Text Size

College Sports Arena

Bye Week Slate - 11/10

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Bye Week Slate - 11/10

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:29 pm

Starting this up now. Bama's down 21 in the first quarter, which would certainly throw a wrench into absolutely everything.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: Bye Week Slate - 11/10

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:30 pm

Well, missed XP... so Bama's down 20-0. Still not the 2nd quarter yet.
fairvis

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:53 pm

I bet you BAMA still covers the 13.5 spread.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:03 pm

Bama's certainly coming back. And by playing the ends in contain and blitzing up the middle, they're taking care of Manziel.
fairvis

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Looks like aTm is going to finish this game with some Big XII D! Looks like the suddenly vulnerable Tide will escape again.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:07 pm

aTm stands up tall at the end!
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:09 pm

What a game. Back and forth, great plays, good efforts. Bama can still get the ball back here, which would certainly make the last 30 seconds interesting.
fairvis

Unread postby furls » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:11 pm

It will be interesting to see how many undefeated teams a one loss SEC team would jump to get into the NCG. Could Bama really jump enough players to get in if everyone else wins out?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:14 pm

These refs may get shot in the parking lot. Holy crap.
fairvis

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:14 pm

Lol
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:18 pm

furls wrote:It will be interesting to see how many undefeated teams a one loss SEC team would jump to get into the NCG. Could Bama really jump enough players to get in if everyone else wins out?

KSU and ND have been consistently strong in the computers. Oregon has games against Stanford and Oregon State, plus a likely good opponent in the Pac-12 championship game.

I don't see any way you can have Bama jump either of those three. Oregon's schedule stregnth will increase with their last three games to take a high post in the computers- and they're the only ones that could potentially get jumped at the moment.
fairvis

Unread postby StewieG » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:00 pm

Oh my God. This Rominowski motivational speech was hilarious like 2 seconds in. And then it just kept going. And going.
StewieG

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:48 pm

NC Game: Oregon 42 Notre Dame 17
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:56 pm

swerb wrote:NC Game: Oregon 42 Notre Dame 17

Followed by Chip Kelly getting hired by the Browns.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:08 pm

motherscratcher wrote:

Followed by Chip Kelly getting hired by the Browns.

Exactly.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:30 am

ND's O is too anemic to beat USC. Bank it. Make money on it.

Oregon vs. KSU for the title unless UT rises up and knocks of KSU (not outside the realm of possibilities). If UT rises we get 'Bama vs. Oregon the two best teams in the country.

I think Saban beats OU given a shot, but I think OU beats anyone else (by a lot).

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby StewieG » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:49 am

Oregon's starting QB left the game with what looked like an arm or wrist injury. I think it was his non-throwing hand, but we'll see if he comes back in.
StewieG

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:34 am

furls wrote:

ND's O is too anemic to beat USC. Bank it. Make money on it.

Oregon vs. KSU for the title unless UT rises up and knocks of KSU (not outside the realm of possibilities). If UT rises we get 'Bama vs. Oregon the two best teams in the country.

I think Saban beats OU given a shot, but I think OU beats anyone else (by a lot).

I would be intersted in what Snyder or Saban could do in the year and a half they have to prepare for Oregon in that title game.

ND isn't in the same class ILO.

And if I see Johhny Football Hero in the hall, I'm gonna tell him he played a great game. Guy made more big time throws yesterday than Geno Smith has all year.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:20 am

If the 3 unbeatens remain so , it will be Oregon vs. K. State for the big crystal football.

Notre Dame vs. Alabama in the runner-up bowl if bama doesn't lose again.

Can you imagine if Johnny Football had decided to go to Oregon as he originally intended? who the hell would have been sitting on the Duck bench? And I think the Beast Hawaiian was not heavily recruited by Big time schools either.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Kind of a shame our Buckeyes aren't ineligible, would make things interesting (not necessarily on the field mind you). But IF we were eligible I think it would save the BCS' ass this year, no? Assuming we finish running our table.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:54 pm

FUDU wrote:Kind of a shame our Buckeyes aren't ineligible, would make things interesting (not necessarily on the field mind you). But IF we were eligible I think it would save the BCS' ass this year, no? Assuming we finish running our table.

IDK. It might be a blessing in the skies. Even though BAMA lost I still think they are probably the best team out there and would kick tOSUs ass all over the field. I'm also glad that our defense doesn't hav to try to stop Oregon.

And if we lost to ND...I'm not sure I could take that.

Undefeated is awesome and fun as hell, but we really haven't played anyone very good at all. Maybe it's better off this way this year. Or maybe I'm underestimating tOSU.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:50 pm

Blessing in the skies huh?

FUDU

Unread postby pup » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:56 pm

There is no way, if they run this table, ND will not play in the BCS title game. Someone will find a way. Worth too much $ not to. You really think the powers that be will have Kansas Fucking State get in the BCS game over ND?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:01 pm

pup wrote:There is no way, if they run this table, ND will not play in the BCS title game. Someone will find a way. Worth too much $ not to. You really think the powers that be will have Kansas Fucking State get in the BCS game over ND?

I agree. However I also think there is no way ND runs their table, not with that offense. I am actually pulling for them though. My hate for ND is dying.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:02 pm

Oregon's O is just too electric. They have 3 players on the field at all times that can take the ball to the house on any given snap against any defense. Oregon is playing better defense than in year's past as well. I think they could still throw 40 up on 'Bama and hold 'Bama below 40 as 'Bama is not a big play O.

It takes a lot of depth on D to play against Oregon at their pace. Your D is going to see 90-100 snaps and while 'Bama's front 7 is pretty damn good, the back 4 is vulnerable and they can't be against this Ducks team.

I don't think it really matters. It will be the Ducks against someone besides 'Bama for all the marbles. KSU would be a disaster for the BCS as I don't see a lot of interest (or real belief) in the Wildcats.

BCS is going to be big time UT fans as I think they would be fine with Bama or ND playing OU.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:25 pm

Oregon is sick.

And I too think KSU would get "housed" by the Ducks, but based on the present f$%%^cked up system, if KSU rolls the table & wins the Big 12 Championship game, the BCS by their own computer tabulations = Oregon vs. KSU. A sucky, less lucrative game.

N.D. with any subjectivity ( earning potential ) would = a shot at the Ducks, but BCS ( even with their greed) couldn't change the tabulation formula to get N.D. in the game.

Which is why next years rules will be better.

It is a blessing in disguise our Bucks avoid Alabama, Oregon, maybe even N.D this year. And I wouldn't want to give #2 or #3 SEC team a month to prepare for Braxton "only" O either.

Alot of Texas fans have been spawned.
pod2dawg

Unread postby bac5665 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:08 pm

I actually think the Bucks would hold their own against any of the big teams this year. I don't know if we'd win, but we'd be competitive.

Oregon can't beat anyone who has real offensive and defensive lines and I don't see this years team to be any different. We'd give up a ton but we'd score a ton too.

K-State and ND would both have a tough time dealing with Braxton and our Defense could keep them from scoring too many points.

Alabama seems like the worst matchup for us, but if we can find a way to score on them, we'd give them a game.

And there are no other teams, even in the SEC, that I fear that much. We'd hold our own just fine. Florida and LSU are flawed as hell. LSU doesn't have a DI offense and Florida keeps giving up big turnovers. Georgia won't go to a BCS bowl.

USC is a joke, as is Stanford.

Again, I don't know that we'd win, but we would be in every one of those games and there's not one of them that we couldn't win.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:27 pm

ND and KSU actually have a couple of opponents in common.

ND vs Miami - ND 41, Miami 3
KSU vs Miami - KSU 52, Miami 13

ND vs Oklahoma - ND 30, OU 13
KSU vs Oklahoma - KSU 24, OU 19

Both games against Miami were at home, both games against Oklahoma were in Norman.

Their schedules are really fairly even. Outside of OU, the best team KSU's faced has been either Texas Tech, WVa, or Ok State. All with 3+ losses. ND's faced Stanford and Michigan, and will face USC.

It'll be close between the two of them. If ND knocks off USC, there will certainly be pressure to move them to #2 in the polls and let the chips fall where they may.
fairvis

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:52 pm

OSU would get housed by Oregon. The poor LB and safety play (granted the LB play is getting better) will cause multiple 70+ yard plays. The only way tOSU could stay in that game is if they never punt or kick a FG. The Buckeyes D plays well against pro style offenses but struggles mightily against spreads.

OSU could beat ND. ND has no O, no real play makers on O or anything to be concerned with on that side of the ball. OSU's D could hold ND below 20 and I have no doubt OSU would be able to score a few TDs on ND. It is a nice D, but they are overrated. Brax will make some plays.

OSU would hang with 'Bama in the Bama O vs. tOSU D. I say they give up 24ish points. I think they would struggle to score at all against 'Bama. I think they could find 10pts but that is about it. The offense is to one dimensional and 'Bama has the athletes to mostly bottle up Braxton and there is no way you are ramming it down their throats.

KSU is a very tough match up for tOSU. It is a better passing O than Oregon, better running QB too because of the passing threat. The playmakers are not quite as dynamic for KSU so I like tOSU to keep it closer. I also am less of a believer in KSU's defense, so I think tOSU keeps it close against KSU.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:48 pm

Notre Dame has the 28th rated toughest schedule trending down.

KSU is 31st trending down.

The Big 12 isn't impressive and neither is N.D.'s opponents ( Pitt, BC, Wake Forest).

N.D. is hurt not being in a conference and and getting a chance to play in a Conference Championship.

I really could give two shits, but I'd be real interested if we were bowl eligible.

As long as we beat Wisc & scUM. :thumb up:
pod2dawg

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:44 pm

Year we beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl, we were 6 point dogs IIRC.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby bac5665 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:32 pm

swerb wrote:Year we beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl, we were 6 point dogs IIRC.

Yep.

I really think that the difference between us as the other big teams this year is overstated.
bac5665

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:29 am

bac5665 wrote:
swerb wrote:Year we beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl, we were 6 point dogs IIRC.

Yep.

I really think that the difference between us as the other big teams this year is overstated.

That ain't the Oregon team of this season.

I'd be suprised if Oregon didn't hang half a hundred up there.

And they can handle themselves up front. Not Alabama or Florida in this regard, but saying that can't beat anyone up front is misguided thinking.

Put a gun to Urban's head and you'll get something along the lines of, "Jesus Christ, I might run the table with THIS.....I knew I came to this conference for a reason, but I didn't realize it was this bad...."

And I'll go on record as saying I'm rooting for KSU to get in there. Just curious to see what Snyder would do with all that time to prepare. GD guy is a genius.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Pipe, I do agree that Oregon is better this year. Not arguing.

But I know we have better linemen on both sides of the ball. Would they score 40-50 on us? Maybe. But I think we can hang in there and score the same right back. They have no defense. USC scored 50 on them and USC isn't going to score more than 20 against ND. Maybe a good deal less.

This Buckeye team plays to the level of the competition. We've looked our best against the best teams we've played. There is a reason for that. Bring on Oregon or Bama or K-State or ND and we'd play our best game of the season, I have no doubt. And in college, the line-play decides games and ours are as good as any of theirs this year. That will give us a chance in any matchup that could happen.
bac5665

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:22 pm

bac5665 wrote:This Buckeye team plays to the level of the competition. We've looked our best against the best teams we've played. There is a reason for that.

The teams that would make it on "the best teams we've played" list is the scary part.

FUDU

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:38 pm

FUDU wrote:
bac5665 wrote:This Buckeye team plays to the level of the competition. We've looked our best against the best teams we've played. There is a reason for that.

The teams that would make it on "the best teams we've played" list is the scary part.

No doubt. B1G is bad this year. But Oregon's list is no better. Oregon St., Stanford and USC aren't very different from Penn St. Wisc and Michigan or Nebraska.
bac5665

Unread postby pup » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:09 pm

bac5665 wrote:
FUDU wrote:

No doubt. B1G is bad this year. But Oregon's list is no better. Oregon St., Stanford and USC aren't very different from Penn St. Wisc and Michigan or Nebraska.

Shake yourself.

B1G is so bad, we are seeing consecutive weeks of MAC teams making the top 25.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm not saying that the B1G isn't terrible. The B1G is laughably bad. I'm saying that this Buckeye team plays to the level of its competition and would hold its own against the big teams. Might we lose? Yeah. But it would be nothing like Michigan v. 'Bama.
bac5665

Unread postby pup » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:16 pm

bac5665 wrote:I'm not saying that the B1G isn't terrible. The B1G is laughably bad. I'm saying that this Buckeye team plays to the level of its competition and would hold its own against the big teams. Might we lose? Yeah. But it would be nothing like Michigan v. 'Bama.

So they could play with the Texans?

Playing to the level of your competition is one thing. Playing to the level of competition that is greater than anything you have played so far is completely different.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:34 pm

bac5665 wrote:
FUDU wrote:

Yes, they are.

Who, of the four Big Ten teams you listed, are you the least bit confident in their guy completing a forward pass?

When the Buckeyes and Penn State clashed a few weeks back it was billed as a battle of the "class" of the division.....Matt McGloin.....really?

The Big Ten is compromised of teams that are dinosaurs, or in the middle of transitioning from Dinosaurism. But I can't see hardly anyone in 2012 that's worth a shit. Yes, Oregon has played a weak schedule, but by the end of the year it will be FAR superior to that of OSU.

Far. Superior.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby danwismar » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:12 pm

LP, you are so right about the B1G quarterbacks. It is really a sad state of affairs right now. Amazing that Matt McGloin is the leading passer in the conference...nobody within 50 yards per game of him, or within 500 yards on the season. It's a conference of bad (or really green) passing quarterbacks and fairly unsophisticated passing schemes...a deadly combination.

Brian Wilson's attack at IU might be the best-conceived scheme, and not coincidentally, they lead the B1G in team passing yardage, while alternating two guys. (You'd never guess who is 2nd in pass efficiency....yep...Ohio State.)Penn State is probably next, as they at least have a plan for what they're trying to do throwing the ball, with Belichick disciple O'Brien and 3 pretty good tight ends, and McGloin is at least experienced, if moderately talented.

The Big Ten has never been known for producing a lot of NFL QB's...right now it's Brady and Brees and little else, and they're both a decade out of school...Russel Wilson...but right now it's really a sorry lot of passers.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:27 pm

To be fair, Danny O'Brian was supposed to be an above-average ACC QB that came into the B1G and just blows....
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Return to College Sports Arena