Text Size

College Sports Arena

Big East on verge of Total Collapse

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Big East on verge of Total Collapse

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:51 am

The 7 BBALL Catholic Schools are now all but certain to leave the Big Ez, and San Deago St. and Boise St. are frantically trying to rejoin the MWC.

Right now that only leaves UC, UConn, and USF as full members.

There are about 9 Schools that were scheduled to join as either full or partial members next year to include Houston, SMU, UCF and Memphis. Do these schools join? or do they back off like BSU and SDS, which would all but force the extinction of the Big east?
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: Big East on verge of Total Collapse

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:54 am

WhackPhisto called, he said to STFU and RESPECT.

USF BULLZ IN DA HOUZE AND CAN CARRY A CONFERENCE BY THEMSELVES.

REZPEKT

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15802
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:16 pm

UC made a huge, unsuccessful, push to try and replace Maryland in the ACC. Even tried to enlist Urban [a graduate] to make some calls on their behalf. He didn't.

Hard to say you couldn't see this coming. UConn's got the Bball program that should land them somewhere, but it's gonna be difficult for the other two to end up anywhere but back in a C-USA type.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby dmiles » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Lots of gnashing of teeth here at UCF too. Boo hoo.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Hold on....

WHACKPHISTO.... BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Almost as funny as WhackPhisto is Tommy Tubberville ditching a recruit he was out to dinner with to take the UC job now ending up in C-USA most probably.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow ... 2005.story

That gets at least six ROFL Icons.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:54 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Almost as funny as WhackPhisto is Tommy Tubberville ditching a recruit he was out to dinner with to take the UC job now ending up in C-USA most probably.

C-USA is too good for that ass.
But if not C-USA, or the ACC who else is available for them... Big 12... MAC...gulp
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Spin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:56 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Almost as funny as WhackPhisto is Tommy Tubberville ditching a recruit he was out to dinner with to take the UC job now ending up in C-USA most probably.

Ahhhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa!!!
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:01 pm

Man, Cincy would run RAGGED over the MAC.

It would be a disgusting display of complete and utter dominance.

I really can't explain how happy I am. I've been BEGGING for the Big Least to lose their Auto-Qualifier bid for as long as I can remember. Now, now the witch is dead!

I just keeping having flashbacks to the year BC, Rutgers and USF were #2 in the country at different points and the near disaster we averted with that title game (of course that disaster was avoided by OSU being sacrificed to LSU).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:17 pm

UC and Tommy have claimed that story is false, FWIW.

It's not like leaving the Big 12 for the Big East wasn't a step down anyways. He must of just really fucking hated Lubbock and Texas Tech. That's the only reason you make that move. Especially at a time when it isn't too hard to foresee the demise of the Big East.
Sea Foam Green

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:00 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Man, Cincy would run RAGGED over the MAC.

I really can't explain how happy I am. I've been BEGGING for the Big Least to lose their Auto-Qualifier bid for as long as I can remember. Now, now the witch is dead!

I just keeping having flashbacks to the year BC, Rutgers and USF were #2 in the country at different points and the near disaster we averted with that title game (of course that disaster was avoided by OSU being sacrificed to LSU).

Me too. I attended UC ca. 1980, and there was NO football tradition- just people who noticed a game going on and filtered in. Basketball was played at a downtown arena, and students were too lazy/uninterested to get on the bus and go.

Football, especially, is such a fad there. Made me sick when they were in the Orange Bowl. No business being there.

UC is not going to get the $ needed to renovate the old, smallish on-campus stadium. And in fairness, they have an uphill battle vs. top athletic programs since they are in a pro city.

They'd dominate the MAC until their MAC recruits start playing, I'd suppose.

If they are heading to 4 super conferences of 16 schools, and assuming UC would need to fit into the ACC or the SEC at some point, who are their competitors for those spots? I guess there is one spot open now in the ACC (with ND kind of playing a conf sched?). 2 open in the SEC- with FL St and Clemson maybe moving from the ACC to the SEC? Plenty of spots in the ACC for UC, then- with only UConn as a real threat?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Spin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:18 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Man, Cincy would run RAGGED over the MAC.

We are talking about the same team that lost to unranked Toledo, right? I can't find them in the rankings anywhere either. Strange. I see NIU and Can't. But no Natty...

I do see them playing in the Belk Bowl. What the fuck is a Belk? 7 point faves over a 6-6 Duke, god damn powerhouse right there.

They'd be a strong third place in the West. If they came crawling back.
Spin

Unread postby fairvis » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:51 pm

The Catholic 7 (along with Xavier, Creighton, and Dayton/St. Louis) could make for a hell of a nice eastern b-ball conference. Back to its roots. Placing 6-8 out of 10 in the tourney every year wouldn't be all that bad.

But yeah... I'd be glad to see this happen so that we wouldn't see the travesty that the coast-to-coast Big East that was supposed to happen next year. And the MWC, MAC, and C-USA would take that 5th autobid each year, so there'd be a nice spreading around of the peanuts.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:04 am

I'm hearing its a done deal, all that's left to do is figure out exit fee's, dates of departure, and who gets to keep the Big East name, the Catholic 7 (which to me is a cooler name then the 'Big East')or the remaining 3 schools, of which only UConn is a founding member.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby neoleo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:43 am

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel is reporting Xavier & Butler will leave the A-10 and join the Catholic 7 in this new league.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... 7/related/

Man, the CSU homer in me would love to see CSU make a push for this league. There is some history with a lot of these teams from the old MCC, and CSU alum and former AD Lee Reed is the AD at Georgetown.

Pipe dream.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:54 am

neoleo wrote:Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel is reporting Xavier & Butler will leave the A-10 and join the Catholic 7 in this new league.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... 7/related/

Man, the CSU homer in me would love to see CSU make a push for this league. There is some history with a lot of these teams from the old MCC, and CSU alum and former AD Lee Reed is the AD at Georgetown.

Pipe dream.

If Xavier & Butler are joining then its only a matter of time before Dayton and Crieghton follow.
This would make one exciting conference.
No offense to CSU, but I doubt they could get anywhere near meeting the academic standards of this "Catholic 7 +"
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cease » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:44 am

If Dayton doesn't get in on this, I'ma be pissed.

Was a loooong time ago, but Dayton/ Marquette / DePaul / Notre Dame used to be the premier 4-way rivalry. Would love to see it return.

I like "Catholic 7" name, but haven't we learned enough to move far away from placing numbers in conference names ever again?
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby Spin » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Cease wrote:If Dayton doesn't get in on this, I'ma be pissed.

Was a loooong time ago, but Dayton/ Marquette / DePaul / Notre Dame used to be the premier 4-way rivalry. Would love to see it return.

I like "Catholic 7" name, but haven't we learned enough to move far away from placing numbers in conference names ever again?

Actually they're fighting for the use of the "Big East" name.
Spin

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:00 am

I cannot believe it hasn't been mentioned, but Maybe B1G would be interisted in bring aboard UConn? Poach a ACC school or maybe a Tennessee (which makes no sense being entrencehed in the South), R-Kansas (do you like being the 5th to 8th most notable team in the SEC each year?), or TCU (would you like long-term stability in a conference, and a better seat at the big boys table).

Please note that I have no clue about how the academics of these insitutions align with that of the B1G
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:16 pm

The B1G is not and will not be interested in any of those teams.

Right now UNC, GT, UVA, FSU (odd but there are real talks) and maybe Duke are in play. Longshots they would love are Texas or ND.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:29 pm

You think FSU is odd because of the Geography or possibly Academics? Just asking because I think it would be a great add, and I'm encouraged there are legitimate talks. They have, or still have the capability of having an elite football program. And giving the B1G teams a presence in Florida every other year could only help recruiting.

As far as competitiveness goes, it beats the likes of Rutgers and Maryland by a mile. I hope they can pull in a big fish.
Sea Foam Green

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Academics.

And talks doesn't mean anything is iminent. There have just been talks. FSU has also had talks with the BIG 12/10/whatever.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby Spin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Sea Foam Green wrote:You think FSU is odd because of the Geography or possibly Academics? Just asking because I think it would be a great add, and I'm encouraged there are legitimate talks. They have, or still have the capability of having an elite football program. And giving the B1G teams a presence in Florida every other year could only help recruiting.

Same can be said for one or more of the Texas schools. Urban would do the :nanner: if the B10 added FLA and TEX to its footprint.
Spin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Gawd you are an idiot. The Buckeyes are about to land two top 20 prospects from Texas this year already and have an outside shot at a third. Recruiting is less about footprints and more about relationships, relationships the OC has in Texas and Urban already has in Florida.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:17 am

Could make the case the "footprint" helps the rest of the conference more than it helps tOSU.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:46 pm

The Catholic conference will be cool (I'm guessing you add Butler, Creighton, Dayton, Xavier, and St. Louis and you're done) but as far as the Big Ten and other BCS conferences are concerned, I can't believe there's all of this carnage and all of these terrible fits like Maryland and Rutgers to cater to the outdated, weakening business model of cable TV bundling. In 10 years when internet TV is seamless and what we now know as cable is pretty much an a la carte service by the channel or even by the show (crushing the regional sports models of getting X amount for every cable subscriber regardless if they care about the sport/team), this will look even dumber.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Return to College Sports Arena