Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

STO Sale to Fox Sports?

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

STO Sale to Fox Sports?

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:07 pm

Saw a tweet from Paul Hoynes last night on the subject. Today, Sports Business Daily tweeted about Fox Sports and their quest for regional sports networks.

Article: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour ... ports.aspx

A potential deal with the Indians could be close at hand. Indians owner Larry Dolan launched the regional sports network SportsTime Ohio in 2006, with much of the RSN’s programming centered on Indians games.

But since its launch, SportsTime Ohio has had trouble with its cable carriage deals, which have among the lowest rates of all RSNs. Cable operators pay an average of $2.21 per subscriber per month, according to SNL Kagan, which is below the national RSN average of $2.49.

It’s unclear whether Fox is interested in picking up the Indians’ rights for its FS Ohio RSN, which already carries games from the Reds, Cavaliers and Blue Jackets. Fox also could be looking to buy the channel outright.

Rumors of SportsTime Ohio’s pending sale have been around for several years. Time Warner Cable has long been mentioned as a potential suitor. But sources say that talks with Fox have progressed fast enough that they expect a deal to be finalized before the 2013 MLB season.

Wonder if this will just fall under the umbrella of Fox Sports Ohio or if there may actually be enough of a market for a Fox Sports Cleveland (or some variation).
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: STO Sale to Fox Sports?

Unread postby bookelly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:26 pm

See me favorite player.

This is another domino in the sale of the Indians. Contracts are all cleared up (especially after we trade Droobs, Choo, C. Perez and maybe Justin and Carlos.) Now the sale of the Dolan channel. New manager, and a nice crop of kids coming up with the Lindor wave.

Calling my shot...new owner sometime in 2013.

Edit: And the more I think of it (going back to my rant about Shapiro) those statements indicate to me a guy who knows that attendance is NOT the highest priority this year. Dolan could care less. He wants out, and he's instructed Mark to do whatever it takes to make the team an attractive investment. Win/losses are of no concern. Financial attractiveness (ie - lack of contractual commitment) is priority #1.

/I can dream...
Last edited by bookelly on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Dying to hear Swerb and Peeker's take, esp since STO links their stories.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Spin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:38 am

According to Tony Rizzo (still works for Fox8 and has friends at STO) Fox is buying STO to get the Indians contract. They don't think they can move the Indians to FSO by next season, so STO might be around through next season. :thud:
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:14 am

I still don't understand why folks expect a new owner (unless it's Mark Cuban, which it will not be) to deficit spend in order to overpay free agents to come to Cleveland. And regardless, free agents almost always underperform relative to their contract value. Not always, but usually. Buying FA's isn't the secret to baseball success. It's drafting, scouting, trading and finding FA bargains that the rest of the league undervalues for whatever reason. Money doesn't buy happiness, and it sure as hell doesn't buy the playoffs.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:14 am

gotribe31 wrote:I still don't understand why folks expect a new owner (unless it's Mark Cuban, which it will not be) to deficit spend in order to overpay free agents to come to Cleveland. And regardless, free agents almost always underperform relative to their contract value. Not always, but usually. Buying FA's isn't the secret to baseball success. It's drafting, scouting, trading and finding FA bargains that the rest of the league undervalues for whatever reason. Money doesn't buy happiness, and it sure as hell doesn't buy the playoffs.

Good point. Does anyone know how much the Tribe spends on its scouting department compared to the other clubs?
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby pup » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:15 am

I still don't understand why we believe it would require deficit spending to pay for free agents? Because the guys making the money say so?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:40 am

I'd hope new ownership would have a plan to market the (21st Century) team.
googleeph2

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:54 am

pup wrote:I still don't understand why we believe it would require deficit spending to pay for free agents? Because the guys making the money say so?

To overpay the kind of game-changing free agents some fans expect us to sign? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what it would take. I'm not saying they can't spend a little more $ than they are currently, but to expect the Indians to be able to compete for free agents with the teams that get 5x the TV revenue alone isn't realistic in my eyes.

Rather than begging for a new owner who will throw $250 million at Pujols, we should be begging for a front office that consistently and effectively identify and acquire the best amature talent. Because that's how this team is going to compete long term, regardless of ownership in my opinion.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby pup » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:03 pm

gotribe31 wrote:
pup wrote:I still don't understand why we believe it would require deficit spending to pay for free agents? Because the guys making the money say so?

To overpay the kind of game-changing free agents some fans expect us to sign? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what it would take. I'm not saying they can't spend a little more $ than they are currently, but to expect the Indians to be able to compete for free agents with the teams that get 5x the TV revenue alone isn't realistic in my eyes.

Rather than begging for a new owner who will throw $250 million at Pujols, we should be begging for a front office that consistently and effectively identify and acquire the best amature talent. Because that's how this team is going to compete long term, regardless of ownership in my opinion.

That follows Lead's 90% rule, IMO.

I don't remember Pujols and his $250M being a sticking point for a majority of the fan base. It is more the Willingham $30M and the fear of year 3 crippling an organization that people do not believe is true.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:31 pm

pup wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:

That follows Lead's 90% rule, IMO.

I don't remember Pujols and his $250M being a sticking point for a majority of the fan base. It is more the Willingham $30M and the fear of year 3 crippling an organization that people do not believe is true.

Right, I'm not referring to the majority of fans (or you in particular), but the Cleve.com types are more prevelant than we realize insulated here in our fairly intelligent forums.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:17 pm

I wasn't trying to be Cleve.com-esq. The Willingham contract is exactly what I'm talking about. When you can't even spend $10 Mil per year for a high-quality player who fills a GLARING hole on a supposed contending team...step aside and let somebody come in here who will.

After that win we had against Verlander I was on-line looking to buy a plane ticket back to C-town to catch a penant race. Then we lost like 18-20 (I can't recall the real numbers but it was an epic fail.) But had they continued to win, I'm certain they would have packed the house.

It's simple: spend money and you'll make money.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Spin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:18 pm

Bullshit. The Indians are among the most profitable sports franchises in the US according to business mags. I'm so sick of hearing this shit about how they can't afford to pay any more.

MY ASS.

And it doesn't take NY Yankee numbers to win. You just need someone who knows talent from his ass hole to put the team together.

The Indians salary was $78,430,300
Cincinnati's was $82,203,616
Washington's was $81,336,143
Oakland's, $55,372,500
23 million dollars less than the Tribe.
All won divisions.

Dolan needs to put a little more of that $30,000,000 profit back into the payroll. And he needs to find someone who won't spend it on 40 year old has-beens.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:15 am

Book, I wasn't referring to you either. Like I said, this board (for the most part) is full of very smart baseball fans.

But I'm positive that they wouldn't have "packed the house" after that Verlander game. I came back to a couple of games down the strech in 2006 when a playoff berth seemed all but locked up. Saw them beat the Rays once and lose once. There were 25k in the stands, tops. I came back in 2007 for every home playoff game except one, and while the games were sold out, there were a smattering of empty seats and the streets were full of scalpers bemoaning the resale market and dumping their tickets below face value, even prior to the 1st pitch. Look at the attendance numbers from last season when the team was in first, and 2011 in May/June before they fell off a cliff...the fans were still staying home in droves.
-----Abe Lincoln

-----Lars
gotribe31

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:13 am

gotribe31 wrote:Book, I wasn't referring to you either. Like I said, this board (for the most part) is full of very smart baseball fans.

But I'm positive that they wouldn't have "packed the house" after that Verlander game. I came back to a couple of games down the strech in 2006 when a playoff berth seemed all but locked up. Saw them beat the Rays once and lose once. There were 25k in the stands, tops. I came back in 2007 for every home playoff game except one, and while the games were sold out, there were a smattering of empty seats and the streets were full of scalpers bemoaning the resale market and dumping their tickets below face value, even prior to the 1st pitch. Look at the attendance numbers from last season when the team was in first, and 2011 in May/June before they fell off a cliff...the fans were still staying home in droves.

hmm...I guess the "most profitable team in baseball" word that we all suspected got out premature. I, and everyone else, should boycot this asshole Dolan team until he sells. Disgusting. +31 million? Fuck you Larry.
:fu:

/and btw- have any of you guys ever met a cool guy named Larry? Larry is just a fuckwit name. :partyers:
Last edited by bookelly on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:20 am

bookelly wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:Book, I wasn't referring to you either. Like I said, this board (for the most part) is full of very smart baseball fans.

hmm...I guess the "most profitable team in baseball" word that we all suspected got out premature. I, and everyone else, should boycot this asshole Dolan team until he sells. Disgusting. +31 million? Fuck you Larry.

/and btw- have any of you guys ever met a cool guy named Larry that wasn't a drug dealer or your Dungeon Master (D&D - not Pups basement) in 1982? Larry is just a fuckwit name. :partyers:

I know a very good Dungeon Master named Larry. This is 100% True.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:26 am

justmebd wrote:
bookelly wrote:

/and btw- have any of you guys ever met a cool guy named Larry that wasn't a drug dealer or your Dungeon Master (D&D - not Pups basement) in 1982? Larry is just a fuckwit name. :partyers:

I know a very good Dungeon Master named Larry. This is 100% True.

I deleted that...never met Pup personally, so I can't jab him like that. But I hope to meet most of you soon.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:28 am

Annnnd...now I'm eggfaced. Sorry Pup. Was joking. And tried to pull it back.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:34 am

bookelly wrote:Annnnd...now I'm eggfaced. Sorry Pup. Was joking. And tried to pull it back.

Hey, someone tell me what was said about me.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby rk » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:49 pm

bookelly wrote:/and btw- have any of you guys ever met a cool guy named Larry? Larry is just a fuckwit name. :partyers:

Larry Czonka spits in your general direction.

Also Mo, Curly, and that other guy. You know. The funny one.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby bookelly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:21 pm

There's this guy. Also known as Mother's alter ego.

And Pup - I made a crack about you having a Dungeon in your basement - BDSM style. I tried to delete it, but it got quoted before I could. My bad. :tfh: :hic:

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:17 pm

I love the name Larry. Both my kids have been unofficially named Larry in utero. I'm still hoping to make it stick long term this time around, but it's an uphill battle.

Also, I do know a guy (friend of a friend) named Larry who is absolutely cool. I'm crappin' you negative.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:18 pm

And quit apologizing to Pup, Boo. He's a big boy. He can handle it.

Plus, he deserves that stuff. He's afraid of maths.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:44 pm

bookelly wrote: But I hope to meet most of you soon.

Wait- who are the ones you do not hope to meet soon?
googleeph2

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:55 pm

motherscratcher, duh.

No one wants to meet that thing.

Followed by FUDU and Pros, for obvious reasons.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:03 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:motherscratcher, duh.

No one wants to meet that thing.

Followed by FUDU and Pros, for obvious reasons.

I've met motherscratcher. He's quite a nice guy. Must be his evil twin that posts here.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby bookelly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:32 am

All of you I should say. Except for Jennifer. That pink teddy bear weirded me out man. Glad he's gone.

Itching to get back home for a bit. It's been way to long. Won't do it till it's warm of course, but that golf outing sounds fun. Or the clambake (smoke) /tailgate too!

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby pup » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:56 am

bookelly wrote:Image

There's this guy. Also known as Mother's alter ego.

And Pup - I made a crack about you having a Dungeon in your basement - BDSM style. I tried to delete it, but it got quoted before I could. My bad. :tfh: :hic:

You would only owe an apology if it isn't true :spanky:

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:53 am

Spin wrote:The Indians salary was $78,430,300
Cincinnati's was $82,203,616
Washington's was $81,336,143
Oakland's, $55,372,500
23 million dollars less than the Tribe.
All won divisions.

-SNIP-

And he needs to find someone who won't spend it on 40 year old has-beens.

Point taken. Reds are the model. ID and acquire (in draft or trade) a couple studs to be brought up from the minors (Bruce, Votto). Buy low eg. on a Phillips. Bid on a intl guy like a Chapman. Trade for eg. a Cueto and a Latos for the FOR. Develop a Bailey.

Foremost, you need the starting staff. Gotta at least have that, even in the AL.
The 2-3 studs in the lineup come next, and the rest can be Dellucis, Michaels types.

FYI I saw a projection on the Reds' team payroll for 2013- $93mil and rising. Just depends where you are in the window, and the contract status of your studs.

Cleveland would sustain such a sliding scale of payroll, if their FO was able to make the decisions that brought in the starting rotation and the 2-3 everyday lineup studs.
googleeph2

Unread postby Indyan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Our HS baseball coach would call you "Larry" for being lazy / making a bonehead play / losing the game for us. We had a lot of Larrys on the team.

bookelly wrote:All of you I should say. Except for Jennifer. That pink teddy bear weirded me out man. Glad he's gone.

Wow, I missed that.
Indyan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:19 pm

WTF is going on this thread?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Chipper Jones apparently hated the name Larry also.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB