Text Size

No Holds Barred

Election Day Game Thread

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Election Day Game Thread

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:03 am

Every four years this day (and definitely NOT the months and days leading up to it) is like three weeks of the Olympics in a 16 hour period.

I love the excitement.

I love getting to the polling place at 630am and seeing the vets and the people lined up to vote.

I enjoy the day itself.

Wondering about turnout through the day. I can tell you at first light it was pretty heavy at my polling location. I expect turnout to be pretty big throughout the day.

Wondering if others seeing the same thing.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Election Day Game Thread

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:15 am

I can't stand all the idiots telling everyone to vote.

Why would you want someone to vote that doesn't vote the same way you do, it cancels out your vote and thus makes your effort irrelevant. The only people I want to vote are the people who vote exactly like I did.

Look I am Nate Silver, once I go 50 for 50 I want e0y2e3 to bow to me and erupt when people disagree with my methodology.

Romney - NC, FL, VA, CO
Obama - OH, IA, WI, PA, NV, NH
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:38 am

Ziner wrote:I can't stand all the idiots telling everyone to vote.

Why would you want someone to vote that doesn't vote the same way you do, it cancels out your vote and thus makes your effort irrelevant. The only people I want to vote are the people who vote exactly like I did.

Look I am Nate Silver, once I go 50 for 50 I want e0y2e3 to bow to me and erupt when people disagree with my methodology.

Romney - NC, FL, VA, CO
Obama - OH, IA, WI, PA, NV, NH

:lmfao:

I agree with Ziner's post, and also his state predictions. I think Obama is going to win and it will be official around midnight.

Also agree with Peeker. I love Election Day. I will never vote absentee or early. I love all the chaos of standing in line and seeing the democratic process in action. The day has a cool buzz to it, and I lover getting home and drinking Christmas Ale and watching cable news all night. Twitter will make it even better this year.

I love the theatrics of American politics in general, even if the inefficiency of it drives me crazy. While I strongly belive that Romney is the right President for America at this juncture, I'll lose no sleep (thanks in part to the Christmas Ale) or be angry tonight when Obama is announced the winner. I think it is absolutely the wrong decision by the residents of the battleground states that will go to Obama, but I can understand why it's happening even if I disagree with it. Regardless of who wins, this is still by far the best country in the world to live in and my life will be affected minimally.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Voting is pointless, we're too dumb of a society to deserve the ability to vote.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby General » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:38 pm

I also don't get so jazzed up by the "majesty" of the vote. Too many idiots wield the weapon of the ballot for it to have any significance. So in the words of Jackson Browne, "I'm going to be a happy idiot and struggle for the legal tender" Carry on.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:48 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Voting is pointless, we're too dumb of a society to deserve the ability to vote.

+1
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:30 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Voting is pointless, we're too dumb of a society to deserve the ability to vote.

Thank you for saving that hard-hitting analysis for the game thread. Certainly couldn't have gone anywhere else. Not to mention it's a stunningly negative opinion of people which is a complete departure from your normal points :thumb up:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:43 pm

"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Did my civic duty at 6:30, hopped back in the van with the others, and proceeded to the next polling station. Repeated this eight times altogether and made five bucks a pop each time. Not a bad morning!
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby pup » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:04 pm

My polling location was busy as well around 6:30.

I like voting better than I like the choices I get to vote on, but that doesn't diminish the day. It is the other 364 that it rains on.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby idoctribefan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:30 pm

Went to vote at 7:45am. Two precincts voting at my location. Other precinct had a line of about 15 people, mostly white male senior citizens. My precinct had no line, but the two tables are right next to one another. Female poll worker asked to see my ID and I politely shoot back with, "I thought we didn't have to show ID anymore in Ohio." This response immediately brings about a dozen death stares over in my direction and a few of the old guys begin to mutter under their breath. The poll worker says very quietly, "I need to see something that says you actually live where you say you live".

"Good, I'm glad you asked to see my ID and I think everyone should have to show it".

The old men approve of this response and nod accordingly. I even got a "damn right". Although now I might be investigated for using influential political speech at a polling place. And I'll probably be on featured on The Al Sharpton Show tonight as a racist.

My predictions for the states match Ziner's. I also predict that I'll finish off my bottle of Jack Daniel's tonight and have an annoying headache tomorrow.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:27 pm

Damn funny. I've always felt that parents should reserve the right to abort their children up to the age of 18, so this guy's credo works for me.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:32 pm

Republicans are such retarded fags.

It's amazing.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Republicans are such retarded fags.

It's amazing.

You and Lee are pretty much the same guy with your insightful and witty repartee in a thread where something else was being sought.

You just hate 50% fewer people.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:57 pm

I wasn't trying to impress anyone. I don't give a fuck about that or what was being "sought". Christ you sound like a......... never mind.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:01 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I wasn't trying to impress anyone. I don't give a fuck about that or what was being "sought". Christ you sound like a......... never mind.

Where did I ever you say you were trying to impress anyone?

Would you care to comment on the election day experience or just toss around more tired pablum? Is there a specific issue that has you calling people retarded fags or is that a general observation based on years of analysis and deliberation?

Phuckwad.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Tired pablum. I'm gonna be honest, i'm gonna say a lot more awful shit. I haven't even gotten to my agenda on Joseph Smith yet.

Everyone knows where I stand anyhow.

The Republicans want to drag this country back into the 19th century. Which is fine if you don't give a shit about their stupid policies and only love ridiculous facial hair.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:20 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Tired pablum. I'm gonna be honest, i'm gonna say a lot more awful shit. I haven't even gotten to my agenda on Joseph Smith yet.

Everyone knows where I stand anyhow.

The Republicans want to drag this country back into the 19th century. Which is fine if you don't give a shit about their stupid policies and only love ridiculous facial hair.

Stupid policies and facial hair built this country!!!!!!!!!!!!! Barry wants yo' guns!!!!!

;-) ;) :wink:

I didn't take the time to notice the facial hair phenomena this morning at the poling place. Too effin early. I almost walked into the wrong room for my location. Caught myself in time though. Had I made it to the table to sign in and been told I was in wrong area it would have immediately violated my own rule about being too stupid to vote if you don't know which line to stand in.

Would have been a self-imposed ban for me.

Lady about four spots ahead me wasn't even in right building and guy ahead of her was told, "Right church, wrong pew. You're on other side of the building, sir". These are the people determining the fate of the country. :thumb up:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:21 pm

peeker643 wrote:Every four years this day (and definitely NOT the months and days leading up to it) is like three weeks of the Olympics in a 16 hour period.

I love the excitement.

I love getting to the polling place at 630am and seeing the vets and the people lined up to vote.

I enjoy the day itself.

Wondering about turnout through the day. I can tell you at first light it was pretty heavy at my polling location. I expect turnout to be pretty big throughout the day.

Wondering if others seeing the same thing.

At my polling station over 439 <--- me, out of 1800 registered had already voted

That was about 10 am
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:25 pm

I got in and out like a 3 day old bean burrito.

With my bald head and full beard. Creeping out the squares.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Today should be more like peeker stated originally, but the truth is we are closer to what eye said.

EOD all you can ask of people is to inform themselves as best they can for the votes they are going to cast. As far as people being in the wrong spot, a bit confused, eh, it happens. Some voting places are not set up or run very efficiently, and it's not like we vote every week. I notice it is usually the elderly or young adults voting for the first time that seem out of place.

If they vote for the person I want I won't hold that against them.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:29 pm

My location was rather dead around 3pm, but we all work in my neighborhood.

FUDU

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:36 pm

If I had my way, parties would be abolished and a pamphlet would be handed out to everyone as they walked in that listed all the candidates for all the elective positions, and for each candidate there would be a list of 10 "key" topics and their positions on said topics along with a brief space for them to make a statement.

Then people would be at least mildly informed about the candidates they're voting for rather than just lemming-ly voting down party lines.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:44 pm

One thing I know for sure is that any candidate who has an ad running tomorrow and beyond goes on my permanent "Never Vote For" list. And whichever station runs it is dead to me as well.

I did like this subtle suggestion in a Philadelphia poling station:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:01 pm

^^^ :lmfao: ::doh:: The least they could do is tape a blanket or something over that for one day.

Of sourse, there are the reports and a youtube video of a PA machine (machines?) checking the Romney box when you touch Obama on the screen. No wonder the GOP seems so confident about PA, all polling evidence to the contrary.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:02 pm

[quote="peeker643 Lady about four spots ahead me wasn't even in right building and guy ahead of her was told, "Right church, wrong pew. You're on other side of the building, sir". These are the people determining the fate of the country. :thumb up:[/quote]

Haha, dropped my son at school and proceeded to the church where I normally vote. Not a car in the lot. I guess my spot is back at the middle school where it used to be. However, it is such a madhouse in the parking lot just from parents dropping off kids that I figure I will go after work. Then I hear this afternoon there is a fatal accident on the highway where I get on and the highway is closed all the way from downtown Columbus to 270 near Polaris. No way I get home in time unless I leave now, which I shall do. I think I have it pretty good in the burbs where I live. The line is never too bad, 5-20 minutes usually. People in Columbus often end up waiting for several hours to vote. That is probably a major factor in the poor turnout in urban areas.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:04 pm

I do have a friend that promised me a 6 pack (cheap bastard) of Christmas Ale if I vote for Romney. As I see no way that my single vote counts I'm tempted to take him up on it. However, that does seem like some bad karma, or whatever.

So I'll probably do it like a trua 'Murican and vote for my guy, tell him I voted for Romney, and collect the hooch. I can justify it with the legitimate possiblity that my mache cast is a PA edition and my vote was cast for Romney no matter who's box I checked.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:05 pm

That's the right for you. "If you can't win, cheat!"
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:12 pm

I wonder what the chances are of us knowing who won this thing at noon tomorrow. I just can't help but have the feeling this is going to be as bad or worse than 2000.

FUDU

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:18 pm

motherscratcher wrote:^^^ :lmfao: ::doh:: The least they could do is tape a blanket or something over that for one day.

Of sourse, there are the reports and a youtube video of a PA machine (machines?) checking the Romney box when you touch Obama on the screen. No wonder the GOP seems so confident about PA, all polling evidence to the contrary.

Happened last week in Ohio. Romney votes were marked Obama. Not an isolated incident. Similar things were reportedly happening in North Carolina and Texas.

Probably happens all the time.

I don't understand why these fucking people need to be Instagramming their ballots or posting shit to Youtube. Just vote and be done with it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:29 pm

Whichever side is smart enough to manipulate the process to the point that gives them a victory is the one I want to win the thing.

Let the dumber losers cry. Either way, right or left.

Good for them.

Still a fun show to watch.

Just a matter of which cries 'foul' at this time tomorrow. The only guarantee right now, at 4:29pm on Election Day, is that one party will cry 'foul'.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Oh yeah.... one time, in a close election, I want access to the free for all scrum where the provisional votes are counted. Bring a 12-pack of Miller High Life in cans and watch it like it's an MMA event.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:57 pm

When you have a really awful 2 party system, the shit is rigged either way.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Just took a nice dump.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Well, that was a load off your mind, eh?
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:40 pm

Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 wrote:Well, that was a load off your mind, eh?

That was well done FMB
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:43 pm

The best part of taking a huge is when you're done you don't have to shit anymore.

It's science.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:49 pm

If Silver is right, I will be impressed. Won over, even.
Till then, I'm still skeptical of a model that averages various polls and adds a layer of spin.

Fascinated, but I'll be so glad when this is over.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:49 pm

I walked in, voted, and am now watching Gunsmoke. I said all along I thought it was a Romney landslide. At this point, a Romney win by any margin would be a landslide. The momo definitely has an Obama feel, but Kerry had the same thing going and lost.

I assure you the poo came outta my ass, and my mind is still plenty full of shit. Agree with CDT satisfying feeling. Kinda like how I will feel at the conclusion of this election.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:50 pm

Orenthal

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:58 pm

peeker643 wrote:Oh yeah.... one time, in a close election, I want access to the free for all scrum where the provisional votes are counted. Bring a 12-pack of Miller High Life in cans and watch it like it's an MMA event.

Are you implying High Life is only suitable for chaos and disorder? 'Cause it's not. It's also suitable for chess and cerebral discourse on the role of Jeffersonian Democracy in large, advanced societies.

In cans too.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:02 pm

I do not care for your Miller beer.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:07 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I do not care for your Miller beer.

Then you also don't care for 'Merica.

Pinko commie bastard.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:24 pm

E-War (E Dub?), In a blindfold test, would you know the difference between Miller High Life and Milwaukee's Best Light?

From my younger days, I know that canned Milwaukees Best Light blows up in a campfire quite spectacularly.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:38 pm

I believe I would. A more difficult test is HL Light and Miller Lite.

Dare I say the senate election is more important than POTUS.

Ginsburg retiring is pretty big though.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:47 pm

Busch Light bottles > all Miller products.

BTW I'm waiting till around 10:30pm to see what the projections are, then I'm FUDUing this election.

FUDU

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:57 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:I believe I would. A more difficult test is HL Light and Miller Lite.

Dare I say the senate election is more important than POTUS.

Ginsburg retiring is pretty big though.

If Romney wins, you know he'll put some religitard psychopath on the SCOTUS.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:

If Romney wins, you know he'll put some religitard psychopath on the SCOTUS.

Do you suppose said religitard would have magic underpants?
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:03 pm

Probably. They follow a guy who had a magic hat.

Women can't have abortions because a guy with a magic hat said so.

I imagine something awful like that.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:18 pm

What I love the last few days are the Anti-Romney Internet Memes that say "Don't set the country back 50 years!!"

Wasn't the economy roaring 50 years ago? Who wouldn't want that? What shit do I give about anything else you may be referring to?

#Argumentfail
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Next

Return to No Holds Barred