Text Size

Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture

Disney buys rights to Star Wars for $4B

Title is self explanatory. Discuss Hollywood, films, TV, and anything else from the entertainment world here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mitch

Disney buys rights to Star Wars for $4B

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:21 am

Pretty interesting entertainment news the other day that most of you probably already heard in some way. Disney has acquired the rights to produce new Star Wars movies and is even already eyeing a 2015 release for Episode 7.

I was never a Star Wars nerd, but I did grow up watching the originals whenever they were on TV and still do if nothing else is on. Hated the "prequels" (and that word) with a passion. Apparently, these new films will be largely free of George Lucas's influence, who only looks to be behind basic story ideas and not (thank God) writing or directing. With new films featuring new talent behind the cameras and free to go off in new directions without having to shoehorn in explanations and references like the prequels were forced to, they could be interesting. Or, more likely, a major cash-in attempt by Disney.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Re: Disney buys rights to Star Wars for $4B

Unread postby StewieG » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:36 am

Disney's done really well by most of the companies they've acquired, so I'm optimistic. IMO, the Star Wars franchise has a lot more potential than Marvel's did, and look how well Marvel's doing now. I don't think Disney paid $4 Billion to make a few half-ass movies and try to cash in on those. They'll make the next 3 movies as good as they can make them, probably finish the Luke, Leia, and Han stories through these, then explore other areas of the lore, be it past or future.

There was a video game a few years ago called Knights of the Old Republic that was set something like 3000 years before these movies take place. It had an excellent story, and might be something they could want to pursue. Or they could look to the future and see what happens after Luke et al die, and go that route. Regardless, the point is that they have a huge, vast universe to explore, and I think that's the intent.

I did hear that this trilogy will be an original story, not one that's already been done in books or comics.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:46 am

"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:27 pm

Disney has chosen Michael Arndt as writer for Episode 7. Excellent hire. Won an academy award for Little Miss Sunshine, and has also written Toy Story 3, and is the writer for the second Hunger Games movie.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Return to Movies, Music, TV, Books, Pop Culture