Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Fear The Chip

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Fear The Chip

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:12 pm

Reasons to avoid the Chip Kelly mirage:

1. No NFL experience. There have been college coaches that have come in and had some success recently and there are college coaches I wouldn't have any problem with the Browns hiring, and all of them have at least a little NFL experience.

2. Runs the Read Option/Spread/Whatever You Call That Crap. I keep hearing how NFL teams use adapted versions of his system - no, what they use is his up-tempo playcalling system, not the plays themselves. What he runs is nothing special - half the damn schools in the NCAA run the spread, he just runs it faster/more streamlined. The option has been around since the dawn of time, and there's a reason that it got phased out of the NFL after they realized the benefits of the forward pass. That shit ain't working in the NFL. So unless he can completely adapt his offensive philosophy, it would be a disaster.

3. Lack of success even at the college level. Beats up on the crap teams, but always gets shut down/loses to the big teams in big games. Also another piece of evidence about how well his system works against NFL-type talent.

4. Complete offensive overhaul. Not only would we need to seek out a mobile QB that can also throw with an NFL level of efficiency (and who isn't looking for that?), they'd have to change up the O Line to a more athletic run blocking type line rather than the pass blocking line we have now. Oh, and Richardson probably wouldn't be very good in that system either. Little light guys that are fast and will get murdered in the NFL, that's what we'll be looking for.

5. Chris Fedor really likes him. Which means he must suck.

Nick Saban, David Shaw, Bill O'Brien, hell, even that dude from Syracuse... I'll take 'em all before I take Chip Kelly.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Fear The Chip

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:17 pm

At least he's not pat shurmer.

that's all I got.

EDIT: To add, I'd be curious how he'd do with Philly or San Diego, rosters that would be able to cushion whatever move he'd be making.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:23 pm

Chip loses big games because of recruiting, not because of scheme, as far as I can tell. His linemen are terrible so he loses in the trenches. I do not want Chip anywhere near personnel, but I do think he can coach pretty well.

Look, what I want from any coach is a willingness to work with the talent we have and find a scheme to make them win. Mold to the offense you want over time, but be willing to work with the talent you have. I have no idea if Chip can do that or not.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Triple-S wrote:At least he's not pat shurmer.

that's all I got.

EDIT: To add, I'd be curious how he'd do with Philly or San Diego, rosters that would be able to cushion whatever move he'd be making.

It would be fun to watch Phil Rivers run a Chip Kelly offense.
Hikohadon

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm

I think I'll wait for leadpipe to tell me what it is I have to understand about Chip Kelly in today's NFL, in 2013, with the rule changes and whatnot.

But thanks for the effort anyway.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Devil's advocate (as I would prefer not hiring Kelly but I'm certainly not about to start agreeing with you about anything ;-) ;) :wink: ).

1. I can't get by this and it's huge for me. So I concede and admit it's a huge issue.

2. Let's assume the talent level on the roster actually was NFL-caliber at some point. At all the positions on offense. If you go with that and forget for a second that it's nowhere close to that here and now, well, speed and execution are where the NFL is at. It's no accident that Belichik studied with Kelly and that New England runs the most offensive plays in the league by a lot this season. It's the new wave and it'll be copied by others. And Kelly is regarded as an innovator not only because he runs things faster but with his sets/formations/design. Saying he's running a 33 1/3 record at 78rpms is not giving the guy credit for what he does.

3. He's 45-7 or whatever at Oregon with talent that's not USC/Texas/Alabama/OSU caliber. He's played in a title game and multiple BCS games. To say he's not successful seems a bit...well...wrong. He's taken less than 5* guys and developed a system where they're in the hunt every year (seemingly). We're assuming he was the perfect fit for that system when the case may be that he devised the perfect system to fit what he had to work with.

4. Remaking this roster is a negative? Again, I don't see New England going to 240lb fast OGs and Ts to run this thing. They're running it with basically the same guys that were there last year.

5. I don't know who that is.

From all I've read Kelly is about as smart a guy as there is in football. No kids, single, devoted to the game. Not sure if he can manage NFL egos and players. That's a concern and I don't want this to be the proving ground. Because of that almost alone I'd prefer someone else. But the NFL is going to the spread/pistol/zone read shit more than people will admit. Going up tempo too with it. The funny thing is it won't make a bit of difference without the proper personnel.

I agree with you on not preferring a coach who's never worked in the NFL at any level. But this guy might just replace Belichik as the smartest guy in the room and even BB, as old school as it gets, has bought into his stuff and taken a lot of it for NE.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:52 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
Triple-S wrote:At least he's not pat shurmer.

that's all I got.

It would be fun to watch Phil Rivers run a Chip Kelly offense.

Certainly seems like we'll soon find out, as the NFL rumor guys appear to be assuming he's making the jump right now.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:56 pm

Again, NE studied Oregon's one-word playcalling concept to up the tempo. That's all that NE 's offense owes to Oregon. Not sets, not plays, not formations... just Oregon's method for getting plays called quicker.

That is innovative and Kelly deserves the credit for being able to develop a system to get plays called more quickly.

But to me that doesn't mean he will be successful offensively in the NFL, and it certainly means that any comparisons between Oregon's offense and NE's offense are useless.

It's not like NE ran a vastly different offense back in 2007, or that that offense wasn't just as effective as the one they run now.

PS - No matter who the coach is, the roster will get overhauled. But a coach like Kelly would require a longer and bigger overhaul, and if he doesn't work, would take longer to get back from the Hades he left us in.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:57 pm

I don't know who out there fits the bill, but it seems to me the NFL is going further away every day from brutality and strength and old school football. When you look at rules and concussions and everything else, guys like Kelly (and still guys like BB who adapt so much faster than anyone else) will develop schemes and styles that help move the game from brawn to brain. Yeah, athletes needed, but it's the way the game is headed IMO.

Is there a coach out there that has that ability to scheme and be innovative AND has NFL experience? Cuz that's the guy I'd want. Not sure one without the other is going to work.

Of course, we just came off a bad two year marriage with someone who had neither. So anyone looks hot right now.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jerryroche » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:02 pm

jerryroche

Favorite Player: Wild Thang
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:25 pm

I saw that sometime around Thanksgiving. Basis of what I'm saying. To say Kelly just runs the spread really fast is incorrect.

That's not it and it's not why coaches think this guy is brilliant. Everything from pace of play, to gap control to forcing guys to declare (and if you watched RG3 and Morris wreck D Ware time after time again on Sunday night you know what I'm talking about there)to practice pace and planning to play calling and taking advantage of mismatches his sets and formations are designed to create, all of it.

The guy is crazy good. But he's crazy good in college and often times while facing shitty opponents. I don't know if it would work here. I think the game is definitely going that way and I think Kelly may be on the cutting edge of the innovation, but he still hasn't coached an NFL team, been responsible for an NFL team or helped put together an NFL team.

I like what Pete Carroll has done with Wislon and the Hawks. But how'd he do with the Jets in his first go round? That definitely scares me.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:32 pm

I've kind I talked myself into Kelly by now. I am intrigued. O course he lack of ANY NFL experience ce is a big concern, but it's no like there are other candidates with no concerns of their own.

I don't know if Kelly's philosophy would translate to the NFL or not. But I have read from a lot if people who are close that he's a guy that can and will adapt his Philippines to whatever is necessary.

And the one thi in keep thinking about it is this: chip Kelly's ceiling is probably higher than any other candidate. His floor might be lower to, but in Cleveland...what the hell's the difference?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:33 pm

From that Chris Brown article:

This misunderstands Kelly's attack. "I look for a quarterback who can run and not a running back who can throw. I want a quarterback who can beat you with his arm," Kelly explained at a coaches clinic in the spring of 2011, emphatically adding, "We are not a Tim Tebow type of quarterback team. I am not going to run my quarterback 20 times on power runs."

The numbers back him up. Marcus Mariota is third on Oregon's team in rushing, but he's far, far behind Barner and Thomas. In 2011, the Ducks finished the year fifth in the nation in rushing yards per game and ended with more than 4,000 on the year. Only 206 of those came from quarterback Darron Thomas. Compare that with Tebow, who led Florida in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns in each of the three seasons he was the starting quarterback in Urban Meyer's spread-option offense.

Kelly explained that he merely needs a quarterback who, if the defense "forces" him to run, "can do it effectively." Although this rules out some of the NFL's best quarterbacks — from Peyton Manning to Tom Brady — it doesn't mean that his offense requires Cam Newton or RG3. Every year, the high school and college ranks are producing more and more quarterbacks who aren't utterly devoid of athleticism.

Time will undoubtedly tell whether Kelly's offense can work in the NFL, but my vote is that it will. It would require Kelly finding the right players, but a Chip Kelly–coached NFL team would win for the same reasons that the Chip Kelly–coached college team wins. Behind the speed, the spread, the Daft Punk helmets, and the flashy uniforms, Oregon ultimately wins with old-fashioned, fundamental, run-it-up-the-gut football. I think everyone, even fans of the spread offense, can appreciate that.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:36 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I've kind I talked myself into Kelly by now. I am intrigued. O course he lack of ANY NFL experience ce is a big concern, but it's no like there are other candidates with no concerns of their own.

I don't know if Kelly's philosophy would translate to the NFL or not. But I have read from a lot if people who are close that he's a guy that can and will adapt his Philippines to whatever is necessary.

And the one thi in keep thinking about it is this: chip Kelly's ceiling is probably higher than any other candidate. His floor might be lower to, but in Cleveland...what the hell's the difference?

His Phillipines?

Fucking sausage-fingered hack.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:37 pm

I get the concerns. My gut tells me this guy is gonna be the next great NFL coach though.

That's what an interview process is for. You take candidates and grill them for hours on very specific things that concern you about them. In Haslam and Banner, you have successful people that have been a part of success in business and football. I trust that the process they put The Chipper through will be far from the joke cronyism process Walrus went through when he just gave the job to Shurmur.

The NFL game has chaanged dramatically. And the Browns have always trailed the trends since returning to the league. I think this guy is an offensive genius and that they need to very proactively vet him.

If its me, I don't look at all at the track record of college coaches coming to the NFL. There are specific reasons why guys like Spurrier, Butch, etc failed. Jim Harbaugh has shown that a great coach can be great anywhere, and the decision should 100% come down to the individual and not his resume.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:37 pm

I think I'm going to join my son and become a Seahawks fan...

BTW, you left out "Worst clock manager West of Les Miles"
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:38 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I've kind I talked myself into Kelly by now.

Okay, hiko. Now we agree that Kelly is NOT the guy.

And I must now assume Fedor is motherscratcher-like?

;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:39 pm

peeker643 wrote:I like what Pete Carroll has done with Wislon and the Hawks. But how'd he do with the Jets in his first go round? That definitely scares me.

Not that this really changes the argument either way for Kelly, but Carroll had been an NFL assistant for almost a decade when he took over the Jets. And he took over a team that finished 8-8 and was fired after going 6-10 in his only season.

A better comparison is probably Spurrier, and we all know how that turned out.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:39 pm

motherscratcher wrote:And the one thi in keep thinking about it is this: chip Kelly's ceiling is probably higher than any other candidate. His floor might be lower to, but in Cleveland...what the hell's the difference?

LMAO...Reason 1A for hiring Chip Kelley...^^^^

There are no other reasos
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:42 pm

neoleo wrote:
peeker643 wrote:I like what Pete Carroll has done with Wislon and the Hawks. But how'd he do with the Jets in his first go round? That definitely scares me.

Not that this really changes the argument either way for Kelly, but Carroll had been an NFL assistant for almost a decade when he took over the Jets. And he took over a team that finished 8-8 and was fired after going 6-10 in his only season.

A better comparison is probably Spurrier, and we all know how that turned out.

True. And the Spurrier comp is probably much better. Just saying it seems really bright guys who can coach seem to struggle with their first opportunity for one reason or another. Either that the job is too big, they're handcuffed by ownership/front office or they're just not prepared for what it's going to entail.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:26 pm

neoleo wrote:A better comparison is probably Spurrier, and we all know how that turned out.

Spurrier caught lightning in a bottle for a few years at Florida, and has done diddly/squat since in both pros and college. And he had pro experience holding clipboards going for him too.

My bigger fear is Kelly taking too much control and winding up a nervous wreck like Butch. Given that the other options are David Shaw, Ray Horton, Yet Another Glorified Mumbles Assistant, or one of a bunch of no-names and re-treads, yeah, Chipper's growing on me too.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Anyone named Kelly is alright in my book.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Well, fuck it, I think I've come around.

Pretty sure that the Chipper will be such an epic disaster that it will be at least fun to watch. And if by some unlikely chance he's actually good, well, that would be fine too.

Boom or bust, baby.

It's not like any of the other candidates are that interesting, and they'd probably just suck on a normal level. Chippy? The stadium might actually sink into the lake.

You'll have to move the franchise to Portugal by the time he's done because if his 3 year stint is a failure he will surely leave this team NFL Hiroshima and the city will pay to have it hauled away. That's impressive.

Joe Banner + Chip Kelly + Mike Vick... let's get this party started!
Last edited by Hikohadon on Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hikohadon

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Reasons to avoid the Chip Kelly mirage:

Oh, and Richardson probably wouldn't be very good in that system either. Little light guys that are fast and will get murdered in the NFL, that's what we'll be looking for.

Jonathon Stewart was fantastic in this system and LeGarrette Blunt was very good. Both of these guys are big backs who don't even have as good of hands as T-Rich.

Not to mention that Blunt isn't very athletic compared to T-Rich and Stewart either.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:08 pm

peeker643 wrote:

And I must now assume Fedor is motherscratcher-like?

Indeed. This means I must automatically rant against Kelly - but I'll wait till he's hired. Still think Philly has the inside track.

It would be fascinating to watch, however. A Kelly hire by the Browns has the possibility to be somewhat revolutionary. Or a fail of epic proportions. No gray area.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:11 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Reasons to avoid the Chip Kelly mirage:

Oh, and Richardson probably wouldn't be very good in that system either. Little light guys that are fast and will get murdered in the NFL, that's what we'll be looking for.

Jonathon Stewart was fantastic in this system and LeGarrette Blunt was very good. Both of these guys are big backs who don't even have as good of hands as T-Rich.

Not to mention that Blunt isn't very athletic compared to T-Rich and Stewart either.

Valid. Check that one off my concerns list.
Hikohadon

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:17 pm

HoodooMan wrote:I think I'll wait for leadpipe to tell me what it is I have to understand about Chip Kelly in today's NFL, in 2013, with the rule changes and whatnot.

Yeah, there are times when I'm sick of my own repetitive typing on the topic. It should be noted that it's always in response to someone claiming the QB isn't that important or how important it is to run the ball.

Anyways, I'm kinda with Hiko on this one, but at the same time I certainly don't want some guy like Cowher or Gruden.

And Hiko is correct - the Patriots studied and employed aspects of Oregon's tempo - not necessarily the system.

Not really sure who I want, or who I'll be excited about with this one, just glad Lerner ain't pulling the strings.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:41 pm

leadpipe wrote:
HoodooMan wrote:I think I'll wait for leadpipe to tell me what it is I have to understand about Chip Kelly in today's NFL, in 2013, with the rule changes and whatnot.

Yeah, there are times when I'm sick of my own repetitive typing on the topic. It should be noted that it's always in response to someone claiming the QB isn't that important or how important it is to run the ball.

Anyways, I'm kinda with Hiko on this one, but at the same time I certainly don't want some guy like Cowher or Gruden.

And Hiko is correct - the Patriots studied and employed aspects of Oregon's tempo - not necessarily the system.

Not really sure who I want, or who I'll be excited about with this one, just glad Lerner ain't pulling the strings.

Very measured response. I would have laid down some Phil Savage smack and told HooDoo to fuck off ;-) ;) :wink: ;-) ;) :wink:

But one of my New Year's resolutions is to stop fucking cussing.

It's not going so well.........
mattvan1

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:01 pm

I agree with matt. That was much better than I deserved. WTF?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:10 pm

Heard a caller on the radio on my way home advocate signing Kelly and then trading #6 to San Diego for Philip Rivers.

That was a few minutes after someone called in wondering why we weren't talking about Les Miles.

personally I don't know how you go wrong with either of those options.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:14 pm

peeker643 wrote:

This is valid
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:16 pm

Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:And the one thi in keep thinking about it is this: chip Kelly's ceiling is probably higher than any other candidate. His floor might be lower to, but in Cleveland...what the hell's the difference?

You're right, besides his resounding success in his current gig, his ahead of the curve approach to offense, and arguably having the highest ceiling of any available candidate, there really isn't another reason.

Isn't having a high ceiling a good reason, though?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:22 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Well, fuck it, I think I've come around.

Pretty sure that the Chipper will be such an epic disaster that it will be at least fun to watch. And if by some unlikely chance he's actually good, well, that would be fine too.

Boom or bust, baby.

It's not like any of the other candidates are that interesting, and they'd probably just suck on a normal level. Chippy? The stadium might actually sink into the lake.

You'll have to move the franchise to Portugal by the time he's done because if his 3 year stint is a failure he will surely leave this team NFL Hiroshima and the city will pay to have it hauled away. That's impressive.

I knew you'd come around.

And I'm with you on all of that. Even Vick, because who the hell else would be available to run that clown show?

But I also don't see a big reason NOT to try the guy out. Wy the fuck not? Interesting is better than we've gotten for a decade now, and you can make a list like you've got at the top of this thread for every candidate out there..

FCC it. Hire Kelly, bring in Vick, sign Dennis Dixon, trade for TP...who gives a shit. Someone start making JaegerBombs.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:50 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

Boom or bust, baby.

And I'm with you on all of that. Even Vick, because who the hell else would be available to run that clown show?

But I also don't see a big reason NOT to try the guy out. Wy the fuck not? Interesting is better than we've gotten for a decade now, and you can make a list like you've got at the top of this thread for every candidate out there..

FCC it. Hire Kelly, bring in Vick, sign Dennis Dixon, trade for TP...who gives a shit. Someone start making JaegerBombs.

I like your style (not really, but I'm trying to be less of an insensitive asshole in 2013)

Anyway, screw Vick and his baggage. We have 2 guys on the roster who I would love to see try and run that offense. And neither one is named Brandolt McWeeden.
mattvan1

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:50 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

You're right, besides his resounding success in his current gig, his ahead of the curve approach to offense, and arguably having the highest ceiling of any available candidate, there really isn't another reason.

Isn't having a high ceiling a good reason, though?

I'm not disagreeing with your take

In fact, I'm starting to not dislike the possibility and I now agree better him than Chin or Chuck

...and Louisville came to play tonite
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:17 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
leadpipe wrote:

Very measured response. I would have laid down some Phil Savage smack and told HooDoo to fuck off ;-) ;) :wink: ;-) ;) :wink:

Well, the guy's right.

Christ, I wonder how many times actually had the same GD rant.

But I maintain it ain't my fault, it's these cats that keep bringin' up the topic.

And as far as taking offense to the post, one thing I am is self aware. (Kind of the opposite of everyone that posts on Facebook) Whether I call HooDoo a nice guy or a cocksmoker, there's a real good chance he gives the same amount of shit either way. Which is none.

While I'm at it I'd like to extend the olive branch to all those posters who think the Browns will run the ball to Super Bowl. I give you all a gift of my 2013 moratorium on the subject. While I still think you'd have to be dumber than a shit house rooster to believe so, have at it. Trent Richardson forever. Four yards at a time!!!

Happy New Year.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:24 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

Boom or bust, baby.

I like your style (not really, but I'm trying to be less of an insensitive asshole in 2013)

Anyway, screw Vick and his baggage. We have 2 guys on the roster who I would love to see try and run that offense. And neither one is named Brandolt McWeeden.

You know, Lewis in for Weeden reminded me much of Holcomb in for Couch.

Not that this is some kind of great praise for Lewis - cause we all saw Holcomb's career. But there was the same contrast in quick thinking/confidence/ball getting out.

Couch and Weeden are very similiar in the fact that they couldn't throw guys open and don't see the whole field and play the game at a Mark Sanchez type pace - which is waaaay to slow. Again, advantage Weeden over these two cause he was a rookie but....

Anyway, point being, as Matt alludes, if the same QB's are here and Kelly is here, Weeden's in the 3 hole ILO. You just can't run ANY offense at that pace with Weeden's mind moving that slowly.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:25 pm

leadpipe wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
leadpipe wrote:

Well, the guy's right.

But I maintain it ain't my fault, it's these cats that keep bringin' up the topic.

And as far as taking offense to the post, one thing I am is self aware. (Kind of the opposite of everyone that posts on Facebook) Whether I call HooDoo a nice guy or a cocksmoker, there's a real good chance he gives the same amount of shit either way. Which is none.

While I'm at it I'd like to extend the olive branch to all those posters who think the Browns will run the ball to Super Bowl. I give you all a gift of my 2013 moratorium on the subject. While I still think you'd have to be dumber than a shit house rooster to believe so, have at it. Trent Richardson forever. Four yards at a time!!!

Happy New Year.

That's all well and good LP.

But we all know defense wins championships.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:27 pm

leadpipe wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
leadpipe wrote:

Well, the guy's right.

Happy New Year.

That's all well and good LP. We get it. QBs are more important than RBs

But we all know defense wins championships. :hide: Especially in the AFC North.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:33 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
leadpipe wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
leadpipe wrote:

Well, the guy's right.

Happy New Year.

That's all well and good LP. We get it. QBs are more important than RBs

But we all know defense wins championships. :hide: Especially in the AFC North.

Don't start. Remember the guy last year that was championing the 49ers defense in the Saints playoff game. You know, the game that featured about 17 touchdowns in the last 4 minutes.

These guys are makin' me the asshole.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:59 pm

leadpipe wrote: Christ, I wonder how many times actually had the same GD rant.

Thousands. However
a) You're correct
b) We still love you (inlove)
mattvan1

Unread postby pup » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:38 am

Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby comish » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:46 am

Yesterday one of the talking head stations had an Oregon media guy on who pointed out that Chip wouldn't necessarily bring the option read to the NFL, that he would instead design a scheme around what he has, because this is what he has done in the past.

This to me is a refreshing change since we have been ground zero for square peg/round hole thinking since the return.

Hell, the guy may even know how to make IN GAME adjustments....I don't know if I could handle that kind of football anymore.

His lack of NFL experience.....very disturbing however

T Rich for the Hall of Fame
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:56 am

Chip Kelly displays the same game clock management skills as Les Miles

This alone should scare the shit out of everyone
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:57 am

comish wrote:His lack of NFL experience.....very disturbing however

Yeah, hear you, but disturbing to me are candidates who have never managed games as a HC- even if they do have a lot of NFL coordinator experience.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:40 am

comish wrote:Yesterday one of the talking head stations had an Oregon media guy on who pointed out that Chip wouldn't necessarily bring the option read to the NFL, that he would instead design a scheme around what he has, because this is what he has done in the past.

This to me is a refreshing change since we have been ground zero for square peg/round hole thinking since the return.

I've heard others champion this idea, and if he did indeed do that, then that alleviates some fears for me.

That's just speculation at this point, and the percentage of coaches that won't change what they're doing if it's working (or even if it's not working) is probably the same as the percentage of people on earth that don't have Lou Gehrig's disease.
Hikohadon

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:47 pm

If we get chip, would he have control over the uniforms? My 12 year old hopes so.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:03 pm

pod2dawg wrote:If we get chip, would he have control over the uniforms? My 12 year old hopes so.

<-------- ditto ^^^^^^^

Some dark carbon fiber brown with orange trim would be nice & orange shoes to match the lids

Sideline snatch and a roof like Seattle's for some noise, too
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Let’s get retarded ha!
Let’s get retarded in here!
Hikohadon

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Some dark carbon fiber brown with orange trim would be nice & orange shoes to match the lids

Sideline snatch and a roof like Seattle's for some noise, too

Rack this shit.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL