Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Essential Games DVD

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Essential Games DVD

Unread postby ChoccoIndians » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:30 am

I have noticed on my searches of the internet that there are DVD box sets out for individual teams called essential games, they have about 4 of the most important games in full.

Does anyone know if there is a Cleveland one out, coming out? And if not do you think they will and what games would you inlcude in your set?
Detroit, we are coming for the central division in 2014!!!
ChoccoIndians

Favorite Player: T Jack Bauer
Least Favorite Player: A-Rod

Re: Essential Games DVD

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:59 am

Are these of all time, or of more recent history?

A couple that I'd put on are the Pena HR game, and the Lofton coming home from 2nd in Seattle, both in '95.

Otherwise, I dunno. Maybe the 12-run comeback against Seattle?
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:01 am

The Joba/Fausto Midge War in '07 was one of my personal favorites.

That Lofton game ... '95 I was the first of my buddies to have his own apartment. Had like 30 dudes jammed into my shitty little 1 bedroom glorified efficiency suite apartment in Euclid for that game. Great memories.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:16 am

Completely off the top of my head (so I reserve the right to change this):
Tony Pena game against Boston in the '95 playoffs
Canadian Soldiers in '07 (best live baseball game I've ever attended)
Comeback game against Seattle bullpen in the '01 regular season
Marquis Grissom missed SAC bunt game in the '97 ALCS against Baltimore

Temtping to put the 22-0 or whatever whitewashing of the Yankees up there, just because. There are a couple other classic playoff games in there, like game 6 against Marlins in '97 with Vizquel's game saving webgem, and that Nagy/Mussina game against the Yankees, but all of them end up with the same result in the end. Which makes it all the more sad that I have goosebumps here sitting and thinking about them.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:19 am

Were some great games in those series against the Orioles in 96 and 97.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:23 am

I'd comb the archives for a gem or two from the Hargrove/Harrah/Thorton era. I remember lots of fun games from the 80-84 seasons. Too long ago now for me to remember specific ones.

Plus, you gotta have Len Barker's Perfect Game in there.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:40 am

swerb wrote:Were some great games in those series against the Orioles in 96 and 97.

The Tony Fernandez game in '97 too. Meant to have that as a "just missed"

BD, agree on Barkers perfecto. Other than that, I can't think of a game before the Jacobs Field era that would be on film somewhere to include. Of course, most of those games were before my time.

Maybe Wismar or someone has home video showing Bill Wambsganss turning his triple play in the 1920 World Series, but I doubt it.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:18 am

Here's some more I would like to see footage of-

Frank Robinson's first game as mgr; packed Opening Day crowd, & dramatic HR. Short clips are on youtube with Joe Tait on the call.

Rookie knuckleballer Gene Bearden wins historic playoff w/ Boston Braves

Stadium opens; Mel Harder pitching

1994 Albert belle bat is confiscated

1941 Joe DiMaggio extends hitting streak at League Park, then has it stopped at the Stadium the next day

1949 Bill Veeck makes a big show of bringing the fan down from his perch in a tent up on a pole - the fan had stayed up there for weeks in the hopes it would spur the Indians to a repeat pennant

ALso, the pennant-burying ceremony Veeck had.

The League Park game on the day the catchers caught balls thrown from the Terminal Tower, with footage of both.

1979 Earl Weaver argues with the ump over a rule. He's booed. He goes and gets the rulebook, brings it out and tears it up and tosses the confetti. Keeps arguing and when the grounds crew comes to pick up the pieces, he beats them to it, picks up the pieces, tears them into tinier pieces and throws them in the air. The crowd cheers! I was there for that one.

1938 Johnny Allen was a good veteran starting pitcher, with Harder and a young Feller. Allen was mean. Had a torn sleeve and the opposing team complained it was distracting. Big controversy. The shirt ended up in the hands of a Public Square dept store, which displayed it on a mannequin in the window.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby ChoccoIndians » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:46 pm

Really don't understand why the only DVD I can see available about the Cleveland Indians is the 1948 World Series movie (Which I have purchased and enjoyed:))

Think the marketing department really do need to put pressure on MLB productions to get a few more Indians DVD's out there ASAP.
Detroit, we are coming for the central division in 2014!!!
ChoccoIndians

Favorite Player: T Jack Bauer
Least Favorite Player: A-Rod

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB