Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Browns will Pick 6th

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Browns will Pick 6th

Unread postby andrew6586 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:04 pm

We will pick 6th overall this year and I wanted to see what everyone thought we should go after now that the season is officially over. This could all possibly change however when free agency hits.

Our biggest needs are pass rushers (DE or OLB) and secondary. I don't think that we go with another corner in the top 10. We can get a number 2 in free agency. I think we go with pass rusher at 6. I like Demontre Moore out of Texas A&M and Bjoern Watner out of FSU. I think they can be dominant edge rushers for years to come. I like Jones out of Georgia but he has a spinal injury which could end his career if he gets hurt again. The Notre Dame fan in me also want Manti Te'o but I don't know if Banner and Co. will take a MLB that high.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Re: Browns will Pick 6th

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:44 pm

If you can get three more years from DQwell like the one you got this season you don't need the MLB right now. He's 29, keeps himself in great shape and plays sideline to sideline. Now every other LB on the roster? I'm in for getting some of those.

Agree they need DE (though draft is heavier in interior DL this year) and they do need another corner badly. Also need a ball hawking safety. Wouldn't pain me to see both safeties replaced, actually, though I think they give Ward one more year.

Also be thrilled with an OG, though obviously not at #6.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:52 pm

I still like Jarvis Jones , and a lot of mocks I see have him falling, based on fears about his spinal issues. I think he has so much upside it's worth the risk.

Also many new regimes try to trade down so they can stock up on more of " their" guys, plus we lack a 2nd round pick.
Last edited by Govbarney on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:54 pm

Might not have Dawson....perhaps they could swap 3-4 future choices to move up a few spots to secure a kicker. Those guys score points you know.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:56 pm

peeker643 wrote:If you can get three more years from DQwell like the one you got this season you don't need the MLB right now. He's 29, keeps himself in great shape and plays sideline to sideline. Now every other LB on the roster? I'm in for getting some of those.

Agree they need DE (though draft is heavier in interior DL this year) and they do need another corner badly. Also need a ball hawking safety. Wouldn't pain me to see both safeties replaced, actually, though I think they give Ward one more year.

Free safety is such a gaping bleeding hole it MUST be addressed. Wouldn't even mind them re-signing Sheldon Brown, moving him to FS, and drafting or obtaining a CB through Free agency.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:10 pm

^^ That.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:13 pm

peeker643 wrote:If you can get three more years from DQwell like the one you got this season you don't need the MLB right now. He's 29, keeps himself in great shape and plays sideline to sideline. Now every other LB on the roster? I'm in for getting some of those.

Indeed. Defensive playmaker in the worst way.

BTW, Pack-Vikes - real football. For a change.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:15 pm

With that #6 overall pick, I'd like to see them take a pass rusher, someone that will get after the QB, or someone that can rush the passer.

I would also be fine with a pass rusher.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby andrew6586 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:32 pm

Hikohadon wrote:With that #6 overall pick, I'd like to see them take a pass rusher, someone that will get after the QB, or someone that can rush the passer.

I would also be fine with a pass rusher.

I think we need a fast guy off the edge who can get into the backfield more.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Unread postby andrew6586 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:34 pm

There is the rumor out there that DQ could be moved to strong side linebacker as well. Not sure if he could but I don't think he would be all that bad outside. He is a sure tackler and has good instincts. Don't know if he has the speed to come off the edge. I could be wrong though.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:48 pm

That isn't a rumor. Q'uell's a more natural weak side LB and would excel there. He plays MLB cos we suck so bad he is the best we got.....for the moment.
pod2dawg

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:54 pm

It's nice that we're not talking offense for once, even though the QB postion is probably the biggest ? right now, but we all know this draft lacks any real gems.

As mentioned above, the secondary needs attention real bad.

I think I understand what Hiko was getting at with his post, and I agree. When's the last time the Browns had a huge threat for opposing QB's? I'd love to see that happen sometime soon.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:49 pm

The game has changed. TJ Ward is a dinosaur. Add the fact he's not really all that good and gets hurt.....

Look at Beli has done with McCourty. A guy lost at the corner, but has some ball skills. Too slight to be a safety 5 years ago, but since you can't legally hit anyone back there anymore....I'd assume that guy will be making plays for them for a few years back there - more plays than "hard hitting" TJ Ward, for example.

And since most coaches are a couple years behind Beli, it'll be a few more years before we start to see several guys with McCourty's frame - but an ability to cover, showing up all over the league.

Again, 3 things matter:

1. The QB
2. Protecting the QB
3. Getting to the QB

I'd like a top ten pick to fit in one of the above. Not sure it'll happen this year - I don't think they'll get Jones, so after these it's best player ILO.

Either this or a Fullback that indicates the direction they are going to run the ball every GD down.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:26 pm

(Peaks head in room, clearly beat to shit from a long-ass day)

Did they fire Shurmur yet?

Do what Hiko said.

(Passes out on bed, fully clothed)
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby LarsHancock » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:58 am

The pick will be DeMarcus Milliner, CB, Alabama. That is as obvious as Shurmur's pending unemployment. I bet my entire reputation on it, 10-1 odds to win a dime.
LarsHancock

Favorite Player: Armagnac
Least Favorite Player: Rumple Minze

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:35 pm

Ah the wise Lars speaks. Jones will be gone by the 6th pick even with spinal stenosis. There are several obvious very good DE/OLB that will be available , but only one elite Corner....Milliner. He may too be gone by then Lars. I would be careful with the 10-1 odds thing. Otherwise I am onboard with getting someone that doesn't need a sundial to get to the QB.
pod2dawg

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:10 pm

LarsHancock wrote:The pick will be DeMarcus Milliner, CB, Alabama. That is as obvious as Shurmur's pending unemployment. I bet my entire reputation on it, 10-1 odds to win a dime.

Based on your preseason pick with the Browns at 11 wins...I'll take $100 of that action.

Since we don't know if we are going into the 3-4 or 4-3 I'll wait. But in both cases, we need a linebacker. Te'o.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:34 pm

What's refreshing to me is to see this many posts and not one mention of needing a WR. When is the last time that happened!
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:48 am

Not just WR but all across the offense there is depth and upsides (qb exluded, but no one exceptional there anyway)

I've heard that milliner is a nice pick, but his upside isn't a lockdown corner; might be an unnecessary luxury with our inability to generate a pass rush and the dearth of quality safety play.

De, lb, cb, og. Can't wait for the useless 3 months of spin generated by the combine.....would like to see the projections on which qb is going to fly up the charts or which top 5 guy will drop becUse of a poor workout.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:49 pm

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

Geno Smith #1 to KC. Jarvis Jones #2 to Jax. Manti T'eo to the Browns at #6. QB Mike Glennon #8 overall.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:02 pm

swerb wrote:http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php

Geno Smith #1 to KC. Jarvis Jones #2 to Jax. Manti T'eo to the Browns at #6. QB Mike Glennon #8 overall.

If this team is that dumb they deserve another 20 years of sucking goat balls.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:04 pm

peeker643 wrote:

You will have to be more specific
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:07 pm

pup wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Hmm... the only way they could be dumber than taking T'eo at #6 is if the assholes trade up to get T'eo at #5. And even that wouldn't stun me any more.

Good football player. Not even close to #6 caliber. No, no, no, no, no.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:10 pm

peeker643 wrote:
pup wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Hmm... the only way they could be dumber than taking T'eo at #6 is if the assholes trade up to get T'eo at #5. And even that wouldn't stun me any more.

Was asking which team.

KC taking Smith, Jax taking a guy with no spine, us taking Teo or someone taking Glennon.

All pretty stupid as of right now, IMO.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:15 pm

pup wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
pup wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Was asking which team.

KC taking Smith, Jax taking a guy with no spine, us taking Teo or someone taking Glennon.

All pretty stupid as of right now, IMO.

Well, you're not that far up on the draft board for no reason, right?

As it stands today I'' take Mingo, Milliner, Moore or Montgomery ahead of T'eo and I'll think of 10 more before long.

Christ, might as well take Michael Mauti. :hide:

If Lotulelei is on the board at #6 do you take him even though it's an area of strength on this team?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Geno Smith was done this season as soon as Texas Tech showed him a look at the line, and then changed before the snap. Snyder did the same the following week and it still confused him as if he never saw it before...all the way thru the bowl game. SIMPLE switches he couldn't handle...and the guys going one?

Christ.

And Glennon 8 is my point on a previous post. The game is so QB centric that guys are getting drafted waaaaaay higher than they have a right to. Mike Glennon 10 years ago...3rd-4th round?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:26 am

leadpipe wrote:Geno Smith was done this season as soon as Texas Tech showed him a look at the line, and then changed before the snap. Snyder did the same the following week and it still confused him as if he never saw it before...all the way thru the bowl game. SIMPLE switches he couldn't handle...and the guys going one?

Christ.

And Glennon 8 is my point on a previous post. The game is so QB centric that guys are getting drafted waaaaaay higher than they have a right to. Mike Glennon 10 years ago...3rd-4th round?

I think the problem right now is that all these crappy teams see all the success that teams with franchise rookie QBs got and are buying high in sellers market. They see RGIII, Luck and Wilson and are trying to catch that lightning in a bottle, but I don't see a legit QB prospect like anyone of those 3 in this draft. Granted no one saw Wilson being this good this soon, but I don't see a top 10 QB in this draft.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:05 am

furls wrote:
leadpipe wrote:Geno Smith was done this season as soon as Texas Tech showed him a look at the line, and then changed before the snap. Snyder did the same the following week and it still confused him as if he never saw it before...all the way thru the bowl game. SIMPLE switches he couldn't handle...and the guys going one?

Christ.

I think the problem right now is that all these crappy teams see all the success that teams with franchise rookie QBs got and are buying high in sellers market. They see RGIII, Luck and Wilson and are trying to catch that lightning in a bottle, but I don't see a legit QB prospect like anyone of those 3 in this draft. Granted no one saw Wilson being this good this soon, but I don't see a top 10 QB in this draft.

Yeah, eye test, me either. Guarantee though that a couple of these guys will have good pro days, that combined with the fact there's nothing out there ... gonna make the Glennons of the world look better than they really are. Dog shit with some chocolate sprinkles on it. Geno Smith is so light years away from the player RG3 is its not even funny.

I am fascinated to see what the Browns do at QB. Very good possiiblity their best option will be bringing back Weeden to start, which is depressing enough to make you want to jump on the Mike Vick/Tajh Boyd Duo bandwagon.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby comish » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:00 am

Barkevious Mingo

The name alone make me hope the Browns draft him....sounds like a guy who would have rolled with Genghis Khan back in the day.....hide the women and children
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby noles1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:48 am

I think and hope a trade back may be a distinct possibility.

I am very intruiged with Tajh Boyd.

Another under the radar pass rusher is Brandon Jenkins (FSU). He is/was better than Bjorn Werner but got hurt with a foot injury early this, prior to that he was a consensus Top 15 guy.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:23 pm

Any way the Browns can just take JaDeveon Clowney and hold onto his rights for a year a la Larry Bird and the Celtics?
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:49 pm

I say Put Weeden in Chip's "O" scheme ............and get Teddy Bridgewater next year.
pod2dawg

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:46 pm

pod2dawg wrote:I say Put Weeden in Chip's "O" scheme ............and get Teddy Bridgewater next year.

If your goal is to get the #1 overall, just put Colt in there. He'll suck no matter the scheme.

Course he'd just get hurt right away...
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:I say Put Weeden in Chip's "O" scheme ............and get Teddy Bridgewater next year.

If your goal is to get the #1 overall, just put Colt in there. He'll suck no matter the scheme.

Course he'd just get hurt right away...

Win-win.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby andrew6586 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:56 pm

If we are drafting first overall next year I would rather have Clowney. Dude's a monster. I also know nothing about Bridgewater.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Unread postby fairvis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 am

andrew6586 wrote:If we are drafting first overall next year I would rather have Clowney. Dude's a monster. I also know nothing about Bridgewater.

That's the only way Clowney doesn't go #1... is that a QB poor team gets the top pick and can't overlook what Bridgewater brings to the table. Going to be a real #1a/#1b question between the two.

Even then, I'm still not sure I'd pass Clowney. Although there have only been 2 DE's drafted since 1985... Bruce Smith and *ahem* Courtney Brown...
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby andrew6586 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:02 am

fairvis wrote:
andrew6586 wrote:If we are drafting first overall next year I would rather have Clowney. Dude's a monster. I also know nothing about Bridgewater.

That's the only way Clowney doesn't go #1... is that a QB poor team gets the top pick and can't overlook what Bridgewater brings to the table. Going to be a real #1a/#1b question between the two.

Even then, I'm still not sure I'd pass Clowney. Although there have only been 2 DE's drafted since 1985... Bruce Smith and *ahem* Courtney Brown...

Mario Williams too. Clearly Courtney Brown is the best of the three.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Unread postby General » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:14 am

The Browns should trade the pick to San Diego for the rights to Junior Seau's autopsy. It can't be any worse than some past years.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:40 pm

fairvis wrote:That's the only way Clowney doesn't go #1... is that a QB poor team gets the top pick and can't overlook what Bridgewater brings to the table. Going to be a real #1a/#1b question between the two.

I'm betting by the time April 2014 rolls around, Cyrus Kouandjio is in that conversation.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:40 am

leadpipe wrote:Again, 3 things matter:
1. The QB
2. Protecting the QB
3. Getting to the QB

Quite simply amazed at teams involved in this weekend's first round of playoffs. Almost every one, winners and losers alike, had a wicked pass rush. You can talk all you want about CBs and safeties, but it's sorta apparent that the best pass defense is putting the QB on his keister, quickly and often. No matter who the head coach is, no matter who the defensive coordinator is, the Brownies have to go heavy and hard on pass-rushing DEs and OLBs in the draft.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:38 am

Wouldn't it be great to be any of the Browns QBs right now? I mean there are reports that Kelly and the Browns agreed that the QB of the future is not currently on the Browns roster. I know we all knew that. But I am not sure those Browns QBs know that. That's a real vote of confidence.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... ith_1.html
"If he becomes their coach, one consensus has been reached,'' Mortensen said. "The Browns don't have their quarterback of the future on the roster.''
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:14 pm

OldDawg wrote:Wouldn't it be great to be any of the Browns QBs right now? I mean there are reports that Kelly and the Browns agreed that the QB of the future is not currently on the Browns roster. I know we all knew that. But I am not sure those Browns QBs know that. That's a real vote of confidence.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... ith_1.html
"If he becomes their coach, one consensus has been reached,'' Mortensen said. "The Browns don't have their quarterback of the future on the roster.''

Knowing it is one thing.

Being able to do anything about it is another.
Hikohadon

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Wouldn't it be great to be any of the Browns QBs right now? I mean there are reports that Kelly and the Browns agreed that the QB of the future is not currently on the Browns roster. I know we all knew that. But I am not sure those Browns QBs know that. That's a real vote of confidence.

Moot now. Even an 8-year-old could see that none of the Browns current QBs could effectively run Kelly's read option. Doesn't mean that the new head coach couldn't install an offense that would allow any (or all four) of the team's QBs to be successful. Matter of fact, maybe that should be a key prerequisite to selecting the guy — but it won't be.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL