Text Size

College Sports Arena

Maryland , Rutgers , & the B10(14)

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Maryland , Rutgers , & the B10(14)

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:47 am

B10 is exploring the idea of adding Rutgers, and Maryland. Which should double the coffers of the BTN. As far as athletically neither school is better then the 5th or 6th best B10 football team, but the addition of Maryland further enhances the already best BBALL conference in the country. I see no reason why this doesn't happen purely on market size.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Re: Maryland , Rutgers , & the B10(14)

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:55 pm

It is a TERRIBLE addition. Adds TV sets in markets that don't care from teams that add zero to the level of competition in the conference. Maryland is happy to be 7th in the ACC and Rutgers blows. No one cares about either team. Terrible additions.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Oh yeah, and Maryland is not that good at Hoops anymore.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:20 pm

It's not about competitiveness , it's about TV sets, Delany would add Princton and Fordam if he thought it would increase the BTN rateings.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:58 pm

It isn't even about ratings or even potential ratings. It is about the way cable companies do business. If the homes are in the BTN footprint (having a team within a certain proximity) they charge a higher rate. Adding MD and Rutgers is basically adding NYC and the Beltway and from a TV Revenue standpoint it makes sense, but in the long term it is a bad strategy (those two teams) because it dillutes the brand and adds TV sets that will go unwatched.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:27 pm

Urban can't wait for the addition of Rutgers. Hell. why not? another team that runs schemes he figured out 10 years ago.

Keep tryin' to win games 7-3 fellas.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:52 pm

It surprises me Maryland isn't better then it is. Its in the middle of good recruiting country plus it's got Under Armor founder Kevin Plank trying to make it Oregon East, and the kids these days love the flashy uni's. Maybe going to a higher visibility conference is what they need. Hell I thought A&M would get steam rolled in the SEC, but so far it's working out well for them.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:56 pm

So you're saying the B1G is soft enough for a slug like Maryland to compete? That's bad news, the conference should be getting tougher if they want more respect nationally. I'm not sure adding these teams does that.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:29 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:So you're saying the B1G is soft enough for a slug like Maryland to compete? That's bad news, the conference should be getting tougher if they want more respect nationally. I'm not sure adding these teams does that.

Your making the mistake of thinking Delaney gives two shits about the competitive prestige of the B10. If he really cared about how the B10 ranks in football nationally , or winning national championships , he wouldn't be so protective of his precious Rosé Bowl. He is out to fill coffers. That's his only goal.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:57 pm

I can respect that, but you have to protect the brand (some) in order to protect future revenues. Unfortunately, like Wall St. investment bankers, he just will not be able to control himself around the $$$ even if it means he cannot make money anymore tomorrow.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:56 pm

Maryland and Rutgers add lots of eyes, expand the footprint into two more contiguous states, increase the CIC involvement, and stick it again to Notre Dame.

Outside of that, I'm not too confident in their inclusions into the B1G. Maybe it's a destabilization move, but I'm not sure where the targets would be (Va Tech? UVa/UNC? I wouldn't think UNC would ever leave Duke and NC State behind). The ACC's pretty secure as a "power" conference, although they do seem to be in a lower tier of the 5, with the B1G/Pac/SEC driving the train.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:03 pm

How do those two, "Stick it to ND?"

They are a terrible addition, Delaney is trading the brand for the eyeballs. Unfortunately if the brand gets bad enough the eyeballs go away.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby kman_holla8 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:39 am

If Delaney is serious about the brand he should go get Syracuse. Rutgers isn't to bad of an addition, considering it adds the NYC market. However there has to be better opitions out there aside from Pitt, UMD, and Big East teams. I think they should've tried harder for Missouri with the St.Louis and KC market eyeballs.
"Cocaine is a hell of a drug" - Originated from a famous skit in Dave Chappelle's "Chappelle's Show". The skit would portray Rick James, usually high on cocaine, preforming doing crazy and stupid things, such as smacking Charlie Murphy in the face. Rick James would frequently explain away his actions by saying "Cocaine is a hell of a drug".
kman_holla8

Favorite Player: Swish
Least Favorite Player: Fair Weather Fans

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:24 am

furls wrote:How do those two, "Stick it to ND?"

They are a terrible addition, Delaney is trading the brand for the eyeballs. Unfortunately if the brand gets bad enough the eyeballs go away.

It introduces instability into the ACC again. Which is what ND was trying to avoid by joining for most of its sports (and the scheduling agreement). Really, Maryland seems like it's having a bunch of sour grapes over the ND deal with the ACC. They also weren't happy with the 50 million exit fee (along with Florida State).

I'm not sure if there are other programs that would really not dilute the brand (outside of nailing down Notre Dame, and that's not going to happen, ever). If the objectives of expansion are to gain enhanced markets and keep up with demographic shifts in population, then MD/Rutgers have to be part of the equation. We'll have to see how it goes in the future, but I think that there have been questionable moves in expansion so far, particularly the Pac-12 bringing in Colorado and the SEC bringing in Mizzou.
fairvis

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:39 am

fairvis wrote: ... We'll have to see how it goes in the future, but I think that there have been questionable moves in expansion so far, particularly the Pac-12 bringing in Colorado and the SEC bringing in Mizzou...

Good Point . Its not like the B1G is the only conference to sacrifice competitiveness for $'s. They have all done it, to include the gods conference. If the SEC was really all about making a better product, they would have tried harder to lure Texas, OU, or FSU. Not settle for Mizzou.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:03 am

fairvis wrote:
furls wrote:How do those two, "Stick it to ND?"

It introduces instability into the ACC again. Which is what ND was trying to avoid by joining for most of its sports (and the scheduling agreement). Really, Maryland seems like it's having a bunch of sour grapes over the ND deal with the ACC. They also weren't happy with the 50 million exit fee (along with Florida State).

Then they should go after Florida State & Rutgers. Then they get the additional eyeballs, and some increased competition. All they lose is Reigonality, and really, who gives a shit about that?
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:40 am

Maryland is in. Per everybody.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... g-ten-move

Still no 14th team in the discussions.
fairvis

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:59 pm

OK, now Rutgers is getting confirmations.

I still don't know the end game in all of this. But in Delany I trust.
fairvis

Unread postby pup » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:03 pm

End game? Make sure there are more eyes on B1G network than the SEC/Pac-12/Texas or any other college network that lives.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:29 pm

re competition and Maryland: "How many Big Ten teams have three 10-win seasons and FIVE 9-win seasons since 2001? Seriously how many? maybe 3?"
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:39 pm

True, and if I recall correctly one of those 10 win teams got the piss kicked out of them by the Gators in a Bowl game.

So they should fit right in, right?
Sea Foam Green

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:So you're saying the B1G is soft enough for a slug like Maryland to compete? That's bad news, the conference should be getting tougher if they want more respect nationally. I'm not sure adding these teams does that.

This ^^^^^^^

There goes the neighborhood, eh?

How many does that make now in The Big 10... 14?
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby ole uncle charle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:57 pm

pup wrote:End game? Make sure there are more eyes on B1G network than the SEC/Pac-12/Texas or any other college network that lives.

This move by its self doesn't do that. It adds those markets but gives to compelling reason to watch...yet. Adding these two markets is an attempt to make the B$6 more acctractive to the next two schools it adds. Two 8 team divisions makes too much sense at this point. I just hope the next 2 schools are not from the east cause that would make this conference total shit.
ole uncle charle

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:49 pm

I will say this, anyone who has ever spent anytime in Baltimore knows that the Maryland v. PSU rivalry will be a big one. That town is split on those two schools. Hell they should play the games there.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Govbarney wrote:I will say this, anyone who has ever spent anytime in Baltimore knows that the Maryland v. PSU rivalry will be a big one. That town is split on those two schools. Hell they should play the games there.

Maryland may have to to accomodate demand. Happy Valley seats 107,000... and Maryland's stadium only seats ~50,000.

Rutgers will probably have some games in the Meadowlands as well. Would definitely help them make some money for those big games - and they'd still probably get some carryover for the games versus Indiana.

I think this move is a kick to the ACC. FSU's chomping at the bit to head to the Big XII, and probably go there with Clemson (and maybe Miami as well). If that happens, the SEC could move to pick up Va Tech and potentially one of the Carolina schools... then the ACC could completely implode.

The B1G is literally printing money for all of its members. And that's what is in the public knowledge now. UMD can make $100 million more in the B1G then ACC by 2020. That's a hell of quick return on investment.
fairvis

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Oh fuck yeah! I can't wait for that Maryland/PSU game....... to be on a noon on ESPN 14 with Beth Mowins calling the game.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Oh fuck yeah! I can't wait for that Maryland/PSU game....... to be on a noon on ESPN 14 with Beth Mowins calling the game.

Are you really trying to question the awesomeness of the Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy....?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambert-Meadowlands_Trophy
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby pup » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:19 pm

ole uncle charle wrote:
pup wrote:End game? Make sure there are more eyes on B1G network than the SEC/Pac-12/Texas or any other college network that lives.

This move by its self doesn't do that. It adds those markets but gives to compelling reason to watch...yet. Adding these two markets is an attempt to make the B$6 more acctractive to the next two schools it adds. Two 8 team divisions makes too much sense at this point. I just hope the next 2 schools are not from the east cause that would make this conference total shit.

Actually, IIRC it does. The home market of any team in the B1G has to add the B1G Network to its basic cable package. So, if you are a Buckeye fan in NYC, and you have not previously paid for the sports package, you now get the network. So even if Rutgers fans don't watch games, Buckeye fans will. or scUM.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:41 am

Sea Foam Green

Unread postby fairvis » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:51 am

pup wrote:Actually, IIRC it does. The home market of any team in the B1G has to add the B1G Network to its basic cable package. So, if you are a Buckeye fan in NYC, and you have not previously paid for the sports package, you now get the network. So even if Rutgers fans don't watch games, Buckeye fans will. or scUM.

I got the Big Ten Network when I lived in Alabama. So the hardcore fans most likely have some way of accessing it (generally by buying the sports tier, which was another $5/month that I had to give over to Comcast). What it'll do is push it onto expanded basic, which will certainly up the people carrying it. In the Big Ten states, they were able to up the fee from 0.10/customer to 1.10/customer, and insisted on expanded basic. The cable companies gave in, for the most part.

Since Comcast carries it already, as does FIOS, Cablevision, etc. (and FIOS has it on its basic tier) a lot of the NYC/Philly/Baltimore/DC area is already covered. The only thing would be how much they can increase the rate now that they're in the footprint regions.
fairvis

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:40 pm

Latest Twitter buzz has Delany looking at Boston College and Virginia. Two more gems.

Not that anybody cares, but Boston College would be a great addition to the Big Ten Conference in college hockey, which will replace and re-align the CCHA for the 13-14 season.

Again, it doesn't matter in terms of money, TV sets, etc., but it's about the only silver lining of adding BC to the conference.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:57 pm

I often wonder why they dont target VTech? Huge Fan base, would definitely get more people tuning into the BTN then Maryland or Rutgers.

Three Schools I keep hearing about are Kansas, Georgia Tech, and North Carolina. B/c they are all Members of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (two big factors on luring Rutgers and Maryland.)

Maybe Delaney just likes BBALL more then FBALL?
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby furls » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:00 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Oh fuck yeah! I can't wait for that Maryland/PSU game....... to be on a noon on ESPN 14 with Beth Mowins calling the game.

Don't be stupid, Mowins will be calling the OSU vs. Rutgers game just to taunt you!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:34 pm

furls wrote:

Don't be stupid, Mowins will be calling the OSU vs. Rutgers game just to taunt you!

Any chance they play the Maryland /PSU rivalry game at a stadium that has a track surrounding the field?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:28 pm

Mowins is the new Pam Ward!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:23 pm

So, Rittenberg's actually saying what I've been thinking.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/i ... -is-itself

It's not necessarily the teams themselves. It's the PSU/Rutgers game selling out the Meadowlands and PSU/Maryland selling out M&T and getting a decent share in NYC/DC. It's about the alumni base in NYC and DC of the major B1G schools following the games locally, and buying those tickets, and making an inroads into the recruiting grounds so that instead of the kids thinking ACC, they're thinking about that Indiana game they went to when they were 10 because the tickets were cheap.
fairvis

Return to College Sports Arena