Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

10/28 Chargers at Browns

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:09 pm

Anyone here?
User avatar
BruceK
BJKResearch.com
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Lakewood OH
Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:10 pm

Can't find a good link to watch the game... Anyone?
User avatar
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!
 
Posts: 1927
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Brooklyn
Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:17 pm

sorry - I'm local so I'm watching on TV
User avatar
BruceK
BJKResearch.com
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Lakewood OH
Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:19 pm

http://www.thefirstrow.eu has a couple decent ones.

D line stepping up there.
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:28 pm

When you have a high draft pick playing like a high draft pick....
User avatar
BruceK
BJKResearch.com
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Lakewood OH
Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby Spin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Today's drinking game.

Hit a shot every time the Browns drop a pass that hits them in the gawd damn hands. :cheers:

We'll be passed out by halftime.
User avatar
Spin
 
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:16 am
Location: the burbs of Akron
Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:29 pm

I think TRich is back today.
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:36 pm

Wow, Shurmer wins a challenge!
User avatar
BruceK
BJKResearch.com
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Lakewood OH
Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:49 pm

Nice, trying to get cute. Lose 20 yards. D was already there, as well. But hey, not going to complain about being up 7-0 after 1.
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby dpdad » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:51 pm

WTF was that play call?
dpdad
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:42 am
Location: Independence, Ohio

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:58 pm

This Winn fella can play
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6430
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:58 pm

another failed screen pass
User avatar
BruceK
BJKResearch.com
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Lakewood OH
Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:19 pm

Nice little drive we've got here. Has to be 4 down territory.
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Punting from the 38 is asinine. Don't care who you are. Yay, you saved 18 yards of field position.
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:31 pm

fairvis wrote:Punting from the 38 is asinine. Don't care who you are. Yay, you saved 18 yards of field position.

The instant they sent out the punt team I knew SD would put points on the board. Its 4 down territory in that situation, yet on 3rd they were looking for a 1st all the way instead of trying to shorten the 4th. And if you're going to punt, at least take a delay of game to increase the odds of Hodges pinning it. God I hate Shurmur.
User avatar
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!
 
Posts: 1927
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: Brooklyn
Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby StewieG » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:38 pm

In other news, Pittsburgh may be wearing the worst uniforms I've ever seen. They look like jailbird honeybees. Worse than all of Oregon's abominations put together.
StewieG
 
Posts: 4019
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:40 pm

StewieG wrote:In other news, Pittsburgh may be wearing the worst uniforms I've ever seen. They look like jailbird honeybees. Worse than all of Oregon's abominations put together.


The uniforms work for Ben
User avatar
BruceK
BJKResearch.com
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Lakewood OH
Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby StewieG » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:41 pm

The horizontal stripes make him look fatter.
StewieG
 
Posts: 4019
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:51 pm

I hope James Harrison likes the stripes, I can see him sporting the look after he is forced into retirement with nobody to legally hit anymore.
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1451
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:53 pm

Feel free to fall on that punt Josh.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:06 pm

We won't be winning the field position battle if we keep on exchanging punts
User avatar
BruceK
BJKResearch.com
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Lakewood OH
Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Why do I feel like we've already lost this game?

Oh that's right, Pat Shurmur still is the head coach.
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1451
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Geez was this a long quarter. Especially considering almost nothing happened
User avatar
BruceK
BJKResearch.com
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Lakewood OH
Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:36 pm

OK, let's take some time off the clock and get a nice drive going here...
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby StewieG » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:39 pm

This just feels like a 9-7 finish, doesn't it?
StewieG
 
Posts: 4019
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Youngstown, Ohio
Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:41 pm

I want to kill SHUR and bury him next to Chilly.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:44 pm

Wow, a first down, didn't see that coming
User avatar
BruceK
BJKResearch.com
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Lakewood OH
Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:51 pm

I don't like a lot of the rules protecting QBs, but that was a clear example of what should've been flagged after the QB takes a slide. Ugh. Now here's where SD drives down and kicks a GW field goal.
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby Pabo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:52 pm

StewieG wrote:This just feels like a 9-7 finish, doesn't it?


Yuuup!
Bottom 4th: Cleveland
- J. Kipnis grounded out to shortstop
- A. Cabrera doubled to deep left
- N. Swisher doubled to center, A. Cabrera scored
- J. Giambi doubled to deep right center, N. Swisher to third, N. Swisher out at home
- J. Giambi caught stealing, catcher to third

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
User avatar
Pabo
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Location: Weirton, WV, USA
Favorite Player: Jason Giambi
Least Favorite Player: Joe Haden

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:57 pm

We all know how this is going to end
User avatar
BruceK
BJKResearch.com
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Lakewood OH
Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:01 pm

One more play. Huge.
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:02 pm

BruceK wrote:We all know how this is going to end

With a Browns win?
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby fairvis » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Wow. Holy shit, they pulled it off. Props to the D today.
User avatar
fairvis
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby BruceK » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Of course, that's what I meant.
User avatar
BruceK
BJKResearch.com
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:45 pm
Location: Lakewood OH
Favorite Player: Reggie Dunlop
Least Favorite Player: Ogie Oglethorpe

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby justmebd » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:05 pm

*High Five* :dingle:
User avatar
justmebd
 
Posts: 1451
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby Pabo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Norv Turner should be fired prior to the flight home.
Bottom 4th: Cleveland
- J. Kipnis grounded out to shortstop
- A. Cabrera doubled to deep left
- N. Swisher doubled to center, A. Cabrera scored
- J. Giambi doubled to deep right center, N. Swisher to third, N. Swisher out at home
- J. Giambi caught stealing, catcher to third

1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors
User avatar
Pabo
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Location: Weirton, WV, USA
Favorite Player: Jason Giambi
Least Favorite Player: Joe Haden

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:26 pm

Let me preface this by saying that anytime Pat Shurmer and Norv Turner lock horns, you can expect the same high comedy you got today.

Secondly preface this by saying I'd bet 90% of the fans down there would exchange a high noon punch in the face as trade for the four hours of life they just wasted down there. (My estimate may be a bit high because I'm unsure of the "lifer" percentage.)

Congratulations to Pat Shurmer in becoming the first coach in the history of the league to score on the opening drive, and then try to run out the clock over the next 2 hours and 50 minutes.

Turner and Shurmer using up 2nd half timeouts in order to orchestrate dive plays and two yards outs was fantastic, yet predictable.

I'm not sure what the hell to make of Weeden. Not sure anyone's gonna gain yards in that offense. As I've mentioned before, NFL people have mentioned that damn near anyone can tell what's coming. Look at the Browns screen and draw games over the last month or so. These are "deceptive" type plays that are gonna gain yards by accident - with only the critical yards determined by execution - and they can't gain a GD yard on these plays. That's a pretty good indicator of a horrible offense. F'ing horrible.

You know it's a Browns games when two punters are locking horns for game MVP.

Haslam looking on, nail meet coffin.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6556
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby pup » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:57 pm

Only Norv can Out-Pat Pat.

I watch paint dry for a living. And that game was the most boring stretch of time I have had in a long time.

Not that I mind a win, but :gah: :pb: (cache)
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:24 pm

pup wrote:Only Norv can Out-Pat Pat.

I watch paint dry for a living. And that game was the most boring stretch of time I have had in a long time.

Not that I mind a win, but :gah: :pb: (cache)


Maybe they'll fly Shurmy to flip the coin in for the Thursday night tilt between Norv and Romeo. Hope someone reminds those guys the game is on Thursday.

Incidentally, wonder what the fact that there is practically a LOCK that a half dozen NFL coaching jobs will be available this offseason - I could see as many as 8, does to the Browns scramble to find someone who knows what the hell is going on?
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6556
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:51 pm

leadpipe wrote:Let me preface this by saying that anytime Pat Shurmer and Norv Turner lock horns, you can expect the same high comedy you got today.

Secondly preface this by saying I'd bet 90% of the fans down there would exchange a high noon punch in the face as trade for the four hours of life they just wasted down there. (My estimate may be a bit high because I'm unsure of the "lifer" percentage.)

Congratulations to Pat Shurmer in becoming the first coach in the history of the league to score on the opening drive, and then try to run out the clock over the next 2 hours and 50 minutes.

Turner and Shurmer using up 2nd half timeouts in order to orchestrate dive plays and two yards outs was fantastic, yet predictable.

I'm not sure what the hell to make of Weeden. Not sure anyone's gonna gain yards in that offense. As I've mentioned before, NFL people have mentioned that damn near anyone can tell what's coming. Look at the Browns screen and draw games over the last month or so. These are "deceptive" type plays that are gonna gain yards by accident - with only the critical yards determined by execution - and they can't gain a GD yard on these plays. That's a pretty good indicator of a horrible offense. F'ing horrible.

You know it's a Browns games when two punters are locking horns for game MVP.

Haslam looking on, nail meet coffin.


I'll say one thing about the Shurminator - once he finds something that works, he's not afraid to go back to it again. And again. And again.

On the positive - Smith >>>>>> Marecic, and the run game between the tackles, especially when they pulled the backside G around, worked well.

As for the rest - I especially loved the sandlot double reverse when Cribbs flipped the ball up as if it were a live ferret. And running the Weeden roll right about 8 times, even after the Chargers stopped it the third, fourth, fifth, etc. time. Also notable is the Weeds one step drop to throw the quick out - it gives every DE a chance to pretend they're JJ Watt
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3659
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:27 pm

leadpipe wrote:Incidentally, wonder what the fact that there is practically a LOCK that a half dozen NFL coaching jobs will be available this offseason - I could see as many as 8, does to the Browns scramble to find someone who knows what the hell is going on?


If Haslam has even a moderate tendency to spend, that already puts us ahead of KC, Carolina, and Buffalo in the hunt. And no competent head coach is going to take being Jerruh's puppet.

That leaves, what, Philadelphia and maybe San Diego if they forget how Marty got run?
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:40 pm

Philly ought to be the belle of that ball, but the front office there is going to be a mess when they wrest control away from Reid. No one wants to work for AJ, despite how sexy the prospect of being in San Diego is.

I can't say that if the team continues to progress and show signs of life, I wouldn't rather the Cleveland gig over Buffalo or KC.

No idea what kind of pull Haslam is capable of. Might depend on who else is being replaced, and the connections there. (IE, what the new GM would be able to bring in)
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
User avatar
Gradysmanldy
 
Posts: 1530
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:58 pm
Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:20 pm

All I care about is the new coach running the 4-3. The WCO might be a bonus, but if yer putting up 7 points...I'm not sold.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
User avatar
bookelly
Happy Easter!!
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:56 am

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:
fairvis wrote:Punting from the 38 is asinine. Don't care who you are. Yay, you saved 18 yards of field position.

The instant they sent out the punt team I knew SD would put points on the board. Its 4 down territory in that situation, yet on 3rd they were looking for a 1st all the way instead of trying to shorten the 4th. And if you're going to punt, at least take a delay of game to increase the odds of Hodges pinning it. God I hate Shurmur.


Good thing he learned that lesson last week. :dead:
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
User avatar
Gradysmanldy
 
Posts: 1530
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:58 pm
Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:17 am

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
leadpipe wrote:Incidentally, wonder what the fact that there is practically a LOCK that a half dozen NFL coaching jobs will be available this offseason - I could see as many as 8, does to the Browns scramble to find someone who knows what the hell is going on?


If Haslam has even a moderate tendency to spend, that already puts us ahead of KC, Carolina, and Buffalo in the hunt. And no competent head coach is going to take being Jerruh's puppet.

That leaves, what, Philadelphia and maybe San Diego if they forget how Marty got run?


Actually you are missing quite a few teams. Here's a list of teams I think are likely to change coaches; Cle, KC, Jac, Car, Det, SD, Dal, Oak, Jets, Philly and Wash is always in the mix, and Cincy should be. I'ts a LOCK half these teams switch, I would wager at kleast 3 quarters of em.

That's a lot of friggin' jobs. Not sure what the record turnover is, but it'll be broken this year.
User avatar
leadpipe
The Reverend
 
Posts: 6556
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:58 am

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:45 am

leadpipe wrote:
Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
leadpipe wrote:Incidentally, wonder what the fact that there is practically a LOCK that a half dozen NFL coaching jobs will be available this offseason - I could see as many as 8, does to the Browns scramble to find someone who knows what the hell is going on?


If Haslam has even a moderate tendency to spend, that already puts us ahead of KC, Carolina, and Buffalo in the hunt. And no competent head coach is going to take being Jerruh's puppet.

That leaves, what, Philadelphia and maybe San Diego if they forget how Marty got run?


Actually you are missing quite a few teams. Here's a list of teams I think are likely to change coaches; Cle, KC, Jac, Car, Det, SD, Dal, Oak, Jets, Philly and Wash is always in the mix, and Cincy should be. I'ts a LOCK half these teams switch, I would wager at kleast 3 quarters of em.

That's a lot of friggin' jobs. Not sure what the record turnover is, but it'll be broken this year.


CLE, KC, CAR, PHI, SD, and DAL are the most likely. Detroit? Doubt it. Cincy? Doubt it. JAX? They're gonna fire the HC after one season? Doubt it. Same with Oakland. Washington will finish around .500 so Shanahanahan will stay too. BUF? Maybe. Jets? Maybe.

8 at the most, but probably more like 6. Half of which will be more appetizing than the Cleveland job.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
User avatar
Hikohadon
 
Posts: 4278
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:33 am
Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:37 am

mattvan1 wrote:I'll say one thing about the Shurminator - once he finds something that works, he's not afraid to go back to it again. And again. And again.

On the positive - Smith >>>>>> Marecic, and the run game between the tackles, especially when they pulled the backside G around, worked well.

As for the rest - I especially loved the sandlot double reverse when Cribbs flipped the ball up as if it were a live ferret. And running the Weeden roll right about 8 times, even after the Chargers stopped it the third, fourth, fifth, etc. time. Also notable is the Weeds one step drop to throw the quick out - it gives every DE a chance to pretend they're JJ Watt


Yeah, you know, I agree. I'm with you. There was a lot to like there yesterday.

(Not sure if I need an emoticon)
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7731
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:00 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
leadpipe wrote:
Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
leadpipe wrote:Incidentally, wonder what the fact that there is practically a LOCK that a half dozen NFL coaching jobs will be available this offseason - I could see as many as 8, does to the Browns scramble to find someone who knows what the hell is going on?


If Haslam has even a moderate tendency to spend, that already puts us ahead of KC, Carolina, and Buffalo in the hunt. And no competent head coach is going to take being Jerruh's puppet.

That leaves, what, Philadelphia and maybe San Diego if they forget how Marty got run?


Actually you are missing quite a few teams. Here's a list of teams I think are likely to change coaches; Cle, KC, Jac, Car, Det, SD, Dal, Oak, Jets, Philly and Wash is always in the mix, and Cincy should be. I'ts a LOCK half these teams switch, I would wager at kleast 3 quarters of em.

That's a lot of friggin' jobs. Not sure what the record turnover is, but it'll be broken this year.


CLE, KC, CAR, PHI, SD, and DAL are the most likely. Detroit? Doubt it. Cincy? Doubt it. JAX? They're gonna fire the HC after one season? Doubt it. Same with Oakland. Washington will finish around .500 so Shanahanahan will stay too. BUF? Maybe. Jets? Maybe.

8 at the most, but probably more like 6. Half of which will be more appetizing than the Cleveland job.


I think a lot depends on how much power is given to Banner and who ends up being the GM. I can see downsides to many the teams you mention (including the Browns, of course), either from the roster or financial difficulties but mostly from my opinion that any coach worth is salt is not going to want to work under Jerry Jones or Scott Pioli or AJ Smith.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3659
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: 10/28 Chargers at Browns

Unread postby pup » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:08 pm

I hate it when my brain fails.

Someone was on the radio last week (maybe LaConforia or whatever his name is) saying there will be a bigger push for cleaning out front offices across the league than at any time in history. Of course, each of those will include a coaching change once a new GM is in place but the much bigger off season news will be the great GM Search.

I think if Banner was to keep Heckert, it would give the Browns a slight leg up on the coaching search. And of everyone in Berea, I believe Heckert deserves to keep his job out of everyone.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach


Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests