Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Reds and Indians deep in Choo trade talks

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Re: Reds and Indians deep in Choo trade talks

Unread postby andrew6586 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:43 pm

@TonyIPI

Indians save on Choo ($7.9M), Sipp ($1M). Spend $4.5M cash, Stubbs ($2.9M) & Albers ($1.7M). Trade has basically zero sum effect on payroll.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:44 pm

dazindiansfanuk wrote:
Dnthateonthepronk wrote:It does say Stubbs is Arb eligible, wonder what the number for him is going to be.

MLBTR has him estimated at $2.9m, compared to $7.9m for Choo.

So, that's $5m more to throw at Swisher?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/p ... -2013.html

Holy shit, we are sending the Reds money
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:46 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:
andrew6586 wrote:So glad to have Jack Bauer. He will strike guys out by 10 and kill some terrorists by 11.

His daughter's pretty hot, too.

:cheers:
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:50 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:
dazindiansfanuk wrote:Done Deal

Indians get: Trevor Bauer, Drew Stubbs, Matt Albers, Bryan Shaw
D Backs get: Didi Gregorius, Tony Sipp, Lars Anderson
Reds get: Shin Soo Choo, Jason Donald.

If Bauer's arm doesn't fall off (a very distinct possibility assuming he's now an Indian), this is a steal for Cleveland. A front of the rotation stud plus two interesting relievers and (if nothing else) a warm outfield body for one year of Choo (who's gone anyway) and crap (Anderson and Sipp). And Donald, too. He's not crap, but he's close.

Shapiro and Antonetti, I won't admit this much, but on this deal at least, I :salute: you.

I like Shaw for Sipp. He has had a good start to his career. Really helped me down the stretch in 2011 on my fantasy dynasty team. He was a great SP/RP flex option.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Prosecutor » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:32 am

What's not to like? One year of Choo for a young starter with FOR potential, an outfielder with speed and range, and a couple of relievers. The acquisition of Aviles left Donald without a role, not that a guy who hit .202 at age 27 had a role anyway. We don't need Sipp with the acquisition of Albers, and there's also Hagadone pitching well in winter ball. And even if Lars Anderson had a chance of making the team, it's gone now with the signing of Reynolds.

So it looks like we got a lot for one year of Choo and three guys we have absolutely no use for.

Sure, Bauer is a risk, but that's what teams like the Indians have to do to get quality starting pitching. At least this time they didn't give up Drew Pomeranz.

I can't believe Arizona got fair value. Either they see something in Gregorius that nobody else does, or they know something about Bauer that we don't. Like maybe the Phillies knew something about Jason Knapp that we didn't.

It looks like everybody got what they wanted. I don't know about the Reds, though, as they'll only have Choo for one year. The other two teams each got young talent with upside at positions of dire need. The Reds got a one-year stopgap in Choo and a fringe major leaguer in Donald.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:36 am

This is the best first impression I've had of an Indians move in a long time. Quite a haul for 1 year of Choo, a few terrible players, and $3.5 million (Larry? Is that you?!). Bauer is a potential ace not far from being major league ready. Stubbs is the right handed hitter the Indians have sorely needed, and I can see him having a big bounceback in a new setting. PLUS 2 guys for the pen! Nicely done Shaponetti and Dolan.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby ChoccoIndians » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:53 am

I really like this trade. Sad to see Choo go, but the writing was on the wall, he wasn't coming back in 2014.

Get some good potential for him and I think we are showing for the first time in a few years some actual well laid plans to be contenders again.
Detroit, we are coming for the central division in 2014!!!
ChoccoIndians

Favorite Player: T Jack Bauer
Least Favorite Player: A-Rod

Unread postby Kingpin74 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:27 am

Credit where credit is due, seems like a solid return for a guy bolting in a year. But now can we please stop spending short term money on the Reynoldses and Swishers of the world? Put that extra cash into a long term offer to Kipnis or something.
"Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do...win the whole, f***in', thing."- Jake Taylor
Kingpin74

Favorite Player: Mario Lemieux
Least Favorite Player: Dwight Howard

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:09 am

Brilliant return! Bauer is going to be a stud and isn't 22 until next month.
Bryan Shaw ain't exactly junk either. A young reliever who has had 2 good first seasons in the Majors (walks are a bit high though) and Albers had a good season in 2012.

Well done Antonetti!
Now work some magic with A-Cab
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:15 am

Not trying to sound too greedy in light of such a great trade, but I hope this doesn't make it less likely that Cabrera is dealt, too. He's still by far our best trading chip, and if we were able to essentially land Bauer for Choo (when it was widely assumed that it would take Cabrera to get Bauer instead), then we've got a chance yet to really add maybe two more impact pieces. Great move, but they still need to do some work.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:48 am

So, Stubbs clearly plays center. He's the best in baseball there. Brantley in left. If they don't land Swisher, who is playing right field? Or does this mean they're pretty convinced they're going to land Swisher?
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:09 am

Dellucci TailGator wrote:So, Stubbs clearly plays center. He's the best in baseball there. Brantley in left. If they don't land Swisher, who is playing right field? Or does this mean they're pretty convinced they're going to land Swisher?

I think it means they're gonna go with the full court press to get Swisher or one of the fall back options, like a Cody Ross type guy.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:14 am

Ummmm.

:thumb up: :salute: :woot: :clap: (inlove)

Since my keyboard won't allow to type positive things about Shaponetti, emoticons will have the carry the torch for my opinion.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:48 am

The addition of the BP arms I hope means C. Perez is also on the block. Trading Droobs and Perez could land us a nice haul to pair along with the "Lindor Wave" plus Chiz, Kip, Brant and Santana.

They still need a 1B (for next year), 2 more SP studs and 2 corner guys. Stubbs is your 4th OF, nothing more.

So we are at least 5 major pieces away from contending. But we have two big chips to trade.

---

And I'm all for the one year deals as long as they are reasonable, but I'm in the re-sign Justin, Kip, Pestano camp.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:02 am

Prosecutor wrote:I can't believe Arizona got fair value. Either they see something in Gregorius that nobody else does, or they know something about Bauer that we don't. Like maybe the Phillies knew something about Jason Knapp that we didn't.

I read a quote that AZ's GM likens Gregorius to a young Derek Jeter. I think he believes that he snowed us all by getting this kid. Time will tell.

Dealing Sipp and cutting Raffy Perez loose has made our once strong lefty bullpen situation much less so. I'm assuming that the organization believes that Hagadone is ready to take one of those slots, as long as he stops punching walls.

What other southpaws do we have for the pen this year? Barnes? Huff?

Seems as if many folks think Cleveland made out well in this deal, although they do mention that Bauer's personality collided with folks in Arizona.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/win-now-ed ... 18501.html

...And so Antonetti conceived a deal around Bauer, the former UCLA star who stormed through the minor leagues, arrived in Arizona to great fanfare and found himself alienated by teammates and management because of what some would call quirkiness and others stubbornness. Certainly Bauer is unique, from his mega-long toss to his crow-hop warm-up pitches. He is also a pitching savant, eager to learn everything about the game's mechanics and perfect his craft while doing so. Bauer pitched hurt last year, was mediocre in the big leagues, beefed with Montero and soon landed in the Diamondbacks' doghouse, which, admittedly, has included Upton, no slouch himself.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:09 am

Wow. There are now 12 straight posts by 8?(too lazy to go back and count) different posters with positive reaction to this front office...........and even one by Pup.

:hide: The Apocalypse is coming.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:14 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:Wow. There are now 12 straight posts by 8?(too lazy to go back and count) different posters with positive reaction to this front office...........and even one by Pup.

:hide: The Apocalypse is coming.

I think our front office is learning. Maybe.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:14 am

bookelly wrote:They still need a 1B (for next year), 2 more SP studs and 2 corner guys. Stubbs is your 4th OF, nothing more.

So we are at least 5 major pieces away from contending. But we have two big chips to trade.

Boo, if they truly can get 2 more SP studs, the rest would just be gravy. I'd be fine with piecemealing journeymen in the lineup as needed, to an extent.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:23 am

WiscTribeFan wrote:I read a quote that AZ's GM likens Gregorius to a young Derek Jeter. I think he believes that he snowed us all by getting this kid. Time will tell.

Is it an ‘I’m the smartest person in the room’ thing? Because giving up a pitcher w/6yrs of control who everyone agrees is a FOR guy… he’s the one who all eyes will turn to once the games begin.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:37 am

Regarding Bauer's mechanics and warmup, Kyle Boddy of Driveline Baseball wrote this for The Hardball Times: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/blog_ ... eft-alone/

Boddy owns Driveline Mechanics Research in Seattle, WA and really knows his shit.

Best part in the entire article for me:

His deceleration pattern is extremely efficient: He rotates his throwing shoulder forward into the target significantly farther than most pitchers. This pattern allows force to be applied to the baseball in increasingly straighter lines, which is naturally more efficient and less injurious on the elbow and shoulder.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby volunteerbrownie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:39 am

I guess I break the streak of positive posters. Maybe it's the Clevelander in me, but I just get visions of Jason Knapp breaking down with significant arm injuries when I think about Bauer. As for Stubbs, I get voices in my head that are repeatedly saying "a SWING and a miss". I'm just not buying it right now.
Last edited by volunteerbrownie on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volunteerbrownie

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:45 am

All I'll say is that I really hope Bauer pans out. After Kipnis, Santana and LaPorta all failing to be playas, I'm losing my ability to be excited about deals like this.

On paper, looks great. Now we just need it to pan out.
bac5665

Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:25 pm

The Reds continue to stockpile ex-Indians by signing Jack Hannahan today.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:28 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Regarding Bauer's mechanics and warmup, Kyle Boddy of Driveline Baseball wrote this for The Hardball Times: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/blog_ ... eft-alone/

Boddy owns Driveline Mechanics Research in Seattle, WA and really knows his shit.

Best part in the entire article for me:

His deceleration pattern is extremely efficient: He rotates his throwing shoulder forward into the target significantly farther than most pitchers. This pattern allows force to be applied to the baseball in increasingly straighter lines, which is naturally more efficient and less injurious on the elbow and shoulder.

Holy shit! Someone who "gets it".

Especially the Strasburg part. Dude is the picture child for arm injuries. Not really sure what is so difficult about pitching mechanics, but these guys sure like to alter them. The proper mechanics have been around for years, but everyone wants to be smarter than the previous guy, so they tinker. Deceleration is such a simple concept, yet you still have tons of guys "stopping" instead of decelerating. I always thought Cliff Lee has the best deceleration in the game.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby onlyindreams » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:05 pm

bac5665 wrote:All I'll say is that I really hope Bauer pans out. After Kipnis, Santana and LaPorta all failing to be playas, I'm losing my ability to be excited about deals like this.

Why are you lumping Kipnis and Santana in with LaPorta? The former two are pretty solid players. They have flaws but they're probably going to get better.
onlyindreams

Favorite Player: Browns Backup QB
Least Favorite Player: Browns Starting QB

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:03 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote: Stubbs is the right handed hitter the Indians have sorely needed

He struggles to hit his weight. He's a stiff at the dish.

This was Choo for Bauer, which is fine.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:11 pm

He's got a pretty severe split. Hits LHP decently well. Struggles Horrendously against Righties though.

Rumored to be dating Samantha Steele of ESPN too.

So there's that.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:22 pm

onlyindreams wrote:
bac5665 wrote:All I'll say is that I really hope Bauer pans out. After Kipnis, Santana and LaPorta all failing to be playas, I'm losing my ability to be excited about deals like this.

Why are you lumping Kipnis and Santana in with LaPorta? The former two are pretty solid players. They have flaws but they're probably going to get better.

Because Kipnis and Santana, like LaPorta, were supposed to be elite. Not just solid. None of them has lived up to expectations. LaPorta, is, obviously, the biggest disappointment, but his horrific failure doesn't erase Kipnis and Santana's smaller failure.
bac5665

Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Sea Foam Green wrote:He's got a pretty severe split. Hits LHP decently well. Struggles Horrendously against Righties though.

So there's that.

Didn't she just become engaged to Christian Ponder of the Vikings? Or does she have a different beau for each sport? :dingle:
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby jerryroche » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Besides shaking up last season's meh lineup, Shaponetti gets three stars for simply doing something. It shows even peripheral fans that at least the effort is being made to improve the team. That, quite frankly, hasn't been evident at any time since the trade for Ubaldo. It seems like yesterday, but that was a whole year-and-a-half ago.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:58 pm

volunteerbrownie wrote:I guess I break the streak of positive posters. Maybe it's the Clevelander in me, but I just get visions of Jason Knapp breaking down with significant arm injuries when I think about Bauer. As for Stubbs, I get voices in my head that are repeatedly saying "a SWING and a miss". I'm just not buying it right now.

But the thing is we only lost Choo, who has just become a semi-productive major leaguer past his prime, who won't be worth his new salary, so it's a no risk situation with a lot of upside. I still hate just about everything about this team, but this wasn't a bad move.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:
Sea Foam Green wrote:He's got a pretty severe split. Hits LHP decently well. Struggles Horrendously against Righties though.

So there's that.

Didn't she just become engaged to Christian Ponder of the Vikings? Or does she have a different beau for each sport? :dingle:

Honestly, had no idea. I live down in Cincy and heard it on the radio a while back.

However, I checked Wikipedia, and you are correct, so disregard. Serves me right for listening to anything those loudmouths have to say.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Sea Foam Green wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:

So there's that.

Honestly, had no idea. I live down in Cincy and heard it on the radio a while back.

However, I checked Wikipedia, and you are correct, so disregard. Serves me right for listening to anything those loudmouths have to say.

I don't even know why I know this, but I'm pretty sure Ponder and Steele just started dating recently (like after the NFL season started). So even though they're engaged now, it's very possible she was with Stubbs during the baseball season.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Way tooo many horny dudes keeping tabs on whose dating Samantha Steele (who is this?) in this thread.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:12 pm

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:45 pm

Stubbs has a fair amount of value. He's three seasons removed from being four wins above replacement player and was 2.9 WAR in 2011. There's no doubt that he has his shortcomings as a player, low average and high strikeouts, but he has a very nice blend of speed and defense that we haven't had in quite a while. He's got moderate power and should hit 15-20 HR if he gets a full season worth of at bats. His .821 OPS against LHP is pretty nice to have and I wonder if the Indians are looking at him as a platoon player with a free agent on the market who hits RHP.

Ryan Sweeney fits the mold. A pretty decent defensive OF with a .293/.347/.402/.749 split against RHP (a pathetic .225/.298/.281/.579 v. LHP). Scott Podsednik could be another one with a .282/.342/.389/.731 split v. RHP.

I know we hate platoons around here, but if we can utilize speed, defense, occasional pop, and piecemeal a 1.5-2 win OFer with Stubbs and another guy, that's not a bad thing.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:16 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:I read a quote that AZ's GM likens Gregorius to a young Derek Jeter. I think he believes that he snowed us all by getting this kid. Time will tell.

While that may be true and he may be proven correct in the long run, you need to have a better idea of market value than that.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:17 pm

pup wrote:Image

Holy crap that's Bauer? This trade gets better by the minute.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:21 pm

It moved.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:42 pm

Unnecessarily fake tits.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:46 pm

bac5665 wrote:
onlyindreams wrote:

Because Kipnis and Santana, like LaPorta, were supposed to be elite. Not just solid. None of them has lived up to expectations. LaPorta, is, obviously, the biggest disappointment, but his horrific failure doesn't erase Kipnis and Santana's smaller failure.

After one full season in the bigs we can deem Kipnis a failure.

Santana is no scrub either. But yes, he is a failure after two seasons.

:bunny:
YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

Unread postby volunteerbrownie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:18 pm

FWIW, just watched Mitch Williams on the MLB Network wear out Bauer for Bauer's unwillingness to accept coaching and his poor mechanics.

Now, Mitch was a little stubborn in his day as well, but this trade isn't as much of a homerun as many are making it out to be. IF Bauer is willing to make changes for the better, and that's a BIG IF the more and more I hear about him, he could be a gamechanger. But, there appears to be legitimate questions about make-up and coachability
volunteerbrownie

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:54 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Unnecessarily fake tits.

Oxymoron. ;-) ;) :wink:
Adverb Harry

Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby volunteerbrownie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:58 pm

Not THE Samantha Steele from ESPN. That's a Samantha Steele who's a coed from Michigan State.

Doesn't matter to me... BOTH are smoking hot!
volunteerbrownie

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:16 pm

I like this trade?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:26 pm

bac5665 wrote:
onlyindreams wrote:

Have you considered the possibility that the actual problem might just be your expectations?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Ewww man hands.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby smalls1129 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:03 pm

volunteerbrownie wrote:FWIW, just watched Mitch Williams on the MLB Network wear out Bauer for Bauer's unwillingness to accept coaching and his poor mechanics.

Now, Mitch was a little stubborn in his day as well, but this trade isn't as much of a homerun as many are making it out to be. IF Bauer is willing to make changes for the better, and that's a BIG IF the more and more I hear about him, he could be a gamechanger. But, there appears to be legitimate questions about make-up and coachability

I have read and listened to comments like this all day but I have to say after reading up on why he doesn't seem to want to change I can't blame him. Look in the last 20 years MLB pitching coaches and organizations have limited throwing on the side and have enacted all sort of pitch count limits allegedly to keep pitchers from getting hurt. And guess what, it hasn't helped at all. If you read a bit about his training regiment you'll see that he is the first of a whole wave of young pitchers who are trying a different approach. All that I know is pitchers used to by able to pitch double headers without getting injured and it seems the more they are babied the more susceptible they've come to arm troubles. Just a wild guess but I would say that near 50% of active pitchers have had TJ surgery. Obviously something is not working when surgery is the norm rather than exception. Oh by the way CA came out today and said they're not going to mess with his pregame routine, so maybe it won't matter how hard headed he is on the subject.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chances two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see his me."
smalls1129

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Squire James

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:42 pm

Regarding Kyle Boddy, I will admit not reading up on his pitching stuff, but that's because he's a Dr. Chris Yeager disciple on the hitting side, and I've pointed out the flaws in Yeager's stuff many times on other sites. I have a hard time reading what he has to say about pitching if thinks Yeager's stuff is top-notch, but who knows maybe he's got a better handle on the pitching side. Nice guy, just needs to get rid of his Yeager DVDs.

I've been looking at some Drew Stubbs home runs and mechanics are his problem. I don't know his history other than he is a freakishly good athlete considering he can rip off stolen bases on a 6'4" frame. So far what I am seeing in Stubbs swing is that he seems to be taking the bottom hand down to the ball. There just isn't time in a major league batters box to line up a pitch and swing your arms as fast as you can. Most of the home runs are hit way out in front, which means his timing window has to be absolutely perfect to jack one. As I review the homers on MLB, several of them are line drives that barely clear the fence. So far very few towering Ryan Braun type homers that you typically see in most power hitters.

A change of scenery might help a little so we'll see. His swing reminds me of what I see a lot of guys teaching down at the batting cages. Hands to the ball moving the arms as fast as possible. I'll see if I can make a clip later.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:51 pm

volunteerbrownie wrote:FWIW, just watched Mitch Williams on the MLB Network wear out Bauer for Bauer's unwillingness to accept coaching and his poor mechanics.

Isn't this why they got such perceived quality in the first place?

Cause if Bauer had perfect mechanics, make-up and attitude to go along with the stuff, he wouldn't be going anywhere.

The Tribe needs some talent. Rolling the dice with a loose cannon is an OK gamble im my book. Hell, it's a longshot to get a prospect to blossom, him being kind of a dick is minor.

And if you can PLAY you can PLAY. If he's a true playa he won't need the coaching.
leadpipe
The Reverend

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB