Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

The Hobbit in high-frame rate

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

The Hobbit in high-frame rate

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:00 am

It's been out a week now so this isn't as relevant, but I saw the Hobbit last night. I was a big Lord of the Rings honk--probably my only nerdy obsession--and my love for the movies was largely due to my love of the books, which I read way back when I was 10 and 11 years old. So I was very excited for the new trilogy to begin, even while admitting an entire trilogy devoted to one book is a bit excessive. Dumped the kids off at the in-laws and away we went.

First off: the movie was fine. A couple hokey scenes that I could have done without, but that's the nature of these types of movies. However, a big warning to anyone considering seeing it in the new high frame rate: do NOT, under any circumstances, see the movie this way. I had read reviews that said it was disorienting and had the effect of making simple movements look sped up, but I just figured those were the complaints of old farts who couldn't handle the advances of technology. Wrong. The entire movie just felt so off. For a movie with as massive a budget as it had, the HFR actually served to make it look even more unrealistic and fake. It was supposed to be a more "natural" experience, but it had the opposite effect. This is a new technology that either needs to be perfected quickly, or better yet, die a quick death.

If you're on the fence about how to see it, see the traditional way (or even just regular 3D). You'll thank yourself.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Re: The Hobbit in high-frame rate

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:36 pm

I know Peter Jackson really is pushing this technology as the "Wave of the Future," but from everything I've read, it sounds like the technology just isn't ready yet.

While I'm not going to dismiss Jackson's assertion all films eventually will be filmed this way, it sounds to me like it's a little farther down the road than Jackson believes.

Hoping to see The Hobbit this Sunday, but it may have to wait until next week.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:31 am

justmebd wrote:I know Peter Jackson really is pushing this technology as the "Wave of the Future," but from everything I've read, it sounds like the technology just isn't ready yet.

While I'm not going to dismiss Jackson's assertion all films eventually will be filmed this way, it sounds to me like it's a little farther down the road than Jackson believes.

I'd say you're dead on. It's a cool idea with some great potential, but it's not there yet. Landscape and wide shots look absolutely amazing. If no one is moving or talking, great. Anytime you've got movement or close ups, though, it sucks you right out of the movie. Just so, so strange looking. My wife said it was like being right in front of a stage and watching the action live, which sounds neat in theory but isn't what you want from a movie. Another buddy of mine who'd seen it says it was like watching something on PBS. And besides the characters being too "real," somehow, it makes the ultra detailed sets and backdrops seem less "real." So weird.

I don't know how easy it is for you to get to the movies (for us, thanks to our kids and schedules, it's damn near impossible), but if you really want to see the movie and can only go once, see it normally. If it isn't a hassle for you to go more and you're really into these movies, then try it both ways and see what you think. I've really been kicking myself for blowing my one chance to see it on this wonky new technology that killed my enjoyment of it. Now I'll have to wait 6 months to see it again and actually be able to watch it comfortably. Just to rub it in, there was a LOTR marathon on TNT the other day...really made me appreciate how fine the old ones looked without some newfangled gimmick. Kept trying to picture seeing the Hobbit that way and I could pretty much imagine how much more I would have enjoyed seeing it as a "movie" and not as some crazy "play."
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby justmebd » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:14 am

Adverb Harry wrote:
justmebd wrote:I know Peter Jackson really is pushing this technology as the "Wave of the Future," but from everything I've read, it sounds like the technology just isn't ready yet.

I'd say you're dead on. It's a cool idea with some great potential, but it's not there yet. Landscape and wide shots look absolutely amazing. If no one is moving or talking, great. Anytime you've got movement or close ups, though, it sucks you right out of the movie. Just so, so strange looking. My wife said it was like being right in front of a stage and watching the action live, which sounds neat in theory but isn't what you want from a movie. Another buddy of mine who'd seen it says it was like watching something on PBS. And besides the characters being too "real," somehow, it makes the ultra detailed sets and backdrops seem less "real." So weird.

I don't know how easy it is for you to get to the movies (for us, thanks to our kids and schedules, it's damn near impossible), but if you really want to see the movie and can only go once, see it normally. If it isn't a hassle for you to go more and you're really into these movies, then try it both ways and see what you think. I've really been kicking myself for blowing my one chance to see it on this wonky new technology that killed my enjoyment of it. Now I'll have to wait 6 months to see it again and actually be able to watch it comfortably. Just to rub it in, there was a LOTR marathon on TNT the other day...really made me appreciate how fine the old ones looked without some newfangled gimmick. Kept trying to picture seeing the Hobbit that way and I could pretty much imagine how much more I would have enjoyed seeing it as a "movie" and not as some crazy "play."

I have a 2-year old, so it's pretty damn hard to go to a movie right now. Trying to schedule it for New Year's Day and have Grandma hang around and keep an eye on him during naptime.
justmebd

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:51 pm

You're not going to take him to the movie?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby justmebd » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:58 pm

FUDU wrote:You're not going to take him to the movie?

Not old enough yet. He'd never sit still for it. He barely watches TV.
justmebd

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture