Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Banner Presser

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Banner Presser

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:09 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:I get the Chip Kelly fear, but everyone and their grandmother knew Pete Carroll Peter Principled at USC. How's that working out for Seattle?

Different than Steve Spurrier worked out.

There is no situation where a previous result guarantees a similar result elsewhere. Way more college coaches fail than succeed, but that goes for coaches in general.

My worry about Chip isn't that he's from college, rather that he will try to work his option magic here rather than adapting his system to fit the NFL. At least Carrol has NFL experience - he knows how this thing works.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:11 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:I get the Chip Kelly fear, but everyone and their grandmother knew Pete Carroll Peter Principled at USC. How's that working out for Seattle?

At least Carroll has NFL experience as both a HC and in position/coordinator roles. For many years. Before that with major college programs

Prior to Oregon, Kelly has coached at New Hampshire and Johns Hopkins, and never as HC. I like the out of the box thinking - I just think the guy would be completely overwhelmed in the pros.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:14 am

Hikohadon wrote:

Different than Steve Spurrier worked out.

There is no situation where a previous result guarantees a similar result elsewhere. Way more college coaches fail than succeed, but that goes for coaches in general.

My worry about Chip isn't that he's from college, rather that he will try to work his option magic here rather than adapting his system to fit the NFL. At least Carrol has NFL experience - he knows how this thing works.

Yep. It's not Carroll in Seattle that's the comp, it's Carroll with the Jets that's the comp.

Hate having a guy figuring out NFL and how to be an NFL coach at the same time.

It's a lot on someone's plate and washout rate for first timers is extremely high. Guys like Saban and Carroll don't/wouldn't come back to NFL completely blind to what's required. That's different than college flavor of the day coming in for first taste.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL