Text Size

College Sports Arena

12-0

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

12-0

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:38 pm

12-0

Enough said
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: 12-0

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:50 pm

I am sure someone will be here shortly to remind us that it was a down B1G, but all you can do is win your games.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:50 pm

Judging by records it was also down year for the SEC, PAC12 ,and BIG 12. But I doubt thats brought up much
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:25 am

Govbarney wrote:Judging by records it was also down year for the SEC, PAC12 ,and BIG 12. But I doubt thats brought up much

Actually, outside of the SEC, that's not too far off. The SEC has 6 out of their 14 teams with 10 wins. That's kind of impressive. The PAC has 2, as does the B1G, ACC, and potentially the Big 12 (if Oklahoma wins next week).
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:30 am

It was kind of a down year for NCAAF. I don't know what it is, but there just doesn't seem to be the star power like there was a couple of years ago, as evidenced by all the underclassmen in the running for the Hyperman Trophy. There seems to be a hole with the seniors and juniors. I wonder if the NFL scouts are looking at the 2014-2015 drafts more favorably than this year's.

As far as the teams go, I cannot remember a year where all the top teams had so many warts and seemed so vulnerable. Florida looked good in the second half, but you aren't going to convince me that they are "championship worthy" same with UGA. LSU is down a bit from usual. I still think 'Bama is the best team in the NCAA, but I think they would would lose to last year's Bama team. USC is a joke. ND's offense looked better last night, but playing USC's D will do that. Just kind of a blah year for NCAA football.

I blame:
1. The B1G for sucking this year. No great teams (I struggle to find 2 good ones), though OSU is the best of the scrap.
2. Lane Kiffin for squandering talent.
3. Bob Stoopes for see 2.
4. Mack Brown for being Mack Brown. (when is that seat going to get hot?)
5. Chip Kelley for not figuring out that he needs a DC.
6. Jimbo Fischer for being fooled by EJ Manuel for the 3rd straight year.
7. The Big East for existing (shout out to my boy MacPhisto)
8. Michigan's AD for hiring Brady Hoke and ensuring scUM remains irrelevant for the next 5 years.
9. Beamer... is there a more overrated coach or team than VT every year?

I actually think it was a pretty good year for the ACC. I cannot remember FSU or Clemson having as much NFL worthy talent and depth as they currently have on those rosters. There are some scary athletes on those teams, and that is a lot more than you can usually say about the ACC. Their skill positions are every bit the athletic equals of their SEC cousins.

I will still watch the shit out of the bowls this year. That said, even without the Bucks playing I will still be watching them.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:54 pm

furls wrote:7. The Big East for existing (shout out to my boy MacPhisto)

Are there criteria for evaluating BCS auto birth?

At this point, why the Big east and not the MAC?

I'm being serious.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:44 pm

jb wrote:[
Are there criteria for evaluating BCS auto birth?

At this point, why the Big east and not the MAC?

I'm being serious.

Since they're changing it all in 2014 for the playoff anyways, it doesn't really matter. But the Big East wouldn't have held on to the autobid anyways. In 2014, the best champion from the "Group of Five" conferences (Big East, MAC, WAC, Sun Belt, MWC) will get an automatic bid to the "access" bowls.

Only one more year of this stuff, and then it all changes.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Return to College Sports Arena