Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Andy Reid

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Andy Reid

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:19 am

On the hotseat in Philly, Andy could be out there this offseason. He runs the WCO and the 4-3. Banner, Heckert (if he stays), etc. etc. Pretty much as seamless as it could get.

Would you guys welcome Reid? I think he's a heck of a coach who's been dealing with some tough family issues. Maybe a change of scenery would do him good. Maybe so would some time off.

/though I would caution him lest he think that changing from Philly to C-town would be less of a meat-grinder, 'cause it wouldn't be. :guns:
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: Andy Reid

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:29 am

bookelly wrote:On the hotseat in Philly, Andy could be out there this offseason. He runs the WCO and the 4-3. Banner, Heckert (if he stays), etc. etc. Pretty much as seamless as it could get.

Would you guys welcome Reid? I think he's a heck of a coach who's been dealing with some tough family issues. Maybe a change of scenery would do him good. Maybe so would some time off.

/though I would caution him lest he think that changing from Philly to C-town would be less of a meat-grinder, 'cause it wouldn't be. :guns:

I don't think Banner is interested in Reid, but that's just my gut theory.

Also, even if he is, I think Reid will end up taking next year off should this little drama in Phili play out to its expected conclusion.

FTR: DO NOT WANT Reid. HORRIBLE clock manager among other things that are red flags for me.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:51 am

Reid has all the power when it comes to Football Ops in Philly , almost to the point where it was difficult to tell who was who's boss when Banner and Reid were both there.

Reid might rather retire, then work for a man , who at best he shared power with.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:37 pm

bookelly wrote:Would you guys welcome Reid?

No.

And I don't think he and Banner are buds anyway.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:49 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
bookelly wrote:Would you guys welcome Reid?

No.

And I don't think he and Banner are buds anyway.

Doesn't seem like Banner has many friends at all. Which may actually be a quality you want in a President.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:12 pm

How is this job as much of a meat grinder as Philly?
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby rbm0183 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:52 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:How is this job as much of a meat grinder as Philly?

Look at all of the headstones in the Cleveland coaching graveyard over the past 14 years. We are so used to failing on coaching hires that the minute a guy loses 2 in a row a growing number of fans will assume he is just another failure and call for his head.

Couple that tendency with Andy Reid's propensity to make some of the most bone-headed in game decisions this side of Pat Shurmur and it is easy to envision a scenario where the fans have turned on him halfway through his first season here.

I really don't think there's any way Reid is coming here, especially next year. If there was ever a guy who needs a year away from football it's Andy Reid. And even after a year away I have no interest. I find it hard to imagine he is going to improve in Cleveland, and the way the Eagles have underachieved the past couple of years leads me to believe that he is past his use by date.
---"It was great training being there. They do it with character and intelligence. They run that organization the right way. They build through the draft. They're patient. It's just the right way to do it. It was a tremendous opportunity to be with them." Jimmy Haslam on why he'd model the Browns after the Steelers, 10/16/12
:loadof:
rbm0183

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:30 pm

rbm0183 wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:How is this job as much of a meat grinder as Philly?

Look at all of the headstones in the Cleveland coaching graveyard over the past 14 years. We are so used to failing on coaching hires that the minute a guy loses 2 in a row a growing number of fans will assume he is just another failure and call for his head.

Couple that tendency with Andy Reid's propensity to make some of the most bone-headed in game decisions this side of Pat Shurmur and it is easy to envision a scenario where the fans have turned on him halfway through his first season here.

I really don't think there's any way Reid is coming here, especially next year. If there was ever a guy who needs a year away from football it's Andy Reid. And even after a year away I have no interest. I find it hard to imagine he is going to improve in Cleveland, and the way the Eagles have underachieved the past couple of years leads me to believe that he is past his use by date.

The reason people grumble about the coaching here is cause they've hired GD idiots. One guy, out of all of em' got another professional coaching gig, somehow, and he's become the laughingstock of the league. The rest will never be hired again as head coach - that ain't fickle fans, that's not being good at your job.

I actually think the fans would embrace just about anyone with a semblance of competence. (Minus, of course, the zillion knee-jerk humps that want you to throw "the bomb" every play)

And I don't want Reid, just emphasising the point that he'd have a much longer leash here than in Philly at this juncture.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:39 pm

I was just trying to point out that while the fans in Philly may be starving...the fans here are ravenous. Both situations don't make for a comfortable seat.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:59 pm

There is nothing REMOTELY close to taking a job here that resembles even the basic instances of a job in Philly.

1) Philly teams are expected to succeed: The Flyers, Eagles, and Phillies are all contenders, and when they aren't, the fans revolt. We would be tickled pink with a .500 season for any non-OSU team.

2) Philly fans are dicks, and throw fits over everything.

3) Philly has a reputation, whereas Cleveland teams are the butt of every joke. (So you're stepping into being part of that)
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby rk » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Why the hell would anyone want Andy Reid? Who wants a coach who is an egomaniac, puts up with players who play as individuals rather than as a team, doesn't trust the running game and abandons his game plan at the slightest set back, and who refuses to change anything regardless of what the results show?

He is Pat Shurmer in 20 years except with a bigger ego. If you wanted Reid you should have had Holmgren coach.

If Haslem spent a billion dollars and is thinking that Andy Reid is the long term solution to this organization's woes than he should have just invested in gold.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby Spin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:04 pm

bookelly wrote:On the hotseat in Philly, Andy could be out there this offseason. He runs the WCO

That's enough reason not to, right there.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL