Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Fear The Chip

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Fear The Chip

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Everyone does realize that Oregon's NCAA punishment is going to, ar worst, match OSU's, right?

And the Phil Knight takes dumps that are more valuable than the Truck Stop Empire will be in 2020?
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:11 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Everyone does realize that Oregon's NCAA punishment is going to, ar worst, match OSU's, right?

And the Phil Knight takes dumps that are more valuable than the Truck Stop Empire will be in 2020?

You'd have to be a moron to leave a major college program where you are GOD and can compete for a National Championship every year, especially for a bad NFL team that will likely get you fired in 3 years.

Hard to blame Chip for accepting the free dinners from his starry-eyed admirers.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Triple-S wrote:Welp, back to Oregon.

Welp isn't used enough in today's vocabulary.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby bac5665 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:15 pm

This is a disaster from top to bottom.

This is not about Chip. While I do think he is the best available candidate, the little we know about individual coaches makes it damn hard to evaluate them. No, this is about Haslem and Banner starting off by proving to be exactly the same as every other Cleveland sports regime; unable to get the job done.

I'm just sick of Cleveland teams never being able to get their guy. Not once in my (admittedly short) memory has one of our teams gotten their guy when trying to do so. For Banner and Haslem to start off this way just shows that they are no different from the previous regimes. And that bodes really poorly.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby smalls1129 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:54 pm

bac5665 wrote:This is a disaster from top to bottom.

This is not about Chip. While I do think he is the best available candidate, the little we know about individual coaches makes it damn hard to evaluate them. No, this is about Haslem and Banner starting off by proving to be exactly the same as every other Cleveland sports regime; unable to get the job done.

I'm just sick of Cleveland teams never being able to get their guy. Not once in my (admittedly short) memory has one of our teams gotten their guy when trying to do so. For Banner and Haslem to start off this way just shows that they are no different from the previous regimes. And that bodes really poorly.

That is ironic consider the team in your avatar just did it a couple of months ago.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chances two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see his me."
smalls1129

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Squire James

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:01 am

Beat me to the punch. (Re: swish) could also add Urbs to the list.

Also, aggressively pursuing the candidate desire most, throwing everything you have at him, while concurrently continuing to dear h and interview options B through Z is not remotely close to what this organization is known for. This hunt has been far, FAR more cogent than any of the new era browns coaching searches. (Even if waiting on Kelly cost them Marrone)

We can be bummed about them swinging and missing at Kelly without losing the forest of the org getting better and acting like goddamn grow ups. Spin or not.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:01 am

You mean Francona? Fair enough I guess. I don't know if that was nearly as important a hire though. I was trying to refer to important hires.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Triple-S wrote:May I recommend spending time and money on watching Indycar and Formula 1 next year gentleman?

This next year is going to be a trainwreck.

Co-sign. Provided you're able to ignore/accept the goat rodeo that is the Hulman-George family "management." Not to mention, whiny, self-interested car owners.

The on-track product, in both series, is really good right now. If IndyCar management had any clue, it could go places.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:58 pm

CleSportsTruth wrote:
Triple-S wrote:May I recommend spending time and money on watching Indycar and Formula 1 next year gentleman?

Co-sign. Provided you're able to ignore/accept the goat rodeo that is the Hulman-George family "management." Not to mention, whiny, self-interested car owners.

The on-track product, in both series, is really good right now. If IndyCar management had any clue, it could go places.

I've really yet to have a bad time at an Indy event, save for back when CART was running down at Mid-Ohio back in the day, and some jerk's wife starting chewing out at my family and accusing us of slamming a car door on their 1987 MR2, when nothing was in fact done.

But to be fair, that was just some jerk, not anyone from the series at the time.

But yeah, there's a ton of freebies they give out (they had better for the price of the ticket), the drivers are refreshingly fan friendly, and it's a good time.

At the very least when I watch a race, no matter how ugly it is, I rarely feel disappointed or like I've wasted my time, like I have been watching a Browns game for the past 10 years.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:10 am

I miss Rick Mears.

FUDU

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 am

CleSportsTruth wrote:

Indy Just fired Bernard, so it will be interesting to see where the circuit goes from here. I agree though I have never had a bad time at a Indy race especially the 500. Just wish they would bring Cleveland back in to the fold, Id love to see a street race through downtown like in Bmore.

I am pumped for the two new F1 races in the US, a guy I work with went to the Austin race and said it was blast, I hear the Track is one of the best tracks for the spectators prospective in the world, and when the New Jersey track is finished it will be even better.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:01 pm

The only conversation that could make a forum about the The Cleveland Browns even less readable is a conversation about fucking Indy Car.

Christ.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:05 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:The only conversation that could make a forum about the The Cleveland Browns even less readable is a conversation about fucking Indy Car.

Christ.

+ sideways 8
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:57 pm

Govbarney wrote:Indy Just fired Bernard, so it will be interesting to see where the circuit goes from here. I agree though I have never had a bad time at a Indy race especially the 500. Just wish they would bring Cleveland back in to the fold, Id love to see a street race through downtown like in Bmore.

I am pumped for the two new F1 races in the US, a guy I work with went to the Austin race and said it was blast, I hear the Track is one of the best tracks for the spectators prospective in the world, and when the New Jersey track is finished it will be even better.

TMLP's company is pretty much the presenting sponsor at Belle Isle, and was paling around with the Penske. Very shocked he hasn't considered it at least, Burke is pretty much beloved by Indy Fans because it consistently put on a good show.

New Jersey is not looking likely, looking like they're going to race in France I believe. I wouldn't mind making the trek up to Montreal to go see a F1 race, I'm only reluctant to do so because of budget.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:00 pm

Pup, Is there an applicable forum to move the racing stuff? I don't mind people talking it at all but probably best if it goes to a designated area. I wouldn't know as I've never been there.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:32 pm

No, the racing stuff is fun.

It's like, in the middle of a football thread, you get:

If you're sick of football, watch IndyCar.

Zingchow duck zein crinkle fackle dee dee.

But I do like pork knuckle roogoo, and I think the MLPBQ should really discuss updating the igloo tuna popsicle.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Hikohadon wrote:No, the racing stuff is fun.

But I do like pork knuckle roogoo, and I think the MLPBQ should really discuss updating the igloo tuna popsicle.

Yeah, but if open wheel google ads start replacing the old cougars with boob jobs ads, well, then it ain't gonna be so freaking amusing.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:50 pm

FTR: Racing Fans have the same small penis syndrome as guys who go to firing ranges with fully automatic guns for fun.

Just gettin' that out there.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:51 pm

The boobs ads aren't going anywhwere.

FUDU

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:54 pm

The point I'm trying to make, is that the Browns really have consistently put out a terrible product year after year. I'm almost to the point of going "why bother" across the board with this team, I imagine I'm not alone on that.

For the record, I'm not sick of football, just sick of "Browns" football.

It feels to me that it's rather inevitable that this hiring is going to suck, and that we're going to be starting threads like these, again, 2 years from now when Trestman/Arians or someone else is shown the door.

It still amazes me that people renew season tickets, and buy seats for games after all of what has gone down.

Triple-S

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:03 pm

Question:

What could make watching the Browns appealing?

Answer:

Being given the choice between watching the Browns or watching Race CARZ!!!!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:45 pm

Well, this thread is already (largely by me!), so what the hell.

Triple-S wrote:
CleSportsTruth wrote:

I've really yet to have a bad time at an Indy event, save for back when CART was running down at Mid-Ohio back in the day, and some jerk's wife starting chewing out at my family and accusing us of slamming a car door on their 1987 MR2, when nothing was in fact done.

But to be fair, that was just some jerk, not anyone from the series at the time.

But yeah, there's a ton of freebies they give out (they had better for the price of the ticket), the drivers are refreshingly fan friendly, and it's a good time.

At the very least when I watch a race, no matter how ugly it is, I rarely feel disappointed or like I've wasted my time, like I have been watching a Browns game for the past 10 years.

Oh, I agree. Race weekends are phenomenal (Belle Isle, notwithstanding). I was referencing the firing of Randy Bernard, mainly the f'ed up way it was done.

I still think Burke can come back. Mike Lanigan (a wholly unlikabke figure) owns the rights to it. If Houston, his other race, works out, we might get another shot.

The NJ F1 race won't happen this yr., and I'll be surprised if it ever does. Austin, meanwhile, might be the best new circuit I've ever seen.

And yes, a new sub-forum would be fine by me.

To turn back, vaguely, to the Browns, I like to think that the suck that is our sports in this town drew me (and keeps me) to racing and, now, int'l soccer. I mean, I need SOME quality sports to follow.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby General » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm with Peeks. If I find myself watching it is only for the wrecks and mayhem.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization-Do I really have to change this?
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:08 pm

I prefer to have my "pleasant sporting distraction from football" feature 6 foot blond Russian women in small skirts.
Hikohadon

Unread postby General » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Hikohadon wrote:I prefer to have my "pleasant sporting distraction from football" feature 6 foot blond Russian women in small skirts.

Panties?
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization-Do I really have to change this?
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:48 pm

General wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:I prefer to have my "pleasant sporting distraction from football" feature 6 foot blond Russian women in small skirts.

Panties?

Is that a new sport? If so, I want to subscribe to their network.

Can't believe there's not already a Panties Network available on DirecTV.
Hikohadon

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:48 pm

Tell me a show featuring drop dead gorgeous women in tiny skirts with the title, "Panties, Or No Panties?" wouldn't consistently be the highest-rated show on television.

Run one promo during football games and you're done advertising.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:12 pm

I don't even......

People would watch Indy Car if...

1) There were hazards on the track like, spinning blades, pitfalls with spikes and stuff, and drivers could drop oil slicks at 200 mph.

2) All the drivers had to be legally over the alcohol limit to race.

3) Boobs.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:13 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I don't even......

1) There were hazards on the track like, spinning blades, pitfalls with spikes and stuff, and drivers could drop oil slicks at 200 mph.

3) Boobs.

CDT's ultimate sport then would be getting a bunch of hot girls drunk and topless, have them climb in Indy Cars, and drive around the crowded streets of downtown Pittsburgh as fast as they can.

Gotta admit, I might check that out myself.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:02 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Yeah, but if open wheel google ads start replacing the old cougars with boob jobs ads, well, then it ain't gonna be so freaking amusing.

Yeah speaking of which TCF needs a boss button , people at work are starting to ask questions about the lonaly russians moms and Thai Singals
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby scott » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:38 pm

Pulling the same shit as Chip? Per ESPN....

"The Philadelphia Eagles have interviewed Notre Dame's Brian Kelly for their coaching vacancy, league sources told ESPN.

Kelly met with the Eagles on Tuesday, and there was mutual interest after the interview, according to league sources. Kelly left the country after meeting with the Eagles and could not be reached for comment."
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:05 am

I think every college coach that pulls that stunt should be owed one swift kick in the balls.

You still get your raise and everything, just think twice before you lead those poor NFL teams on.

The more you knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww /starswipe
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:01 am

Gradysmanldy wrote:I think every college coach that pulls that stunt should be owed one swift kick in the balls.

You still get your raise and everything, just think twice before you lead those poor NFL teams on.

The more you knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww /starswipe

Hey man, ya can't fault a guy for snarfing some good eats. And probably really good vino as well. I don't care what your job is, if somebody offers you a free gorge at French Laundry, you don't say no.

I think that soon all these hot coaches in college will ride the post-bowl gravy train. It will be as normal as the "perk$" they hand out to their own players. Another innovation we can attribute to Chip Kelly.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:55 pm

3) Boobs.

Well, on #3, racing WAGs are nothing to sneeze at. At least at the highest echelons. :dingle:
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:55 pm

CleSportsTruth wrote:

3) Boobs.

Well, on #3, racing WAGs are nothing to sneeze at. At least at the highest echelons. :dingle:

You could say that about the highest levels of bass fishing too, and I ain't watching that shit.

Even the most notable hunting wags are ridiculous. And they hunt!!

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:17 pm

Chip to the Eagles. What a slap in the face. Haslem has got to be furious.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:24 pm

Govbarney wrote:Chip to the Eagles. What a slap in the face. Haslem has got to be furious.

Think how pissed off Oregon is right now. It's too bad we don't play the Eagles every year, you KNOW Haslem/Banner would be putting a little extra fire under the stove for those games.

Do we get the Eagles this year? I forget where our list of 2013 opponents are posted.
justmebd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:26 pm

justmebd wrote:
Govbarney wrote:Chip to the Eagles. What a slap in the face. Haslem has got to be furious.

Think how pissed off Oregon is right now. It's too bad we don't play the Eagles every year, you KNOW Haslem/Banner would be putting a little extra fire under the stove for those games.

Do we get the Eagles this year? I forget where our list of 2013 opponents are posted.

Played them last year, so we don't get them again until 2016. Except maybe in the preseason.
Hikohadon

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:29 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Played them last year, so we don't get them again until 2016. Except maybe in the preseason.

Or the Super Bowl.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby scott » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:29 pm

justmebd wrote:

Eagles current roster is leaps and bounds ahead of ours for running Kelly's offense. It makes so much more sense for him. Still, I'm salty he didn't want Jimmy's pile of cash.

Also, Trestman to Bears. Kind of feel like we missed an opportunity there.
Last edited by scott on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:29 pm

I'm flabbergasted. Not that he went to the Eagles over the Browns, but that he went to the NFL at all after all the reports.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:31 pm

A week and a half after the song and dance ended with him going back to Oregon. I wonder what changed.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:34 pm

justmebd wrote:

Probably not as pissed as you'd belive...

But sources had told ESPN after the meeting that Kelly had decided to stay at Oregon. The school never made an official announcement regarding Kelly's employment with the team, however.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:A week and a half after the song and dance ended with him going back to Oregon. I wonder what changed.

Guarantee you something with the NCAA investigation changed that prompted him to exit stage left.
justmebd

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:37 pm

scott wrote:
justmebd wrote:

Eagles current roster is leaps and bounds ahead of ours for running Kelly's offense. It makes so much more sense for him. Still, I'm salty he didn't want Jimmy's pile of cash.

Also, Trestman to Bears. Kind of feel like we missed an opportunity there.

I got this weird voice in the back of my head that says Trestman may be the best coach hired this off-season. I just think he is going to bring something new to the table no one is prepared for. That being said we did interview both men and picked Chud, so I guess I just have to trust HasBan here.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:42 pm

Yeah, we "picked" Chud over Kelly.

Kelly clearly didn't show any preference to staying at Oregon or for Philly.

Who was it that said they "picked" their current wife over Meghan Fox?
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:48 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Probably not as pissed as you'd belive...

But sources had told ESPN after the meeting that Kelly had decided to stay at Oregon. The school never made an official announcement regarding Kelly's employment with the team, however.

Rich Eisen ‏@richeisen
Wow. RT @SI_PeterKing: RT @NicoFalah: Chip Kelly left?!?! He was at my house 2 days ago ... Nico Falah's an Oregon recruit.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:57 pm

:lmfao:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:59 pm

Has to be some reason for such an unusual turnaround so late in the game.

1. More Control because Philly got desperate
2. More money, because Philly got desperate
3. Change in status of his Oregon gig. (Less of a raise, impending sanctions, etc)

Wonder if we'll ever really know, if it isn't 3.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:19 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Played them last year, so we don't get them again until 2016. Except maybe in the preseason.

Or the Super Bowl.

Since we're talking about the Browns and an Eagles team that hired Chip Kelly, I don't think you'll have to worry about either of them anywhere near the Super Bowl anytime soon.
Hikohadon

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL