Text Size

College Sports Arena

Honestly, where do you think tOSU really is this year?

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Honestly, where do you think tOSU really is this year?

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:09 pm

I think they could play and beat Notre Lame and K State. I don't think they could sniff Oreygun and Cheatin' Chip or the SEC this year.

What say yous?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Honestly, where do you think tOSU really is this year?

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:35 pm

I think OSU is legit top 10...not sure how much higher than that I'd we willing to place them. They're not in the top 20 without Braxton. Yes, they could compete with K State and ND. I think Oregon could put 30 points on anybody, and that includes 'Bama, and doubt very much if the Buckeyes could hang with the Ducks, given how they've struggled with fast spread teams. Oregon is the fastest college team I've ever seen.

So glad to see the Bama mystique get blown away the other night. The unbeatable, inevitable,"could maybe beat some bad NFL teams" bullshit finally ends, as they got beat on their home field by an SEC newcomer. Everybody is beatable...including Oregon.

We're celebrating the 10th anniversary this year of another one of those "unbeatable" teams going down...the great 2002 Miami Hurricanes.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 pm

In a down CFB year they are top five-seven.

Agree, that Bama and LSU are probably better, UF would be a game and Oregon would beat the living shit out of them.

ND is about as overrated as overrated could possibly be with that offense (if Standford doesn't go Jim Bollman Dave four plays in a row in OT they lose that game, didn't beat UM, Purdue or State convincingly, and this is not a great OU team, though that beatemdown was impressive) so obviously OSU could play with them and I have less than a clue what to think about KSU.

If Shazier improves over the next two games as much as he has over the last three, Boren gets more comfortable, etc OSU could be a threat, but those are big ifs.

Right now I'm more focused on the terrifying concept of our MLB play next year than anything...

Amazing that Tressell's higher rated late in his tenure recruiting classes have produced such shit at LB.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:43 pm

BTW: fuck the Catholics for making me route for Lane Kiffin.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:04 pm

I think we hang with any of the top 5. 'Bama looks like a loss to me but they are the only one. LSU has the worst offense I've seen of a major program. I have no idea how they scored against 'Bama and I watched that game.

Oregon would be a shootout where neither team could stop the other. I tend to think we'd win because we have the better line play and they haven't seen anyone like Brax. We haven't seen anything like their offense either, but line play wins in NCAAFB.

ND and K-State are just teams. I think either one we could beat.

Florida is better than LSU when they're playing well but they keep throwing away games so who knows.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:56 pm

bac5665 wrote:Florida is better than LSU when they're playing well but they keep throwing away games so who knows.

The UF - LSU games was an affront to offense, and far more about LSU's mediocre offense than any strength of the Gators.

On that point though, if anybody around here is longing for the Tressel ball / Bollman era, try to catch a Gator game. The resemblance is uncanny.
Sea Foam Green

Favorite Player: 1st Round Draft Pick

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:06 pm

Not sure there's anything other than NC contenders on one tier and varying degrees of everything else after that.

I think OSU (as I said in my article) is in a group of quite a few teams that are not NCG-caliber but still solid.

I'm not impressed with 10-0 other than the fact it came while transforming from one style of play 180 degrees to another.

I think Bama, Oregon and K-State are a different level this season.

I think ND is similar to Buckeyes in terms of how good they really are. I think 2-loss LSU beats Ohio State too, on a neutral field. I think LSU beats ND too.

The best part of Urban running the table will be 10 years from now when I hear how the Buckeyes were jobbed out of a certain championship. That and the fact there will be a shitload of recruits watching the UM game that could get them to 12-0.

And no bad taste in the mouth after getting waffle-stomped in a title game against Oregon or K-State.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:29 pm

If you took the last 10 to 12 versions of the Buckeyes, this team would be lucky to be in the top half. The offense might be one of the top 3 to 4, but the defense seems like it's in the bottom 3 to 4. When Indiana can score 49 on you...well, what can I say?

Got to give the Bucks credit where credit's due, though. New coach, new system, and they're 10-0. That's not chopped liver.

(BTW, don't bet the house on Oregon finishing undefeated. The mighty Ducks have three games left with teams in the Top 20. One slip and we might be looking at K-State vs. ND in the championship game Jan. 7. What kind of a nightmare is that?)
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:17 pm

Oregon would beat us, probably by 20+ points. Although I think Oregon's D is improved but not any better than OSU's.

Bucks could give KSU a game. It would be a crazy shootout since their D wouldn't be able to stop Braxton.

Bucks could beat Notre Dame.

Bucks would lose to 'Bama.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:23 pm

Not as good as the Golden Flashes?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jb » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:43 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Oregon would beat us, probably by 20+ points. Although I think Oregon's D is improved but not any better than OSU's.

Bucks could give KSU a game. It would be a crazy shootout since their D wouldn't be able to stop Braxton.

This is the correct answer.

Elaboration is even money we'd take out K-State. I am not a believer.
jb

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:17 pm

jb wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Oregon would beat us, probably by 20+ points. Although I think Oregon's D is improved but not any better than OSU's.

Nobody else's mind has been swayed on Alabama after the past two weeks? They've struggled with two teams that I would consider about the same caliber as OSU.

Not saying the Buckeye's would beat them for sure, just think the other way isn't necessarily true either.
Sea Foam Green

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:20 pm

We're gonna drop 50 on scum.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:29 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Bucks could give KSU a game. It would be a crazy shootout since their D wouldn't be able to stop Braxton.

Both Snyder and Meyer with extra time to prepare would be a joy to watch. A coaching clinic from both sides.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:52 pm

FUDU wrote:We're gonna drop 50 on scum.

No we're not.

UM is #2 defense, and #1 pass defense in the B1G. I expect the traditional lower-scoring affair. Of course I predicted Penn State would beat OSU, so WTF do I know?
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby furls » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:01 pm

-Bucks lose to the Ducks by 20. Don't give me a bunch of crap about the play on the lines. OSU's D line is good, but Oregon's is good enough and with athletes like the Ducks have good enough gets the job done. OSU's safety play and sketchy LB play ensure a loss. You miss a gap on Oregon and it goes 75 yards.

-Bucks play 'Bama Tough. Bama's a traditional pro style running/passing offense. OSU does well against those. Bama's D is good against the run and that will end the Bucks shot at winning, but I think the game is closer than most would think.

-K-State is a good team, but I am not convinced they are elite. I think the Bucks are even money to beat them.

-OSU beats ND by 2-3 TDs. Nice defense, not elite, sorry I have seen them play enough to say they are a good not great D and Miller is a good enough player to make plays against ND (or to make them play him so hard that others will). ND's offense is soooo bad that I think they struggle to move the ball against OSU. I think the Bucks hold them under 10. USC will expose ND.

-Georgia would be an interesting game. I think we are 50:50 vs. GA. Meyer's hatred for Richt may make the difference.

-
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:59 pm

As much as it pains me to link Simmonsland, Charles Pierce rocked this out:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/862 ... notre-dame
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:54 am

e0y2e3 wrote:As much as it pains me to link Simmonsland, Charles Pierce rocked this out:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/862 ... notre-dame

He did?
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:56 am

Sea Foam Green wrote:
jb wrote:

Nobody else's mind has been swayed on Alabama after the past two weeks? They've struggled with two teams that I would consider about the same caliber as OSU.

Not saying the Buckeye's would beat them for sure, just think the other way isn't necessarily true either.

When the Buckeyes D up at all against anyone but the Illini, I'll think about that.

They have 2 games to show growth that 2nd half of Penn State & Illinois were not mirages.

The Hoosiers for chrissake....
jb

Unread postby fairvis » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:15 pm

Our two toughest tests are still ahead of us, but you can't really fault this team at the moment.

I thought that we'd lose 3 games on the season: Home against Nebraska, one of either at MSU or Wisconsin, and a whoopsie (e.g. Purdue). I still think we can lose on Saturday to Wisky, but it depends on how the LB core of Sabino, Boren, and Shazier look. I think that they could stack favorably to Ball's antics.

As this team jells, it could very well compete with the upper echelon. I think we'd take Notre Dame, as their offense isn't really all that much to speak of. KSU would be interesting. I think we're a better team then Texas A&M, and Braxton's a far better runner then Manziel, but Manziel certainly sacked up and completed some big throws against Alabama - which Braxton hasn't really done yet.

If this team plays to its potential and doesn't turn the ball over (something that they've gotten better at), they can stand with anyone, outside of maybe Oregon. We'd lose by 14-20 easily, but if we could get some picks, we'd be doing well. Just not enough lateral speed yet- wait until next year.

As it's hypothetical anyways, since we're not eligible this year, talking about the future is appropriate... imagine that this was 2014, and you were trying to set a four-team playoff with this year's teams. Also assume we win the title game, as does Alabama, and everyone else wins out. You have 4 unbeatens: Pac 12, Big XII, Big 10, and Notre Dame, and a one-loss SEC champ. Who gets left out of the playoffs? Would be a complete mess. Would you choose Alabama over Notre Dame or Ohio State?
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby Sea Foam Green » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:42 pm

They won't all win out. If they did, you'd drop out Alabama. This isn't like last year where the loss was to what was clearly the best team in the country. This is just a run of the mill loss to a good team. Additionally, at the moment their 2nd best win is over Michigan. Assuming they win the SEC championship game, they'd have two wins against good competition. Not all that much more impressive than the other 4.
Sea Foam Green

Return to College Sports Arena