Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Lombardi / McDaniels

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:21 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Chip Kelly?

The Cleveland Browns made it clear Monday they desire to find a strong leader at head coach after parting ways with Pat Shurmur.

Citing two high-ranking NFL personnel executives, Adam Caplan of SiriusXM NFL Radio says Oregon's Chip Kelly is Cleveland's clear top choice to coach the team.


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000120803/article/chip-kelly-reportedly-tops-browns-coaching-wishlist


Well at least bringing in a coach to run a bullshit college offense with a team that clearly doesn't have the personnel for it is something new.

I wonder if Mouse Davis is still available?
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:40 pm

Lots of smoke and no wind....

...and its a nice change compared to past 'searches'
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:18 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:20 pm

Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:Lots of smoke and no wind....

...and its a nice change compared to past 'searches'


I'm all for due dilligence, but EOD you gotta make the right decision. And Chip Kelly would not be the right decision. In fact, he'd be pretty fucking far from the right decision.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3720
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:43 pm

I'm enjoying this rare director's cut of Pulp Fiction.

:pop:
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
User avatar
FUDU
 
Posts: 13358
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:02 am
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:57 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:Lots of smoke and no wind....

...and its a nice change compared to past 'searches'


I'm all for due dilligence, but EOD you gotta make the right decision. And Chip Kelly would not be the right decision. In fact, he'd be pretty fucking far from the right decision.


In no way shape or form have I now, at any time in the past nor any time in the future, advocated the hiring of Chip Kelly

EOD, after throwing out Chin & Chucky, my pick would be O'Brien

The biggest question no one can answer is, why the fuck would anyone of them want to come and live in Cleveland...?...hence the lipstick reference

What if the Pat Schurmur's of the world are the only ones interested in living in a dying city with a football team on life support ...???

I'm seeing everyone of the names mentioned playing the Browns like a fine tuned Baby Grand for every nickel they can get...then sign with an established organization

Abandon Hope, all yee who enter Browns Land
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:18 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:01 pm

Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:Lots of smoke and no wind....

...and its a nice change compared to past 'searches'


I'm all for due dilligence, but EOD you gotta make the right decision. And Chip Kelly would not be the right decision. In fact, he'd be pretty fucking far from the right decision.


In no way shape or form have I now, at any time in the past nor any time in the future, advocated the hiring of Chip Kelly

EOD, after throwing out Chin & Chucky, my pick would be O'Brien

The biggest question no one can answer is, why the fuck would anyone of them want to come and live in Cleveland...?...hence the lipstick reference

What if the Pat Schurmur's of the world are the only ones interested in living in a dying city with a football team on life support ...???

I'm seeing everyone of the names mentioned playing the Browns like a fine tuned Baby Grand for every nickel they can get...then sign with an established organization

Abandon Hope, all yee who enter Browns Land


Only 32 of these marquee jobs available is one reason. Arrogance and ego are two more. And then there's about $6million reasons every year.

Other good thing is that in the majority of years you'll be in Costa Rica or Hawaii or the Caymans by January 2nd. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22795
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:05 pm

Another eason I lean O'Brien is because of what he did with McGloin this season

Totally transformed the kid and Weeden is an excellent comparison to him physically

His use of the TE this yr was pure Mumbles and IIRC, McGloin ended up the highest rated QB in the Big 1,836 this yr...not even suggesting he will be a pro, just sayin'
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:18 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:08 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:Lots of smoke and no wind....

...and its a nice change compared to past 'searches'


I'm all for due dilligence, but EOD you gotta make the right decision. And Chip Kelly would not be the right decision. In fact, he'd be pretty fucking far from the right decision.


In no way shape or form have I now, at any time in the past nor any time in the future, advocated the hiring of Chip Kelly

EOD, after throwing out Chin & Chucky, my pick would be O'Brien

The biggest question no one can answer is, why the fuck would anyone of them want to come and live in Cleveland...?...hence the lipstick reference

What if the Pat Schurmur's of the world are the only ones interested in living in a dying city with a football team on life support ...???

I'm seeing everyone of the names mentioned playing the Browns like a fine tuned Baby Grand for every nickel they can get...then sign with an established organization

Abandon Hope, all yee who enter Browns Land


Only 32 of these marquee jobs available is one reason. Arrogance and ego are two more. And then there's about $6million reasons every year.

Other good thing is that in the majority of years you'll be in Costa Rica or Hawaii or the Caymans by January 2nd. ;-) ;) :wink:


I see O'Brien being a guy without final say on the roster and Saban the opposite

IOW, here's your players....now go win games, which is exactly what O'Brien did
User avatar
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:18 pm
Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:06 pm

mattvan1 wrote: (Kelly) ...far from the right decision.


Well it certainly would underscore the PC reference to maybe taking a step away from contending, in the short term. Would be frustrating to see a bunch of new needs open up on offense, when most have assumed the D is poised to get some serious help.
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:45 pm

When did Not So Happy Valley become preferrable to Cleveland?
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:11 pm

Twitterverse saying it's gonna be Kelly.

I concur with the gimmick O, and no-talent having Browns
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6536
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:49 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Twitterverse saying it's gonna be Kelly.

I concur with the gimmick O, and no-talent having Browns


if you're referring to who I think you're referring to, ignore that source, and focus on Lane Adkins of OBR if you have insider.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.


Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
User avatar
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories
 
Posts: 6380
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: Kent-Green, Ohio
Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:48 am

peeker643 wrote:Again, and not because I don't think Heckert did a decent job, but the point in a lot of this is that Heckert upgraded shit to, in many cases, a better quality of crap. He removed the tumors but left pneumonia or infection in many cases. The roster is better, I agree. Some of it markedly better as noted. But in many cases the improvement is marginal at best and there is the QB stuff that Pup noted.

I think you have to take that into consideration, as well as the moves they didn't make and the acquisition costs of what they obtained, before you can be too upset about Heckert.

I'd have been fine had Heckert stayed. I think he's caable and may have been somewhat limited because of the reporting structure (i.e.- Holmgren). But to put it into terms we use a lot, he's not 'elite'. Or at least he wasn't allowed to be and likely wouldn't have been allowed to be in this new regime either.


This sums it up so perfectly. Heckert gets credit for drafting a lot of guys who are now starting, but a lot of those guys would not be starting for us if we were good (TJ Ward for example). Also, he made some questionable FA decisions, like allowing serviceable players like Vickers and Mike Adams to leave (both have contributed to playoff teams since leaving - Adams as a starter on a top D), and then using valuable draft picks to try to fill those newly created voids (and failing). He also traded up TWICE for a RB, failing miserably on the first attempt and then getting hosed on the 2nd.

I liked the guy because he didn't completely suck like everybody else we've had since 99, but he was far from great.
Last edited by neoleo on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:02 am
Location: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:05 am

Honest question on Chip Kelly. Do we definitely know that he'll try to bring his "gimmick" offense to the NFL? I would hope that Kelly would understand that his gimmick's won't work in the pros (at least as a base offense), but I'm not so sure he would even try to replicate his Oregon offenses in the NFL.

I'm open to the hire just because he's not a football dinosaur still going over Bill Walsh tapes in his basement. The prospect of actually having a coach who is creative and thinks outside the box makes me excited.
User avatar
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:02 am
Location: Cleveland, OH
Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:29 am

Letting Adams go is one thing, but in favor of Young/Ward et al?
User avatar
googleeph2
 
Posts: 1723
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:40 am
Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:40 am

neoleo wrote:Honest question on Chip Kelly. Do we definitely know that he'll try to bring his "gimmick" offense to the NFL? I would hope that Kelly would understand that his gimmick's won't work in the pros (at least as a base offense), but I'm not so sure he would even try to replicate his Oregon offenses in the NFL.

I'm open to the hire just because he's not a football dinosaur still going over Bill Walsh tapes in his basement. The prospect of actually having a coach who is creative and thinks outside the box makes me excited.

Everything I read about Chip says he is a football genius , and would have no issues adapting his style of play to the NFL. Or may come up with a totally new style of play no one has ever seen before. Many NFL coaches to include Bill Belechic have sought out his tutilege , and you are starting to see aspects of his Zone Read in teams like New England, Seattle , Washington, and Carolina.

My view is you can build dynasties in the NFL by being innovative. The copy-cats simply ride on the shirt tails.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
User avatar
Govbarney
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:44 am

And as far as Lombardi goes I have yet to see anything of substance linking us to him. Nothing from Schefter, Caplain, Mort, or even that duchebag IBN. Am I missing something...?
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
User avatar
Govbarney
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:07 am

Govbarney wrote:And as far as Lombardi goes I have yet to see anything of substance linking us to him. Nothing from Schefter, Caplain, Mort, or even that duchebag IBN. Am I missing something...?

It's becoming widely believed the Lombardi rumors were started by Lombardi.
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1543
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Triple-S wrote:
if you're referring to who I think you're referring to, ignore that source, and focus on Lane Adkins of OBR if you have insider.


Could be total shit. The beauty of Twitter.

Just fueling the fire.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6536
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: Lombardi / McDaniels

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
Triple-S wrote:
if you're referring to who I think you're referring to, ignore that source, and focus on Lane Adkins of OBR if you have insider.


Could be total shit. The beauty of Twitter.

Just fueling the fire.



Andrew Brandt‏@adbrandt

Chip Kelly: "I don't know what the future holds " Translation: "My agent's working on that."
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3720
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gbot and 3 guests

Who is online

In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: gbot and 3 guests