Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Another QB Again

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Another QB Again

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:13 pm

From the press conference and the fact that even Chud hasn't talked to Weeden yet, I have to believe that Peeks gets his fondest wish and they move on from Weeds.

Which I'm fine with, provided you obtain an upgrade. Maybe not The Answer, but an upgrade.

Because if you expend resources to get a Ryan Mallet or Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins, you're most likely making nothing more than a lateral move. Trading a 1st or 3rd round pick to get a younger Brandon Weeden is not good business in my book.

There are only a few options I see out there right now. Maybe Alex (yawn) Smith. He will likely be a FA, and probably would be somewhat of an upgrade. And I still find Mike Vick intriguing despite the fact that half the world hates him and he'll only last 6 games.

Please don't bother me with names like Matt Flynn or Matt Cassel.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Another QB Again

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Chud said that he has talked to Weeden, and that it was a good talk.

That being said, no one is making any definitive statements about who is going to be under center..... (or even anything remotely close) and the fact that they're hedging on it, each time, doesn't bode well for Bweeds.

At the very absolute least, I expect them to bring in more of a veteran (Mallet, Moore, any other +arm FA qb) to compete for the starting job. Not a bullshit competition, either.

Wouldn't be completely shocked to see them take a look at Vick, either.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Smith, from what I've heard, doesn't have the arm. Don't see Vick leaving unless Kelly's tight with PETA, but I'd take a shot if he's available.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:49 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Smith, from what I've heard, doesn't have the arm. Don't see Vick leaving unless Kelly's tight with PETA, but I'd take a shot if he's available.

Vick is owed $15 mil next year - I highly doubt they keep him unless he restructures.

Smith's arm is indeed mediocre. But if these guys were GREAT options they'd be starting somewhere.
Hikohadon

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:50 pm

My $ would be on Ryan Mallett. Have heard Lombardi fawn over him before. It would not surprise me at all to even see somekind of Weeden for Mallett trade.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:50 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:Chud said that he has talked to Weeden, and that it was a good talk.

That being said, no one is making any definitive statements about who is going to be under center..... (or even anything remotely close) and the fact that they're hedging on it, each time, doesn't bode well for Bweeds.

At the very absolute least, I expect them to bring in more of a veteran (Mallet, Moore, any other +arm FA qb) to compete for the starting job. Not a bullshit competition, either.

Wouldn't be completely shocked to see them take a look at Vick, either.

Had heard that Chud hadn't talked to him, but my fault for listening to KNR.

Weeden vs. Mallet or Moore... man, it'll be hard to sleep during that QB competition.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:52 pm

swerb wrote:My $ would be on Ryan Mallett. Have heard Lombardi fawn over him before. It would not surprise me at all to even see somekind of Weeden for Mallett trade.

Trading a significant pick and Brandon Weeden for a younger Brandon Weeden would seem to be a logical Lombardi move.
Hikohadon

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:55 pm

My prediction: Weeden and a 4th rounder to the Pats for Mallett.

Then Brady gets hurt in week 15 next year and Weeden leads Belichick and the Pats to their second straight Super Bowl win over the 49ers, DESPITE Weeden getting lost coming out of the tunnel for 15 minutes right before game time.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:08 pm

At least Mallet showed that he can beat a real defense, didn't build his college resume throwing to wide open receivers in the Big 12.

Honestly, if he decides to go get Mallet, it's the best of what are some pretty disastrous other possibilities. (Unless he blows a 1st/2nd rounder on him, which is also incredibly possible) I could see them wasting a pick on a high round QB in THIS draft, which is.....

ugh.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Gradysmanldy wrote:At least Mallet showed that he can beat a real defense, didn't build his college resume throwing to wide open receivers in the Big 12.

Honestly, if he decides to go get Mallet, it's the best of what are some pretty disastrous other possibilities. (Unless he blows a 1st/2nd rounder on him, which is also incredibly possible) I could see them wasting a pick on a high round QB in THIS draft, which is.....

ugh.

I disagree. Ryan Mallet never showed me a damn thing in college. He showed the ability to throw picks in big games and to lose against all the tough teams he faced.

Slow, plodding, dropback passer with a good arm that occasionally made wow throws and then made boneheaded throws to make up for it. Will never have a low INT rate. Questionable brain. Rename him Brandek Weedenson and there you go.

But, as you are demonstrating, it can certainly be argued that sparrow shit is different than robin shit.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:21 pm

No, instead Mallet built his college resume to read "Throws picks whenever least advantageous for his team, melts down every crucial series and is good for five throws a game that are inconceivably stupid"
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Only game of his that I watched was that shit poor OSU game, where he did all of the above. (made some incredible throws, made some remarkably stupid throws) He had good numbers playing in a tough conference though.

The biggest concern was his inability to definitively beat Brian Fackin' Hoyer for the backup gig in NE, and the fact that there hasn't been boo on people looking at him in a trade scenario before this year.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Forget about Mallet's problems in the clutch for a second....

The real problem is that he smells of a common Belichik scheme...that is, I think the Patriots drafted the guy to just this - sucker some team down the road into giving him more draft picks.

Mallet coming out had the knock of not really having "the make-up" of what Beli routinely collects for the long haul.

And if I'm going to take a chance, hell, if ANYONE is gonna take a chance on a QB - and is watching what is going on with the league, I'd like to take my chances with the opposite of a statue.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL