Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:24 pm

This is a long read, but it's an unbelievable story:

http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos- ... -is-a-hoax
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14350
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Helluva way to try and drum up Heisman support.

If true, of course, but I have no trouble believing it.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:08 pm

If Burfict went undrafted, so should Te'o
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
User avatar
gotribe31
 
Posts: 2494
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:38 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA
Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:20 pm

gotribe31 wrote:If Burfict went undrafted, so should Te'o


He drops to the 3rd and I snap him up.

Don't really care that he's a soulless douchebag. Most of 'em probably are anyway. Not hiring him to tutor my children.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:23 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:If Burfict went undrafted, so should Te'o


He drops to the 3rd and I snap him up.

Don't really care that he's a soulless douchebag. Most of 'em probably are anyway. Not hiring him to tutor my children.


What about the fact he can't play?
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3715
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:23 pm

Wow. Just wow. This might be the craziest sports story ever.
User avatar
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!
 
Posts: 1940
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Brooklyn
Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:27 pm

http://www.isportstimes.com/articles/5287/20130116/manti-teo-dead-girlfriend-hoax-deadspin-lennay-kekua.htm

Notre Dame releases statement stating Manti is victim of a hoax.

Not sure who buys THAT, and wow for Notre Dame getting involved in the CYA after what happened at Penn State last year.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:28 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:If Burfict went undrafted, so should Te'o


He drops to the 3rd and I snap him up.

Don't really care that he's a soulless douchebag. Most of 'em probably are anyway. Not hiring him to tutor my children.


What about the fact he can't play?


I'm not sure how that would stop them from taking him.

I think he can play well enough for a 3rd rounder. Maybe 4th.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:37 pm

Hikohadon wrote:http://www.isportstimes.com/articles/5287/20130116/manti-teo-dead-girlfriend-hoax-deadspin-lennay-kekua.htm

Notre Dame releases statement stating Manti is victim of a hoax.

Not sure who buys THAT...


(raises hand)

More likely scenario:

A) Dumb LB is fooled for a year into thinking he has a girlfriend he's never met.

or

B) Dumb LB and his fellow conspirator spend A YEAR setting this all up before starting to exploit it.

Both seem pretty Fing unbelievable, but I'm leaning towards A being a smidgen less so.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:43 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:http://www.isportstimes.com/articles/5287/20130116/manti-teo-dead-girlfriend-hoax-deadspin-lennay-kekua.htm

Notre Dame releases statement stating Manti is victim of a hoax.

Not sure who buys THAT...


(raises hand)

More likely scenario:

A) Dumb LB is fooled for a year into thinking he has a girlfriend he's never met.

or

B) Dumb LB and his fellow conspirator spend A YEAR setting this all up before starting to exploit it.

Both seem pretty Fing unbelievable, but I'm leaning towards A being a smidgen less so.


I would say go back and read the article again and some of the quotes attributed to Te'o about the girl and then tell me you still believe that he was just hoaxed.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:53 pm

"My girlfriend, when she was at St. Jude's in LA, she had a little friend."

"All she wanted was some white roses. So I sent her roses and sent her two picks along with that."

^Only direct quotes I could find on a skim.

-Dumb LB

-"We spoke with friends and relatives of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo who asserted that Ronaiah was the man behind Lennay. He created Lennay in 2008, one source said, and Te'o wasn't the first person to have an online "relationship" with her. One mark—who had been "introduced" to Lennay by Tuiasosopo—lasted about a month before family members grew suspicious that Lennay could never be found on the telephone, and that wherever one expected Lennay to be, Ronaiah was there instead."

-"Mostly, though, the friend simply couldn't believe that Te'o would be stupid enough—or Ronaiah Tuiasosopo clever enough—to sustain the relationship for nearly a year."

<--can
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:57 pm

And he's Mormon.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:03 pm

HoodooMan wrote:And he's Mormon.


Ah, well then he must be innocent.

The timeline of the South Bend Tribune doesn't jive at all. Who provided them with this timeline?

Girlfriend dies in car accident. You don't talk to her parents? Her friends? You don't Facetime the funeral? You don't visit the grave?

Don't buy it. If you want to, enjoy.

PS - this quote:

-"Mostly, though, the friend simply couldn't believe that Te'o would be stupid enough—or Ronaiah Tuiasosopo clever enough—to sustain the relationship for nearly a year."


Means the friend thought he was in on it.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:08 pm

Dude had a long distance relationship with someone so close he turned into Superman the Saturday after she died. Yet he never met her face to face. Never Skyped. It was all a hoax. Well, okay then.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:32 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:And he's Mormon.


Ah, well then he must be innocent.


No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

He's Mormon.

He and his family have already been duped by ONE elaborate hoax. Why not another?

So you'd have me believe that in October of 2011, Manti and this kid get together and fake a relationship for a year, using an account that dates back to 2008 that the other kid's already use to dupe someone else, so that the two of them can fake the fake girlfriend's death the next season...why, exactly? Because Manti knows his faked tragedy will coincide with ND's undefeated season, and knowing that, he'll enjoy a windfall of exposure, and enjoying that, he'll skyrocket up NFL draft boards?

I'm sticking with Dumb LB thinks he has a girlfriend half a country away, but someone's really just F'ing with him. (At least as a less unbelievable story.)
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:42 pm

I just read a theory that T'eo and the Tiuasusopo kid created the girl to cover up their own relationship, families being religious and all. Makes more sense then anything else I've heard, and is pretty tragic.
User avatar
bac5665
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:47 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:And he's Mormon.


Ah, well then he must be innocent.


No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

He's Mormon.

He and his family have already been duped by ONE elaborate hoax. Why not another?


Well, for me, that goes for anyone believing in any religion, but I getcha now, and good line.

HoodooMan wrote:Because Manti knows his faked tragedy will coincide with ND's undefeated season, and knowing that, he'll enjoy a windfall of exposure, and enjoying that, he'll skyrocket up NFL draft boards?


Hey, he's a dumb LB.

My personal thought was that this had more to do with his Heisman campaign than anything involving the draft or ND's undefeated season, but I still find the idea more plausible than having an invisible girlfriend who then dies (invisibly) and this doesn't seem odd to even the dumbest dude.

But it did work on Karla in an episode of Cheers, so I guess anything is possible. No way is Karla dumb.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Most elaborate troll of all time if true.

If true.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3514
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:34 pm

bac5665 wrote:I just read a theory that T'eo and the Tiuasusopo kid created the girl to cover up their own relationship, families being religious and all. Makes more sense then anything else I've heard, and is pretty tragic.

Then why "kill" her off, and in such a public way?

If they were trying to "hide" their "forbidden love", there would be so many better ways to do it.

Even a repressed homosexual suicide pact would make more sense. Then their dads could stand over their coffins with a football and tell the world "I love my dead gay son!"
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:46 pm

The theory goes, they killed her off so that people wouldn't try and bring her to games, send her to ESPN, etc., on the grounds that ND boosters are crazy.

I'm not saying that they did the smartest thing. I'm not even sure I'm advocating this theory. I am saying that I think it makes more sense than any other scenario out there.
User avatar
bac5665
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:15 pm
Location: Columbus Ohio
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:47 pm

There has to at least be some traceable evidence out there that could help point in one direction or the other.

He says he sent her flowers. There should be some record of this somewhere, right?

If they talked on the phone, phone records, etc...
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:51 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
bac5665 wrote:I just read a theory that T'eo and the Tiuasusopo kid created the girl to cover up their own relationship, families being religious and all. Makes more sense then anything else I've heard, and is pretty tragic.

Then why "kill" her off, and in such a public way?

If they were trying to "hide" their "forbidden love", there would be so many better ways to do it.

Even a repressed homosexual suicide pact would make more sense. Then their dads could stand over their coffins with a football and tell the world "I love my dead gay son!"


R.I.P. Ram!
Image
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
User avatar
Larvell Blanks
 
Posts: 2575
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Medina, Ohio
Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:52 pm

George O'Leary believs Manti would never lie
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
User avatar
Larvell Blanks
 
Posts: 2575
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Medina, Ohio
Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:59 pm

HoodooMan wrote:There has to at least be some traceable evidence out there that could help point in one direction or the other.

He says he sent her flowers. There should be some record of this somewhere, right?

If they talked on the phone, phone records, etc...


I agree. If Manti is telling the truth, there will probably be a way he can prove it. Like where he sent the flowers (if he sent flowers).

If he's full of shit, there'll be evidence for that too.

Now that Pandora's box is opened, lotta shit gonna hit the fan.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:04 pm

bac5665 wrote:The theory goes, they killed her off so that people wouldn't try and bring her to games, send her to ESPN, etc., on the grounds that ND boosters are crazy.

I'm not saying that they did the smartest thing. I'm not even sure I'm advocating this theory. I am saying that I think it makes more sense than any other scenario out there.


Even then wouldn't the first, obvious, choice be to, you know...break up? Won't that be a lot less scrutiny than killing off car crash leukemia girl?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:35 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
bac5665 wrote:The theory goes, they killed her off so that people wouldn't try and bring her to games, send her to ESPN, etc., on the grounds that ND boosters are crazy.

I'm not saying that they did the smartest thing. I'm not even sure I'm advocating this theory. I am saying that I think it makes more sense than any other scenario out there.


Even then wouldn't the first, obvious, choice be to, you know...break up? Won't that be a lot less scrutiny than killing off car crash leukemia girl?


We may have a case of mental illness going on here. Just saw a brief part of the ESPN interview Teo did after the death. He seems a bit crazy IMHO.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3514
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby idoctribefan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:37 pm

According to the South Bend Tribune (according to Deadspin) Te'o met Lennay after a Stanford/Notre Dame game in 2009. I don't see a direct quote from a specific person that says that, but they must've gotten that from either Manti or a family member. So if this WAS a trick played on Manti, doesn't that mean that whoever was pulling this stunt got a female involved to meet with him? And Manti was able to see these Twitter pictures from this real woman in Torrance, CA, right? Wouldn't he have been able to tell it wasn't the same woman he met in Palo Alto in 2009?

My initial inclination is to believe that Manti and this Ronaiah were involved in this hoax together. That is assuming that this South Bend newspaper is accurate in stating that Manti claimed he had met her before. If he never claimed to have met her, then I'd be more inclined to give Manti the benefit of the doubt initially.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
User avatar
idoctribefan
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:41 pm

I remember when Hawkeye and Trapper came up with this plan 30 years ago to get supplies for the orphanage. All those tears when Captain Tuttle was laid to rest.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22781
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby idoctribefan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:43 pm

Jack Swarbrick (Notre Dame AD) wrapping up a presser now. You can watch it from the beginning at nbcsports.com
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
User avatar
idoctribefan
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 pm

The most amazing part of all of this....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ently-hoax

ESPN actually sourced Deadspin. ESPN hates sourcing ANY other site and usually falls behind their "sources report" BS, but in this instance they were forced to not only source someone else, but the website that they hate more than any other.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:48 pm

idoctribefan wrote:According to the South Bend Tribune (according to Deadspin) Te'o met Lennay after a Stanford/Notre Dame game in 2009. I don't see a direct quote from a specific person that says that, but they must've gotten that from either Manti or a family member. So if this WAS a trick played on Manti, doesn't that mean that whoever was pulling this stunt got a female involved to meet with him? And Manti was able to see these Twitter pictures from this real woman in Torrance, CA, right? Wouldn't he have been able to tell it wasn't the same woman he met in Palo Alto in 2009?


Manti could have lied about lots of things while still having been duped, too--if he was embarrassed about what he thought was the "true" nature of his relationship.

"Hey, Mom & Dad, I met this great new girl on Twitter/after the Stanford game." Which is an easier message, do you think?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:49 pm

bookelly wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
bac5665 wrote:The theory goes, they killed her off so that people wouldn't try and bring her to games, send her to ESPN, etc., on the grounds that ND boosters are crazy.

I'm not saying that they did the smartest thing. I'm not even sure I'm advocating this theory. I am saying that I think it makes more sense than any other scenario out there.


Even then wouldn't the first, obvious, choice be to, you know...break up? Won't that be a lot less scrutiny than killing off car crash leukemia girl?


We may have a case of mental illness going on here. Just saw a brief part of the ESPN interview Teo did after the death. He seems a bit crazy IMHO.


He's got some guns too!

Image
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13358
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Jadeveon Clowny's latest tweet...

"...Mantei Teo has 99 problems but a girl ain't one."
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
User avatar
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"
 
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:47 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:59 pm

Also, DooDoo:

"In an interview with ESPN for "College GameDay" on Oct. 2, Te'o said that Kekua's last words to him were "I love you." He also said that she was "the most beautiful girl I've ever met.""

That doesn't really jive with dumb football player.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby idoctribefan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:01 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
idoctribefan wrote:According to the South Bend Tribune (according to Deadspin) Te'o met Lennay after a Stanford/Notre Dame game in 2009. I don't see a direct quote from a specific person that says that, but they must've gotten that from either Manti or a family member. So if this WAS a trick played on Manti, doesn't that mean that whoever was pulling this stunt got a female involved to meet with him? And Manti was able to see these Twitter pictures from this real woman in Torrance, CA, right? Wouldn't he have been able to tell it wasn't the same woman he met in Palo Alto in 2009?


Manti could have lied about lots of things while still having been duped, too--if he was embarrassed about what he thought was the "true" nature of his relationship.

"Hey, Mom & Dad, I met this great new girl on Twitter/after the Stanford game." Which is an easier message, do you think?


In Swarbrick's presser, he takes a question from a reporter who asks about Manti previously claiming to have met the woman. Swarbrick says he asked Manti about that and Manti gave him a good explanation, which Manti will eventually reveal to the public in due time.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
User avatar
idoctribefan
 
Posts: 1218
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:35 pm
Location: NE Ohio
Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby dem425 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:03 pm

Deadspin now reporting that T'eo and Ronaiah and Lennay were all allegedly seen together the weekend after she had "died" at some bar named Ber'nais..........
dem425
 
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:31 pm
Location: Now in Strongsville
Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:06 pm

idoctribefan wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:
idoctribefan wrote:According to the South Bend Tribune (according to Deadspin) Te'o met Lennay after a Stanford/Notre Dame game in 2009. I don't see a direct quote from a specific person that says that, but they must've gotten that from either Manti or a family member. So if this WAS a trick played on Manti, doesn't that mean that whoever was pulling this stunt got a female involved to meet with him? And Manti was able to see these Twitter pictures from this real woman in Torrance, CA, right? Wouldn't he have been able to tell it wasn't the same woman he met in Palo Alto in 2009?


Manti could have lied about lots of things while still having been duped, too--if he was embarrassed about what he thought was the "true" nature of his relationship.

"Hey, Mom & Dad, I met this great new girl on Twitter/after the Stanford game." Which is an easier message, do you think?


In Swarbrick's presser, he takes a question from a reporter who asks about Manti previously claiming to have met the woman. Swarbrick says he asked Manti about that and Manti gave him a good explanation, which Manti will eventually reveal to the public in due time.


When he thinks of it.

Life experience has taught me that in such situations you just stop and say "You know what, I fucked up. I did XYZ and I have no idea what the fuck I was thinking. I fully accept all the criticism that comes my way, beat me the fuck up so we can all move on with our lives."

There is NO way that happens, however. Like the 10 zillion guys that got caught in a lie before him, he'll try to lie his way out of it.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4379
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:08 pm

"Kekua's last words" = "Some chick on the phone's last words"

"Most beautiful girl I ever met" = "I met her on the Twitterz, you know."

Either direction feels like a stretch to me. I'm just having a really hard time imaging two 20 yr olds putting so much time and effort into something like this. One 20 yr old fucking with another 20 yr old, and putting that much time and effort into it--THAT, I buy. The guy had to be fucking rollin' off his chair several times a day. But two 20 yr olds saying "This would be some funny shit! OK, we've got it going. Now, we should totally start fucking with people...in about a year from now. Yeah, this is going to be hilarious...in about a year from now. For now, we wait."





















































"Aaaaaaaaand wait."

...
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:10 pm

As you said upthread, the phone thing is what throws me.

This was a GUY running this entire thing, no one has any evidence of a girl being involved yet, etc.

So now you get to the stretches that are:

1) Te'o never actually spoke with this girl and had nothing more than a Twitter relationship w/ THE LOVEZ OF HIS LIFE!!$!!!

2) A third person was a part of all of this and a fake phone buddy (8 HOUR PHONE CONVERSATIONS!!!!), which if true you would think ND would have already found this chick and paraded her around to prove just how blatantly DUPED America's Favorite Mormon was!
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:13 pm

Image

^Roniah on the left.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:14 pm

Yea, things really have changed since I went to college. All my football friends had multiple "girlfriends" . The Mormons had no problem having several. It was strange the All-American safety sure fire first round draft pick somehow had more women ( real not perceived) than anyone else.

.....dumb LB
User avatar
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm
Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:17 pm

I mean after Brandon Davies was kicked off BYU's team for getting with his GF I can understand why a mormon would want an online relationship.....

It's the one thing that makes some sense about the DUPED!$!!@ theory.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby scott » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:26 pm

dem425 wrote:Deadspin now reporting that T'eo and Ronaiah and Lennay were all allegedly seen together the weekend after she had "died" at some bar named Ber'nais..........


Don't see this on Deadspin right now. Not saying they aren't reporting it......


So I totally buy the 'he was duped and had a fake GF online for a year' story. He made up the met after Stanford game so his teammates didn't think he had an online GF. And sure, he made more of it than it was after she died, explains the 'love of my life' bs. All seems plausible and the most obvious answer is probably the true one.

But, say you do fall in love with a girl online. Talk to her most nights for a year. She dies. You never call and speak to her parents? You don't make an effort to get out to Cali after the game? Is he really that dense?

What we know so far doesn't add up.

Which throws up more red flags for an NFL team about to draft?

1) LB perpetrates this whole ridiculous hoax with a friend.
2) LB is so dumb he has a fake online GF for a year?
User avatar
scott
 
Posts: 1042
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:33 pm

The other thing, this guy isn't going to survive an NFL locker-room.

His career may be dead before it starts.

Just read how hard Clowney is trolling him on Twitter right now, that shit is going to be child's play.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:52 pm

His chick wasn't from Niagara Falls, was she?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22781
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Guys, I have to come clean. There is no motherscratcher. I made him up. I figured creating an over-the-top ass hat like that would have tipped you all off but when it didn't, well, I decided to run with it and have some fun, see how ridiculous I could go. Rambling, incoherent posts, cartoon character nature, all of it a sham.

I don't know who should be more ashamed, me for perpetrating that ridiculous board presence here or you guys for falling for it. Seriously, how many dentists are that dopey and have that much time for tomfoolery.

You're all idiots.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22781
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 pm

Lmao
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13358
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:36 pm

:-(
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?
 
Posts: 13982
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:41 pm
Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:59 pm

peeker643 wrote:Guys, I have to come clean. There is no motherscratcher. I made him up. I figured creating an over-the-top ass hat like that would have tipped you all off but when it didn't, well, I decided to run with it and have some fun, see how ridiculous I could go. Rambling, incoherent posts, cartoon character nature, all of it a sham.

I don't know who should be more ashamed, me for perpetrating that ridiculous board presence here or you guys for falling for it. Seriously, how many dentists are that dopey and have that much time for tomfoolery.

You're all idiots.


that's f%^^^cking funny. :lmfao:
User avatar
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:34 pm
Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Re: Deadspin Manti Te'o Story

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:17 am

Morman Shmorman. The star linebacker of an undeafeated Notre Dame squad has GOT to be throwing the hammer down live and in stereo.

If he's not, for the love of TD Jesus, what an underachiever.

What the hell do I know. I wasn't there, but the cats who usually have the time to fall into a deep online relationship, well, as a rule they don't have drunken college coeds forming a handjob line outside the dorm.

Appears he doesn't do well in space on or off the field.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6636
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Who is online

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests