Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

NFL In Decline

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: NFL In Decline

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:56 pm

aclayman wrote:Just for fun and useless comparison purposes, here are the teams that had next to no chance with their shitty QBs 20 years ago...

Colts (Jeff George)
Jets (Browning Neagle)
Patriots (Hugh Millen)
Browns (Bernie, at least by that point)
Chiefs (Dave Krieg)
Raiders (Jay Schroeder)
Seahawks (Stan Gelbaugh)
Cardinals (Chris Chandler)
Vikings (Rich Gannon, at least at that point)
Packers (Don Majkowski)
Lions (Rodney Peete)
Bears (Jim Harbaugh)
Bucs (Vinnie Testaverde)
Saints (Bobby Hebert)
Falcons (Chris Miller)
Rams (Jim Everett)

That's a pretty substantial 16 teams (Hiko's list had 21, and that's post expansion). In support of his argument, though-- as far as how the game has changed-- three guys not in the list above include the less than amazing Stan Humphries (Chargers), Neil O'Donnell (Steelers), and Mark Rypien (Skins), all of whom DID play in Super Bowls thanks to the exploits of their teammates.

To be fair, Mark Rypien had an excellent run. The two Super Bowl years he was a Pro Bowler, damn near won the MVP in one of those seasons, and was the Super Bowl MVP. He was a top QB in the league at that time.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Spread it out and start throwing downfield more often than running and TR will get big yards and Weeden will be more in his comfort zone

Give him the green light to start slinging it all over the field and for God's sake and ours, will someone please teach him how to dop it in the bucket vs throwing darts all the time

Personally, I loved the Skins game as Schurmur was exposed for the total fraud that he is and he now becomes the tail on the donkey's ass that was Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Didn't Everitt at least make it to the SB?

..and Kreig was past his prime in KC IIRC but he was at the very least a very exciting player to watch

In fact, he and Largent are why my oldest son is a Seahawks fan

Krieg is one of the most prolific passers in NFL history, ranking among the all-time top 15 in most passing categories.

In 19 seasons, Krieg played in 213 games, completed 58.5 percent of his passes (3,105 for 5,311) for 38,147 passing yards, 261 touchdowns, 199 interceptions and an 81.5 rating. He also had 417 rushing attempts for 1,261 yards and 13 touchdowns and 3 pass receptions for 10 yards.

Dave Krieg played in 12 postseason games and completed 51.1 percent of his passes (144 for 282) for 1,895 passing yards, 11 touchdowns, 10 interceptions and a 70.86 rating. He also had 17 rushing attempts for 20 yards and 1 touchdown.

quikkie from wiki ^^^
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Did this research the other day ...

29 QBs have won the Super Bowl. 22 of them never threw a pass for another NFL team in their careers.

Moral -- if you get an outstanding QB, you don't let him go. And you probably got your outstanding QB through the draft. This is even more pronounced since 2004. Only Drew Brees played for another team before he went to the Super Bowl since then. Be interesting to see if Peyton Manning can become just the third QB to take two different teams to the Super Bowl.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 am

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Be interesting to see if Peyton Manning can become just the third QB to take two different teams to the Super Bowl.

Between Peyton and the Donks' D, they're my favorite to make it out of the AFC.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:29 am

GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Did this research the other day ...

29 QBs have won the Super Bowl. 22 of them never threw a pass for another NFL team in their careers.

Moral -- if you get an outstanding QB, you don't let him go. And you probably got your outstanding QB through the draft. This is even more pronounced since 2004. Only Drew Brees played for another team before he went to the Super Bowl since then. Be interesting to see if Peyton Manning can become just the third QB to take two different teams to the Super Bowl.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that Weeden is likely a future Super Bowl winner and will retire a Cleveland Brown.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:02 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
GodHatesClevelandSport wrote:Be interesting to see if Peyton Manning can become just the third QB to take two different teams to the Super Bowl.

I might agree, then I remember how easily the Pats handled the Horsie D.

Denver comes through if someone else takes out NE for them. But my guess right now would be a Kaepernick-Brady rematch.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:05 am

Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:Didn't Everitt at least make it to the SB?

..and Kreig was past his prime in KC IIRC but he was at the very least a very exciting player to watch

In fact, he and Largent are why my oldest son is a Seahawks fan

Krieg is one of the most prolific passers in NFL history, ranking among the all-time top 15 in most passing categories.

In 19 seasons, Krieg played in 213 games, completed 58.5 percent of his passes (3,105 for 5,311) for 38,147 passing yards, 261 touchdowns, 199 interceptions and an 81.5 rating. He also had 417 rushing attempts for 1,261 yards and 13 touchdowns and 3 pass receptions for 10 yards.

Dave Krieg played in 12 postseason games and completed 51.1 percent of his passes (144 for 282) for 1,895 passing yards, 11 touchdowns, 10 interceptions and a 70.86 rating. He also had 17 rushing attempts for 20 yards and 1 touchdown.

quikkie from wiki ^^^

I agree, Krieg was at least Matt Ryan-ish, probably better.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:

I might agree, then I remember how easily the Pats handled the Horsie D.

Denver comes through if someone else takes out NE for them. But my guess right now would be a Kaepernick-Brady rematch.

As impressive as the Broncos look, the one thing that I see as a problem is that by the time playoffs roll around, they'll have actually gone MONTHS without seeing a decent NFL team. Not that they can't handle one, its just a team like this is ripe for a smack in the face from someone who knows what the hell they are doing.

ANYONE who makes the playoffs is gonna be a wake-up call for them.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:45 pm

Eli showed nothing before his first SB run. Every pass he threw was either wobbly or a duck. Toomer and Shockey bailed out at least 5 overthrows a game. He ran around looking frightened in the pocket. There was nothing in his game to suggest what he's ultimately become.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL