Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Movie Recommendation Thread

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Movie Recommendation Thread

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:32 pm

cozmeesah wrote:Silver Linings Playbook. They sold it as a quasi rom-com chick flick, but it's not. Saw it twice & both times it seemed the guys in the audience enjoyed it more than the women. It's hilarious & wonderful.

Bradley Cooper is fantastic (really. I was shocked,) DeNiro the best he's been in YEARS, Jennifer Lawrence is amazing (and looking quite hot for all you guys). Even Chris Tucker is a riot when he's on screen. Throw in football fan superstitions & sports betting, I think you guys would really enjoy this film.

It's only in 746 theaters right now, but expands on Jan. 18th. Check it out, you won't regret it.

If you need to see a movie with a chick Silver Linings is about as good as it gets.

The first 95% of the movie is great before it completely dumps all over itself by morphing into every rom-com ever for the standard shitty cliche ending.

Outside of the end though, it was interesting and fun for sure.

I refused to see it at first expecting standard rom-com crap and was finally forced into it and ended up glad I was (outside of how infuriatingly terrible the end sells out the movie).
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby cozmeesah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:01 pm

Well, I personally don't care that the ending was cliché. It wouldn't have seemed right had it ended any other way.

Nothing is 100% original or unpredictable. Yet people always talk about anything being even remotely cliché as such a bad thing.
cozmeesah

Favorite Player: Grady Sizemore
Least Favorite Player: AJ Pierzynski

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:19 pm

The way they wrapped the entire evolution of Cooper's character up in a four second realization while reading a letter was a disservice to his performance, the entire character's arch and a huge bow to cliche shit instead of actually finishing the character in a solid manner.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:16 pm

cozmeesah wrote:Silver Linings Playbook. They sold it as a quasi rom-com chick flick, but it's not. Saw it twice & both times it seemed the guys in the audience enjoyed it more than the women. It's hilarious & wonderful.

Bradley Cooper is fantastic (really. I was shocked,) DeNiro the best he's been in YEARS, Jennifer Lawrence is amazing (and looking quite hot for all you guys). Even Chris Tucker is a riot when he's on screen. Throw in football fan superstitions & sports betting, I think you guys would really enjoy this film.

It's only in 746 theaters right now, but expands on Jan. 18th. Check it out, you won't regret it.

I agree that it was a great acting performance by Cooper and his crazy ass girlfriend (who you're right looked hot and better then she did in the Hunger Games). Both of them pulled-off the 25% normal/75% crazy persona very well, they were very believable. De Niro's performance was also solid. Don't know who the crazy chicks sister was but she looked hot too.

Overall good movie with some wierdness that made it interesting and somewhat different.

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:46 pm

Saw Lincoln this weekend. One, DDL is phenomenal. IFFF it does win Best Picture, he's almost solely responsible for it. He really does become Lincoln and the audience gets emotionally attached to him.

Some will complain about the lack of action in the film and the "pace" of it. Ignore this. It's mostly a function of the narrow subject matter- 13th Amendment. After the first 20 mins., it's fine.

My biggest issue was that too many of the characters were simply two-dimensional canvasses with no depth. And Sally Field was great for the first 70-80 mins., before degenerating into a 2-dimensional cliche.

Lincoln was quite good. Argo was better.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:31 pm

CleSportsTruth wrote:One, DDL is phenomenal. IFFF it does win Best Picture, he's almost solely responsible for it. He really does become Lincoln

He's nothing like the Lincoln I remember.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:38 pm

^ LIBERTY HATER
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Sally got a minute for every year she's been alive, what a nice gesture.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:55 pm

Zero dark thirty was AWESOME. I usually hate movies because most plots are similar or characters are similar from movie to movie (although I do like Will Farrell douchey character, and Vince Vaughn as a quick witted smart ass.) But this film was thrilling from start to end, without cutting thru half a movie of bullshit to get to the good part. They show some intergation scenes,and while it can be a bit dry, but its 2 and a half hours well spent. Spoiler Alert: They kill Bin Laden
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:48 pm

Some stuff I've seen recently.

Got an advanced copy of the unrated cut of World War Z, really skeptical going in because I loved the book. But it was a fun movie. The zombies are more like the infected from 28 Days, they really don't eat people, just bite them and move on. They also kind of have a hive mind, they mindlessly throw themselves into certain death just to spread the infection. I was really happy Brad Pitt didn't play a super solider like the trailers made him out to be. Not a lot of gore either, which worked.

The Conjuring. I know, I know, another spooky house ghost movie. I enjoyed it, all the things they got wrong with Insidious seems to have been fixed. The cast was really good, the set pieces were nice and creepy. Some good scares to boot. If you enjoy horror flicks, check it out. Turn the lights off and the sound up.

I'll probably end up seeing Insidious 2 at some point, because fuck it, I saw the first one might as well see how it ends.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Previous

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture