Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Esmil Rogers traded per Underwood

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Esmil Rogers traded per Underwood

Unread postby 1Perry » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:47 pm

The Cleveland Indians today announced the club acquired INF MIKE AVILES and CA/INF YAN GOMES from the Toronto Blue Jays in exchange for RHP ESMIL ROGERS.
1Perry
The Shapiro of Posters

Re: Esmil Rogers traded per Underwood

Unread postby GodHatesClevelandSport » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:03 pm

So the Blue Jays basically traded their manager for Esmil Rogers?

Nice get for a fungible reliever. Aviles has always hit lefties well and can play all over.
GodHatesClevelandSport

Favorite Player: Joe Smith
Least Favorite Player: Joe Smith

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:04 pm

Good thing this guy's name is Yan, because that's what this trade makes me do.

In all seriousness, curious move here because I'm not sure what the thinking is behind it. Selling high on Rogers because they view last year as a fluke? (If that's the case, I wouldn't exactly call this selling high.) Bringing in a young righty bat? Maybe, but Gomes' numbers don't look that impressive, except last year at AAA Vegas, which also has the reputation of a hitters's haven. Precursor to an Asdrubal trade? Possibly, but I doubt it.

It's odd that our first move is to trade a bullpen arm NOT named Perez.
Last edited by Adverb Harry on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:05 pm

For the record...not at all suggesting it's a bad trade. Just odd.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Damage » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:07 pm

Sold high on Esmil.

Aviles put up a .753 OPS against LHP, so I'm assuming he's our new super utility guy and will bat against lefties.

Gomes is intriguing. Played everywhere (C, 1B, 3B, LF, DH). Mashed in the minors (79 games, .938 OPS, 13 HR's, even though it was in the PCL) and had a cup of coffee w/ the BJays last year (only 98 ABs).

However, this says to me we could be hanging onto Perez.
"I must be cruel only to be kind;
Thus bad begins, and worse remains behind."
Damage

Favorite Player: Terrell Brandon
Least Favorite Player: Joe Table

Unread postby Damage » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:09 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:Good thing this guy's name is Yan, because that's what this trade makes me do.

In all seriousness, curious move here because I'm not sure what the thinking is behind it. Selling high on Rogers because they view last year as a fluke? (If that's the case, I wouldn't exactly call this selling high.) Bringing in a young righty bat? Maybe, but Gomes' numbers don't look that impressive, except last year at AAA Vegas, which also has the reputation of a hitters's haven. Precursor to an Asdrubal trade? Possibly, but I doubt it.

It's odd that our first move is to trade a bullpen arm NOT named Perez.

Posted at the same time you did. Agreed - curious move. Not down on it at all, as Gomes could be an intriguing player (98 ab's is a very small sample size)
Damage

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:15 pm

Interesting tidbit on Gomes I saw on a couple sites: apparently,he's the first Brazilian-born MLB player. Is that right? Kind of hard to believe.

Also, he's got a unique batting stance. So, we've got that going for us.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bDiIU2tTOUQ
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:18 pm

Damage wrote:

That was one of my first thoughts, as well. Can't see too many bullpen arms going elsewhere this offseason, unless something's really up. And, let's face it, nothing ever is.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Damage » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:
Damage wrote:

That was one of my first thoughts, as well. Can't see too many bullpen arms going elsewhere this offseason, unless something's really up. And, let's face it, nothing ever is.

Hat on forwards says least year was a wake up call. Hat on backwards says shut the f**k up.

I will say that these are the types of moves/trades Shantonettiro excels at. Still wouldn't rule out a Perez trade, just doubt it will happen any time soon (provided we don't make a trade for one, which would be funny in a depressed clown type of way).
Damage

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:32 pm

Like the move. I like that Aviles is a career .295/.797 hitter against LHP. Like that he can spell Cabrera, who has clearly worn down the last couple of seasons.

Not totally sure what Rogers is. Most of his work came in low leverage situations. He struggled with RISP (.302 BAA). The league change and getting out of Colorado may have just been smoke and mirrors for him. He could go back to having a 4+ ERA next year.

Cody Allen's emergence also made this possible. I don't think this changes anything about Perez and the potential of trading him. We still have four very capable RHP, three if we do deal Perez.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:50 pm

My early, early gut reaction tells me it's a "we're in it for 2013" move. Felt that even before Bastian had a brief write up in which he said this:

"Two problems that plagued the Indians throughout this past season were offensive struggles against left-handed pitching and finding a reliable backup to All-Star shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera. Cleveland has attempted to tackle both issues with one early offseason move."

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121103&content_id=40162812&vkey=news_cle&c_id=cle

The article contains no quotes, so it's likely Bastian was writing from his own viewpoint with no front office input yet, but it's interesting to think they're attempting to fill these holes from last year's squad (particularly in regards to Asdrubal) if next season would just be about rebuilding. So, is this an early indicator that that isn't the direction we'll be going? If it is, it's a big mistake in my opinion.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Last edited by Adverb Harry on Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Damage » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:01 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Like the move. I like that Aviles is a career .295/.797 hitter against LHP. Like that he can spell Cabrera, who has clearly worn down the last couple of seasons.

Not totally sure what Rogers is. Most of his work came in low leverage situations. He struggled with RISP (.302 BAA). The league change and getting out of Colorado may have just been smoke and mirrors for him. He could go back to having a 4+ ERA next year.

Cody Allen's emergence also made this possible. I don't think this changes anything about Perez and the potential of trading him. We still have four very capable RHP, three if we do deal Perez.

May be a reactionary comment, but could this set up a trade involving Assdribble? Considering our depth in the minors at SS (I know, I know: they're all a few years away, but still) and his tendency to break down later, could be a good time to sell high on him. Or am I being dumb here?
Damage

Unread postby Damage » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:07 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:My early, early gut reaction tells me it's a "we're in it for 2013" move. Felt that even before Bastian had a brief write up in which he said this:

"Two problems that plagued the Indians throughout this past season were offensive struggles against left-handed pitching and finding a reliable backup to All-Star shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera. Cleveland has attempted to tackle both issues with one early offseason move."

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121103&content_id=40162812&vkey=news_cle&c_id=cle

The article contains no quotes, so it's likely Bastian was writing from his own viewpoint with no front office input yet, but it's interesting to think they're attempting to fill these holes from last year's squad if next season would just be about rebuilding. So, is this an early indicator that that isn't the direction we'll be going? If it is, it's a big mistake in my opinion.

I think (and I despise this phrase) it is what it is. Aviles solved 2 issues: a quality back up or spot starter on the infield and someone who can hit LHP. Not sure this is deviating away from their intended direction. I see it as supplementing any direction.
Damage

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:16 pm

Damage wrote:
Adverb Harry wrote:My early, early gut reaction tells me it's a "we're in it for 2013" move. Felt that even before Bastian had a brief write up in which he said this:

The article contains no quotes, so it's likely Bastian was writing from his own viewpoint with no front office input yet, but it's interesting to think they're attempting to fill these holes from last year's squad if next season would just be about rebuilding. So, is this an early indicator that that isn't the direction we'll be going? If it is, it's a big mistake in my opinion.

I think (and I despise this phrase) it is what it is. Aviles solved 2 issues: a quality back up or spot starter on the infield and someone who can hit LHP. Not sure this is deviating away from their intended direction. I see it as supplementing any direction.

Well said, and good point. It does provide some flexibility on the roster for a lot of further possibilities.
Adverb Harry

Unread postby aclayman » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:36 pm

I have always liked Aviles. He was looking like a regular .300 hitter in KC before injuries hit, and he can play any infield spot (so he doesn't just spell Droobs, he can step in for Kipnis or Chiz against tough lefties, too). If Gomes amounts to anything, it's just bonus. Solid, smart move.
aclayman

Favorite Player: Andy Allanson
Least Favorite Player: Chris Bando

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:37 pm

In Bastian's updated write up, Antonetti is quoted as saying that Aviles "plays the game the right way."

Oh boy, here we go again. ;-) ;) :wink:
Adverb Harry

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:40 pm

They made a move to finally solidify that tricky utility spot........which they really have had a hard time with since Carrol left. They got more than enough depth to make a move like this. Aviles is a quality bench player who still has a few years of control left. Good deal, and maybe they got another choo or cabrera in Yan, already being 25 not likely but you never know.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
Dnthateonthepronk

Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Unread postby Damage » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:12 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:In Bastian's updated write up, Antonetti is quoted as saying that Aviles "plays the game the right way."

These guys just can't help it. Must feed the beast.

And as opposed to the fallacious way? That's right up there with Chris Grant's, "They're good human beings"
Damage

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:28 pm

Damage wrote:May be a reactionary comment, but could this set up a trade involving Assdribble? Considering our depth in the minors at SS (I know, I know: they're all a few years away, but still) and his tendency to break down later, could be a good time to sell high on him. Or am I being dumb here?

I think they'd be stupid not to listen to offers for Cabrera, but I don't think he's going anywhere. Everybody has seen the same things we've seen. He's a defender with marginal range, a guy who has a tendency for prolonged slumps, and a guy who doesn't walk a whole lot.

I think he's made better by comparison - the fact that we lack, as Lead Pipe would say, PLAYAS.

I like Cabrera, I think he brings a lot and he has embraced a leadership role here. That said, I think there are flaws that lower his value that we have no choice but to put up with.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:00 pm

I agree (as usual) with what Tripods has said so far. I like Aviles. He improves a position of need and we obviously need to improve against LHP. I would assume that they are not done with said improvement in that area,as it is glaring. Not that it wasn't last offseason.

I doubt it means anything one way or another about Droobs. I'm sure they are taking calls, if not actively shopping him. And they would be crazy not to make a move and sell high if they get a deal tht makes sense. And that doesnt necessarily mean tht they are if full-on rebuild mode either.

I don't think shipping Esmil has any bearing on what they do with Perez either. Can't see why it would. I hope they get rid of him because I think he is valuable , but replaceable, and he will never be more valuable.

Plus, if Perez is gone I can unfollow him and never again be subjected to his dumbass song of the day. Yesterday it was Easy Lover by Phil Colins. Douche.

Basically I'd be fine if they moved Esmil, Droobs, and Perez. Selling high on 3 guys makes sense to me.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Damage » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:18 pm

motherscratcher wrote:I agree (as usual) with what Tripods has said so far. I like Aviles. He improves a position of need and we obviously need to improve against LHP. I would assume that they are not done with said improvement in that area,as it is glaring. Not that it wasn't last offseason.

I doubt it means anything one way or another about Droobs. I'm sure they are taking calls, if not actively shopping him. And they would be crazy not to make a move and sell high if they get a deal tht makes sense. And that doesnt necessarily mean tht they are if full-on rebuild mode either.

I don't think shipping Esmil has any bearing on what they do with Perez either. Can't see why it would. I hope they get rid of him because I think he is valuable , but replaceable, and he will never be more valuable.

Plus, if Perez is gone I can unfollow him and never again be subjected to his dumbass song of the day. Yesterday it was Easy Lover by Phil Colins. Douche.

Basically I'd be fine if they moved Esmil, Droobs, and Perez. Selling high on 3 guys makes sense to me.

Choo. Don't forget Choo, as he should be the #1 guy on the trading block. Or as someone put it, "I'd trade the shit out of him".
Damage

Unread postby bookelly » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby pup » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:45 pm

Versatility and platoons.

No way.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Am I Here Again? » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:58 am

FWIW Aviles can also fill in in the outfield if the need arises. From what I heard on the sports segments up here apparently Tito had thought highly of Aviles when Francona was managing here. If anyone knows how to get production out of Aviles it should be him.
I've tried 'em all, I really have, and the only church that truly feeds the soul, day in, day out, is the Church of Baseball.~~~Annie Savoy-"Bull Durham"
Am I Here Again?
Tribe-a-Holic

Favorite Player: Sam McDowell
Least Favorite Player: Any Red Sox or Yank

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:38 am

Does this also spell the end of the Lou Marson era? Not sure what to think of Yan Gomes. Lazy behind the plate but with a good bat? Avg. .204 with 4 HR's. Say your bye byes to Lou. Wait and see I guess.
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Favorite Player: Nick Swisher
Least Favorite Player: NYY

Unread postby statmasta » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:41 am

RedDawg53 wrote:Does this also spell the end of the Lou Marson era? Not sure what to think of Yan Gomes. Lazy behind the plate but with a good bat? Avg. .204 with 4 HR's. Say your bye byes to Lou. Wait and see I guess.

I'm assuming we got Yan Gomes to be a first baseman, not a catcher.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:17 am

Marson might be more valuable today than Santana. At least he can do one thing well.

He's going nowhere. And he'll be a Matheny in 10 years as well, running someone's team as a manager.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:33 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Plus, if Perez is gone I can unfollow him and never again be subjected to his dumbass song of the day. Yesterday it was Easy Lover by Phil Colins. Douche.

He's got a hold on you. Believe it.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
WiscTribeFan
Mook

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:46 am

statmasta wrote:
RedDawg53 wrote:Does this also spell the end of the Lou Marson era? Not sure what to think of Yan Gomes. Lazy behind the plate but with a good bat? Avg. .204 with 4 HR's. Say your bye byes to Lou. Wait and see I guess.

Thought Yan was a catcher... perhaps I was wrong
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Unread postby RedDawg53 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:48 am

peeker643 wrote:Marson might be more valuable today than Santana. At least he can do one thing well.

He's going nowhere. And he'll be a Matheny in 10 years as well, running someone's team as a manager.

I'm calling it now. Lou Marson is the next Eric Wedge for the Tribe in the next 10-15 years
RedDawg53
Witness The Kipnis

Unread postby statmasta » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:52 pm

RedDawg53 wrote:
statmasta wrote:

Thought Yan was a catcher... perhaps I was wrong

He is, but he played more first base (20 games) than catcher (9 games) for Toronto last year. And considering we already have a catcher and we don't have a first baseman.....

everything seems to point to him being a first baseman for us.
statmasta

Favorite Player: Sandy Alomar Jr.
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby OldDawg » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:12 am

Adverb Harry wrote:In Bastian's updated write up, Antonetti is quoted as saying that Aviles "plays the game the right way."

Oh, he's a grinder?
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB