Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Would You? How about this one?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Would You? How about this one?

Unread postby pup » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:59 pm

Chris Perez for Dan Haren?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Would You?

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:39 pm

We'd have to be either A. Wearing a mask or B. Giving them something else.

Couldn't do it fast enough.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:43 am

leadpipe wrote:We'd have to be either A. Wearing a mask or B. Giving them something else.

Couldn't do it fast enough.

They (Angels) were doing it for Marmol.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby pup » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:46 am

Since they declined his option...I am guessing it had a chance.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:22 am

No. I like the idea of Haren, but he's a one-year rental. I think we could take a shot on getting a couple of prospects for Perez. I know Haren's a proven Major League pitcher, but he doesn't help us to the playoffs this year. Theoretically, we could acquire Haren to trade him at the deadline and hope to turn it into Perez for a couple of prospects, but who knows if that would work. Not to mention, Haren supposedly has 12 teams on a no-trade list. Wouldn't shock me if we were one of them.

Only way I'd do it is if we were getting Peter Bourjos back for something. We've got time to see what he develops into. Was worth almost 5 wins in 2011 between his offense and his defense. Had 49 extra base hits and stole 22 bags. Has 19 career assists from CF.

Clearly overshadowed by Trout this season, but I'd love to take a flier on him. If the Angels are willing to move him in the deal, I'd be willing to move Perez for rental Haren.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:27 am

I would if we were a starter away from contention, he was more than a year rental, or if we had more time to see what kind of a market would develop for Perez, so that way if we didnt like what teams would give up for him, we could take a flier on Haren hoping he would bring in the value.

But its a moot point now since he is free agent now. Hey now we can just go sign him and give him money....... :lmfao:
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:22 am

A closers value is capped at this point.

If Dan Haren came here and pitched to his standards, he'd be more valuable then Chris Perez is now, by a pretty big margin.

That's why it would be a head scratcher to me that they could pull that deal now.

Although, maybe Haren lost his right arm in a combine accident, and they are aware of how the Tribe apparently didn't bother with checking out Ubaldo....
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:03 pm

leadpipe wrote:A closers value is capped at this point.

If Dan Haren came here and pitched to his standards, he'd be more valuable then Chris Perez is now, by a pretty big margin.

That's why it would be a head scratcher to me that they could pull that deal now.

Although, maybe Haren lost his right arm in a combine accident, and they are aware of how the Tribe apparently didn't bother with checking out Ubaldo....

Get a one-year rental when you're going to lose 90 games or get two or three lottery tickets?

Give me the latter.

If we were anywhere near contention, I'd take Haren.

Again, this is probably all a moot point because we're probably on his no-trade list.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:17 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
leadpipe wrote:A closers value is capped at this point.

Get a one-year rental when you're going to lose 90 games or get two or three lottery tickets?

Give me the latter.

If we were anywhere near contention, I'd take Haren.

Again, this is probably all a moot point because we're probably on his no-trade list.

I'd rather wait the year, and get better lottery tickets.

Again, I think it's worth the gamble because teams are done giving you prizes for closers.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:34 pm

leadpipe wrote:Again, I think it's worth the gamble because teams are done giving you prizes for closers.

Agree on closers. One of most volatile positions in all of sports.

Haren's a free agent now anyway, so it's irrelevant.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:36 pm

The Cubs are the one that pulled out in the very late stages, after Marmol gave his OK to the deal. I'm wondering if they didn't like something they saw in the medical reports about Haren's back. It's not like Epstein to pass on a live arm that they could flip for something else come the trading deadline. Marmol wasn't going to be that guy since he's got major control issues.

Anyone looking at him as a FA will be doing an awful lot of poking and prodding of his back to see if it will hold up to a 3 year $30M type deal...
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Would You? How about this one?

Unread postby pup » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:29 pm

Asdrubal for Justin Upton?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:56 pm

pup wrote:Asdrubal for Justin Upton?

I'd have to say yes. Upton's numbers are pretty legit. The bump he gets for being in a hitter-happy environment like Chase Field is somewhat negated by playing 1/3 of his road games in SF/SD/LA and facing a lot of good pitching.

Right handed bat with some power who can steal you 20 bases and solves a corner OF question. Not sure we can pass.

I like Asdrubal, but Upton's definitely a better player.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:17 pm

BTW, we are on Upton's no-trade list, so, again, like Haren, probably a moot point.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:34 pm

We are off the list now. There are 4 new teams.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:40 pm

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:We are off the list now. There are 4 new teams.

From 4 hrs ago:

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS
there is much buzz about justin upton. execs think this time he really will be dealt. on no-trade list: nyy, bos, cle, cubs
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:28 pm

I cant post a link becuase im on my phone bit go tobmlbtraderumors.com. The Dbacks beat writer tweets its 4 new teams and the Dbacks gm Towers confirms it.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:08 am

Dnthateonthepronk wrote:I cant post a link becuase im on my phone bit go tobmlbtraderumors.com. The Dbacks beat writer tweets its 4 new teams and the Dbacks gm Towers confirms it.

Well, alright then.

Towers said Upton's no-trade list includes four new teams from last season. Last year it was Yankees, Red Sox, Indians and Cubs.

That sounds like it's up to eight teams. I don't think that's the intent, though. Might be four new teams.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:58 am

Yeah i read it as being 4 new teams. The wording is kind of tricky.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:13 am

I would absolutely trade Asdrubal for Justin Upton. I love Upton. Love. I mean, I would make sweet sweet love to the idea of Justin Upton in a Tribe uniform.

He is, however, under contract for 3 more years. 9 mil next year and 14 mil each of the next 2. Seems like that wouldn't really be how this team does it's bidnis.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:49 am

We need pitching. If we are going to deal A-Cab, we need to get young pitching in return, someone at the major league level, like a Lance Lynn.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:59 pm

Seems there's a chance our enemies to the north may be swooping in to capitalize yet again:

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm
The rumor of a Justin Upton deal to Det in a package that included Castellanos, A.Garcia & Smyly definitely makes sense if Dbacks add piece
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:22 pm

The Reds think they are at the edge of a title. They need a LF, or a CF, and a leadoff hitter, and they need to figure out if Aroldis Chapman is a starter like he was when they signed him 3 yrs ago. He's going into yr 4 of 6.

I know Choo has really looked great over the yrs vs. Cincinnati. Is there a minor league/major league package that would appear viable to the Indians for Choo and Perez? Perez would allow their starting staff to go Cueto/Latos/Chapman/Bailey/Arroyo- wow. Could Choo lead off for them?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:18 pm

Didn't Cincy supposedly have interest in Choo at the trading deadline? If so, you'd have to assume the interest is still there. The problem is, regardless of potential destinations, you have to think Choo's value is a little diminished from what it was then. The Indians missed a big opportunity when they didn't unload him at the deadline. If a good enough offer never materialized, well, that's one thing. Personally, though, I tend to think they were too afraid of the potential backlash trading him would cause and were hoping they'd somehow sneak back into the race (all logic and reason be damned). We'll likely never know the full story, of course, but it was a huge mistake if there were indeed good offers for Choo left on the table.

So, now any trading partner gets a year of control, not a year and a half. There's a hit in his value. If they hang on and deal him even one day after the season starts, his value takes an even more severe hit because his new team wouldn't be eligible to draft pick compensation per the new CBA, making teams even less likely to part with top propects when they won't get comped for his free agency. And this team is delusional if they are actually planning on holding onto him at least to start the season. Good manager or not, we're going nowhere next year. Trade him now while there's still value there...it's gone down since July and will only continue to do so.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:33 am

googleeph2 wrote:The Reds think they are at the edge of a title. They need a LF, or a CF, and a leadoff hitter, and they need to figure out if Aroldis Chapman is a starter like he was when they signed him 3 yrs ago. He's going into yr 4 of 6.

I know Choo has really looked great over the yrs vs. Cincinnati. Is there a minor league/major league package that would appear viable to the Indians for Choo and Perez? Perez would allow their starting staff to go Cueto/Latos/Chapman/Bailey/Arroyo- wow. Could Choo lead off for them?

I remember hearing a lot about some Cingrani kid, but I think he was a reliever either in college or in the minors who looked solid then just took off this year. He might be the pitcher with the most upside but is risky.

Also just thinking outside the box, what about Choo, Santanna, Perez for Cingranni, Mesoraco, Hamilton, and Stephenson.

I would prefer to deal off each piece seperately to get more, but for some reason if Cincy would part with Hamilton in this deal, Arizona needs a SS so maybe a deal involving Trevor Bauer. Maybe they would go for a blue chipper even if he is possibly a few years away or they could use him to flip him to Texas to get either Andrus or Profar in their own deal.

I know, put on my pajamas, Im dreaming.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:49 pm

you guys should click on the link in Nino's article about Cabrera and the Cardinals, and read the user comments. Its interesting to see what they think of Asdrubal, he is like Derek Jeter to them, most seem to be salivating.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:09 pm

Then let's make their wildest dreams come true and do this thing. As an Indians' fan, I hate saying it, but for God's sake, this team is truly fooling itself if it has any illusions of contending this year or even the next. It needs a talent infusion in the worst way. Let's quit slapping band-aids on the problem and calling it a cure. The truth be told, I'd be more excited about next year if we were rebuilding...at least it would give us something to look forward to more than another sub .500 team with nothing on the horizon.

If they want him and are willing to pay, do it before they find alternatives.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:10 am

Billy Hamilton is untouchable, IMO. It would be like the Tribe unloading Lindor.
googleeph2

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:08 pm

googleeph2 wrote:Billy Hamilton is untouchable, IMO. It would be like the Tribe unloading Lindor.

I thought the same thing. Would absolutely love to have him, but we'd pretty much use up our major trade chips for something that doesn't fit one of our most pressing needs (starting pitching, right-handed power), too.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:36 pm

I'd like Al to weigh in on this, but I think you guys might be overvaluing Billy Hamilton.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good prospect and obviously a good base stealer. And that is valuable to a degree. But I'm not sure he is a top flight prospect as much as an interesting anomoly. ANd I absolutely would NOT trade fransisco Lindor for him.

Lindor is much more valuable IMO.

Lindor is an incredible prospect right now at the most valuable position on the field. Hamilton is a fast guy who can get on base and AFAIK a pretty average outfileder.

Would you rather have potential Ozzie Smith, or potential Vince Coleman?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:09 pm

I have heard reports off an on he is untouchable but I dont think he is as untouchable now as he may have been at the beginning of the season. I do think the Reds would trade him if it solved a need. Emotional exits from playoff rounds sometimes have that effect. Plus they still have Cozart who is good and under team control for a while.

I also dont think he is on the same level as Lindor. hamilton is still a great talent biut it seems overall that Lindor has more tools. Hamilton is fast....like crazy fast, like Willie Mays Hays fast but that is pretty much all he has. Doesnt really hit for power or a high average, so if he cant carry over his plate discipline , he is pretty much useless. I mean he could be the next Kenny Lofton who knows.

As for trading for him, I would If I knew I could flip him to another team to acquire more prospect arms like a Trevor Bauer.
Dnthateonthepronk

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:43 pm

motherscratcher wrote: Would you rather have potential Ozzie Smith, or potential Vince Coleman?

It depends. That Vince Coleman was a real firecracker.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:07 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I'd like Al to weigh in on this, but I think you guys might be overvaluing Billy Hamilton.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good prospect and obviously a good base stealer. And that is valuable to a degree. But I'm not sure he is a top flight prospect as much as an interesting anomoly. ANd I absolutely would NOT trade fransisco Lindor for him.

Lindor is an incredible prospect right now at the most valuable position on the field. Hamilton is a fast guy who can get on base and AFAIK a pretty average outfileder.

I think, in the true spirit of people talking about prospects anytime and anywhere, that there's a better than average chance that people are over valuing both Hamilton and Lindor.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:59 pm

peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:I'd like Al to weigh in on this, but I think you guys might be overvaluing Billy Hamilton.

I think, in the true spirit of people talking about prospects anytime and anywhere, that there's a better than average chance that people are over valuing both Hamilton and Lindor.

Everyone always overvalues prospects, which is why I liked the spirit (if not the execution) of the Ubaldo deal. At the same time, club control of a guy like Mike Trout is priceless. Not saying Lindor or Hamilton turn into Trout, but that's what clubs and fans dream on.

As far as the original point goes, yes, I think Hamilton is pretty close to "untouchable." I see absolutely no chance that he's involved in a deal for a decent OF with a 1-yr deal (Choo) unless it's part of the framework of a much larger deal. He's got the potential to be a faster version of Kenny Lofton, if you can believe that. Took huge strides forward with the bat last year, and while he's just learning to be an OF he projects as better than average simply due to his amazing speed. Would I trade Lindor for him? Probably not, as Lindor's defense is worth more to me that Hamilton's speed. But you'd have a lot of Reds fans saying they wouldn't trade Hamilton for Lindor. They're close enough that the argument can be made for either.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Rather than Kenny Lofton is Hamilton more like Juan Pierre or Brett Butler?
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:12 pm

Yeah, I don't know the relative potential between any two hyped prospects- I come here to learn such stuff. But one thing I do know is that the Reds regard Hamilton as much as we regard Lindor. We are waiting for the next wave, as the dangling carrot for us fans. The Reds are good, but have jagged, gaping holes in the outfield and at leadoff. They are just waiting for a Hamilton type to arrive.

Al (or whomever), is it crazy to wonder if the Reds would be interested in a Choo/Perez deal? Would Choo have value in the leadoff spot? Perez would allow them to move Chapman (back) to SP.
googleeph2

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:26 am

googleeph2 wrote:Yeah, I don't know the relative potential between any two hyped prospects- I come here to learn such stuff. But one thing I do know is that the Reds regard Hamilton as much as we regard Lindor. We are waiting for the next wave, as the dangling carrot for us fans. The Reds are good, but have jagged, gaping holes in the outfield and at leadoff. They are just waiting for a Hamilton type to arrive.

Al (or whomever), is it crazy to wonder if the Reds would be interested in a Choo/Perez deal? Would Choo have value in the leadoff spot? Perez would allow them to move Chapman (back) to SP.

I could see them being interested in that package, but honestly not sure for what. I think Choo established his ability to hit leadoff last year, and while I think Chapman should just stick in the bullpen at this point because he's clearly comfortable there, I wouldn't put it past Dusty Baker to jerk him around and have him try to start again. As far as specific names though and whether or not one of those names would be Hamilton, I just don't know. They did show a propensity to move their kids for established vets with their trade with San Diego last spring, so it would be worth exploring.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:59 am

I was one of those who wanted the Reds' Yonder Alonso last year. He developed some with SD, and I still like his RH bat.

I agree on preferring Chapman to stay in the pen. He is in year 4 of 6 and his contract is not over-valued for the closer role. And I don't think he's used a third pitch much in 3+yrs. But the reds keep talking about thinking of making him a starter again.

Lots of baseball people think closers are nothing special, vs. starters. You agree?
googleeph2

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:06 am

I sometimes get the impression that we’d be better off with posters to this board than we are with Shapiro/Antonetti.

No matter. What do the Indians come up with every off-season? Casey Kotchman, Jose Lopez, Aaron Cunningham, Dan Wheeler, Derek Lowe and Jairo Ascencio.

**sigh**
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:06 am

I sometimes get the impression that we’d be better off with posters to this board than we are with Shapiro/Antonetti.

No matter. What do the Indians come up with every off-season? Casey Kotchman, Jose Lopez, Aaron Cunningham, Dan Wheeler, Derek Lowe and Jairo Ascencio.

**sigh**
jerryroche

Unread postby jerryroche » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:08 am

damn sensitive touchpad
jerryroche

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:32 pm

We already knew this, but...

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/danny ... brera-choo

Few Diamondbacks fans in the MLBTradeRumors comments mentioning that they could see a deal involving Archie Bradley for Asdrubal Cabrera. Little far away for my liking, but, has serious upside potential. Taken one spot in front of Lindor in the 2011 draft.

Not sure he'd actually be on the table, or if we'd want to wait on a 20-year-old kid probably pitching in High-A next year, but it's something to talk about while nothing's going on.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Justin Masterson for Wil Myers?

Any chance we can convince Dayton Moore that Masty is still "front line" pitching?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:08 am

motherscratcher wrote:Any chance we can convince Dayton Moore that Masty is still "front line" pitching?

We can only dream.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:25 pm

googleeph2 wrote:The Reds think they are at the edge of a title. They need a LF, or a CF, and a leadoff hitter, and they need to figure out if Aroldis Chapman is a starter like he was when they signed him 3 yrs ago. He's going into yr 4 of 6.

Well hey, I called one, sort of. :dingle:

And yes, I quoted myself.
googleeph2

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:21 am

motherscratcher wrote:Any chance we can convince Dayton Moore that Masty is still "front line" pitching?

Dayton Moore could be convienced into trading Jeff Francouer for a case of stadium mustard...he could help our OF defence and sponsor a bacon-oriented giveaway night.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB