Text Size

College Sports Arena

Bucks Vs PSU

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Re: Bucks Vs PSU

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Sheesh do you guys even know what shits and giggles means...

The kid CAN throw the ball, I'm just interested in seeing him do so from the most comfortable position possible. B/C as furls has stated often, he isn't doing all that well with it while having his mind on three things at once.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Squints wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:
Squints wrote: I told the obnoxious fan who sat next to my wife at halftime that Penn State is becoming a volleyball school and will be so for a long time- he didn't see my point.

He will. Peeshu lost 14 transfers this year. After this season there will be more because they can still transfer with no penalty. Couple that with the sanctions and yep........."side out."

After the long introduction and the listings of the Majorettes' accolades before their pre-game performance, I leaned toward my wife and said that PSU will now be known as baton twirling U. She did get it, and was not amused.

Or Volleyball U. Or Soccer U. Lots of high quality athletics. Lots of high quality academics. It's a great university that got WAAAAAAY outta whack. I hope it rebounds completely.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:34 pm

furls wrote:
peeker643 wrote:
FUDU wrote:Also, I asked this back with JT, TP & Herron (b/c they did this a few times)....but why a direct snap to Hyde, ever? I mean it is nothing more than the wildcat, except without an option of wild (or success IMO). You have an inherent WC built in anytime you have a BM (or TP), then add Urban's offense to the mix....sheesh.

Yeah... I tried mentioning that in Week 1 with the short yardage play calling and was told they were setting a trend and establishing an attitude.

I didn't know it was actually for trickeration in Week 9. Love Urban Meyer, but the play call in Week 1 and that 3rd and 1 WC with Hyde lined up and Miller split wide was fucking dumb.

And dude is 9-0 and a legit Heisman candidate in a brand new system after playing freshman season in a quagmire of shit . Leave him alone. He CAN throw. I was sitting there yesterday watching him miss the same wide open guys y'all were and probably more given I could see the whole field. I get it. But how about we give him two years in one system and let them work on his mechanics this offseason when he doesn't have to learn a completely new offense. Let him play instead of think. He has the arm and he has the ability. What he needs is the GD stability.

And I disagree with nearly everything Squints said about PSU. From where I was it was acknowledgment mixed with wanting to move on. Not much bitterness, a lot of passion and still probably my favorite sports venue. By far.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. READ MY FUCKING POSTS. At no point did I say, get him the hell out of the game at QB. There is growing discontent with Miller as a passer and I get it and to be honest I am concerned. I think he will improve, but man, he is NOT a very good QB righ now. He nearly threw 2 pick 6's in the first quarter alone (they should've been). He missed receivers with no one with 10 yards of making a play again.

OSU has been B1G championship level for awhile and they are again, and that is nice, but if they are going to be NC level, he has to get ALOT better. He will have to be able to not only hit open receivers, but he will have to be able to read much better defenses and throw players open. He is not close to that right now. He has a long way to go.

Dude, check your caps button. It's either sticking or stuck on d-bag font. ;-) ;) :wink:

I didn't say you advocated sitting him down or changing his position. I said he should be left alone and given two years in the system before he's even judged. He was brutal last night for 90% of the time. He missed wide open guys by 5-10 yards and he should have had two balls picked. At least (and to be fair, McGloin should have had a couple picked before his Pick 6).

Meyer and Miller are smart enough to at least pick out one-on-one coverage and throw deep to at least make defenses honor the pass. Otherwise Miller would be looking at 8-9 in the box all night.

I'm saying it's nowhere to close to fair to even judge him as a QB today. You have to wait and see where he is this time next season.

And no, Miller should never, ever be in a pro set if winning games and giving yourself the best chance to do so is any consideration at all.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby furls » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:47 pm

I apologize for CAPS LOCKING seven words, but I feel like I have pissed in the holy grail here for even harboring a doubt about Miller's actual QB (non Tailback) skills. He has looked pretty crappy (not quite Denard Robinsonesque) as a passer most of the season. His mechanics are still rough (much better than Pryor's), he still does not see the field (at all) and when he does see someone he misses them about as much as he hits them.

He shows flashes of being a QB, but that is where we are, flashes. Obviously I think that his play in the passing game thus far has been questionable and I am questioning it. I do find it ironic though that you of all people are giving me shit for not drinking the kool aid as you say that you cannot say anything even close to negative about Buckeye players here or you will get lambasted.

Miller has been a hell of a player to this point and without him this team probably has 3 losses or more, but I am not interested in OSUs 17th B1G championship in the last XXX years. I am interested in seeing a team that will compete for NCs. We'll see where miller ends up in two years, but if he is not a viable passing QB in two years then it won't matter because tOSU will not win games like this week's against a good team with a QB performance like that.

FYI, we are already seeing a shit ton of 8 man fronts which is weird for a team playing from the spread. Meyer/Herman's spread concepts are what is actually keeping this offense moving. Pro Sets would cram that box tighter than..... (you fill in the tight box cramming reference of your choice)
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:44 am

Weird part is that it feels like BM has regressed a bit from earlier in the year; feels like he was at least hitting slightly more than missing in the early going, now he's overthrowing those same wide open receivers by 5 ft every other throw.

Bizarro, but fixable.
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:06 am

furls wrote:I apologize for CAPS LOCKING seven words, but I feel like I have pissed in the holy grail here for even harboring a doubt about Miller's actual QB (non Tailback) skills. He has looked pretty crappy (not quite Denard Robinsonesque) as a passer most of the season. His mechanics are still rough (much better than Pryor's), he still does not see the field (at all) and when he does see someone he misses them about as much as he hits them.

He shows flashes of being a QB, but that is where we are, flashes. Obviously I think that his play in the passing game thus far has been questionable and I am questioning it. I do find it ironic though that you of all people are giving me shit for not drinking the kool aid as you say that you cannot say anything even close to negative about Buckeye players here or you will get lambasted.

Miller has been a hell of a player to this point and without him this team probably has 3 losses or more, but I am not interested in OSUs 17th B1G championship in the last XXX years. I am interested in seeing a team that will compete for NCs. We'll see where miller ends up in two years, but if he is not a viable passing QB in two years then it won't matter because tOSU will not win games like this week's against a good team with a QB performance like that.

FYI, we are already seeing a shit ton of 8 man fronts which is weird for a team playing from the spread. Meyer/Herman's spread concepts are what is actually keeping this offense moving. Pro Sets would cram that box tighter than..... (you fill in the tight box cramming reference of your choice)

Man, you're sensitive. I understand the doubts and the criticisms and I'd agee he's regressed (or is facing better competition, or a combo). All your points and observations are true including what will happen in a real season against national title contenders.

All I'm saying is I can't truly criticize the kid until he has more than a season in any given system so he his natural ability can take over and not everything is him having to think things through on the filed.

That's it. If he fails to improve by this time next year then yeah, they can't beat the very best with Rex Kern.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby furls » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:00 am

peeker643 wrote:
furls wrote:I apologize for CAPS LOCKING seven words, but I feel like I have pissed in the holy grail here for even harboring a doubt about Miller's actual QB (non Tailback) skills. He has looked pretty crappy (not quite Denard Robinsonesque) as a passer most of the season. His mechanics are still rough (much better than Pryor's), he still does not see the field (at all) and when he does see someone he misses them about as much as he hits them.

Man, you're sensitive. I understand the doubts and the criticisms and I'd agee he's regressed (or is facing better competition, or a combo). All your points and observations are true including what will happen in a real season against national title contenders.

All I'm saying is I can't truly criticize the kid until he has more than a season in any given system so he his natural ability can take over and not everything is him having to think things through on the filed.

That's it. If he fails to improve by this time next year then yeah, they can't beat the very best with Rex Kern.

Not as sensitive as the guy who throws the D-bag key crap out there. I didn't post the whole thing in caps, just the relevant parts. You make it sound like I am calling for Guiton or something idiotic like that, and this coming from the same guy that calls out all Buckeye fans on this board for their inability to objectively look at our players/program etc. is particularly rich.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:19 am

furls wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Not as sensitive as the guy who throws the D-bag key crap out there. I didn't post the whole thing in caps, just the relevant parts. You make it sound like I am calling for Guiton or something idiotic like that, and this coming from the same guy that calls out all Buckeye fans on this board for their inability to objectively look at our players/program etc. is particularly rich.

No dude, your interpretation is what's skewed. I didn't make it sound like anything. The letters are in order forming the words that you read. They say what exactly what I wrote.

He's been less than effective throwing the ball. Downright awful at times and fortunate it hasn't cost him/OSU big. There are reasons for it that prevent me from judging him on it until next season.

Any interpretation issues are yours and yours alone. And I didn't call out "all" Buckeye fans on this board for being less than objective. You're personalizing a post that was in general in nature and said he should be left alone until he has a second spring and offseason in the same system.

The funny part is we agree on the underlying principle: He's been ineffective throwing the football and he can't be if OSU is to actually be able to compete with the top tier of national powers.

If he doesn't improve they'd still likely be the cats ass in the B1G w/o being a serious threat in the National Championship picture. And that's not the goal at all.

Don't know how else to say it so I'll leave it at that.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:04 pm

From the B1G Coaches Teleconference (per Rivals and Twitter):

-Meyer said that Ryan Shazier's best game was against Purdue. Called him a big safety running around at the linebacker position, but that Luke Fickell's done a good job settling him down.

-Meyer said the key to Shazier's success is for him to maintain his leverage. Called him one of the culprits of the inordinate amount of big plays the Buckeyes have given up.

------------

As I was saying.....
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Previous

Return to College Sports Arena