Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Ubaldo option exercised, Hafner & Hernandez not

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Ubaldo option exercised, Hafner & Hernandez not

Unread postby dazindiansfanuk » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:40 pm

No real surprises, even though many of us were probably hoping to see the back of Jimenez.
dazindiansfanuk
Tyner Is God

Favorite Player: Jhonny Peralta
Least Favorite Player: Curt Schilling

Re: Ubaldo option exercised, Hafner & Hernandez not

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:52 pm

Good news...as long as they don't do something extraordinarily stupid like resigning Hafner to an incentive-laden deal. After the Grady fiasco this year, I don't think even they'd risk the same mistake again.

Picking Ubaldo's option up was a no-brainer, too. The guy's a stiff and will probably never amount to much in a Cleveland uniform, but for the price they paid to get him, they have to give him every last chance possible to prove otherwise.
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:26 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:Picking Ubaldo's option up was a no-brainer, too. The guy's a stiff and will probably never amount to much in a Cleveland uniform, but for the price they paid to get him, they have to give him every last chance possible to prove otherwise.

Bigger thing is his price tag. 5.75M isn't terrible in terms of a SP on the free agent market. Of course, he's no different than an injury reclamation project at this point, but this was a necessary evil. Rotation doesn't look better or worse with him in it. Like you said, have to hope they salvage something out of the deal.

Hope he gives you 180 above replacement level innings. That's about the best you can hope for.

I'll be interested to see what SP names they're linked to in free agency.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:38 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:Good news...as long as they don't do something extraordinarily stupid like resigning Hafner to an incentive-laden deal. After the Grady fiasco this year, I don't think even they'd risk the same mistake again.

I have been dreading the dreaded " extraordinarily stupid" incentive driven resigning of Bronk out of shear desperation. I really think the FO would do it on the cheap with less guaranteed. They know what they'd be getting for sure...a part-time DH that can't stay healthy.

You would think there is someone out there that can hit as well and actually make it through the season in the demanding DH position. Don't be shocked, Hafner looks around and there are no takers...............

:bunny:
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:45 pm

pod2dawg wrote:
Adverb Harry wrote:Good news...as long as they don't do something extraordinarily stupid like resigning Hafner to an incentive-laden deal. After the Grady fiasco this year, I don't think even they'd risk the same mistake again.

I have been dreading the dreaded " extraordinarily stupid" incentive driven resigning of Bronk out of shear desperation. I really think the FO would do it on the cheap with less guaranteed. They know what they'd be getting for sure...a part-time DH that can't stay healthy.

You would think there is someone out there that can hit as well and actually make it through the season in the demanding DH position. Don't be shocked, Hafner looks around and there are no takers...............

:bunny:

I really think so, too. We could probably even make a contest on this board...guess the date Hafner re-signs with the Tribe. I say November 23...that's when we got Grady back last year!
Adverb Harry

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:14 pm

That's so going to happen though. Hafner likes it here and will resign cheap. And the very sad truth of the Indians organization is they're so low on talent now, they don't have better options. Hafner will be the cheapest FA 'option' they have, and they'll take it.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby Dellucci TailGator » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:17 pm

Why do I get the feeling the Indians could be the first pro franchise to be outbid by Vince McMahon for the services of one of its players?
Dellucci TailGator

Favorite Player: Derek Lilliquist
Least Favorite Player: Matt LaPorta

Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB