Text Size

College Sports Arena

New Playoff System replacing BCS

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

New Playoff System replacing BCS

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:46 pm

Next years 4-team playoff is better than BCS. My opinion 8 teams is the way to do it.
It is my hope that we don't end up with 3 or 4 SEC teams in the playoffs with more crybaby :gah: SEC teams on the outside looking in.

In my system I would not permit a conference to have more than 3 schools in, and no attention is paid to confernence champions (which would not happen in real life because of the money involved- short answer.) Also I play the 1st and 2nd rounds on campus, all on saturdays, Dec 15 and Dec 22. Nat'l Semis are Dec 29th. By having the games each consective weekend, the teams stay sharp, and a couple extra days rest before the
Championship on Wed Jan 9.

This year my matchups are as follows:
8 KState vs 1 ND
5 Florida vs 4 Oregon

7 Stanford vs 2 Alabama
6 Georiga vs 3 Ohio St

LSU, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Northern IL, ACC, and BigLeast get the cold shoulder. Poach Florida St and Va Tech out and all the other teams can go play in the Bowl Subdivision.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Re: New Playoff System replayg BCS

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:35 pm

I bet we see 8 teams a lot sooner than originally thought. This year's mock selection committee was already lamenting about how hard it was this year to pick those 4 teams (nominally).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: New Playoff System replacing BCS

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:45 pm

I think that 8 teams makes too much sense not to happen. I think it will as well. It will happen as soon as they figure out how much money they will make by implementing it.

I also agree that at least the first round should be home games for seeds 1-4.

The biggest obstacle will be the old "what happens to the bowl games?" lament. To which I say, nothing, there will still be plenty of teams to fill bowls. And who gives a shit anyway.

All the same people will still watch them. We will watch them because we like college football, and that's what we do.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:55 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I think that 8 teams makes too much sense not to happen. I think it will as well. It will happen as soon as they figure out how much money they will make by implementing it.

I also agree that at least the first round should be home games for seeds 1-4.

The biggest obstacle will be the old "what happens to the bowl games?" lament. To which I say, nothing, there will still be plenty of teams to fill bowls. And who gives a shit anyway.

All the same people will still watch them. We will watch them because we like college football, and that's what we do.

We will watch them because it is about the only time you get to see decent non conference games and that, above all things is what really drives it.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:45 am

furls wrote:I bet we see 8 teams a lot sooner than originally thought. This year's mock selection committee was already lamenting about how hard it was this year to pick those 4 teams (nominally).

I think that's the case as well. 8 teams with a selection committee, automatic bids to the SEC, B1G, Pac-12, Big XII, and ACC champions.

So, you'll have 5 automatic bids and 3 at-larges, no limit on conference representation. Will satisfy most people- and the CCGs are treated as de facto first round games, essentially extending it to a 12-game playoff under current status (up to 13 if the Big XII expands to 12 again).

Who would have a gripe this year? The lineup would be:

1. Notre Dame
2. Alabama
3. Florida
4. Kansas State
5. Oregon
6. Stanford
7. Florida State
8. Wisconsin

Since ND is in as an at-large, can't really complain about your other 2 being Florida and Oregon. ND/Wisconsin would be a stinker first round game, but Alabama/FSU, Florida/Stanford, and KSU/Oregon are good games.

Sure, Oklahoma would bitch about being left out (and they are already), and you leave out Georgia from the official NCAA playoff, but they had their shot in the title game.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:08 pm

In a non sanction year, you get tOSU instead of Wisco and they would probably be 3. So that gives you:

ND vs. FSU
Bama vs. Stanford
OSU vs. Oregon (ouch)
KSU vs. FL

I think they have to mandate, higher seed gets the home game too... the CCG's in empty stadiums are just a freakin joke.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:12 pm

fairvis wrote: by fairvis » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:45 am furls wrote:

I think that's the case as well. 8 teams with a selection committee, automatic bids to the SEC, B1G, Pac-12, Big XII, and ACC champions.
Georgia from the official NCAA playoff, but they had their shot in the title game.

If you like certain conference champions to get automatic bids, I say a 3 losses conference champion should not get an automatic bid.

If you are saying losers of conference championship games don't get invited as well...I like that wrinkle.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:19 pm

If the WAC and BYU decide to merge with the MT West to form a 16 team superconference, I say give them an automatic bid too. If B1G, SEC, Pac-12, and whoever else align themselves with the 16-team superconfernce movement...Then a 16 team playoff makes alot of sense, since were burning tradional bowl/conference alignments, and weak conferences are folding (a la the old Big8 infavor of Big 12).
kman_holla8

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:52 pm

Do you have a few minutes? Details are out about the New Playoff System...However it is alot to soak in at first glance. Anyway new playoff system explained here:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bow ... urces-said
kman_holla8

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 am

Here is the new pairings, using the BCS standings:

#1 ND vs #4Florida @ Sugar Bowl January 1, 8pm
IMO based upon ND defense and the laxadasical attitude showed by Gators vs L'ville and based upon the schedule they played, I think ND wins.

#2 tOSU vs #3 Bama @ Rose Bowl January 1, 430pm
I think our Offense can score 4 tds on Bama, but I'm not sure they can keep Bama from going up and down the field at will. I think Bama wins 41-31.

#3 Bama @ #1 ND @ Cotton Bowl January 12...Obvisiously its Roll Tide.

The other Access Games...note that ORANGE is the only one with actual affliation
ORANGE (Top Ranked ACC) Clemson vs Georiga(Top Ranked amongst ND, Big12,& B1G)

FIESTA and CHICK-FIL-A (Big12 Champ) Kansas State vs Northern Illinois (<DAMN it KENT ST!> Highest ranked amongst MAC WAC SunBelt BigEast and one other loser conference) Oregon vs Stanford (Top 2 Remaining teams regardless of confernce)

Other sources: Dennis Dodd: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... rough-2026

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... ls-in-2015
kman_holla8

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:34 am

kman_holla8 wrote:Do you have a few minutes? Details are out about the New Playoff System...However it is alot to soak in at first glance. Anyway new playoff system explained here:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bow ... urces-said

12 yr contract, ouch. They are going to do everything they can to combat more common sense from taking place as long as they have their jobs and the bowls are lining their corrupt ass pockets.

Don't you just love how on the rare occurrence a B1G team ( most likely just tOSU) makes this play off , it's gracious enough to always give the PAC 12 home field advantage. And then if we happen to win that game on the road , we will also give the SEC automatic home field advantage. Ain't that just spit on your face and kick your grandma fantastic. :clap:
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Return to College Sports Arena