pass it all off as "Fact."

My argument is: Belichick is Good, but he's not God, and here's why. I'm going to pass it off as is with my stuff/analysis and you can take it however you like, but I'm not going to drink the Kool-Aid.

So to my original point, we're having two different converations. It's all bullshit, though, because we're two people with no current connection to anybody in the league that I know of.

Can we hug it out now?


Plenty of FACTS there, whether you want to hear them or not.

They win a ton of games a year. FACT. For example.

They have no peer in the sport the past 12 years. FACT. As another.

And my argument clearly isn't Belichik is God. That's clear to anyone that can read the posts.

My point is simple. The Patriots and Belichik are following a very successful recipe. The way they work the draft is part of that recipe. They ain't trading down for shits and giggles - there's reasons behind it - clearly. And again, my proof is in FACT. That is the FACT that 31 teams as organizations are looking up at them.

I think they understand how to build a team. Things are cyclical to a degree - especially when you're drafting in the 30's for your first round pick every year (Save the picks they fleeced other teams for) Yeah, it'd be great if every defensive player they drafted worked out, and they could be dominant on both sides of the ball. It ain't that easy, furthermore, there's no proof in FACT that if they'da kept their high picks things would be different. You could argue just as easily they'd be worse.

There's a big difference between God and the best.

But for the Patriots to have the run they've had under his tenure you need to be one of those two. I'd agree he's not God. So what does that leave you?
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6593
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: NFL Playoff Thread

Unread postby Lubber » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:06 am

justmebd wrote:
So to my original point, we're having two different converations. It's all bullshit, though, because we're two people with no current connection to anybody in the league that I know of.

Can we hug it out now?


Your original point:
Clearly Tom Brady is suffering from diminished skills and should be cut immediately. There is no excuse for that kind of play on a Bill Belichick team.

On a more serious note, the years of consistently trading down out of the first round now are catching up with Belichick. You can't keep a quality team year-after-year on the blind arrogance you can develop every third-, fourth- and fifth-round pick you pick up on concession, look at the Browns.


Brady - diminished skills?... i think you lost all credibility right there in that one sentence.

With regards to the draft, now you are just being silly. Belichick is one of the best on draft day.

2011- Steven Ridley in 3rd round
2010 - Gronk and Brandon Spikes in 2nd, Aaron Hernandez in 4th, Starting Punter(Mesko) in 5th, starting center(Larson) in 6th,
2009 - 4 2nd round picks, 3 starters

2012 - 11-1 in AFC
2011 - 10-2 in AFC
2010 - 10-2 in AFC

They are not just beating their division, they are beating their conference consistently.

Remind us again about your original point/reason for the Patriots losing their grip as the favorite to win the AFC each year?
User avatar
Lubber
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:42 am
Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Re: NFL Playoff Thread

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Lubber wrote:
justmebd wrote:
So to my original point, we're having two different converations. It's all bullshit, though, because we're two people with no current connection to anybody in the league that I know of.

Can we hug it out now?


Your original point:
Clearly Tom Brady is suffering from diminished skills and should be cut immediately. There is no excuse for that kind of play on a Bill Belichick team.


Brady - diminished skills?... i think you lost all credibility right there in that one sentence.

He was being facetious. Belichick let Kosar go because of his diminished skills, so...
User avatar
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Brooklyn
Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: NFL Playoff Thread

Unread postby Lubber » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:57 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:
Lubber wrote:
justmebd wrote:]

Brady - diminished skills?... i think you lost all credibility right there in that one sentence.

He was being facetious. Belichick let Kosar go because of his diminished skills, so...


Sooo. You are comparing Kosar to Brady?

Belichick was 100 percent correct on Bernie.

Brady has another 3-4 years before BB lets him go
User avatar
Lubber
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:42 am
Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Re: NFL Playoff Thread

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:36 pm

What part of facetious don't you understand? And why am I fighting for a guy who's opinion I don't agree with at all?
User avatar
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!
 
Posts: 1933
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Brooklyn
Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: NFL Playoff Thread

Unread postby Lubber » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:40 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:What part of facetious don't you understand? And why am I fighting for a guy who's opinion I don't agree with at all?


No idea. Maybe you should let the other fella clear it up for himself if he can
User avatar
Lubber
 
Posts: 1347
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:42 am
Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Re: NFL Playoff Thread

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:24 pm

Flacco won the contest for Lub, so this is an official announcement that contest is over. I ain't shellin' out a bill a year for these fucks.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4306
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: NFL Playoff Thread

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:20 pm

Yesterday Big Brother out coached little brother.

sincerely,

B. Brother


P.S. Fire Marshall, Anquan is a Free Agent. :)
User avatar
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm
Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest