Text Size

College Sports Arena

Interesting tOSU vs. scUM stuff.

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Interesting tOSU vs. scUM stuff.

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:40 am

FWIW, interesting stats/history:

1. The Buckeyes are now .500 in the series with scUM since Cooper took over as HC (remember he was 2-10-1) and the Buckeyes are now 10-2 in the series since he was fired, making them 12-12-1 since Earle Bruce was fired.

2. The Buckeyes are now 45-45-4 since recording their first win in the series (Chic Harley's 1919 team). Up until that point the Buckeyes were 0-13-2.

3. Looking back at the rivalry and the scores over the ages it is surprising how uneven this series has historically been. There are long stretches where one team dominates the other:
-the Cooper Era: 2-10-1
-the Tressel Era: 8-1 * (2010 results omitted)
-the early Wood Era: 11-4
-Late Woody era/early Bruce Era: 1-4
-the Dinosaur era (pre-1934): 6-21-1
-Tippy Dye Era: 4-0

I honestly believe we are starting (continuing?) another long run of tOSU dominance. Does anyone else here think that Hoke is going to equal what Meyer is doing in CBus? His recruiting class this year is enormously overrated and very short on playmakers. Unfortunately for scUM I think that Hoke's 11-2 season bought him a lot of time. Say 4-5 years of mediocrity, without Mattison that staff is garbage.

Hoke knows he needs to "Beat Ohio" to keep his job in the long term, but a bad B1G will probably keep him in AA for a while. I just don't see where he will be able to play with the monster that Meyer is bringing in.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Interesting tOSU vs. scUM stuff.

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:22 pm

furls wrote:FWIW, interesting stats/history:

1. The Buckeyes are now .500 in the series with scUM since Cooper took over as HC (remember he was 2-10-1) and the Buckeyes are now 10-2 in the series since he was fired, making them 12-12-1 since Earle Bruce was fired.

2. The Buckeyes are now 45-45-4 since recording their first win in the series (Chic Harley's 1919 team). Up until that point the Buckeyes were 0-13-2.

3. Looking back at the rivalry and the scores over the ages it is surprising how uneven this series has historically been. There are long stretches where one team dominates the other:
-the Cooper Era: 2-10-1
-the Tressel Era: 8-1 * (2010 results omitted)
-the early Wood Era: 11-4
-Late Woody era/early Bruce Era: 1-4
-the Dinosaur era (pre-1934): 6-21-1
-Tippy Dye Era: 4-0

I honestly believe we are starting (continuing?) another long run of tOSU dominance. Does anyone else here think that Hoke is going to equal what Meyer is doing in CBus? His recruiting class this year is enormously overrated and very short on playmakers. Unfortunately for scUM I think that Hoke's 11-2 season bought him a lot of time. Say 4-5 years of mediocrity, without Mattison that staff is garbage.

Hoke knows he needs to "Beat Ohio" to keep his job in the long term, but a bad B1G will probably keep him in AA for a while. I just don't see where he will be able to play with the monster that Meyer is bringing in.

Hoke is a MAC coach.

Christ, the first half they let him get away with.....the 2 QB crap is just nonsense -especially when one of them doesn't throw at all.

He'll be gone in about two more beatings.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:44 pm

He is a terrible coach. I think his attempts to reconnect with the alumni, boosters and donors coupled with an awful B1G will buy him a lot of time and a lot of bowl game and The Game skull stompings.

I think he is around 3-4 more years, based on that and last year's 11-2 season coupled with a bunch of 10-3 seasons in the near future. In order for him to get canned he needs to lose and looking at the B1G now, who is going to deliver those losses?

-OSU will deliver an L every year.
-Nebraska is decent and I expect scUM to win about 50% of those games.
-Wisco is on the decline.
-MSU is averagish and really isn't bringing much in over the next 2 years (recruiting).
-NW is plucky and will give them a game from time to time but will generally lose.
-ND has some real positive traction, not just this year, but they have some nice recruits coming in over the last 2 years and this year as well.

I only see 2-3 losses prior to bowl season. I think that is enough to keep him around especially as long as he is bringing in inflated recruiting classes implying a better future to come. His class this year is ranked ahead of tOSU's (thus far, OSU will land 5ish more players and pass them), but it really isn't that great. There are not a lot of kids in that class that even sniffed an OSU offer, but somehow they are still rated 4*'s (Taco Charlton for example). Based on the rankings alone, my friends that are scUM fans are convinced that this year is a hiccup on the road to recovery and they cite this year's class as clear indication that things are improving.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:24 pm

EVERY intelligent UM fan I know has wanted Borges canned all year and yesterday just made it worse. Having a guy like Shoelaces and trying to run him off tackle? Running your shit RBs into your shit O-Line right into the middle of OSU's D-Line?

Christ, if Borges/Hoke were creative MAC coaches they would have at least had the brains to attack OSU on the edge.....

And they would have been playing the right kid at QB (Gardner) for the last two year.

Mattison is a HELL of a coach, but Borges is a joke.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Mattison is an excellent coach, Borges and Hoke are awful.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:35 pm

For what Hoke needs to be in terms of recruiting and alumni relations I think he is fine (provided he finds a real OC).

His biggest problem right now is his weird recruiting tactic of locking up every Ohio kid OSU doesn't want early, adding everyone else early he can get his hands on and then refusing to let the kids make visits. The guy, by all accounts, is a phenomenal recruiter in the one v. one game, but that won't save an archaic approach to the entire process (nor will it save you from the very definition of a dinosaur at OC).
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:04 pm

Hoke is a figure head. The end. That is fine for Joe Pa or Bobby Bowden, but I am not sure that he has the cache to pull that off.

His recruiting tactics are STUPID. The problem is that often the kids he gets have their best offers from low level B1G schools and if they blow up they resent not taking visits (Conley) and if they don't then he successfully locked up players before they went to Purdue. He is always going to lose a couple of his better recruits late due to that tactic. Whereas if he had let the process play out he may have gotten them anyways. Also, you have to think that losing recruits late really has to hurt. How do you fill that hole when you have severed those relationships months ago because you thought you were full at that spot? You don't. You end up with a gap or settling for a lesser kid out of desperation.

Conley, Thomas and Dawson were the only kids I wanted out of scUM's entire class and 2 of the 3 decommitted. I think Kugler and Gedeon are going to be good players, but I don't think I would use one of OSU's schollies to fill their positions.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Return to College Sports Arena