Text Size

College Sports Arena

Bielema Leaves Whisky for Arkansas.

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Bielema Leaves Whisky for Arkansas.

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:07 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--sou ... 32340.html

I'm gonna miss that fat asshole.

Bret Bielema had a problem with Urban Meyer's agressive recruiting. Wait until he's surrounded by 13 other piranhas in the SEC.
-11W twitter.

WTF is Arkansas doing?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Bielema Taking Arkansas Job, Leaving Wisconsin

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:08 pm

"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Bielema Leaves Whisky for Arkansas.

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:18 pm

He's running scared.

I liked this thread better FTR.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Loved this for so many reasons...

1) The comment above related to Big Ten vs. SEC

2) BB I truly relizes at Wisky there is zero answer for OSU in the years ahead

3) so he leaves but he leaves to go somewhere which will almost assure him that he'll be coaching back at his alma mater, Iowa, in 4-5 years. No way he is successful at Arkansas in an environment that he has long since spoke against... good luck completely changing yourself Brett...

4) The SEC West division... again, enjoy Brett

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see how in the hell this is going to end well for BB or Arkansas. This is a round peg in a square hole in my opinion. Although the whining on SEC media days from BB once he learns of the ways of over-signing and rival recruiting will be epic.

Hoping he gets so riled up he pulls the cover off the extreme shady practices in the SEC.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Re: Bielema Taking Arkansas Job, Leaving Wisconsin

Unread postby bac5665 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:57 pm

Great news for the B1G. Arkansas will be trash for a decade.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:03 pm

I guess he realized that Wisco is a sinking ship and that they will never again be better than 2nd place in their division. Sounds like tOSU arrogance, and I am sure it is, but the Tressel days are over. Meyer is not going to sign every decent OH kid and hope for 1-2 national elites to fall in his lap. Meyer is going to take the best 5 in OH, grab a couple of camp offers from OH, and put his efforts on national elites across the country.

Meyer and OSU can do that, Brett and Wisco... they cannot.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:17 pm

Hazell should hold off on taking the Purdue job, until he gets a chance to interview at Whisky.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby idoctribefan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:22 pm

With 3 straight Rose Bowls his stock will never be higher, seeing as how Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl won't be happening near as often (if ever) with Urban sitting atop the Leaders Division year-in and year-out. He's taking the big payday, going to take his lumps for a few years, and then like Noles said he'll be back to a place where he's more comfortable by 2017.
Last edited by idoctribefan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby swerb » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:22 pm

Arkansas = idiots.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:31 pm

If Cryst goes to UW that would cause a interim coach for the bowl game and then a full time replacement, leaving Pitt at eight coaches since 2010.

Also, as much as I hate Brett you can't really blame the guy for leaving a year after he lost SIX assistants.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby BruceK » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:46 pm

My first reaction was to add this to the Urban Meyer KIA list - except for the fact he is going to the SEC, where he will face about six Urban Meyers.

Got to be a pretty big check to put up with living in Fayetteville.
BruceK
BJKResearch.com

Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:03 pm

Big Ten loses Bielema....lands Hazell.

Sounds like a net gain to me.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:14 pm

Petrino - Smith - Bielema.

Baby Jesus in a manger that's the trifecta of dysfunction.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:42 pm

BruceK wrote:My first reaction was to add this to the Urban Meyer KIA list - except for the fact he is going to the SEC, where he will face about six Urban Meyers.

Got to be a pretty big check to put up with living in Fayetteville.

Well played regarding Urban Meyer KIA list.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby dmiles » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:05 pm

I am sure he knows going against Sumlin, Saban and Miles will be no walk in the park.

I think he saw this as the time to cash in. Three years, and set for life if he can keep off the co-eds and away from strippers.

On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Blows my mind the number of CFB writers that were tweeting about how it was a great hire for Wisconsin. Bielema's a good recruiter and has had nice results in a watered-down Big Ten conference, but the guy is lost during the game.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Bielema Taking Arkansas Job, Leaving Wisconsin

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:22 pm

Bielema habit of running up the score,, being selfish, and having a general lack of respect for other coaches will fit right in.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:29 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Petrino - Smith - Bielema.

Baby Jesus in a manger that's the trifecta of dysfunction.

LOL! Awesome. How can it get worst after BB, maybe Lane Kiffin gets fired and he wants to go back to being the big (lame duck coach) fish in a small pond.

Arkansas you have a problem.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:04 am

A national writer was paid to pen this sentence:
Bielema's exit has to feel like a giant middle finger to the Big Ten.

And then this gem:
Bielema can succeed at Arkansas.

Yikes.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... xid=cnnbin
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:16 am

It's become quite en vogue to rip on the B1G for everything that happens (while praising the SEC on one side and just forgetting the PAC exists). Bielema had Arkansas back up the Brinks truck, and knows that Urban's going to run train on the B1G for a while, and he probably wouldn't win the division title for the next few years.

He might also (long-term) want to go back to his alma mater at Iowa, which would be hard to go from one B1G school to another. This way, when Ferentz finally leaves after his contract is up, he can leave Arkansas without too much of an issue.

The problem is that Wisconsin may hire someone competent to fill his shoes. Recruiting up there is tough (outside of those good old-fashioned Midwestern corn-fed farm boys at 6' 6" and 330 lb) and they certainly have the resources to deal with, but they're going to be a middle-of-the-pack team on most years. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby neoleo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:14 am

fairvis wrote:It's become quite en vogue to rip on the B1G for everything that happens (while praising the SEC on one side and just forgetting the PAC exists). Bielema had Arkansas back up the Brinks truck, and knows that Urban's going to run train on the B1G for a while, and he probably wouldn't win the division title for the next few years.

He might also (long-term) want to go back to his alma mater at Iowa, which would be hard to go from one B1G school to another. This way, when Ferentz finally leaves after his contract is up, he can leave Arkansas without too much of an issue.

The problem is that Wisconsin may hire someone competent to fill his shoes. Recruiting up there is tough (outside of those good old-fashioned Midwestern corn-fed farm boys at 6' 6" and 330 lb) and they certainly have the resources to deal with, but they're going to be a middle-of-the-pack team on most years. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I don't think Meyer and OSU's potential dominance has anything to do with it, because if it did he woulnd't have joined the hardest division in college football. He went from being guaranteed number 2 in his division to playing Alabama, LSU and Texas A&M every year (and eventually a rebuilt Auburn).

He went for money, and that's the reason the SEC is the SEC, and why I agree that it's a big middle finger to the Big 10. Even the crappy SEC teams in the middle of nowhere can go out and pay for the guy they want and poach him from a top team in a BCS conference. This would be like Iowa hiring Les Miles.

(And by no means am I saying Brett is a good coach or that Arkansas did well in this hire)
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:20 pm

I think it was LP who said it earlier, but I agree that BB has really maxed out what he can do at Wisconsin, and there really was no place for him to go but down. Part of it is the specter of facing Urban Meyer from now on, but I don't think that's a huge piece of it. He's won three straight conference titles, and no matter who the divisional competition is, he has no climbable mountains left at Wisky.

Yes, there's the money, but the guy also has to be sensitive to being the object of mockery and disdain from most of Big Ten country. He's not well-liked by most everyone, and he has to know it....not that he'll all of a sudden be worshiped in Fayettville or anything...

Also...every week he has to come to the stadium and walk past the statue of his boss Barry Alvarez outside Camp Randall...and know he'll always be second banana in Madison as long as that guy is around. I really do think that's part of it too.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:38 pm

BTW, good info on all these coaching changes available at footballscoop.com and at coachingsearch.com

Pete Roussel of CoachingSearch is also a good Twitter follow : @coachingsearch

danwismar

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:15 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Blows my mind the number of CFB writers that were tweeting about how it was a great hire for Wisconsin.

Comes from their respect for the B1G Conference.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Not sure if running off tackle 75 times a game is gonna move the ball too well against some of those fronts.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:41 am

neoleo wrote:I don't think Meyer and OSU's potential dominance has anything to do with it, because if it did he woulnd't have joined the hardest division in college football. He went from being guaranteed number 2 in his division to playing Alabama, LSU and Texas A&M every year (and eventually a rebuilt Auburn).

He went for money, and that's the reason the SEC is the SEC, and why I agree that it's a big middle finger to the Big 10. Even the crappy SEC teams in the middle of nowhere can go out and pay for the guy they want and poach him from a top team in a BCS conference. This would be like Iowa hiring Les Miles.

(And by no means am I saying Brett is a good coach or that Arkansas did well in this hire)

I am sure money is part of it. He did get a nice 700K bump ($2.5MM to 3.2MM), but to say there is not more to this than money is dumb. I will give you that the SEC West is the hardest division in the NCAA, that is a fact, but the Arkansas expectations are a lot more manageable than Wisco's right now. Wisco fans are expecting Rose Bowls and conference championships, that is something that he will not be able to provide. Arkansas fans are content with losing decent games to 'Bama and LSU and rising up and beating one of them every couple of years.

The difficulty of a job is not a function of the conference/division alone. It is a function of the division and the fan/AD expectations. The cupboards in Madison are starting to run bare. Next year's impending 7-5 or 8-4 season is going to start making his seat hot in Madison and coaches on hot seats do not get lucrative job offers. Meyer is not the reason Bielema is out, but he is part of it. Bielema will not be able to meet expectations and with Meyer coming in Bielema's stock will never be higher.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:57 am

There is some talk here in KC that if Chiefs turnover Crennel and somehow allow Pioli to hire 3rd head coach since '09, he will turn to his buddy Kirk F from Iowa, thus allowing BB to drop into Hawkeyeland.
(Pioli's track record of putting people around him who are former patriots coaches reminds me of another under-employed gm who was hired around the same time as pioli)
kman_holla8

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:01 am

What's the difference between coming in 3rd in a Big '20' conference and coming in 3rd in the SEC?

I know it will surprise Furls and a few others to no end but, its not always about OSU

Guy went for the money and a warmer climate since Whisky is no more of a national powerhouse than R-Kansas

...and tons of coaches have changed schools between the reg season and bowl season...some, too, have stayed...

None of this is new
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby neoleo » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:38 am

furls wrote:I am sure money is part of it. He did get a nice 700K bump ($2.5MM to 3.2MM), but to say there is not more to this than money is dumb. I will give you that the SEC West is the hardest division in the NCAA, that is a fact, but the Arkansas expectations are a lot more manageable than Wisco's right now. Wisco fans are expecting Rose Bowls and conference championships, that is something that he will not be able to provide. Arkansas fans are content with losing decent games to 'Bama and LSU and rising up and beating one of them every couple of years.

The difficulty of a job is not a function of the conference/division alone. It is a function of the division and the fan/AD expectations. The cupboards in Madison are starting to run bare. Next year's impending 7-5 or 8-4 season is going to start making his seat hot in Madison and coaches on hot seats do not get lucrative job offers. Meyer is not the reason Bielema is out, but he is part of it. Bielema will not be able to meet expectations and with Meyer coming in Bielema's stock will never be higher.

I agree to a point about expectations, however Arkansas forced out Houston Nutt who was the king of the 8 win season. In fact, Nutt resigned right after beating LSU. If 8 wins and upsetting Bama/LSU every once in a while is what Bielema is hoping to accomplish, he's going to be in trouble.

And when I talk about money, it's just not the healthy bump he got in salary. It's assistant's salary, recruiting budgets, etc. He's going to a place that will give him whatever resources needed to get the job done. Period. And outside of OSU and mighigan, that doesn't happen in the Big 10.
neoleo
CSU Beat Guy

Favorite Player: Norris Cole
Least Favorite Player: number 6

Unread postby Govbarney » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:19 am

kman_holla8 wrote:There is some talk here in KC that if Chiefs turnover Crennel and somehow allow Pioli to hire 3rd head coach since '09, he will turn to his buddy Kirk F from Iowa, thus allowing BB to drop into Hawkeyeland.
(Pioli's track record of putting people around him who are former patriots coaches reminds me of another under-employed gm who was hired around the same time as pioli)

This will never happen because Kirk never leaves Iowa, because its Kirk who knows where all the bodies are buried in the cornfields around campus. That is the only rational explanation for why the Iowa AD not only keeps him around, but continues to give him raises.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby furls » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:02 am

Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:What's the difference between coming in 3rd in a Big '20' conference and coming in 3rd in the SEC?

I know it will surprise Furls and a few others to no end but, its not always about OSU

Guy went for the money and a warmer climate since Whisky is no more of a national powerhouse than R-Kansas

...and tons of coaches have changed schools between the reg season and bowl season...some, too, have stayed...

None of this is new

You're right. It is not all about tOSU. This is about Bielema's stock, which will never be higher than it is right now. Meyer in the B1G will hurt Bielema's stock and Wisco is going to take another step back next year. I would say that his stock is actually a bit lower today than it was this time last year, and if Brett is going to keep moving up the chain to one of those "desitnation" jobs, it is really a now or never as people are not going to be dying for a coach that finished 7-6, 8-4 (2013) and lost 3 straight Rose Bowls. R-Kansas is a lateral move for Bielema with a bit more money as previously discussed, but I don't think it is a destination job (neither is Iowa is or Wisco). There are only a couple in each major conference + ND.

SEC:
-UF?
-'Bama
-LSU
-Auburn?

B1G:
-tOSU
-scUM
-PSU (used to be and will once again be in a few years).

ACC:
-FSU
-VaTech?

B12:
-UT
-Oklahoma

PAC:
-USC
-Oregon?

and of course ND.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby TribeinLA » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:19 am

Bad move for these reasons:

This is a coach who played for a team with no recruiting base in college and then he's now a coach at a university with no recruiting base. Arkansas, like Iowa and Tennessee and Kansas and Arizona and yada yada, has to depend heavily on other states. They need north Louisiana (which Bama and LSU have the monopoly on now); heavily on mid and east Texas (which Texas, Oklahoma, A&M, and LSU do better in); attempting to rely on the St. Louis market -- which spawns nothing spectacular. Then, Hogs rely on what little in-state base they do have in Springdale, Pine Bluff, Little Rock, Forth Smith, Fayeteville, and Magnolia -- all of which are mainly northern Arkansas cities/towns. Southern Arkansas looks like an atomic bomb was dropped and what was left hung around and didn't do much rebuilding. Places like Crossett, Huttig, Emerson, and Junction City produce more basketball than football. Imagine, Buckeyes, if all you had was Cleveland to recruit from and Michigan was off limits for most part? That's Arkansas in a nut shell.

BB thinks it's a good move because Arkansas and Broyles/Jerry and co. will open up checkbooks if you recruit and win; by the same token they'll cut your head off and tell the world you should be dumped in an ant bed. They are a university that is not part of the "haves" of the SEC -- Bama, LSU, A&M, Auburn (yes, despite their 3-9 season), Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee makes the list b/c of its penis size. SC, Mizzou, Arky, Miss State, Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Vandy will never win a national title in football. The former 6 -- 5 have and will again. In any case, better pay and better facilities...yeah, a better conference, too. BB better take Hogs bowling immediately and then demand to resign another contract that he can Derek Dooley the hell out of when he goes 4-8 over the next two seasons.

I have a feeling this won't end in a happy marriage. Had Petrino learned to ride a motorcycle, who knows what Arkanas might have become? Gundy was no fool for turning down offer. He coaches for a university that if it wins 9 games, he gets incentives and praise for being a Holiday and Alamo Bowl maniac -- T Boone Pickens and co. basically throws his wallet out the window when he drives by Gundy's house. Bielema will enjoy the pay as a young coach; he'll get slaughtered playing in a division that is a gauntlet. Enjoy, BB. You'll be a defensive coordinator at Iowa in no time.
TribeinLA

Favorite Player: Asdrubal Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Josh Beckett

Unread postby TribeinLA » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:25 am

furls wrote:
neoleo wrote:I don't think Meyer and OSU's potential dominance has anything to do with it, because if it did he woulnd't have joined the hardest division in college football. He went from being guaranteed number 2 in his division to playing Alabama, LSU and Texas A&M every year (and eventually a rebuilt Auburn).

Arkansas fans are content with losing decent games to 'Bama and LSU and rising up and beating one of them every couple of years.

When Arkansas goes to the Cotton or Sugar Bowls, their fanbase thinks they're going to the moon. If BB can get them to one of the two in two seasons, he'll have himself a new extension with a big pay bump. Broyles will ensure.
TribeinLA

Unread postby furls » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:17 am

Great posts Tribe!

Very well thought out and detailed. Thanks.

BB's expectations at Wisco were becoming Rose Bowl, and frankly those expectations are not realistic anymore. Meyer changes the game, but so does Wisco. They were on a hell of a run for that program, and it is not a sustainable run based on the way the school recruits. They have hit paydirt a couple of times, but it isn't realistic to expect to win the B1G consistently with the mediocre talent they bring in.

If he can get R-Kansas to sniff the Rose Bowl,then he wins, just like you said.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby TribeinLA » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks furls. I know the area well. Coached HS ball in NW LA for a few years. Now in south LA. Arkansas will pay him. They will love him. Then, ala Nolan Richardson, Houston Nutt, Petrino (his own doing), etc. he will get his head chopped off in front of millions of stone throwing hypocritical croneys. A marriage that will last 3 years tops.
TribeinLA

Return to College Sports Arena