Text Size

No Holds Barred

The Gun Question

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Re: The Gun Question

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:28 pm

And someone correct me (like I have to ask) but I was under the impression that Illinois was about as tightened down a state in terms of gun control as any in the country. If that's the case their numbers aren't something to brag about either.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:30 pm

For as bad as Illinois is murder rate per 100K are down SUBSTANTIALLY since the 90s.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:33 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Cali should be flat, their aggressive reform started in 1989, not 2005.

DC started in the early 90s.

Same with NYC.

A 2005 - 2009 sample size shows very little. I already provided that data, Cali homocides are down 56% since the passing of the first gun control legislature in 1989. That legislature isn't the only reason, but it is certainly a component.

Okay, but what's to say that legislation and that component didn't simply bring Cali back toward the mean? Looking at the raw numbers, even with the efforts they've made, you're still looking at almost 80% more murders in Cali than in Texas and the % of firearms murders (Cali 68%, TX- 64% per 100,000 people) would indicate..... what, exactly?

And answer my question about the measures I mentioned above. I want to hear.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:37 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:For as bad as Illinois is murder rate per 100K are down SUBSTANTIALLY since the 90s.

But is that good enough? Is that what we're looking for?

Illinois is the 5th biggest state by population and has the 7th most murders, 80% of which are gun related. And they're very restrictive. It would be worse if they weren't, yes(?), but it's not stopping the problem. It's only brought it down to where the numbers are in line with their population.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:07 pm

Why do Americans see protection of the Second Amendment as synonymous with maintaining their 'freedom' and liberty? The Constitution and the Bill of Rights which so many Americans hide behind and revere so fervently are based on English and French documents from 17th and 18th century (e.g. 1689 English Bill of Rights is the document where you will find the provenance of the US Second Amendment). Your 'freedoms' are not uniquely 'American'. Many of you would benefit from realising that 'freedom' is not idiosyncratically nor solely an 'American' idea/value. Stricter gun laws make it more difficult for the wrong people to own guns. Yes, ok some will still find illegal avenues into procuring firearms but if restrictions on gun ownership saves lives then why are you so opposed to it? As long as it's not their children dying then they are quite happy to continue to enjoy this so called 'freedom' of gun ownership. Is this really worth fighting for? Can your conscience bear the burden of knowing that innocent children die so that you can fire a few rounds and a target range.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:18 pm

1) Expand the FFL requirement to all assault weapons. You are going to have to grandfather in all the ones currently owned legally (like the NFA in 1986), or have some sort of way to have these people register them. Complicated situation.

2) Close the gun show loophole.

3) Reinstate the 5 day waiting period.

4) All guns and ammo sold over the internet requires no less than a 14 day waiting period, increased sales tax, and approval from local law enforcement.

5) Make the legal magazine size smaller.

As a gun owner, I will not just comply with the demands of an angry mob high on self righteousness. It will be a situation where both sides must compromise.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:29 pm

You can't compare Apples to Oragnes in statistical analysis Peeker. When stats and cities that have put legistlature in place have improved (dramatically) in murder rates per capita you can't answer with: "but there aren't that many murders in Texas!!!"

Population density, income levels, urban realities, etc all impact those figures dramaticly in Illinois, Cali, NYC and DC. Substantial decline in those areas can't be nullified by the fact that Texas isn't nearly populated the same.

Even Cali lets the rural areas have slight differences in their treatment.

Now the problem becomes, we've seen marked improvement in areas where we have rolled out the strictest of gun control (typically Urban) while letting suburbs and rural areas have far more lax laws. Well, now the urban war is countered by the suburban killing spree. If we've made vast improvements in one area (seriously, do you realize how FUCKED our cities were in the 90s? You are significantly undervaluing what it took to get Chicagoland/DC/NYC/LA all to the point where urban renewal could begin) we should at least try expanding the legistlature that created those improvements to another area. And we should also think outside the box a bit.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Can your conscience bear the burden of knowing that innocent children die so that you can fire a few rounds and a target range

Oh shut the fuck up, asshole. I didn't walk into that school and start blasting. Your attempt to lay a guilt trip on everyone who owns firearms is shameless.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:40 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Can your conscience bear the burden of knowing that innocent children die so that you can fire a few rounds and a target range

Oh shut the fuck up, asshole. I didn't walk into that school and start blasting. Your attempt to lay a guilt trip on everyone who owns firearms is shameless.

My problem is that you manage to so easily detach your 'freedom' from the consequences that result from it. I'm not saying you condone or are in some way to blame for the slaughter of hundreds every year by gun crime, but rather I suggest that you hold your gun rights higher than what is in the interests of the majority.

Not exactly in keeping with government of the people, by the people, for the people.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:43 pm

I do apologize for name calling, BP. I was angry.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:52 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I do apologize for name calling, BP. I was angry.

It's fine. My language can sometimes be antagonistic

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby dmiles » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:19 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I do apologize for name calling, BP. I was angry.

It's fine. My language can sometimes be antagonistic

Good discussion, I do not, and have not ever owned shooting weapon of any kind including a BB Gun. I did qualify M-16 and 38 handgun while in the military, but I've always been so damn paycheck-to-paycheck my entire adult life, that investing in guns and ammo was just not my thing. The only thing I remember shooting was frogs with my friends BB Gun. My family wants to get involved, shooting ranges, handguns, etc. and I just haven't made it a priority. Yet philosophically I think like this:

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty"

Of course you can't actually prove that Thomas Jefferson said that even though it flies around the internet faster than a Morgan Freeman quote.

The problem is that in these times we fear each other. When we fear one another naturally we turn to the government to help alleviate those fears in some way. There are no easy answers in all this, but I like CDT's solution. Peeker has reasonable ideas. And doing nothing just isn't going to happen so finding some middle ground is crucial.

Is it just too soon to bring up this continuing intrusion of our Civil Liberties during the Bush/Obama years? That trend is about to accelerate. (Which is why finding some middle ground is the only choice).

Personally I want to know that there are folks out there armed to the teeth. Yet, all it takes is one....
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:57 pm

Rights born of the Constitution should not be granted in accordance with a tax. I'm sorry but that's absurd. Nor is this an issue of race what so ever. The reason this recent tragedy, and similar ones, garners so much attention is b/c innocent children were the victims AND b/c this again has happened in what almost all of us would consider a very innocent and untouchable setting, a school. It's a place where we'd say you just don't do this there, not a school.

I'm in full agreement that security in schools is unrealistic, especially considering this countries financial situation, even though the safety of our children probably shouldn't have a ceiling.

England had/has a gun problem, sounds like they might need some...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1223193/Culture-violence-Gun-crime-goes-89-decade.html

This is a rare instance I assume, as rare as the tragedy on Friday.

http://easybakegunclub.com/news/1943/Clackamas-Mall-Shooter-Was-Confonted-By-Concealed-.html

Ultimately I don't think it can be overstated that in our country, of 300 million people, only one person walked into Sandy Hook Elementary and killed those women and children, only one.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:01 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:My problem is that you manage to so easily detach your 'freedom' from the consequences that result from it.

This is an excellent point Brit.

IMO a point that begins to touch on some of the changes we've seen in our culture.

FUDU

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:38 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:You can't compare Apples to Oragnes in statistical analysis Peeker. When stats and cities that have put legistlature in place have improved (dramatically) in murder rates per capita you can't answer with: "but there aren't that many murders in Texas!!!"

Population density, income levels, urban realities, etc all impact those figures dramaticly in Illinois, Cali, NYC and DC. Substantial decline in those areas can't be nullified by the fact that Texas isn't nearly populated the same.

Even Cali lets the rural areas have slight differences in their treatment.

Now the problem becomes, we've seen marked improvement in areas where we have rolled out the strictest of gun control (typically Urban) while letting suburbs and rural areas have far more lax laws. Well, now the urban war is countered by the suburban killing spree. If we've made vast improvements in one area (seriously, do you realize how FUCKED our cities were in the 90s? You are significantly undervaluing what it took to get Chicagoland/DC/NYC/LA all to the point where urban renewal could begin) we should at least try expanding the legistlature that created those improvements to another area. And we should also think outside the box a bit.

And at what point have I said in this thread that I'm not willing to listen to doing that?

I'm fine with it. Make it harder to get licensed and get a CCW, make it more painful to violate more stringent laws. I suggested that earlier. And I'd still make it somewhat more expensive for ammo while limiting capacities of mags. Use the increased revenues to fund safety/education programs or beef up security in high risk venues.

We're only an element of time away before one of our sporting events is Black Sunday. Not "if", "when".

I get all that. And I truly wish people would specify who they're talking about when they write we're hanging onto an archaic amendment. I'm not. I said immediately I do not own the guns I have to protect myself from the tyranny of governments foreign and domestic. I have them because I'm licensed to do so, I'm responsible and respectful of what they do and I use them to varying effects when I hunt or go to the range.

I understand the difference between cars and guns and booze and meth. Stop assuming everyone who owns a gun is a card carrying radical right wing NRA member. I'm not that. Not directed at any one person, just saying stereotypes are lazy. I thought long and hard about bringing guns into my house and I think long and hard about what I'll be doing every single time I carry that concealed carry weapon. I'm going to get a beer for JTA's and another friend's birthday right now. I'm not taking a weapon out. I don't take it to work. I don't take it to schools. You're prohibited from doing so and if you're responsible enough to understand when to take it and when to leave it home you're ahead of the game. But I take when I go fish and when I hunt or when I go to a hotel for soccer/volleyball tournies, etc because I've been in situations where it may ultimately be what gets me, my wife or my kids home. And I'm going to get me and my kids home if it comes to that.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:28 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:As long as it's not your kids that are dying because of all that out-dated and irrelevant 'freedom' you are enjoying, then I don't expect your absurd attitudes to change...You do understand King George is no longer a threat, right?

Please spare me from your snotty foreigner attitude of thinking you always know better. Enjoy big brother on every street corner. Enjoy the crazy, Dark Age Muslims flooding your country.

Seriously, Limey...no one here gives a rats ass about what you think while stuck on an over populated island full of unwashed stinking ragheads and drunken soccer fans who puke on each other

Pay your bills from WWII...then we'll talk nice
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:35 am

Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:As long as it's not your kids that are dying because of all that out-dated and irrelevant 'freedom' you are enjoying, then I don't expect your absurd attitudes to change...You do understand King George is no longer a threat, right?

Please spare me from your snotty foreigner attitude of thinking you always know better. Enjoy big brother on every street corner. Enjoy the crazy, Dark Age Muslims flooding your country.

Seriously, Limey...no one here gives a rats ass about what you think while stuck on an over populated island full of unwashed stinking ragheads and drunken soccer fans who puke on each other

Pay your bills from WWII...then we'll talk nice

...I don't think I can add anything to make you look anymore foolish and insular.

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:35 am

CNN: Gun Sales Surge After Shooting:

http://edition.cnn.com/video/?utm_sourc ... ef=edition

Fuckin great country we live in!

"You guys think gun control is coming?! BUY BUY BUY!!!!"
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:53 pm

So, if this incident had merely been a repeat of the Aurora shooting this past summer--say some douche dressed up like a wizard and shot up a bunch of Tolkein dorks--would it have gotten anywhere near the enduring response this appears to be getting at this point?

And if, as I'm assuming, it wouldn't have, does this just mean the cultural lesson learned is: Stupid American Kid Worship trumps Stupid American Gun Worship?
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:07 pm

That's the real truth in all this. The only reason people care right now is because they can see their kids faces as the victims. Aurora didn't get this response (though interestingly the NRA took 10 days off Twitter after Aurora out of respect, they didn't even take a day this time), everytime an innocent kid has been killed by a stray bullet in the city no one cared, etc.

It's really tragic what it takes to make people realize how truly deep some of our core problems run.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:08 pm

HoodooMan wrote:So, if this incident had merely been a repeat of the Aurora shooting this past summer--say some douche dressed up like a wizard and shot up a bunch of Tolkein dorks--would it have gotten anywhere near the enduring response this appears to be getting at this point?

And if, as I'm assuming, it wouldn't have, does this just mean the cultural lesson learned is: Stupid American Kid Worship trumps Stupid American Gun Worship?

I don't know. All comes down to kids that age being "innocent" I guess. Same way a St Judes Cancer commercial pulls at the heartstrings more so than a Cancer Center of America comercial.

Like there are lines of demarcation. 15 yr old gangbangers kill each other every day. No one gets...umm.... up in arms over gun laws when that happens. Lee might tell you no one cares because of racial issues (aside from him, of course ;-) ;) :wink: ). I will tell you that's it more their "innocence", age and 'age of reason' issues that differentiate them from twenty 6 yr olds.

At least it is from my perspective.

Starting to wonder if my refusal to watch Batman and Hobbit movies is more about some innate survival instinct as opposed to a dislike of bad movies...

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:09 pm

It's not racial so much as it is cultural Peeks.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:15 pm

I will say this event doesn't surpass the disappointment/shock/whatever of the Chardon shootings for me.

Maybe it's the proximity.

It doesn't fall short of it either but I can honestly say those events are more impactful than the Aurora shooting or the Oregon Mall shooting.

Not sure what that means but...

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Spin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:24 pm

Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Spin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:25 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

My problem is that you manage to so easily detach your 'freedom' from the consequences that result from it. I'm not saying you condone or are in some way to blame for the slaughter of hundreds every year by gun crime, but rather I suggest that you hold your gun rights higher than what is in the interests of the majority.

Not exactly in keeping with government of the people, by the people, for the people.

If a drunk driver mowed down some of your family members, would you try to make us feel guilty for driving a car?
Spin

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:27 pm

If I had kids, I guess I'd be more likely to see it that way, but (and it feels like I'm paraphrasing Carlin here, maybe?) kids mostly seem to me like future shitty adults.

Aurora was the most disturbing for me, I think, simply because it felt the smartest and most premeditated.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Spin wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

If a drunk driver mowed down some of your family members, would you try to make us feel guilty for driving a car?

No, I'd have a problem if you were one to frequent drive while drunk (which would be a closer analogy to the topic under discussion)

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Unread postby Spin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:35 pm

HoodooMan wrote:If I had kids, I guess I'd be more likely to see it that way, but (and it feels like I'm paraphrasing Carlin here, maybe?) kids mostly seem to me like future shitty adults.

Aurora was the most disturbing for me, I think, simply because it felt the smartest and most premeditated.

The 19 kids in the OKC bombing are an afterthought to most people. Maybe because explosives can't be used to push a political agenda.
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:43 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:
Spin wrote:
British_Pharaoh wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

No, I'd have a problem if you were one to frequent drive while drunk (which would be a closer analogy to the topic under discussion)

The analogy is the same. It's the ass hole in control that does the killing.
Spin

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:44 pm

HoodooMan wrote:If I had kids, I guess I'd be more likely to see it that way, but (and it feels like I'm paraphrasing Carlin here, maybe?) kids mostly seem to me like future shitty adults.

And I think that's the biggest issue of all of them. And one of the things that will limit the effectiveness of any tightening of gun control laws. It's a couple leaps of logic away from the issue we're discussing, but the underlying issue to many (most) of the societal ills is parenting. That's includes gang bangers, kids who are bullying, kids who are mentally ill and don't get the right treatment/care/supervision, all of it.

It's an overwhelming issue and one so big I have no idea how you begin fixing it. I think the gun issue and drug issue and a lot of other issues are derivatives of that. Just my opinion.

Now, kind of as an aside and not because I know at all what the hell I'm doing when it comes to raising three girls, but I debated even talking about this whole deal with my youngest. It's uncomfortable, it's scary, it's unnatural in my mind. But I did talk to her and asked what she would do if someone walked into their school or classroom with a gun. I have no answers. My advice to her was to get to the floor as quickly as possible and tip her desk to stay behind, cover her head and face with a book.

How's that for advice to your 12 year old middle schooler? Sure as shit not a conversation I ever had with my parents. But is one I also had to have with the two in high school.

I mean, what do you say? Is there more you can do to, if not protect them and insulate them, to at least tip the odds in their favor of getting out of that room while the kids of someone who didn't have that talk don't?

That's where we're at?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:46 pm

And now Spin has progressed all the way to the car analogy Peeker was smart enough to avoid fully earlier.

Your (and your ilks) presence in this country is truly one of the reasons I'm considering leaving it.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Spin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:47 pm

And I think that's the biggest issue of all of them. And one of the things that will limit the effectiveness of any tightening of gun control laws. It's a couple leaps of logic away from the issue we're discussing, but the underlying issue to many (most) of the societal ills is parenting.

Like most of these shootings, this kid was in a well-to-do school and didn't fit in. Parents divorced, etc etc etc. They're carbon copies of each other.
Last edited by Spin on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:And now Spin has progressed all the way to the car analogy Peeker was smart enough to avoid fully earlier.

Your (and your ilks) presence in this country is truly one of the reasons I'm considering leaving it.

Need a ride to the airport?
Spin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:59 pm

Don’t people see the inherent shit-hole of a country that we have created at this point? Our political process… broken. Our economy…. Broken. Our rights…. Limited by The Bible…. Our guns, WE’VE GOT THE MOST IN THE WORLD…. Our murder rate, unbearably high….

Dmiles talked earlier about feeling better about protecting liberty by having an armed nation and then alluded to the Obama and Bush’s intrusion on our personal freedoms. Well, I must ask, in a nation that is broken and becoming more broke by the day isn’t it the gov’ts responsibility to intrude when we can no longer be trusted to police ourselves? It isn’t like our personal freedoms are being taken away, so much as they are now being monitored, stored and rightly observed.

If we want complete and utter privacy we (as a nation) have to prove that we can handle it. If we want to be armed to the teeth we have to prove we can handle it. If we want a functioning political system we have to elect people that will create it. We ultimately own the shit we are living in right now and until we realize that things will continue to degrade. This issue, suburban kids being killed in a “safe” place, is a chance for people to actualize a problem that has been present in other cultural places in our country forever and actually work toward a solution. It’s a chance to stand up and start trying to fix something that is broken.

And frankly if we don’t start working (as a nation) to fix things here (starting with our political system) we deserve to lose more and more and more right. W the ability to self-govern is lost the presence of democracy is also lost. This is a fact I truly believe. If the nation continues down the path that it is on the only answer may be absolute submission to an absolute power.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:03 pm

I can't even wrap my head around the challenge that would be parenting your kids in such a way that they're different enough from their shittily-raised peers to grow into the kind of well-adjusted adults you'd like them to be...but not so different from their shittily-raised peers that they become social outcasts, with all of the baggage that can carry. That is, if you can even pull off the "different" part of that equation and all your efforts aren't undermined by the pressure to conform to the BS around them that they can't possibly have the perspective to realize is BS before they're swallowed up by that BS.

Good luck, parents. I'm not sure our nuclear apocalypse can come soon enough.

TANGENTS!

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:07 pm

Good discussion all around, but I think it's a little faulty to compare gun control as it pertains to urban street crime to gun control as it pertains to unthinkable tragedies like Newtown and Aurora. I actually agree with Lee about the methods used in DC, California, NYC, etc. and think they should be implemented more. But what happened in Newtown and Aurora is on such another level (with mental health, repression, willing suicide, etc. involved) that you're almost talking about a separate crime.

And the extreme positions on either side of this are like a football defense deciding that now it's only strategy is to prevent 80 yard touchdown runs. Sure, you always want to prevent 80 yard touchdown runs but focusing only on that will likely hurt you in other areas and make things worse. The continued problem of everything being reactive instead of proactive in this country, but that's another discussion. There's a solution in the middle that attacks both issues the best we can, but it's in the middle. You're never banning guns and you're never keeping crime under control with unfettered access to any gun you want. We have to consider what would have a realistic chance of passing and a realistic chance of working given what's already in place.
Last edited by Kingpin74 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:08 pm

Rural politics = antisocial politics

Until someone comes up with the Grand Unified Theory of Politix that addresses the urban/rural divide in such a way that everyone feels like they're getting what they want, we're F'd.

HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:15 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Our political process… broken. Our economy…. Broken.

Dmiles talked earlier about feeling better about protecting liberty by having an armed nation and then alluded to the Obama and Bush’s intrusion on our personal freedoms. Well, I must ask, in a nation that is broken and becoming more broke by the day isn’t it the gov’ts responsibility to intrude when we can no longer be trusted to police ourselves? It isn’t like our personal freedoms are being taken away, so much as they are now being monitored, stored and rightly observed.

That's the issue, Lee. You want a government that's led us to "broken" to intrude. I don't know which people out there I can trust, but I know better than to trust any policitician because I'm quite convinced that the vast majority have only their own interests at heart. Whehter it be financially motivated or power motivated our "leaders" have given me no indication they're capable of not manipulating any system for their own gains.

You want a revolution I can get behind then set the gun issue aside for just a moment and start buying back and melting down the corrupt fucks that run politics in this country. I'd start there and work my way on after that.

But you'd actually need a populus that gave a shit to do it. And I don't know if people care enough or are aware enough to actually give a shit or do anything about it.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby dem425 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:28 pm

by e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:46 pm

If this was a serious quote, I have one question. Would you renounce your citizenship?
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:41 pm

Note: I did say we have to start by fixing the poltiical system. That said, even with the corrupt political system we have today, I feel better having the gov't intrude on me via "rights violations" like the Patriot Act than I do without them.

And no dem, I wouldn't care about that. Leaving this country would be for a multitude of reasons, but mainly because the future is so grim. We aren't even educating our kids at a level considered high-end globally now. Throw in the fact that they are getting shot up for being six and... well... WTF is it worth? The only thing saving our intellectual capital here is our Universities (real ones, not shitty ones) and we are trying our damndest to ruin the value of college diplomas from the US as well. Throw in the economy and the broken poltiics and you have to honestly start to question what the future is here.

If I were to leave it would be because of a search for intellect, not for some "FUCK THE US I'M DENOUNCING" load of shit.

The IQ of this country is going to bottom out, soon. Or we'll end up in a civil war of sorts between urban and rural America.

I've been trying to hold out freaking out about the future until all the Boomers die, but it just seems so damn far away.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:33 pm

Where the hell are you going to go?
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Where the hell are you going to go?

If you ruin this and he stays I will hunt you down to my dying day.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:38 pm

Well people always say that shit, hell I've said it, and no one ever follows through.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby dem425 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:50 pm

I have heard of people leaving for economic reasons, yet maintain dual citizenship and residences. I've really never heard of someone leaving this country (as broken as it might be) for an INTELLECTUAL haven.

I use to think of myself as a cynic's cynic. And I have been pissed off enough to consider never voting again (but i succumbed). I hate the hippocrisy of local/state gov't bureaucracy and I think our governor needs to be replaced.

Certainly, after this 4-page debate on guns, I really do think there needs to be some major reform.

But I've invested too much of myself (and my children, and now grandchildren) in this country to EVER, EVER consider leaving. Hiding out in a Montana wilderness cabin, yes......But NEVER leaving.

You are one angry individual.
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:56 pm

I'm far more sad than angry. And it depends where things go, becsuse this nation truly is at a crossroads.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:00 pm

Kinda hoping he heads off to Islamabad. I think those folks would appreciate his direct approach to telling them how effed up they are and the suggestions he has for them to remedy those shortcomings. ;-) ;) :wink:

And they need more hipsters in Pakistan. Surprisingly few of them over there from what I hear.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:53 pm

Lee has actually made some good points today, don't get me wrong I'll pay for the U-haul and help with the move. However most of those points still revolved around the individual and the choices they make and how responsible the person is, they just do.

Most of it starts at home. Maybe even all of it.

It feels like people just aren't fully invested at home, or at least a lot aren't, and if they are it is with the wrong priorities.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:22 pm

I hear Karachi is nice. Leads the world in heroin addicts, and their gun policy is fairly loose.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:55 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Don’t people see the inherent shit-hole of a country that we have created at this point? Our political process… broken. Our economy…. Broken. Our rights…. Limited by The Bible…. Our guns, WE’VE GOT THE MOST IN THE WORLD…. Our murder rate, unbearably high….

If we want complete and utter privacy we (as a nation) have to prove that we can handle it. If we want to be armed to the teeth we have to prove we can handle it. If we want a functioning political system we have to elect people that will create it. We ultimately own the shit we are living in right now and until we realize that things will continue to degrade. This issue, suburban kids being killed in a “safe” place, is a chance for people to actualize a problem that has been present in other cultural places in our country forever and actually work toward a solution. It’s a chance to stand up and start trying to fix something that is broken.

And frankly if we don’t start working (as a nation) to fix things here (starting with our political system) we deserve to lose more and more and more right. W the ability to self-govern is lost the presence of democracy is also lost. This is a fact I truly believe. If the nation continues down the path that it is on the only answer may be absolute submission to an absolute power.

JFC I'm glad/hope I won't be around for your dictator-in-chief...unless you're like jb and think he's here already?

I mean, that cocksucker coukld have fucked a goat on live TV and his lemmings would stillhave voted for him...thats a problem...that blind party loyalty when everything should have pointed to a change and then another change and then another change etc etc etc

The government doens't have any answers other than taking other peoples money...the government is the major part of the fucking problem...just ask an Indian

FUKC!..Just read all the pork passed in a bill to help Sandy victims!

Fuk the government and its white collar thieves...JFC...if a plane had to smash into any bldg on 9-11 justice would have been hitting the capitol bldg with congress and the senate in session

That would have been a clean slate
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:16 pm

FUDU wrote:Lee has actually made some good points today, don't get me wrong I'll pay for the U-haul and help with the move. However most of those points still revolved around the individual and the choices they make and how responsible the person is, they just do.

Most of it starts at home. Maybe even all of it.

It feels like people just aren't fully invested at home, or at least a lot aren't, and if they are it is with the wrong priorities.

Everything I've read so far about the parents, both father and mother, are that they were universally considered good people and good parents.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

PreviousNext

Return to No Holds Barred