Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Boardwalk Empire

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Re: Boardwalk Empire

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:He looks like Anastasia, but if they were going to bring in AA, why not just call him by his actual name and not a made up character.

Anastasia was in charge of Murder Inc and a legitimate psychopath.

Same Reason Nucky became Nucky "Thompson" instead of the real Nucky "Johnson."

It gives the writers more room to do what they want without the history people crying foul.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:02 pm

Wow. Quite the finish to that episode.

The shovel to the head by Gyp and then Slater being sent to Nucky in a crate.

Capone and Eli will step up for Nucky. And someone from Rothstein's crew is gonna pay for tipping off Masseria.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:17 am

swerb wrote:Wow. Quite the finish to that episode.

Capone and Eli will step up for Nucky. And someone from Rothstein's crew is gonna pay for tipping off Masseria.

I knew the moment Owen was sent to take care of Masseria it was going to end bad. Shame, Owen was a GREAT character.
justmebd

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:28 am

justmebd wrote:
swerb wrote:Wow. Quite the finish to that episode.

I knew the moment Owen was sent to take care of Masseria it was going to end bad. Shame, Owen was a GREAT character.

Yeah, it was obvious as soon as he said he could handle it with a small crew in the meeting with Nucky. I wish they would have showed that scene of him getting killed, but they elected to go with the shock and awe of Mrs. Nucky seeing the crate opened.

Be interesting to see if Nucky goes after Luciano, Rothstein, the short bald guy ... or all of em. Not knowing what really happened in history and how close they wanna stick to that.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:32 am

So.... Instead of placing a bomb in a crowded restaurant and killing dozens of innocent civilians, all Gyp really had to do was mail Nucky a large unmarked package at 4'oclock in the morning.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:19 am

Govbarney wrote:So.... Instead of placing a bomb in a crowded restaurant and killing dozens of innocent civilians, all Gyp really had to do was mail Nucky a large unmarked package at 4'oclock in the morning.

Or was Gyp's intentions to take out Nucky, Rothstein, Luciano, etc?

Previews seem to show Chalky aligning with someone, although they make it vague as to who. Obviously Nucky will come out of this, so you wonder whether it's Chalky or Capone that gets him there. Chalky and Capone are two of my top 3 characters on this show, so either way it should be fun.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:33 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:
Govbarney wrote:So.... Instead of placing a bomb in a crowded restaurant and killing dozens of innocent civilians, all Gyp really had to do was mail Nucky a large unmarked package at 4'oclock in the morning.

Or was Gyp's intentions to take out Nucky, Rothstein, Luciano, etc?

Previews seem to show Chalky aligning with someone, although they make it vague as to who. Obviously Nucky will come out of this, so you wonder whether it's Chalky or Capone that gets him there. Chalky and Capone are two of my top 3 characters on this show, so either way it should be fun.

Capone and the real Nucky were friends, so I see Capone coming in and taking Rosetti out himself. Capone is the only one who could take on Masseria and get away with it.

As for Rothstein, I don't want to spoil anything for those who don't know the history since he's a little less well known than most of the other gangsters. Obviously we all know Luciano isn't going anywhere until the Feds deport him much later in his life.
justmebd

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:58 pm

justmebd wrote:As for Rothstein, I don't want to spoil anything for those who don't know the history since he's a little less well known than most of the other gangsters. Obviously we all know Luciano isn't going anywhere until the Feds deport him much later in his life.

I know that the time frame we are working with would open it up for them to include Rothstein's death, but I wonder how much liberty they will take with the actual events. The reason I bring this up is because he seemed to be interested in the heroin plans of Lansky/Luciano, but wanted them to wait. Now that they've moved on with Masseria, I wonder if the writers of the show will align Rothstein with Nucky to close out this season? That's just a wild guess, I don't know.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Lucciano tipped off Joe the Boss. He told him Nucky was going to make a move while trying to get him to back the heroin deal since Rothstein passed for the time being.

If I was Nucky, I would send Harrow to watch and stalk Masseria. All he needs is one clear shot from about any sniper's vantage point.

I could listen to Stephen Root's character talk for hours......
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:54 pm

Great episode. Battle lines drawn.

Previews make the final episode of the season look ridiculously good.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Fucking awesome set-up

Over/under on how many people Harrow kills is...?

Dude is gonna be a fucking one man army
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:32 pm

Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:Fucking awesome set-up

That last scene was the tits, as my one British friend would say.

CAN NOT WAIT for next week and I'm so glad this series is getting at least one more season.
justmebd

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:03 am

justmebd wrote:
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:Fucking awesome set-up

That last scene was the tits, as my one British friend would say.

CAN NOT WAIT for next week and I'm so glad this series is getting at least one more season.

The gangsters think they know how to kill....

Ha Ha
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Unread postby mitch » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:53 am

"I need a bath, some chow, and then you and me sit down and talk about who dies".

Best line of the year.

But seeing Harrow stocking up the arsenal to the drums beating was the best scene...only because we all are anticipating him going Full DeNiro on everyone next week.
mitch

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ben Toothlessburger

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:42 pm

Eli has much to prove...here's hoping he rises to the occasion and lives
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Thinking Harrow is going to die in the finale. Once the whore is gone, his story line loses substance. This series already has enough terrible female roles bringing it down without having to add another. He's gonna take down the whorehouse, and a chunk of Gyp's men, and then he goes down with it. Great character, but not much future. They're gonna take him out while his stock is high.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:42 pm

jb wrote:
swerb wrote:Epic Nucky/Gyp Rosetti feud lined up for this season.

Think its safe to say that burning the sheriff alive is a sign that Gyp isn't gonna take his liquor and head back to NY.

Be interesting to see if Gyp can get to Jimmy's mom and/or half/face.

Great start to this season.

I see Gyp stopping at nothing less than making a play for AC.

Owen is a bit character this season. I see Gyp taking him out and Nukkie having to turn to Ely for help.

I love Mickey Doyle.

Bump.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:57 pm

Only question is whether they wrap up the gang war this season of if it is the cliffhanger for next season?
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:58 pm

mitch wrote:"I need a bath, some chow, and then you and me sit down and talk about who dies".

Best line of the year.

+ 1
jb

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:59 pm

Bayou Tribe wrote:Thinking Harrow is going to die in the finale. Once the whore is gone, his story line loses substance. This series already has enough terrible female roles bringing it down without having to add another. He's gonna take down the whorehouse, and a chunk of Gyp's men, and then he goes down with it. Great character, but not much future. They're gonna take him out while his stock is high.

I wonder about harow - is he going down in a suicide mission or is he going to kill for the puirpose of taking the kid and the lady and getting outta Dodge?
jb

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:29 pm

jb wrote:
Bayou Tribe wrote:Thinking Harrow is going to die in the finale. Once the whore is gone, his story line loses substance. This series already has enough terrible female roles bringing it down without having to add another. He's gonna take down the whorehouse, and a chunk of Gyp's men, and then he goes down with it. Great character, but not much future. They're gonna take him out while his stock is high.

I wonder about harow - is he going down in a suicide mission or is he going to kill for the puirpose of taking the kid and the lady and getting outta Dodge?

I think his intent will be to get outta Dodge with the girl and the kid but that he ends up getting taken out. While I think they're gonna cliffhanger this war for next season, they'll definitely kill off at least one main character next week, and he seems to be a likely candidate.

And BTW, nice call on Gyp JB.

Can't wait for Capone to be a more regular character. This show has gone from Good to Great to I Can't Effing Wait For 9 PM On Sundays.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:45 pm

Te slow burn they pulled off with Harrow this season is incredible. Every episode, just nudge him a little bit farther, and the payoff is going to fantastic.

Harrow is such a great character. He's arguably completely insane and also the sanest character on the show. And the performance, wow.

Let's hope one of the bullets in that arsenal of his has Grandma's name on it.

What a great show.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:36 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Te slow burn they pulled off with Harrow this season is incredible. Every episode, just nudge him a little bit farther, and the payoff is going to fantastic.

Harrow is such a great character. He's arguably completely insane and also the sanest character on the show. And the performance, wow.

Let's hope one of the bullets in that arsenal of his has Grandma's name on it.

What a great show.

There's no way Gillian makes it out of the finale alive, and Harrow will be the last face she sees.

I also think Harrow survives. I think the writers WANT to keep him around for another season.

Hell, I could watch a show about Harrow.
justmebd

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:19 pm

I was wrong about Gillian -- maybe.

Glad I was right about Harrow.

That episode was EVERYTHING I wanted it to be.
justmebd

Unread postby Govbarney » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:20 pm

Not bad, not bad at all. Harrow's rampaging was by far the best part of the episode.

I know this would never happen especially on HBO, but does any one else feel that the Capone N. Side of Chicago story should have its own spin off.

Also I know there is allot of Gillian hate on this thread but her last scene talking to Nucky was great.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby swerb » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:57 pm

Great finale. Pretty much how we thought. Harrow survives. Be interesting to see what way they go with next season.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:51 am

Terence Winter Interview with Entertainment Weekly. He clarifies Gillian's fate and drops hints about Season Four. Good Read.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/02/board ... -3-finale/
justmebd

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:57 pm

justmebd wrote:Terence Winter Interview with Entertainment Weekly. He clarifies Gillian's fate and drops hints about Season Four. Good Read.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/02/board ... -3-finale/

I will be really disappointing if they end the show in 1929, so much good gangster shit happens in the early 30s , like the rise of Albert Anastasia, and Luciano's power grab and the killing of Joe Masseria.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:59 pm

Best season so far, and I loved the season finale. They really set up some nice future plot lines and wrapped up the AC war pretty well. I do wish they had expanded on the Dion O'Bannion character more, they pretty much introduced him, linked him Van Alden, and then bailed on him. But season 4 should be heavy on the Chicago story line, the North/South side wars and the transition of power from Torrio to Capone.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Bringing it back.

Less than one more week, gents.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:22 pm

They should do a prequel. Nucky's rise to replace the Commodore, younger Eli, and end with Jimmy and Richard's experiences in WWI.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:41 am

It's going to be hard to top last season, but I'm really looking forward to the return of this show.

It's just going to be frustrating having to wait an extra hour to watch Breaking Bad for the first few weeks. I don't have HBO and have to go to my friend's house to watch it.

Good thing the Browns don't have any Sunday night games. Then again, I think I'd watch BW and BB over the Browns right now.
justmebd

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:05 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:They should do a prequel. Nucky's rise to replace the Commodore, younger Eli, and end with Jimmy and Richard's experiences in WWI.

That'd be an awesome idea for a gangster classic.

You should write hollywood.
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:07 am

justmebd wrote:It's going to be hard to top last season, but I'm really looking forward to the return of this show.

It's just going to be frustrating having to wait an extra hour to watch Breaking Bad for the first few weeks. I don't have HBO and have to go to my friend's house to watch it.

Good thing the Browns don't have any Sunday night games. Then again, I think I'd watch BW and BB over the Browns right now.

Read any teasers? There's some brother on the previews lookin all Shug. maybe swinging Chalkly into a key role this season, which is good.

I'm just glad Gillian is dead. Plot drag.

Concern there will be lots of dead time with Maggie and Nucky post dalliances.
Really, I could care less about these two.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:24 am

They left Gillian as kind of a cliffhanger if I remember right, she was still sorta alive in hallway after the shootout.

The black dude in the previews sounds like Fishburne in Higher Learning.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:21 pm

I'm looking forward to the season, but I miss Gyp Rosetti already.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby jb » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:47 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:They left Gillian as kind of a cliffhanger if I remember right, she was still sorta alive in hallway after the shootout.

The black dude in the previews sounds like Fishburne in Higher Learning.

Ahh, hell. Thought she was dead.
jb

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:05 pm

She's listed as a character appearing in season 4.

But Ron Livingston is joining the cast, so that's pretty cool.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:13 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:She's listed as a character appearing in season 4.

But Ron Livingston is joining the cast, so that's pretty cool.

Nice!

Great character actor like Buschemi. Hope he gets featured.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:18 pm

Show's getting better.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:52 pm

I hope they do something good with Van Alden this season. Last year it seemed like they didn't know what to use him for but kept his character going just enough to give Michael Shannon to do. Because Michael Shannon is awesome.

I hope he gets sucked in deeper to Capone's crew...and then Nucky takes a trip to Chicago.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby jb » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:22 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I hope they do something good with Van Alden this season. Last year it seemed like they didn't know what to use him for but kept his character going just enough to give Michael Shannon to do. Because Michael Shannon is awesome.

I hope he gets sucked in deeper to Capone's crew...and then Nucky takes a trip to Chicago.

Needs:
More capone
More ganstaers
More political AC infighting
More van alden
More Eli / Nucky

Less:
Maggie
Gillian
jb

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:19 pm

jb wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:I hope they do something good with Van Alden this season. Last year it seemed like they didn't know what to use him for but kept his character going just enough to give Michael Shannon to do. Because Michael Shannon is awesome.

Needs:
More capone
More ganstaers
More political AC infighting
More van alden
More Eli / Nucky

Less:
Maggie
Gillian

Screeners went out to reviewers, and they're all saying the first episode is bloody with our man Harrow doing some killing.

CAN'T WAIT!
justmebd

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Michael Shannon has a big, interesting face. He plays a man devoid of humor. When he smiles, it looks painful. Dude can act.

I think you're definitely going to see more Capone, I get the feeling they're gonna speed up the timeline on the Chicago beer wars. Lots of shootings/beatings/stabbings.

I'm not sure Harrow can top his Angel of Death act to end last season. Character wise, how he fits into the plot, i'm not sure how much more mileage you can get out of him. I hate seeing a good character getting shoehorned into the story.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby jb » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Episode 1 - KP4.

No real earth shattering set ups or openers.

Do wonder about what Harrow's role is long-term.
jb

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:47 pm

jb wrote:Episode 1 - KP4.

No real earth shattering set ups or openers.

Do wonder about what Harrow's role is long-term.

This definitely was a table-setting episode, and my one complaint is the episode had no internal narrative closure. It was just an Act 1 with a cut to credits (With lots of boobs. Hooray, Boobs!!).

It's still better than most other TV, but I think the writers were thinking too "big picture" when they put this episode to bed.

I will echo the Warming Glow reviewer's quote: I would watch a show that was just about Harrow wandering around the Midwest shooting people.

He's going to be around a long time. They didn't send him home to Wisconsin on a whim -- there's a plan there.
justmebd

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:55 pm

I liked when Melvin killed that guy with the bottle. Nucky kicking that chick out was pretty funny.

And I told you, they're gonna ruin Harrow. He should have died on Julia's doorstep after saving Tommy.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:02 am

I already like Dr. Narcisse after one episode. Dude is cold and calculating. I'm not sure if they're setting him up as the main antagonist or not. Van Alden has gone from a domineering figure with the Prohibition Agency, to a meek guy trying to eek out a living working for people he fears.

I was surprised to see them bring in J. Edgar Hoover. I really have no idea where they're going with Harrow. I have no interest in seeing him live a farm life.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:53 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I already like Dr. Narcisse after one episode. Dude is cold and calculating. I'm not sure if they're setting him up as the main antagonist or not. Van Alden has gone from a domineering figure with the Prohibition Agency, to a meek guy trying to eek out a living working for people he fears.

I was surprised to see them bring in J. Edgar Hoover. I really have no idea where they're going with Harrow. I have no interest in seeing him live a farm life.

Harrow was scarred emotionally by last year's shootout, this is his attempt to "move on."

It won't work as we already are starting to see. He'll be back in Jersey soon, more ruthless than ever.
justmebd

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:01 am

With Dr. Narcisse comes a pretty cool new plot setting: The Harlem Renaissance.

I am pretty sure his character is loosely based on Marcus Garvey.
Last edited by Govbarney on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

PreviousNext

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture