Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Out of Bounds: New TCF Column

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Out of Bounds: New TCF Column

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:22 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
fairvis wrote:Lars, I'm returning to Cleveland in a few weeks for Christmas after spending 6 months overseas. Where would you eat your first "Cleveland" meal after subsisting on British food for nearly half a year?

I'm actually going to be in Manchester Monday night.

Speaking of which, Lars, what should one eat when in her Magesty's United Kingdom? Besides beer that it, I've got that covered.

Indian food. The curries here are wonderful, and relatively inexpensive for a decent meal.

If you're staying near the city centre, EastZEast is a really nice place for a curry. Then again, you can always run down the Curry Mile (which is south of the university and city centre) and have all the choices in the world to go with. Head out for a drink at Lass O'Gowrie- a generally excellent guest ale selection.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Oh, and when you're really drunk, there's nothing quite like a kebab. Usually on freshly baked naan.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Lars,
Just how far back will Haslem set the Browns back if he pulls a Holmgren and decides to keep SHUR because he won a few games against teams that actually are worse than us?

I'm saying at least three years because SHUR will screw things up next year enough to get the boot, resulting in a new coach, who will want a new (Noticably Younger) QB.

I hate myself for thinking this, but OIC.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Lars, What could Neil Schon have possibly seen in Michaele Salahi? - pod2
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:18 pm

Lars,

What do you see as the destiny of our human civilization? I'm looking more from a societal standpoint, and a governing standpoint and am going to say we assume we do not blow ourselves to bits to the point of extinction. I leave the assumption of global population numbers up to you. Do you see civilization as it gets presented in sci-fi at times, or as a one world government with restrictive societal controls, or as us somehow sending exploratory groups to set up camp on another planet?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:34 pm

Lars,

The new Howie Mandel gimmick on NBC. You taking it all no matter what? Or does taking it all on that show simply provide a glimpse into the reason for the downfall of the American Way?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Govbarney » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:39 pm

Lars,

Whats the best way to prepare wild rabbit?
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:08 pm

pup wrote:Lars,

The new Howie Mandel gimmick on NBC. You taking it all no matter what? Or does taking it all on that show simply provide a glimpse into the reason for the downfall of the American Way?

Howie Mandel has a show that focuses on the breakdown of the nuclear family, ensured and accelerated by the New Deal and the Great Society, which meant well but grossly overreached?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:39 pm

pod2dawg wrote:Lars ,

Does anyone drink instant coffee by choice?

Thanks!-pod

"Choice" is the operative word here. When we'd go hunting in S. Ohio before the effing vet who owned 360 acres selfishly died at 88yrs young, we drank instant coffee "by choice". It was simply a caffeine delivery system that worked just as well as good stuff in kick starting the system.

I actually didn't mind it.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:04 pm

Govbarney wrote:Lars,

Whats the best way to prepare wild rabbit?

Jesus Christ..... You hit it over the head with a rock and throw it into a cooking pot. Done and done. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:05 pm

FUDU wrote:Lars,

What do you see as the destiny of our human civilization? I'm looking more from a societal standpoint, and a governing standpoint and am going to say we assume we do not blow ourselves to bits to the point of extinction. I leave the assumption of global population numbers up to you. Do you see civilization as it gets presented in sci-fi at times, or as a one world government with restrictive societal controls, or as us somehow sending exploratory groups to set up camp on another planet?

Blah fucking blah. Another FUDU question he only wants answered so he can point out the flaws in the answer he gets.

Go fuck yourself.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:12 am

You'd fall for the banana in the tailpipe gag wouldn't you...

FUDU

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:36 pm

FUDU wrote:Lars,

With the advance of world population and the ever-decreasing gap in communication barriers due to instant media, the only 2 eventualities are World Government or Death By World War.

Call it the United Countries of Earth if you will. And, really, the only way that ever gets established would be as a democracy, so fear not Isolationists.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby LarsHancock » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:04 am

fairvis wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:
fairvis wrote:Lars, I'm returning to Cleveland in a few weeks for Christmas after spending 6 months overseas. Where would you eat your first "Cleveland" meal after subsisting on British food for nearly half a year?

I'm actually going to be in Manchester Monday night.

Speaking of which, Lars, what should one eat when in her Magesty's United Kingdom? Besides beer that it, I've got that covered.

Indian food. The curries here are wonderful, and relatively inexpensive for a decent meal.

If you're staying near the city centre, EastZEast is a really nice place for a curry. Then again, you can always run down the Curry Mile (which is south of the university and city centre) and have all the choices in the world to go with. Head out for a drink at Lass O'Gowrie- a generally excellent guest ale selection.

This is really the only correct answer to that question. The Indian food there is off the charts excellent, and everything else is pretty much off the charts the other way.
LarsHancock

Favorite Player: Armagnac
Least Favorite Player: Rumple Minze

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:29 am

I don't know what everyone has against boar and meat pies.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:18 pm

Lars, Would it not make sense just to fit all Cavs with facemasks in the preseason? Thanks!-pod
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:37 pm

Lars,

In your opinion which 5 songs have withstood the test of time the best? Whether it be the lyrics, the message or musically. For the purpose of being practical let's keep it to music from the 20th and 21st centuries only.

FUDU

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Due to the circumstances surrounding the column will you take a shot at this question CDT?

FUDU

Unread postby HoodooMan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:31 pm

If you keep flooding this thread with new questions everyday, he'll have no choice but to restart the column.

So it's in your hands now, donny.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby justmebd » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:44 pm

I'll take over the column and my promise to you is I will call someone an asshole every week.

Or is that setting my sights too low?
justmebd

Unread postby LarsHancock » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:43 pm

justmebd wrote:I'll take over the column and my promise to you is I will call someone an asshole every week.

If you only call one person a pejorative only as harsh as "asshole" you're going to be too politically correct.

Now if you're talking as answers to the questions, then that could be interesting. Take this for example:

justmebd, In your opinion which 5 songs have withstood the test of time the best? Whether it be the lyrics, the message or musically. For the purpose of being practical let's keep it to music from the 20th and 21st centuries only.
What sort of asshole are you that you need to limit good music to the last 100 years or so? Is Bethoven's 5th not so completely revolutionary of a piece that we can clearly ascribe it to be one of the all-time greatest pieces of music that has and clearly will stand the test of time? Was not the genius there far greater than anything Zeppelin or the Stones has ever produced?

And what sort of asshole needs to rank music? Your question is like using the BCS to determine a national champion, and arbitrarily excluding one of the two undefeated teams from the process for... well, no discernable moral reason. Except that music can't compete head to head on a field, and it really doesn't matter if Stairway to Heaven is a better or worse song than Cocaine. Because it's a worse song, and yet it has a chance of making the top five "test of time" list.

So if you're doing "test of time" I'd apply the Genghis Khan test. This test measures a man's greatness by the biological test, meaning hw many of his progeny survive to breed another day. Approximately .5% of the world's population - 16 million people - are genetically linked directly to Khan. That's fucking incredible. So in raking musical greatness, I would rank the songs whose children survive today, via emulation of style or content. That ranking is clearly and unarguably as follows:

1) Robert Johnson, Cross Road Blues. You take any living rock band, or any great rock band of all time, and you trace back their influences, and the people their influences were influenced by... and you get the Genghis Khan of Rock, Robert Johnson. Not a single relevant band ever was not in some way influenced by this man, and this is his hallmark offering. And the guitar work in it is sick, even today.

2) Rapper's Delight, The Sugar Hill Gang. This song didn't invent rap, but it did give birth to hip-hop and popularize the genre. Spew whatever ignorance you want about the genre, all of which is wrong by the way, you cannot deny the impact hip hop has had on culture globally. And is it still relevant today? Hotel, motel, Holiday Inn (say what?)... every person in the world knows that lyric.

3) Rock Around the Clock, Bill Haley and the Comets. The first rock and roll song ever. I think that turned out pretty well. Still a fun song too.

4) No Fun, The Stooges. The Stooges ushered in all music that would become punk, grunge, alt rock, and/or hard rock (which would eventually become metal). No Fun was the most influential of their earliest work.

5) Hound Dog, Big Mama Thornton. No, not Elvis, Big Mama Thornton. He got that from her, and this song helped him become an icon. Every other pop icon can throw back to Elvis, and his influence fusing rock and blues is still felt today. Big Mama Thornton is Elvis' mama, therefore she gets the Khan points, not him.

LarsHancock

Favorite Player: Armagnac
Least Favorite Player: Rumple Minze

Unread postby justmebd » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:41 pm

LarsHancock wrote:
justmebd wrote:I'll take over the column and my promise to you is I will call someone an asshole every week.

If you only call one person a pejorative only as harsh as "asshole" you're going to be too politically correct.

Now if you're talking as answers to the questions, then that could be interesting. Take this for example:

justmebd, In your opinion which 5 songs have withstood the test of time the best? Whether it be the lyrics, the message or musically. For the purpose of being practical let's keep it to music from the 20th and 21st centuries only.
What sort of asshole are you that you need to limit good music to the last 100 years or so? Is Bethoven's 5th not so completely revolutionary of a piece that we can clearly ascribe it to be one of the all-time greatest pieces of music that has and clearly will stand the test of time? Was not the genius there far greater than anything Zeppelin or the Stones has ever produced?

And what sort of asshole needs to rank music? Your question is like using the BCS to determine a national champion, and arbitrarily excluding one of the two undefeated teams from the process for... well, no discernable moral reason. Except that music can't compete head to head on a field, and it really doesn't matter if Stairway to Heaven is a better or worse song than Cocaine. Because it's a worse song, and yet it has a chance of making the top five "test of time" list.

So if you're doing "test of time" I'd apply the Genghis Khan test. This test measures a man's greatness by the biological test, meaning hw many of his progeny survive to breed another day. Approximately .5% of the world's population - 16 million people - are genetically linked directly to Khan. That's fucking incredible. So in raking musical greatness, I would rank the songs whose children survive today, via emulation of style or content. That ranking is clearly and unarguably as follows:

1) Robert Johnson, Cross Road Blues. You take any living rock band, or any great rock band of all time, and you trace back their influences, and the people their influences were influenced by... and you get the Genghis Khan of Rock, Robert Johnson. Not a single relevant band ever was not in some way influenced by this man, and this is his hallmark offering. And the guitar work in it is sick, even today.

2) Rapper's Delight, The Sugar Hill Gang. This song didn't invent rap, but it did give birth to hip-hop and popularize the genre. Spew whatever ignorance you want about the genre, all of which is wrong by the way, you cannot deny the impact hip hop has had on culture globally. And is it still relevant today? Hotel, motel, Holiday Inn (say what?)... every person in the world knows that lyric.

3) Rock Around the Clock, Bill Haley and the Comets. The first rock and roll song ever. I think that turned out pretty well. Still a fun song too.

4) No Fun, The Stooges. The Stooges ushered in all music that would become punk, grunge, alt rock, and/or hard rock (which would eventually become metal). No Fun was the most influential of their earliest work.

5) Hound Dog, Big Mama Thornton. No, not Elvis, Big Mama Thornton. He got that from her, and this song helped him become an icon. Every other pop icon can throw back to Elvis, and his influence fusing rock and blues is still felt today. Big Mama Thornton is Elvis' mama, therefore she gets the Khan points, not him.

Bravo, Sir!!
I could channel my inner Al Swearengen. Believe me, I do it at work all the time at every old cuntfuck who wanders in and decides shopping for alcohol is either:
A. TOO HARD!!!
B. Prohibition still is in effect, so they make sure to tell me this booze is not for them -- like I give a flying fuck.
justmebd

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:01 pm

If the booze is not for them, what are they doing in there?
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby justmebd » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:11 pm

motherscratcher wrote:If the booze is not for them, what are they doing in there?

It's always "for someone else. I CERTAINLY don't drink."

I actually told one ignorant old lady, "You know, Prohibition ended almost 80 years ago. No one really cares if you're buying gin."

She gave me a dirty look and I just smiled at her.

I HATE, HATE, HATE senior citizens, or as I like to call them, Piece of Shit Civil War Veterans who should die and stop breathing my air.

It's the absolute commitment on their part to be WILLINGLY clueless and difficult that makes me want to just stick my foot out and make them trip over their own walkers.
justmebd

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:38 pm

Harry Chapin`s Cats in the Cradle fits nicely in the top spot IMO.

Thanks for your efforts Lars, I' m slightly better for it.

FUDU

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL