Text Size

College Sports Arena

2013 Recruiting

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: 2013 Recruiting

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:37 pm

Oh and Conley, the UM commit did show up yesterday. He'll be a Buckeye if Oregon doesn't snatch him up quickly here.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Right now I am thinking the Bucks end with, percent certainty in ():

-Worley (100%)
-Conley (95%, I don't think he is an Oregon lock even if he gets the offer)
-Johnson (90%)
-Mitchell (75%, needs to actually get on campus, then I think he commits)
-Quick (75%)
-Gibson (100% if gets the grades)
-Bell (<40%, just feels like it is trending the wrong way)

I still think that there is going to be a random out of left field commit before signing day too. Someone completely off everyone's RADAR right now.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:55 pm

The mystery man in it all is Donovan Munger.... WTF is he waiting for? Everyone has confirmed his offer is committable, but if David Dawson jumps in I've got to think that offer changes.

I agree with what you have there, but I would put Bell at a coin flip with one of Munger and Dawson ending up in the class.

Oh and Mitchell's team finally lost so he should be on Campus 12/7 during the next huge weekend (Dawson will be in tow as well since Cass Tech won the title Saturday).

Edit: because I somehow called Dawson Johnson.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:13 pm

Still shaking my head at Johnson going to Pitt.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:46 pm

furls wrote:2014 Iggy LB = Kyle Berger. Pretty decent film. Rumored to be a pretty smart guy, one of those QB of the defense sorts. 44 TFL and 10 Sacks against Iggy's competition is pretty good.

He's a clone of Jake Ryan.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby furls » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:56 pm

Jake Ryan is really about 2-3 scUM players that I would like to see in S&G. I know it sounds like BS, but their roster fucking blows, he really is one of the stand outs. I think Joe Bolden and Pipkins I think would be the other 2.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:32 am

So Conley didn't talk to the OSU coaches, played it off as watching scUM and is still committed apparently. A whole lot of weird.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:56 am

nevada says Trey Johnson = Buckeye (he has been an Auburn commit)

Scout's #20 OLB...4-star from Georgia. At this stage of the process, it's more instructive to look at the offer list rather than the ratings...Bama, Fla, FSU, USC, Miami, Michigan...all the big boys....and Michigan.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:21 am

FWIW: Rivals has Trey at around the #80 prospect in the country and Mitchell (Fickel was in house yesterday) at 32. If the Buckeyes land them both (as expected) that will give them two top one hundred overall players coming in at LB to add on top of last year's athletes.

And while nevada is seldom wrong, he does reserve the right to pull his equals before NSD (kids minds change, christ, Stefon Diggs was a silent to Urban before he went to MD). I still see the UF visit with his dad as the final hurdle for Trey (this has been an UF - OSU battle for a couple of weeks now, with OSU having to catch and pass UF).
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:15 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:So Conley didn't talk to the OSU coaches, played it off as watching scUM and is still committed apparently. A whole lot of weird.

Word breaking now that Conley has decommitted from scUM and will taken an OV to tOSU. I don't know the date, but I think it may be part of the 7 DECish event. Definitely a strange recruitment, but some folks are speculating that some of the recruitniks were trolled on this one.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:17 pm

danwismar wrote:nevada says Trey Johnson = Buckeye (he has been an Auburn commit)

Scout's #20 OLB...4-star from Georgia. At this stage of the process, it's more instructive to look at the offer list rather than the ratings...Bama, Fla, FSU, USC, Miami, Michigan...all the big boys....and Michigan.

No question Trey Johnson is a major player. All you have to do is watch the highlights and you can see a special player. Not the athlete that Mitchell is (who is?), but he seems more instinctive and that is important anyways.

I say take them both and let their play sort it out! I think that is clearly tOSU's plan.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:20 pm

From 247 (not sure if it is premium):

Not to a surprise of many but today Massilon (Ohio) Washington athlete Gareon Conley has decommitted from Michigan. The 6-foot-1, 172-pound prep took a visit to Ohio State this past weekend but has been mum on that visit since.

Today he confirmed with 247Sports he is no longer a Wolverine commit and he provided some small detail about who's in the mix.

"I'm looking at Ohio State and Cincinnati I guess too," Conley said. "I'm still considering Michigan too. Oregon told me they weren't gonna offer me so I'm not looking at them anymore."

The Ducks and Buckeyes figured to be in a heated battle should the nation's No. 225 overall prep open things up. It appears Ohio State may now be a heavy favorite to land the services of the versatile athlete.

According to national analyst Steve Wiltfong from previous conversations, Conley might be one of the more under rated prospects in the country, although he is currently ranked a four-star.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:03 pm

First: Conley goes to OSU, doesn't talk to any coaches, players or other recruits

Now, to recap the last 24 hours:

Conley has told Scout he was all UM

Hid from the Rivals guys

Told 247 he decommitted

Okay? Did Hoke yell at him at some point today and cause this shift? Like WTF?
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:10 pm

And now he just confirmed the decommitment with Rivals....

So wierd.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:24 pm

He had an in home today with Mattison (rumored) and decommitted in person. I don't know if it is true or not but that is the rumor.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:27 pm

Trey Johnson officially de-committed from Auburn today (where he had been committed since August of '11), however, his coach still says he is taking that UF (and far less important USC) visit.

Also said he won't even talk to Auburn until they hire a coach.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:16 am

Glad to see it is official with Trey Johnson. I am not sure who I like better, Johnson or Mitchell, but it is a great problem to have!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:43 am

Mitchell is an athlete learning to play LB, Trey Johnson is an LB.

I think you said it best previously, they hedge each other well.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:00 pm

I wonder if Mitchell might make a good SAM. He is a big guy, and would play well in space. I haven't seen any video of him really shedding blocks, but he is definitely enough of an athlete to play outside and he looks like he could be big enough to play right on the LOS.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:52 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:First: Conley goes to OSU, doesn't talk to any coaches, players or other recruits

Now, to recap the last 24 hours:

Conley has told Scout he was all UM

Hid from the Rivals guys

Told 247 he decommitted

Okay? Did Hoke yell at him at some point today and cause this shift? Like WTF?

Vrabel reportedly at Massillon Washington H.S. today. Urban Meyer has an in-home visit with Conley tonight. It's the full-court press. FWIW, nevada has issued the equals sign.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:51 am

So, Hoke, realizing what a joke his recruiting "laws" were is going back on his "system" and going back after Dawson?

Kudos to Hoke for finally realizing it is 2012.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:11 pm

Two national championships and three Super Bowl rings visited with Conley in his home last night...Conley reportedly (Greene) said he liked both Meyer and Vrabel a lot...will visit next weekend with the other heavyweights

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:02 pm

And he has an official to scUM the weekend after that....

Hoke's recruiting policies evolving before our very eyes!
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:41 pm

Hoke's tactics are pretty dumb, bummer that he realized the folly of his ways. I think his lead balloon return to reality this year is going to really make 2014 a tough recruiting year for him. The team wasn't very good this year and still doesn't really reflect whatever offense it is that he is trying to sell to recruits.

I am predicting a 10-15ish finish for scUM's 2014 class following this year's impending 8-5 season.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:38 pm

Hoke will learn alot from Urban.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:32 pm

New Rivals 100 is out, Cam and Bosa dropped while EZE jumped 43 spots....
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Buckeyes have five commits in new Rivals Top 100:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/r ... /rank-3053

Woodard - 28
Burrows - 31
Marshall- 42
Bosa - 51
Elliott - 77

very good possibility they will add as many as three more:

Mike Mitchell - 30
Shelton Gibson - 98
Trey Johnson - 86

Michigan also has five, with a chance to add a couple more?

Derrick Green?
Treadwell?

(I like the OSU five way better than the Michigan five, which includes McCray, Morris, Bosch, Poggi, Kugler)

Penn State has three, and no other B1G school has any...

I continue to insist this is the biggest reason the Big Ten is a declining football conference....9-10 of the league's schools are not landing ANY of the nation's best players.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:58 pm

Pitt would be the third best class when this all ends if they were in the B1G, you have a point Dan
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:40 pm

You've got to tip your hat to Paul Chryst and the Pitt staff for keeping 5-star talents Dorian Johnson and (presumably) Robert Foster close to home at a mediocre program like Pitt, when they could have gone to any school in the country.

danwismar

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:01 pm

danwismar wrote:You've got to tip your hat to Paul Chryst and the Pitt staff for keeping 5-star talents Dorian Johnson and (presumably) Robert Foster close to home at a mediocre program like Pitt, when they could have gone to any school in the country.

They got a little lucky in that both of them are big time homebodies, but I agree, keeping them is big. Lee and you guys are right, the recruiting in this conference is a fucking joke even at scUM. FWIW, I don't root for scUM in anything or at anytime and I don't like their 5.

Morris is overrated, he showed how overrated he was at the Elite Eleven this summer. He is a big arm and a bigger mouth. McCray is a decent player, but I don't think he ever sees the field at tOSU, not with the prospects the Buckeyes are landing. McCray is nowhere near the player that Mitchell or Johnson are, and I still prefer 4 of last year's 5 LBs (Perry, Marcus, Perkins and Williams) to McCray.

I think the Bucks finish with the four you have listed there Worley and Quick. I say their shot at Bell is <33%. Of course Munger is a possibility too, particularly with the rumors today that Hankins has notified the staff and some teammates that he is NFL bound.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:06 pm

FWIW, Taco Charlton has really broken out this year and is looking like he may have been worth last year's unwarranted hype. I still prefer Tracy Sprinkle, but Charlton looks like he will be a good player for scUM.

I have also read that you have a better shot at getting snow on the 4th of July in Hell than scUM does at Treadwell. That ship has sailed (apparently). As for Derrick Green, who knows. That kid has strung this out so long that he has actually seen his early leaders just move on... (tOSU, Clemson, etc.)

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:07 pm

I still think Conley is a Buckeye.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:11 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:I still think Conley is a Buckeye.

Oh yeah, I forgot about him. I agree. That makes this class:

Conley
Mitchell
Johnson
Quick
Gibson
Worley
and possibly Munger.

That puts the class total at 24. Still need some attrition to get their but I think we lose Roby and Hank (unfortunately) and I think we will some deadweight move on as well (Chris Carter?).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:29 pm

Agree with that projection and I still REALLLY want Von Bell.....

A lot of dead weight is about to leave, including Ty Williams, a few OL that Meyer spent the entire year pooping on and Chris Carter.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:30 pm

(interestingly, Chris Fields may have saved his spot with the Purdoo game)
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:11 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:New Rivals 100 is out, Cam and Bosa dropped while EZE jumped 43 spots....

Wow, those 50 guys ahead of Bosa must be NFL ready, coz he is from another friggin planet.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby furls » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:24 pm

Bosa did not put up ridiculous numbers this year because of a concussion early in the season that slowed him down for about 3-4 weeks and the fact that apparently it is really hard to beat double and triple teams at the level of HS FB that St. Thomas Aquinas plays.

Adolphus Washington was a similar type of stud last year and saw similar treatment (doubled and trippled the entire game), but he still had 23 sacks. The difference is that one plays Div III OH ball in a crappy conference, the other plays big school ball against one of the toughest schedules in HS FB.

I think Bosa will be a big time player here for sure, but I am not sure that it will be next year. I think it may take him a year to be a big impact player. It is a tough adjustment from HS to NCAAF on the lines. I am sure we will see him some next year, but I am not sure that we will see a ton of him. As for the other 50 guys.... rankings is very much a "what does your highlight film look like" and a guy getting doubled/trippled out of a play doesn't make for a great highlight film.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:52 pm

For what it's worth, Bill Greene from Scout is hearing that Roby is staying for another year. He's heard that from those close to Roby and just recently from those close to the staff.

The secondary would be incredibly unproven without him next year, so, definitely good news if true.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:20 am

Some 2012 highlights of Ez-E...not sure how new..

...stats for this year 203 rushing attempts, 2155 rushing yards, 10.62 avg, 40 rushing TDs, 16 receptions, 383 receiving yards, 23.94 yards/reception, 4 receiving TDs.

http://www.prepforce.com/video/2870/201 ... highlights

Only question is level of competition, which is clearly pretty lame in some of this video, but the kid breaks a lot of tackles for his size, and seems to have some tremendous lateral quickness and elusiveness that you can't teach, IMO.

And of course he has a gear that nobody else on the field has...at times he seems to be toying with the opposition...just gliding and not trying all that hard when he doesn't have to.

The prospect of adding him, Marshall, Gibson and maybe Quick to the speed they already have...it's an element this team really didn't have outside of Devin Smith this year.

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:02 am

I was sold on Joey Bosa the moment I saw the video of him, at 6'5", 260, do a standing back flip. The kid obviously has athletic ability not often found in a package that size.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:29 pm

You can probably scratch Dawson off the list. Just cancelled this weekend's OV for the "ACT", which I suspect is code for Brady won't let me come back if I go to OSU.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:55 am

danwismar wrote:I was sold on Joey Bosa the moment I saw the video of him, at 6'5", 260, do a standing back flip. The kid obviously has athletic ability not often found in a package that size.

I learned from the Mike D'Andrea videos to stop looking at random acts of athleticism outside of a football context as a means to measure a guys future, hence, my slightly lower opinion of Mike Mitchell than many others that LOVE him based on that Opening performance. I actually like Trey Johnson a little more based on his HS footage.

Here is D'Andreas video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-oPVi_E6gg
Here is the Bosa Backflip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8fq7j-L

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby danwismar » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:15 pm

No doubt way too much emphasis is put on combine performances and non-football athletic measurables. To be fair to D'Andrea though, his OSU career was ended (never even started?) by a series of serious injuries, rather than by disappointing performance as a football player. We never really got to find out how good he might have been.

danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:18 pm

Free Rivals Michael Hill interview: http://ohiostate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1445611
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:16 pm

danwismar wrote:No doubt way too much emphasis is put on combine performances and non-football athletic measurables. To be fair to D'Andrea though, his OSU career was ended (never even started?) by a series of serious injuries, rather than by disappointing performance as a football player. We never really got to find out how good he might have been.

Yeah, D'Andrea is a crushing example of injuries (like the Big Kat in the NFL) ruining a promising career, and you are right, but even still I didn't love D'Andrea as a HS recruit.

Biggest joke of the offseason was Jalin Marshall's plummet based on camp performances. He ran a slow 40 at the opening and was not able to get open against the nation's best CBs while playing WR for the first time in his career. All you have to do is watch the first 30 seconds of the kid's highlight footage and you know he is one of the very best players in HS FB. Imagine how good he would've done on a decent team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PHIzZ-gVz0

Watch the play at the :57 mark.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:01 pm

All over twitter....

Gareon Conley commits to tOSU.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:17 pm

Before even attending the football rally tonight? LOL

Fuck you Hoke.

Edit: just checked Rivals, confirmed. Not to mention the fact that due to his early visit he hasn't even been on campus with the big gun committed kids that are officialling to recruit this weekend.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:24 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Before even attending the football rally tonight? LOL

Fuck you Hoke.

Edit: just checked Rivals, confirmed. Not to mention the fact that due to his early visit he hasn't even been on campus with the big gun committed kids that are officialling to recruit this weekend.

So who commits within a week?

Only one I can think of is maybe Mitchell, but at the same time, he may want to take his officials. Then again, he is not a kid that loves the "process."

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:27 pm

Mitchell and Munger are the next two possibilities. The only negative with Mitchell is that his dad is ill and couldn't make the trip with him.

Whenever Ginn Sr. lets Worley he'll be a go.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:32 pm

furls wrote:All over twitter....

Gareon Conley commits to tOSU.

Are you on Twitter, Furls?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."