Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Haslem Vs. Disney

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Haslem Vs. Disney

Unread postby justmebd » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Haslem Buys the Browns for $1.05 Billion in August.

Disney Buys the Star Wars franchise for $4.05 Billion today.

So . . . who got the better deal?

Who will see bigger profits over the next 10 years, and let's be serious, the NFL rakes in profits from all areas, just as Star Wars does.

Another point to consider, this NFL team is worth one quarter of what one of the most successful movie franchises in the history of the medium -- and they've sucked donkey balls for the last 12 years.

Food for thought/Discussion.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: Haslem Vs. Disney

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Charlie Frye > Jar Jar Binks
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:23 pm

They're both good deals. Both will pretty much print money for you. Star Wars has the higher earning potential though.

I'm already excited for the next movie - it'll probably be written by someone who's talented. Lucas, for all his good qualities, is not a good writer.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:29 pm

Interesting topic for the bye week.

But we still have the Ravens next up to extend the winning streak and an improbable victory gives us 3 out of 4.

Lars and FUDU have wood. Please, for their sake, stay focused on Baltimore.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:34 pm

What is the next movie? Episode 7 I assume?

I could get behind it if they took a redo on eps 1-3 too and we pretend that abomination never took place.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:52 pm

Yeah, ep 7, according to Yahoo

The seventh movie, with a working title of "Episode 7," is set for release in 2015. Episodes 8 and 9 will follow. The trilogy will continue the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond "Return of the Jedi," the third film released and the sixth in the saga. After that, Disney plans a new "Star Wars" movie every two or three years. Lucas will serve as creative consultant in the new movies.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-st ... 30937.html
StewieG

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:23 am

The natural question is who will be playing Han, Luke, and Leia? No way it's broken down Harrison Ford or hefty Carrie Fisher.

It would be a nice gesture if they wiped the earth clean of the Ep 1-3 stain.

And to answer: Disney got the better deal. The NFL's decline is inevitable.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby jerryroche » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:39 am

Hikohadon wrote:The natural question is who will be playing Han, Luke, and Leia? No way it's broken down Harrison Ford or hefty Carrie Fisher.

I think we'll be looking at the adventures of Han and Leia's offspring, probably played by someone we've never heard of. Just hope we don't have any Disney fairies flying around. Jar Jar was bad enough.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby rk » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Hikohadon wrote:And to answer: Disney got the better deal. The NFL's decline is inevitable.

You obviously missed ep 1-3 and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull if you think that Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises' declines are less precipitous than the NFL's.

Had they managed to get this while removing Lucas' influence for future projects then I would have said Disney won. However he still gets creative license in future projects so unless he dies before these get produced it's unlikely that the storylines are worth people spending money on. Special effects don't exactly guarantee profits either. Right Disney's John Carter?

I think Haslem has the better ROI.
"If your mouthpiece is strong, she’ll give you some money." - D. West
rk

Favorite Player: Ozzie Newsome
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:29 pm

rk wrote:You obviously missed ep 1-3 and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull if you think that Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises' declines are less precipitous than the NFL's.

You're forgetting your audience - plenty of 8 year olds out there think Ep 1-3 were the shiznet. I know several.

The NFL may get as stupid as Jar-Jar as it trends towards a two-hand touch league played solely indoors, but there won't be as many 8 year olds demanding to watch it as the adults say "Fuck this noise".

Despite the epic fail of Ep 1-3, you know 10 million dipshits will be camping in line to get Ep 7 tickets. But give the Browns another 3 years of 4-12 and they won't have enough fan attendance to fill Wolstein.

Agree on Lucas, though. I walked past him once in a dark parking lot in San Diego, immediately chastised myself for not killing him when I had the chance.
Hikohadon

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:16 pm

As an avid and frankly embarrassing star wars fan, I have to say, with the benefit of hindsight, the prequels, were mostly ok. The second was an abortion, true, and Jar Jar was just a mistake. But III was legitimately good and I seems to be better than I remember it at the time.

II was really bad though.

In any case, we'll know soon enough whether or not this will be good. If they do the Thrawn trilogy then holy Gods, these movies will be awesome. Anything else and Disney will have failed their first major test.

Indy IV was pretty bad too, but that was more Spielberg than Lucas, IIRC.

Disney is the clear winner here, unless Haslem has us winning the SB before the new movies are out.

And before anyone accuses me of being 12, my wife and I met because of Star Wars, more than a decade ago.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:40 pm

bac5665 wrote:As an avid and frankly embarrassing star wars fan, I have to say, with the benefit of hindsight, the prequels, were mostly ok. The second was an abortion, true, and Jar Jar was just a mistake. But III was legitimately good and I seems to be better than I remember it at the time.

II was really bad though.

In any case, we'll know soon enough whether or not this will be good. If they do the Thrawn trilogy then holy Gods, these movies will be awesome. Anything else and Disney will have failed their first major test.

Indy IV was pretty bad too, but that was more Spielberg than Lucas, IIRC.

Disney is the clear winner here, unless Haslem has us winning the SB before the new movies are out.

And before anyone accuses me of being 12, my wife and I met because of Star Wars, more than a decade ago.

I'm thinking Disney will completely ignore any and all Expanded Universe (As it is known) with their sequels. I know the article said Episodes 7-9 are from a Lucas outline, but if he no longer is directing and the script is put into a competent director's hands (Like a certain movie called Empire Strikes Back) than we should be in for some GOOD movies.

Ignoring the EU is (mostly) a good thing, but that being said, there are things to cherry pick out of the Zahn novels that definitely are worth keeping. I gave up trying to read most of the other EU novels when they started blowing up the Falcon, killing Chewbacca and generally doing batshit crazy things so they could have an "Event" novel.

Indy IV: That was Lucas. In fact, Spielberg threw Lucas under the bus in an interview about it earlier this year. I'd give you a link but I no longer remember where I read it.
justmebd

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:43 pm

I agree that they will ignore the EU, but I think that the Thrawn trilogy is, by a wide margin, the best place to start with sequels and the best source material from the EU. The Jedi Academy trilogy being a close second.

And I am apparently the only person who liked the NJO books. Go figure.
bac5665

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:29 pm

bac5665 wrote:I agree that they will ignore the EU, but I think that the Thrawn trilogy is, by a wide margin, the best place to start with sequels and the best source material from the EU. The Jedi Academy trilogy being a close second.

And I am apparently the only person who liked the NJO books. Go figure.

Hated the Jedi Academy, quickly realized the NJO books would not be my cup of tea.

The Thrawn trilogy is very good, and Zahn is one of the few authors who "gets it" when he's writing, which is why cherry-picking his stuff would be a good idea.
justmebd

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:34 pm

And that near universal love of the Thrawn stuff is why Disney needs to start there. Completely revives the franchise as good sci-fi.
bac5665

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:36 pm

Nerds.
StewieG

Unread postby bac5665 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:44 pm

We're all here posting on a Cleveland sports forum. Everyone here is a nerd.
bac5665

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:52 pm

Haha I know. I love my Star Wars too. Though I've never read any of the books.
StewieG

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:17 pm

StewieG wrote:Haha I know. I love my Star Wars too. Though I've never read any of the books.

Read the books by Timothy Zahn and James Luceno.

Everything else is REALLY hit or miss (mostly miss)

The "Dark Empire" Mini Series and the 50-issue "Legacy" series from Dark Horse Comics also are very good reads.
justmebd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:17 pm

I don't pretend to not be a nerd, but you guys are speaking Kazhakistani.

Of course, my depth on Star Wars phenomenon equals Empire Strikes Back is great, Star Wars is good, Return of the Jedi is meh, and that's all there is.
Hikohadon

Unread postby justmebd » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:52 pm

Hikohadon wrote:I don't pretend to not be a nerd, but you guys are speaking Kazhakistani.

Of course, my depth on Star Wars phenomenon equals Empire Strikes Back is great, Star Wars is good, Return of the Jedi is meh, and that's all there is.

I worked in a comic book store for five years, and I'm an award-winning Free Lance Writer for Dungeons & Dragons.

That being said, Hasbro fired all the freelance writers when they bought D&D in 2003, so I've been on the outside for 10 frustrating years.

I am a geek, as if my avatar didn't already tell you that. Yet my wife still loves me, bless her heart.
justmebd

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:00 pm

justmebd wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:I don't pretend to not be a nerd, but you guys are speaking Kazhakistani.

I worked in a comic book store for five years, and I'm an award-winning Free Lance Writer for Dungeons & Dragons.

That being said, Hasbro fired all the freelance writers when they bought D&D in 2003, so I've been on the outside for 10 frustrating years.

I am a geek, as if my avatar didn't already tell you that. Yet my wife still loves me, bless her heart.

And they always bust my balls about D&D even though I never played. I did read the shit out of some Weiss and Hickman, though.

I always thought your avatar looked like Raistlin.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:31 am

motherscratcher wrote:
justmebd wrote:

And they always bust my balls about D&D even though I never played. I did read the shit out of some Weiss and Hickman, though.

Dragonlance is simply one of the best fantasy series ever produced and the authors are two of the nicest people you'd ever meet.

I dressed as Raistlin for Halloween back in the late 80's, but my avatar actually is the Archlich Vecna from the Greyhawk world. I've been meaning to change it, but I've just been too lazy.
justmebd

Unread postby FUDU » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:48 am

Biggest difference IMO is Haslem is working more toward a younger demographic in general, while he tries to grow his Browns empire. Disney, with this desire for more Star Wars, is placing a lot of focus on older generations, particularly generation X, and that's a good way to reach gen X's kids.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:13 am

justmebd wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
justmebd wrote:

Dragonlance is simply one of the best fantasy series ever produced and the authors are two of the nicest people you'd ever meet.

I dressed as Raistlin for Halloween back in the late 80's, but my avatar actually is the Archlich Vecna from the Greyhawk world. I've been meaning to change it, but I've just been too lazy.

I've never played D&D, but I did read the Dragonlance series and I do know who Raistlin is, so I'm at least half-geek.

The D&D Choose Your Own Adventures (not their name, but that format) were pretty badass when I was a kid.
Hikohadon

Unread postby rk » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:06 pm

justmebd wrote:I dressed as Raistlin for Halloween back in the late 80's, but my avatar actually is the Archlich Vecna from the Greyhawk world. I've been meaning to change it, but I've just been too lazy.

How'd you get the hourglass eyes and what color robe did you pick? ;-) ;) :wink:

Still a little surprised those never made it onto at least the little screen. Great storylines and characters and probably more appealing across sexes than most sci-fi.

Whatever they pick for the continuing storyline of Star Wars will almost certainly have to bow to the reality that you can't 'recast' Han Solo or most of the other human characters. Been a long time since I read Star Wars books but most if not all involved the primary ep 4-6 chars and any Hollywood directory is going to want a different storyline.

I recall Lucas being very explicit years ago that he had no intention of linking his movies to the world created in the books. And that he had already planned out his movies past Ep6. So hopes that they use the books are likely going to be fleeting. I always thought that the Rogue Squadron series would have translated well to the theater. Wedge was one of the better characters in the books and Star Wars always did better focusing on small parts of the bigger universe.

But I fully expect to be disappointed with their script selection.
rk

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:12 pm

rk wrote:
justmebd wrote:I dressed as Raistlin for Halloween back in the late 80's, but my avatar actually is the Archlich Vecna from the Greyhawk world. I've been meaning to change it, but I've just been too lazy.

How'd you get the hourglass eyes and what color robe did you pick? ;-) ;) :wink:

Still a little surprised those never made it onto at least the little screen. Great storylines and characters and probably more appealing across sexes than most sci-fi.

Gotta go Black. He was always more badass when he wasn't sitting on the fence/spitting up blood.

I always thought the first series at least was custom made for the screen. Lots of action.

After that, I only read the twins time-travelling series, which I found meh and stopped there.
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:25 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
rk wrote:

Gotta go Black. He was always more badass when he wasn't sitting on the fence/spitting up blood.

I always thought the first series at least was custom made for the screen. Lots of action.

After that, I only read the twins time-travelling series, which I found meh and stopped there.

Well, in that case you've got to go Red, right? Put on the black and you're Fistandauntilus, who was pretty bad ass himself, but like you, I prefer the fence sitting blood spitter better.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby LarsHancock » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:03 pm

Here's a little quiz, I call it Haslam or Disney. The answers to these questions will be either "Haslam" or "Disney"

1) Just bought a franchise that has been complete and utter shit for decades
2) Just bought a franchise that has rabid fans who will eat buckets full of shit just because they love what it used to be
3) Takes over from an incompetent owner that did everything he could to soil the good name of the franchise
4) Fans of the franchise pin their hopes on this new owner to restore previous greatness as they lead themselves to believe the new owner has a history of competence
5) Know they can make assloads of money regardless of whether they improve the franchise or not
6) New assloads of money, over and above the assloads made even under incompetent management, are already on the trucks because the fans now have reinvigorated hope in the future of the franchise
7) Fans are really looking forward to 2015, but will likely be disappointed then too.
8) Thinks Pat Shurmur is an idiot and can barely control the urge to go on the field and strangle his clueless ass

Answers:
1) Disney! The Browns have been shit for longer than decades.
2) Haslam! With the aging NFL fan base, most of the fans remember the good ol' days. Star Wars actually has new fans who like the new garbage, Cleveland doesn't.
3) Disney! A little esoteric here - Lerner left the doors of the house unlocked and abandoned it, Lucas soaked his in gas and burned it to the ground.
4) Haslam! We think because Haslam owned .000001% of the Steelers that suddenly he'll build a perennial contender here. Star Wars fans know Disney produces horrible movies.
5) Disney! Haslam knows he's got to improve the product to retain the attention and dollars of his fanbase, and to add new fans to the fold.
6) Haslam! We all believe!
7) Disney! Browns fans won't think 2015 will be the year until the 4-12 campaign of 2014 is over.
8) Disney! Remember, they own ESPN, and would love to hav the Browns on MNF, but they can't possibly put Shurmur on national TV.
LarsHancock

Favorite Player: Armagnac
Least Favorite Player: Rumple Minze

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:13 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:
rk wrote:

Well, in that case you've got to go Red, right? Put on the black and you're Fistandauntilus, who was pretty bad ass himself, but like you, I prefer the fence sitting blood spitter better.

Who you casting for this, Mo?

My only suggestion: As Sturm

Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:53 pm

LOL, well, you nailed Sturm. I'll have to think about the rest of them.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby rk » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Elijah Wood is skinny enough but already played a hobbit. The kid from Harry Potter would work but he's a terrible actor and already played a wizard.

I'd vote Jack Gleeson for Raistlin. Bunch of other kid actors from Game of Thrones might fit the bill as well. You need someone who's skin and bones and would look natural with hour glass eyes.
rk

Unread postby justmebd » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:32 pm

I went as Black-Robed Raistlin and painted my face and hands gold. I looked around for some kind of contact to apply for the Hourglass Eyes, but couldn't find one. Wore a white wig and found a staff that kind of resembled Raistlin's.

Hiko: Give the Time Traveling Twins story another chance. Book 3 of that series still ranks among my favorites of their work.

Casting: If this were 10 years ago, I'd say Daniel-Day Lewis as Sturm, but now I think he'd be dreamcast as Lord Soth.

At the moment, Hasbro has mothballed the Dragonlance Saga, but an Animated version of the first book was released on DVD about four years ago. It was okay.

Lars: Great quiz. Bravo, Sir!!
justmebd

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:35 pm

justmebd wrote:Hiko: Give the Time Traveling Twins story another chance. Book 3 of that series still ranks among my favorites of their work.

At the moment, Hasbro has mothballed the Dragonlance Saga, but an Animated version of the first book was released on DVD about four years ago. It was okay.

Admittedly, I was 13 or 14 when I read it, so any opinion formed at the time is subject to review.

I saw a Youtube preview for that animated movie - man that animation is cheap-looking.
Hikohadon

Unread postby andrew6586 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:37 am

Hikohadon wrote:The natural question is who will be playing Han, Luke, and Leia? No way it's broken down Harrison Ford or hefty Carrie Fisher.

I think its fair to expect cameos from Hammel and Fischer. Fischer probably needs the money... for more coke.
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby andrew6586 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:40 am

rk wrote:Elijah Wood is skinny enough but already played a hobbit. The kid from Harry Potter would work but he's a terrible actor and already played a wizard.

I'd vote Jack Gleeson for Raistlin. Bunch of other kid actors from Game of Thrones might fit the bill as well. You need someone who's skin and bones and would look natural with hour glass eyes.

Come on man, who wouldn't want to go from being that dork from Nerd of the Rings to being that super dork from Star Wars?
Once a fan, always a fan.
On Twitter @apac6586
andrew6586
Church of Asdrubal

Favorite Player: Kenny Lofton
Least Favorite Player: Mark Shapiro

Unread postby rbm0183 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:16 am

The Emperor of the NFL is accelerating its decline with every bad decision. Disney's investment definitely has better long term prospects.
---"It was great training being there. They do it with character and intelligence. They run that organization the right way. They build through the draft. They're patient. It's just the right way to do it. It was a tremendous opportunity to be with them." Jimmy Haslam on why he'd model the Browns after the Steelers, 10/16/12
:loadof:
rbm0183

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:20 am

andrew6586 wrote:

I think its fair to expect cameos from Hammel and Fischer. Fischer probably needs the money... for more cake.

FTFY

Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:16 pm

Holy Mary Mother of God stick a pin in it abnd let some air out...!

Geezuz...she looks like DeVito's Penguin character from Batman
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby LarsHancock » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Maybe they can write in a character that is Leia's daughter after she was impregnated by Jabba when she was his slave.
LarsHancock

Favorite Player: Armagnac
Least Favorite Player: Rumple Minze

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL