Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Your Top 10 Cleveland Sports Broadcasters Ever

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Your Top 10 Cleveland Sports Broadcasters Ever

Unread postby aclayman » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:36 pm

As part of some "field research" for a new article, I thought I would throw this one out to the wolves. Who would be your top 10 broadcasters in Cleveland sports history? We're talkin' play-by-play guys, color commentators, talk radio personalities, TV reporters, etc. For good measure, feel free to throw in a Worst 5, too.

Focus should be on Browns/Cavs/Indians guys. But if there is a CSU or old Barons announcer you thought was amazing, by all means.

I have my own opinions but wanted to take the readership pulse. Thanks much.
aclayman

Favorite Player: Andy Allanson
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bando

Re: Your Top 10 Cleveland Sports Broadcasters Ever

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 pm

1. Paul Olden
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Hammy
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:37 pm

To me, Tait in a class by himself. Than Nev. Than a huge gap to the next one.

And I got the same problem with Hammy as I did with Herb Score, that is, going apeshit on balls that don't even make the warning track.

As far as the worst goes, Cleveland is littered with guys that don't put two seconds of work into their jobs - Casey Coleman was a classic example. Followed along on the radio by guys like Rizzo and Roda.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:54 pm

1) Joe Tait
2) Hamilton
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby jerryroche » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:55 pm

Tait No. 1. The best, hands down. Gotta stick him up there with the best in the nation, ever. He could describe the action on the court perfectly—as it was happening, no easy task in the fast-moving game of basketball. "Wham with the right hand!!!"

Otherwise, off the top of my head, Jimmy Dudley (Indians) and Jim Graner (Browns). Loved Dudley's rapid-fire staccato delivery, which I remember from my days growing up in the '50s. And Graner was at the mike during the 1964 NFL championship game, which might have been the most-listened-to sports event in the city's history, due to the fact that the televised version was blacked out here.

There are more, but those three definitely stand out.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Ol' No.23

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:57 pm

He wasn't a good sportscaster, but Mudcat Grant could be entertaining in a goofy way when the Tribe was not entertaining. "A little chiiin music."

I love Doug Dieken but he can't put a sentence together without stumbling or stammering.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Squints » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:12 pm

1. Hamilton
2. Tate
3. Chandler
4. Drennan
5. Donovan
6. Score
7. Dieken
8. Hegan
9. Coleman
10. Sindelar

Hamilton, Tate and Chandler are 3 of the 4 Mt. Rushmore heads of Clevland sports announcers. The others speak for themselves. Always liked Hegan's calm demeanor against Hamilton and he gave ex-player info for the fans and broadcasting partners without the pompousness like Manning.

For demographic purposes- I just turned 36, child of the 80's-early 90's so my list is skewed toward that direction, even though some of these guys are still going strong. I am too young to remember Gib Shanley as anything other than the sports reporter for channel 43.

Worst.

1. Hammer/Fedor. That is just too easy.
2. John Saunders. zzzzzzzz.
3. Matt Underwood. Went to a few Winter Caravans in Erie a few years ago- had that "I don't want to be here" look and attitude. At least try to fake it bro.
4. Rick Manning. Pompus bastard. Every time I go to Cooperstown, I look for his plaque and it is still not there.
5. Wayland Boot. Thought I'd throw out some obscure tv reporter from the 80's, but it turns out he was the precursor to the Hammer/Fedor persona.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:19 pm

Gib Shanley, if for nothing more than lighting an Iranian flag on fire during a live studio broadcast.

Pre-cable TV gold. The response from the rest of the crew is priceless. Should be archived in the Smithsonian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2oE97THk28
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby jerryroche » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:45 am

The list wouldn't be complete without Pete Franklin on there somewhere. Guy didn't take any B.S. from anybody, and he knew his stuff! Maybe the first—and forever the best—anti-homer sportscaster in radio history.
jerryroche

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:28 am

Austin Carr
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby andrew6586 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:38 am

I don't have the great memory of Cleveland sports casters because I'm only 26. But for me, Hammy is the best. I grew up listening to him and have loved his play by play. I didn't get into the Cavs until I went to college at John Carroll so I only have about 6 years listening to Joe Tait. He was great though. I also like Donovan on the Browns games. His energy makes the Browns listenable even when they aren't watchable.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:44 am

Joe Tait is a legend.

Tom Hamilton is so much fun to listen to, especially when the Indians are losing.

I don't hear TV broadcasters when I remember 80's Browns games, I hear Nev Chandler.

Everyone else in the middle.

BIG DROP to the craptastic guys like Hamilton's current partner who shall not be named, or as I refer to him, "Captain Nasal Tone."
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:17 am

It's hard to argue with Tait and Nev as being in a class by themselves, Hammy not too far behind. Nev in particular was my favorite, in large part b/c of his ability to put you in the stadium even though you were listening in your car. He was exceptional at knowing exactly when to raise your heart rate and when to calm you down by acknowledging the comedy of errors that came with some of our Browns teams.

Plus with Nev you always knew which way the Browns were going on your radio dial.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby jerryroche » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:44 am

Would like to nominate Aaron Goldhammer as worst the sports broadcaster of any type in the history of Cleveland radio/television.

But I won't. The guy would probably like being included on any list, so I won't give him the pleasure. Plus, I stopped listening to him years ago, so maybe he's changed. (Yeah, right.)
jerryroche

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 am

If this includes TV broadcasters?

The list begins with the one and olny Wayland Boot. Everyone else is playing for second.

1. Boot
2. Pete Franklin
3. Gib Shanley, for being ornery and buring the Iriania flag
4. Nev - God I miss him and the real Browns so much
5. Joe Tait in the 70's before he got so full of himself. He was a parody after Stepien
6. Bruce Drennan - is to this market broadcasting what Michale Stanley is to pop rock. Not good but there is just something about him being full Cleveland
7. Hammy - Just not summer without him on the radio
8. Herb Score - See # 7. baseball on the radio as background is far superior to anything else
9. Jimmy Donovan. Phil Dawson: Players :: Jimmy: broadcasters
10. Tie: Chuck Galetti & Les Levine - They just know how to run professional talk shows that don't take themelves so seriously. Levine is meh now but when he was on WHK he was outstanding
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:05 am

jerryroche wrote:Would like to nominate Aaron Goldhammer as worst the sports broadcaster of any type in the history of Cleveland radio/television.

But I won't. The guy would probably like being included on any list, so I won't give him the pleasure. Plus, I stopped listening to him years ago, so maybe he's changed. (Yeah, right.)

Hammer is freaking Jim McKay compared to Fedor.
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:16 am

Nev

FUDU

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:11 pm

1. Tait - just for the MoR season alone

1a - Nev - no words can explain what he brought to the radio broadcast. Every Browns fan in 1986 will always remember the term "Pandemonium Palace"

2 -Sweet Pete

3- Hamilton - reasons given upthread

4- Herb Score - just because I enjoyed him stumbling over the tandem of Vizquel and Vizcaino or the deep fly ball caught by the shortstop

JB nailed Levine on WHK. Hell, even Rizzo wasn't as annoying w/ Brinas on 'HK

I even enjoyed Shanley and Jim Muellar calling the Browns games

Wayland Boot in one word....Bodacious!

No love for Thor Tolo?
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby c11058 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:51 pm

Surprised that no one has brought up Michael Reghi in the worst category. Maybe he's become too irrelevant. Mr. Articulate; He's the king of using little catch phrases and fancy terms when simple words would suffice. His arrogant, all-knowing attitude puts him as a second stringer but he believes he's top tier, I'm sure. Can't stand the douche.....
c11058

Favorite Player: Omar Vizquel
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:02 pm

c11058 wrote:Surprised that no one has brought up Michael Reghi in the worst category. Maybe he's become too irrelevant. Mr. Articulate; He's the king of using little catch phrases and fancy terms when simple words would suffice. His arrogant, all-knowing attitude puts him as a second stringer but he believes he's top tier, I'm sure. Can't stand the douche.....

Fred McLeod isn't much better, but yes I think Reghi is just irrelevant. Do Andre Knott and Mary Kay count since they are on TV? They are terrible individually and together.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Love Andre as a fellow fan. Love the homers, who care about what I care about. Deek.

I was a kid learning to love the Browns listening to Shanley. The high pitched guys like Nev and Donovan are ok, but not tops in my mind.

This is so subjective, but I agree on Tait and Hamilton- since so many agree, that says something.

Good sarcastic call on Olden by Lead, I think. Herb Score used to diss him. When you are dissed by the nicest man alive, you must really deserve it.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:57 pm

1.Joe Tait- He is right up there with Caewood Ledford for me. I grew up on both, and looking back, I couldn't of had two better dudes paint the game for me over that little transistor I had stuffed between my pillows. I could always tell if the Cavs were doing good or bad if I tuned in to the middle of a game, by how Joe was calling it. It was in his voice. He was pretty damn good at baseball by what I remember, and have heard others say that as well.
2. Nev. Nev may not have been great by national standards or even his professions standards, but I loved listening to him call the games, and maybe it had something to with us being competitive during his time, but he was great in my book.
3. Jim Donavon. He is fast and does a great job of describing the action. I think, if he can hang around for another 10 years or so, he will go down as one of the better ones around here.
4. Hammy. He is pretty damn good, I don't care what anyone else says, although the Toyota commercials didn't sit well with me, cause of my American first mentality, but Hammy is one of the best out there today, and that may speak volumes about the level of suckage of baseball radio broadcasters in general nationally, but Hammy is pretty damn good at what he does.
5.Gib. I think, my memory gets him an Nev mixed up, but I am running out of great ones, so Gib goes here.
6. Herb Score. He was awful, but he was ours. Something has to be said for longevity and well he was ours.
7. Jimmy Dudely. Never heard him, but he did it long enough, and had of been better than the guys available to add to the list.
8. Drennan. Guy was alright doing baseball on TV. I don't remember him doing radio.
9. Doug Dieken. He is ours. Not the greatest, but he is ours, kind of like Herbie was.
10. Mike Hegan. I liked him working with Hammy.
WarAdmiral

Unread postby Spin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:35 pm

Squints wrote:5. Wayland Boot. Thought I'd throw out some obscure tv reporter from the 80's, but it turns out he was the precursor to the Hammer/Fedor persona.

Let's not forget Thor Tolo. Was replaced by Wayland Boot (as I reminded him on his WKNR talk show). WKNR, go figure.

Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:10 pm

My major issue with Fedor is he seems rather ignorant towards say, the importance of the history of his own field. The Jim McKay comment made earlier? Yeah, he wouldn't know whom that was if it bite him on the ass.

Not that it's to be expected, I mean, interview any sportsfan his or my age, chances are they wouldn't know whom the hell a Jim McKay, Keith Jackson or a Howard Cossell was. But when you're just saying stuff like:

"Oh hey, LOL, That Don Criqui dude is REALLY old, and he sucks!"

I at times have a hard time taking the guy seriously. I mean, you're in Sports Journalism, at least kind of understand why the guy is calling a Bills-Browns game instead of trashing him.

My question is, is Baldwin-Wallace's journalism school that bad if he's not even remotely knowledgeable on some of the past history of sports or the media?

As for my list? I can't really contribute. I was either very young or not alive during most of the people listed. I guess I'll go Hammy, Tait, and Jimmy Donovan, who is probably the best play by play in the NFL in my opinion.
Last edited by Triple-S on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby swerb » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:31 pm

1. Tait
2. Nev
3. Hammy

Big drop off to #4.

My earliest years of listening to sports talk radio was Pete Franklins last couple years and then Sindelar, who I loved as a kid. I've always liked Drennan. And Galeti as well. Herb Score would have to be in my top 10 as well.

Not a Donovan fan. Dieken is meh. The pair does little for me. Some of it may be the product these last 13 years.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jerryroche » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Triple-S wrote:My question is, is Baldwin-Wallace's journalism school that bad if he's not even remotely knowledgeable on some of the past history of sports or the media?

They've never taught sports history in journalism. And those guys on the radio aren't really into journalism anyway. Even though they may claim to be "sports journalists," they're into sports talk, a whole different animal.

But you're right: the guy has no concept of his "ancestry" — which is pretty ridiculous, in and of itself.
jerryroche

Unread postby aclayman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:14 am

Apparently Fedor had never heard of Jimi Hendrix either, though. That takes things beyond "respect for one's trade" and goes into just a mind boggling lack of awareness of one's entire culture as a whole.

Fedor is an easy target, though. At least he seems to keep tabs on the current world of sports (since it's his job and all). Meanwhile, Rizzo, Roda, Galletti and all the other old vets just seem remarkably uninformed and basically lazy these days.

With that in mind, I might throw a subcategory for discussion: most knowledgeable / insightful sports radio guys. It seems like all the guys that used to be respected for their smarts have since lost their street cred completely (Trivisano, Les Levine, dare i say Drennan?). I used to respect Bill Needle back in the '90s as a sort of alternative to the yelling idiot talk show host. No idea where he is these days.

Also, I will randomly drop the names of a couple other guys who have been floating around Cleveland airwaves for 20+ years, and yet inspire virtually no reaction at all (since even Thor Tolo is getting way more love here): John Telich and Jeff Phelps. They certainly found their little niches.
aclayman

Favorite Player: Andy Allanson
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bando

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:23 am

aclayman wrote:Apparently Fedor had never heard of Jimi Hendrix either, though. That takes things beyond "respect for one's trade" and goes into just a mind boggling lack of awareness of one's entire culture as a whole.

Fedor is an easy target, though. At least he seems to keep tabs on the current world of sports (since it's his job and all). Meanwhile, Rizzo, Roda, Galletti and all the other old vets just seem remarkably uninformed and basically lazy these days.

Roda's a good guy. Came across him once and was extremely friendly. He seems to do his homework on the Monsters, which makes me wonder how good he'd be at covering a pro-hockey team had we had one in town.

Although I am critical of Fedor's unawareness of sports history to an extent, I can respect the fact that he does interact on twitter surprisingly well, even when his opinion is the complete opposite of your own.

I'm a big fan of Ken Carman's work since he was at 1350, and found his late night show to be pretty good.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:17 am

Surprised that any worst list has not included

Munch
Brinda
BSK
Peter Brown during 'KNR start up (who I thouroghly enjoyed)

Jarod Cherry seems to have found his way around the radio. He seems to make Hammer/Rizzo stay on topic when they attempt to veer off in a Bill Simmons/BH 90210 type rant when he sits in with them.

Enjoyed Casey Coleman as a sideline reporter, never cared for him as a play by play guy. Some of that may have had to do with replacing Nev as well.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:18 am

andrew6586 wrote:I don't have the great memory of Cleveland sports casters because I'm only 26. But for me, Hammy is the best. I grew up listening to him and have loved his play by play. I didn't get into the Cavs until I went to college at John Carroll so I only have about 6 years listening to Joe Tait. He was great though. I also like Donovan on the Browns games. His energy makes the Browns listenable even when they aren't watchable.

Agree, and honestly, i'd be able to listen to any game, with any MLB teams, with Hammy calling the shots. Maybe it's nostalgia and maybe it's just his voice, but there's something about Hammy that equates to a quiet summer night. I like the Boston radio guys too, but Hammy is in a class all of his own for baseball.

Tait is fantastic too, gotta have him in the top 5.

I like Donovan for the Browns, but really the #1 priority for a Browns guy is not being able to sound like you're about to kill yourself after being forced to watch that mess.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Squints » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:50 pm

Another guy who hasn't been mentioned that would have been in my 11-15 range is Jack Corrigan. Highly versatile, I believe he even did Force games as well as the Cavs and Indians on WUAB. Was true Cleveland, never wanted to grab the spotlight as an announcer and his reward from the Indians after years of calling their games was getting squeezed out of the move to STO.

I thought about putting Reghi in my bottom 5, but I actually preferred him calling the Cavs games and thought he got a raw deal from Dan Gilbert. However, since then he has become unlistenable and unwatchable as a radio host, but his work with the Cavs keeps him out of the bottom 5, for now.

Seems like the top three are Hamilton, Tait and Chandler the order is of personal preference, they are truly separate from the rest.
Squints

Favorite Player: Howard, Tim
Least Favorite Player: Howard, Desmond

Unread postby swerb » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:02 pm

"Touch em all time!"
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:43 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Surprised that any worst list has not included

Munch
Brinda
BSK
Peter Brown during 'KNR start up (who I thouroghly enjoyed)

Jarod Cherry seems to have found his way around the radio. He seems to make Hammer/Rizzo stay on topic when they attempt to veer off in a Bill Simmons/BH 90210 type rant when he sits in with them.

Enjoyed Casey Coleman as a sideline reporter, never cared for him as a play by play guy. Some of that may have had to do with replacing Nev as well.

Peter Brown was great. He was the eyeo of the talk media. People were lining up to fight him over Terrell Brandon.

The anti-list needs to include Ronnie "Slam" Duncan and probably Bob Franz. Triv earns the permananet top spot.

There needs to be a middle "meh" list with Bill Needle and John Telich.
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:48 pm

Larvell Blanks wrote:Enjoyed Casey Coleman as a sideline reporter, never cared for him as a play by play guy. Some of that may have had to do with replacing Nev as well.

We ought not speak ill of the dead, but Case was brutal on PBP. Worst in Cleveland media history. You really couldn't tell WTF was going on. He described everything but the result of the play and Diek would hav eto step in and let you know result/down/distance. Then again, he was pretty open about his recovery late in life, and he may have been high & drunk at the time. Might need to give him a pass there.

I also didn't care for the way he was non-chalant during 95 and kept sloughing it all off as no big deal.
jb

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:11 pm

jb wrote:
Larvell Blanks wrote:Enjoyed Casey Coleman as a sideline reporter, never cared for him as a play by play guy. Some of that may have had to do with replacing Nev as well.

We ought not speak ill of the dead, but Case was brutal on PBP. Worst in Cleveland media history. You really couldn't tell WTF was going on. He described everything but the result of the play and Diek would hav eto step in and let you know result/down/distance. Then again, he was pretty open about his recovery late in life, and he may have been high & drunk at the time. Might need to give him a pass there.

I also didn't care for the way he was non-chalant during 95 and kept sloughing it all off as no big deal.

Showed up at 12:50, said "A host of tacklers" about 75 times, home by 4:30.

If he was putting in the long day.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:10 am

For me Tait and Gib Shanley were the best play-by-play guys, but let me throw a few names out there that will date me, but I think should be considered among the best in Cleveland sports history...cause history is a long time.

Jimmy Dudley - maybe we romanticize the voices of our youth and remember them as better than they really were, but Dudley and Bob Neal were the team I grew up listening to, and Dudley especially is something of a Cleveland legend.

Bob Neal - did Browns and Indians in various stretches late 50's through early 70's. Smooth style and an ideal pairing for the brash Dudley.

Ken Coleman - Casey's dad...made his name as the Red Sox announcer for decades, but started out here and was a pro's pro.

Jim Graner - anchored Channel 3 sports late 50's early 60's, did color commentary for Browns '55-60, then teamed up with Shanley for Browns games '63-'74 (OK I looked that up)

Not too many of the guys in the last few decades measure up to the six names above, IMO

Even though he didn't broadcast live sports, Pete Franklin has to be named here too, because he truly pioneered sports talk on the radio in a time when if you wanted more than the PD beat writer gave you, he was the only game in town.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:18 am

FYI...some good stuff on Shanley (and Graner and Chandler) in this profile:

http://www.clevelandseniors.com/people/gibshanley.htm

and for those unfamiliar with Jimmy Dudley

http://www.americansportscastersonline. ... orial.html
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/uXRD51
danwismar

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:30 am

Best Vote goes to Joe Tait. Both quality and quantity.

Worst Vote (out of 1000 nominees) goes to Chuck Booms. Surprised no one else mentioned him, but I guess most people don't feel he even merits consideration as a sports broadcaster.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:20 pm

I love Booms. To me the guy is hysterical. Praises when its warranted and goes on the assault when appropriate as well. Kiley the perfect sidekick for him. Only local sports radio guys I can tolerate anymore.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby LarsHancock » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:16 pm

swerb wrote:"Touch em all time!"

Did Hamilton call Penn St football on the days the Tribe wasn't playing?
LarsHancock

Favorite Player: Armagnac
Least Favorite Player: Rumple Minze

Unread postby NH Tribe Fan » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:21 am

I really think it depends which sports/teams you prefer. For me Hammy is and will always be #1. I hear his voice and it reminds of me so many memories. There's a reason any Indians highlights will use him instead of the boring TV guys.

Yes he is a homer, but he also calls it like he sees it. If you aren't tempted to listen when the Indians are in the midst of 6 game losing streak and getting blown out...you are only a casual fan. To me he is as much the Indians as John Adams is.
NH Tribe Fan

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:49 am

swerb wrote:I love Booms. To me the guy is hysterical. Praises when its warranted and goes on the assault when appropriate as well. Kiley the perfect sidekick for him. Only local sports radio guys I can tolerate anymore.

Say it ain't so, Swerbie... say it ain't so.

He's as funny as a colonoscopy. The guy couldn't be worse if he tried. And I'm not sure he isn't.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:59 am

Hikohadon wrote:
swerb wrote:I love Booms. To me the guy is hysterical. Praises when its warranted and goes on the assault when appropriate as well. Kiley the perfect sidekick for him. Only local sports radio guys I can tolerate anymore.

Say it ain't so, Swerbie... say it ain't so.

He's as funny as a colonoscopy. The guy couldn't be worse if he tried. And I'm not sure he isn't.

Agreed.

Can't and won't listen to those two. They're worst two guys I've ever, EVER heard.

This market is begging for any type of talent and I have very few choices. That I can't even listen to them under those circumstances is telling.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:21 pm

I never ever liked Booms voice, just so annoying & twerpy, then I saw him, and wanted to punch my own mom in the face.

FUDU

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:27 pm

Oh, that IS Booms. I thought that was some douche from some cooking show I don't watch.

So that's what annoying looks like.

I half-expected him to have a flock of seagulls haircut.
Hikohadon

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Oh, that IS Booms. I thought that was some douche from some cooking show I don't watch.

He's 5'2", he could have any hair cut in the world and it wouldn't make a difference.

FUDU

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:50 pm

FUDU wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Oh, that IS Booms. I thought that was some douche from some cooking show I don't watch.

He's 5'2", he could have any hair cut in the world and it wouldn't make a difference.

Maybe we should have him meet CDT.

Hikohadon

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL