Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

The Bullpen

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

The Bullpen

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:29 am

This an accurate assessment of the most likely scenario to start the season?

Chris Perez - closer
Vinnie Pestano - set up man
Joe Smith - 7/8
Cody Allen - 7/8
Matt Albers - 6/7
Nick Hagadone - Need a lefty

Last spot to Barnes, Shaw, Huff, Chen Lee?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: The Bullpen

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:36 am

Depends on how Francona decides to use that last spot. If he wants it to go to a swingman who can log mop-up innings, it's Huff. Otherwise, I think Barnes has the inside shot. Lee is still recovering from TJ, I can't see them starting the season with him on the 25-man unless he really lights it up in spring training, and even then it's a longshot. I love his potential though, and definitely think he's in Cleveland at some point in 2013.

One area (besides young middle infielders) that this club really has depth at in the minors is power relief arms. Trey Haley, CC Lee, Shawn Armstrong, Bryce Stowell, Bryan Price, Tyler Sturdevant, Rob Bryson, Grant Sides...and I'm sure I'm forgetting at least one or two. Most of those guys are close to the majors as well. Of course, I'd trade the lot of 'em for a legit 1B or middle of the order OF prospect, but it is what it is.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:59 pm

I like the bullpen from the right side. It looks strong. The left side leaves a lot to be desired.

I wonder where they stand on Bryan Shaw. His splits are pretty severe, as lefties killed him last year, so I'd like to see him in a Joe Smith type role, but in the 6th/7th. He was much better away from home, which is a good sign since Chase Field is a hitter's park. He's only gone over 25 pitches in 8 of his 105 career appearances, so long reliever seems unlikely.

Have to figure Barnes has the inside track because they'd like a second lefty. I was looking through the FA options and they are few and far between. Maybe a minor league deal to Pedro Feliciano (missed all of 2011 after appearing in 266 games from '08-10). Zach Braddock could also get a minor league deal with a camp invite. Beyond that, the Major League caliber rLHP are gone.

None of our rRHP had numbers I'm overly comfortable with against LHB. Even Pestano allowed a .423 SLG to LHB. So, we either need to take our chances with an in-house lefty or sign some guys to minor league deals with camp invites and see who shines.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:04 pm

I actually wouldn't be shocked to have Kazmir grab that lefty role in the bullpen out of spring training. His stuff has been getting pretty good reviews in winterball, and I think he's much more suited to the bullpen at this stage of his career. Not sure how they're planning on using him, but that's what I'd do. Not saying it is likely or anything close to a sure thing, but it's certinally possible.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:14 pm

gotribe31 wrote:I actually wouldn't be shocked to have Kazmir grab that lefty role in the bullpen out of spring training. His stuff has been getting pretty good reviews in winterball, and I think he's much more suited to the bullpen at this stage of his career. Not sure how they're planning on using him, but that's what I'd do. Not saying it is likely or anything close to a sure thing, but it's certinally possible.

I forgot about him. Ideally, I'd like him to be the 5th starter (or at least in the running/6th starter and first call from Columbus) and a little change of pace from the steady diet of righties in our rotation. But, I'm not holding my breath on that.

My chief worry would be his questionable control. That's about the last place you want walks is in a LOOGY role. Lefties only have a .300 OBP, .645 OPS career against him, so it may be worth a shot. My other worry, though diminished a little by being the second lefty, would be if he could hold up pitching 3-4 times a week if necessary.

Walks and long balls are what really hurt Tony Sipp. Luckily, he missed bats. I fear Kazmir would fall into the same trap, with a lower K/9.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB