Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

The Search

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: The Search

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:18 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:<-- still doesn't understand why Norv Turner is OC when the stated desire to to run the new age spread and read option.

Hm. Did Shanahan run any spread and read options before RGIII came to town?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:25 pm

No to the read option (yes to the spread) and Shanahan did run a ton of bootlegs and loved getting his QBs on the run. Despite the read option and pistol tweaks, the core of Shanahan's offense is what it always was. Not to mention that he hired his son to design the offense.....

Norv Turner is a gawd damn relic and literally the exact opposite of your "shiny new thing" theory.

Banner = Walrus. This is about control and having lots of it.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Yeah... this is getting better every day.

As to the offense though, I can't complain too much because:

1. They gave HC 4-year deal
2. HC and OC will have roots in (and I hate saying this stupid phrase) the vertical passing game.
3. The only chance to save current QB is with that VPG
4. HC has coached a dynamic QB (to varying degrees of success)
5. So, you try and salvage Trapped Under Flag with VPG and when that fails you hope to find an actual talent at that position.

I think that's the long term "plan"

Foolproof!!
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:51 pm

peeker643 wrote:1. They gave HC 4-year deal

This meaning anything is funny..... you know better.

And I get the Vertical Passing Game crapola, I really do. I just don't understand WHY NORV TURNER IS THE GAWD DAMN NEW OC WHEN BANNER IS RUNNING AROUND TALKING ABOUT MODERNIZING THE OFFENSE!!!!#%!

Either Banner is telling different stories out of both sides of his mouth or he's a fucking imbecile.

Norv actually makes sense for the current personel and I get it. If they do something like sign Vick Norv makes -1,000 sense and all of this shiny new toy shit means the Browns should theoretically do something like sign Vick.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:06 pm

Probably because, as it turns out, LaCanfora doesn't have the same sources as MKC:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/report_that_browns_talks_broke.html

A report that talks broke down between the Browns and head coach candidate Ken Whisenhunt on Thursday because the front office wanted input on staff issues is "totally false," a league source told The Plain Dealer today.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:07 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
peeker643 wrote:1. They gave HC 4-year deal

This meaning anything is funny..... you know better.

And I get the Vertical Passing Game crapola, I really do. I just don't understand WHY NORV TURNER IS THE GAWD DAMN NEW OC WHEN BANNER IS RUNNING AROUND TALKING ABOUT MODERNIZING THE OFFENSE!!!!#%!

Either Banner is telling different stories out of both sides of his mouth or he's a fucking imbecile.

Norv actually makes sense for the current personel and I get it. If they do something like sign Vick Norv makes -1,000 sense and all of this shiny new toy shit means the Browns should theoretically do something like sign Vick.

I know it means nothing. They already fired him once one year into a 4-year deal. But that's the theory anyway, to see if he can fix the broken toy and if he can't he theoretically has enough time to go a different route.

I agree on Vick. But I doubt without Kelly here that Vick is here. DA makes more sense given that not making any sense is apparently the new 'process'.

And even best case may be whimsical given they're looking to re-create the '92 Cowboys with Norv. That isn't forward thinking. It's more nostalgic. If you watched games this weekend you couldn't have gotten a bigger club to the head as to where it's going than that.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:09 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Probably because, as it turns out, LaCanfora doesn't have the same sources as MKC:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/report_that_browns_talks_broke.html

A report that talks broke down between the Browns and head coach candidate Ken Whisenhunt on Thursday because the front office wanted input on staff issues is "totally false," a league source told The Plain Dealer today.

Or Mary Kay is again fronting for the org that keeps her employed. She has zero credibility with me. Well, maybe not zero, but pretty damn close.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:14 pm

FWIW: Rivals reported that the key breakdown in Chip's negotiations was about control issues as well.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:39 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:FWIW: Rivals reported that the key breakdown in Chip's negotiations was about control issues as well.

I see nothing wrong with the Browns wanting to prevent Chip (or anyone for that matter) from having carte blanche control. For better or for worse Haslem the man who paid $1 Billion Dollars for this train wreck, hand picked Banner to right the ship, and not to start pissing contest's with some power hungry prima-dona coach or GM.

We will never know what really happened behind closed doors , but I imagine there was a line in the sand that Banner/Haslem was not willing to cross under any circumstances. Or at least I hope that's the case.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Govbarney wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:FWIW: Rivals reported that the key breakdown in Chip's negotiations was about control issues as well.

I see nothing wrong with the Browns wanting to prevent Chip (or anyone for that matter) from having carte blanche control. For better or for worse Haslem the man who paid $1 Billion Dollars for this train wreck, hand picked Banner to right the ship, and not to start pissing contest's with some power hungry prima-dona coach or GM.

We will never know what really happened behind closed doors , but I imagine there was a line in the sand that Banner/Haslem was not willing to cross under any circumstances. Or at least I hope that's the case.

More importantly, I did not see a single deer (not one except for the one the car ahead of me hit 300 yards from my driveway at 515am Tuesday morning) over the course of muzzle loading season. And Saturday and Sunday I froze my balls off all day.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:53 pm

The point isn't what's right or wrong, it's that Banner is Holgren, just skinner and more Golumy.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:54 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The point isn't what's right or wrong, it's that Banner is Holgren, just skinner and more Golumy.

Well, if he works more than 15 hours per week he's ahead of Holmgren's pace there. Even if he is in the office just scowling and alienating people.

;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:19 pm

I would bet that 90% of the people who post here have at some time worked for the kind of CEO that Banner appears to be. A guy who's always right, who's never wrong, and when he is wrong, he will never admit to it. Those kind of guys are either hugely successful—or they spend their whole career jumping from one CEO job to another. If such is the case with Banner, I hope he's here for the next two decades. But we'll know one way or another within two or three years.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Ol' No.23

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:34 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Govbarney wrote:

More importantly, I did not see a single deer (not one except for the one the car ahead of me hit 300 yards from my driveway at 515am Tuesday morning) over the course of muzzle loading season. And Saturday and Sunday I froze my balls off all day.

Saw a heard of doe on Saturday in Orwell, at least 20 Deer, unfortunately they were 200yrds away on the other side of very deep gulch with a large creek at the bottom. I tried to call them in , but they were as unwilling to cross the gulch and creek as I was. Then on Monday I gut shot a doe, and spent the rest of that day and all of Tuesday tracking it to no avail, I hate doing that shit. All and all I cant wait till Turkey season.

You hear the rumor ODNR is going to allow rifle and breach loaders next year?
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:36 pm

jerryroche wrote:I would bet that 90% of the people who post here have at some time worked for the kind of CEO that Banner appears to be. A guy who's always right, who's never wrong, and when he is wrong, he will never admit to it. Those kind of guys are either hugely successful—or they spend their whole career jumping from one CEO job to another. If such is the case with Banner, I hope he's here for the next two decades. But we'll know one way or another within two or three years.

Well, I will say he was in Philly for a long time. Almost 20 years. But seems like he's getting involved in things here that weren't part of his duties there. Still early I guess. But initial indications don't appear favorable. ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:41 pm

OT

Govbarney wrote:You hear the rumor ODNR is going to allow rifle and breach loaders next year?

Have not heard that. Rifles? Restrictions on that?

Hell, some of these muzzle loaders are damn near breech loaded anyway with the way they break down and the primers being dropped in. Not mine. I have a plain old Knight in-line that requires me using a cap tool to put the thing on.

Sorry about the gut shot. Sucks for you and for the doe. I did it with a 10-point last season. That felt even worse.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:47 pm

peeker643 wrote:Still early I guess. But initial indications don't appear favorable.

^^^ Understatement of the year.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Ol' No.23

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:25 pm

peeker643 wrote:OT

Govbarney wrote:You hear the rumor ODNR is going to allow rifle and breach loaders next year?

Have not heard that. Rifles? Restrictions on that?

Hell, some of these muzzle loaders are damn near breech loaded anyway with the way they break down and the primers being dropped in. Not mine. I have a plain old Knight in-line that requires me using a cap tool to put the thing on.

Sorry about the gut shot. Sucks for you and for the doe. I did it with a 10-point last season. That felt even worse.

Id rent a damn helicopter to track a 10-pointer, I cant imagine how sick it would make me not to find it.

This is the Rifle Hunting Proposal to be brought before ODNR for approval in March:

-Any cartridge currently legal to hunt with in a handgun, would be legal in a rifle.
-Black powder cartridge breach loading rifles would be legal during regular gun season and primitive weapons season.
-Compliance for 3 shot rule using dummy rounds, or similar "simple" fix (3rnd Magazines).
-Sunset provision giving DNR an "out" in 4-6 years if unforeseen problems result.
-Make these changes effective state wide if possible.

This is very similar to what both Indiana and the Southern Michigan counties implemented in the last few years, both with a ton of success in bringing new hunters to the woods, (and the unintended consequence of boosting gun sales). I heard from reading the boards its got a good shot at passing. I am saving some $ in anticipation.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL