Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

A Thoroughly Enjoyable 2OT Loss

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

A Thoroughly Enjoyable 2OT Loss

Unread postby aclayman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:55 pm

I know we don't even bother with Cavs game threads anymore, but on the off chance anyone else actually watched the Cavs-Blazers game tonight, I just feel like going out on a limb and saying I think this team is pretty entertaining and likable right now (for whatever that's worth). Are they 4-13? Yes. Are we beyond accepting "moral victories"? Sure. But for pure entertainment value-- spending your time actually watching the game on TV-- this is not the shit show we grew accustomed to in Year One without LBJ. They've gone out there without Kyrie and played Miami and Memphis to the wire, beat Atlanta, and showed a ton of heart taking Portland to Double OT (if you didn't see it, the Blazers won on a ridiculous off balance three-pointer at the buzzer, of course). And in place of the LBJ isolation offense of the Mike Brown era, Byron Scott actually has these guys moving around and running "plays" on occasion.

If the team is on trial, I might also mention that their schedule has been absolutely ridiculous this year so far. 11 of their first 17 have been on the road, including a six game trip that hit the west coast AND east coast. And two of their six home games came the next night after a road game.

Will they turn into a playoff team when the schedule balances out and Irving returns? No. But with tonight as a fine example, Varejao is about as watchable an athlete as there is in this town right now-- averaging a ridiculous 15 and 15 a night. And the rooks Tyler Zeller and Dion Waiters both made some huge plays in the overtime sessions and have looked like solid selections overall.

I guess I am just wondering if anyone else gives a rat's ass about watching these games right now, or if it's simpler just going on fan auto-pilot until the draft?
aclayman

Favorite Player: Andy Allanson
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bando

Re: A Thoroughly Enjoyable 2OT Loss

Unread postby swerb » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:08 am

I watched off and on, and yes, this team is very likable.

Kyrie is special. Waiters is a legit scorer and legit running mate for #2. Andy is having a ridiculous break out season. And Zeller is a legit 20-30 min a night NBA C. Tristan is a young limited piece that is prolly destined to be a bench guy. And Gee would be a decent guy to come off the bench for a better team. The rest is a mess ... but I agree: they're fun to watch, likable, and not that far away from being a real tough out in the playoffs once the Cavs front office stops trying to lose games and supplements the tea.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Prosecutor » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:44 am

I'm also watching and really enjoying this team the last couple of weeks. The games against Memphis, Miami, Altanta, and Portland all came down to the final minute, or the final second in two of those games.

Last night's loss was frustrating but in the NBA you have players who can knock down an off-balance 3-pointer while not even facing the basket. Batum was 1-for-6 on three pointers the night before but of course he nailed it against the Cavs.

Yes, the schedule has been ridiculous, but the Cavs are only 4 or 5 games off the division lead, which shows how weak their division is. Zeller is coming on, Kyrie will get back, and Scott has figured out who he can trust to contribute something off the bench. Hint: It ain't Miles, Walton, or Samardo. Barring an injury to Andy, I wouldn't count the Cavs out just yet.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby andrew6586 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:41 am

It was fun to watch and I enjoy watching these young guys grow. Waiters is looking more like a legit top ten pick (not quite top five yet) but he needs to be more consistent scoring the ball. He does a good job of getting to hoop but doesn't know what to do with the ball when he gets there. Luckily though, that's something you can teach. Hopefully he learns a thing or two from Kyrie. Waiters also needs to improve his jumper but we already knew that. Thompson and Zeller are all right but struggle against athletic counterparts. Again, we knew that before the season started though. They have time to develop. Andy has been incredible this year. Trade stock is going through the roof.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:45 am

Andrew, chill. Yea, I watch and I am not sure watching them find ways to lose is fun, but being a parent I understand it is part of the developmental process. I agree with ^^^^ of what you guys are saying.

I see Zeller as playing a bigger role than TT as a significant contributor. Sure he has his limits, but he knows the game. He won't ever be Kevin McHale but he ain't Luke Walton...er I mean chopped liver either.

As per usual, the absence of KI is giving Waiters, Pargo, Boobie, etc extra valuable playing time so when Rook of Year returns perhaps we can more effectively close out a game or two. It also will give Waiters time to buy some high-tops and an ankle brace (see Peek).
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby OldDawg » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:22 pm

The goal-tending call on a shot that was on its way down, but was already beneath the rim was a back-breaker in this game.

Zeller did have a nice game. His ability to hit from 18' will serve him and his team well when you have two penetrating playmakers on the floor with him.

Tading Andy? I mentioned that the other day to someone who follows the Cavs more closely than I. Doesn't he have two very reasonable years on his contract? If we trade him, we better get the farm. I would be a little careful about how aggressively we trade for the future when Andy might have a decent future left in him.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA