Text Size

No Holds Barred

Presidential Debates

Need to get something off your chest? Have a topic that doesn't fit one of the other forums? Rant away in here. Mature audiences only, not for the easily offended.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, Ziner

Re: Presidential Debates

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
jerryroche wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:And sometimes I'll listen to NPR news on the radio on the way to drop my daughters off at school (30 minute drive), but only if it's interesting (iffy) and only if sports talk radio is discussing something stupid.

So you're saying that you spend most of your time listening to NPR?

:thumb up:

Actually, I spend most of my morning drive listening to 97.5. It's the only station playing music at 7:30 am, apparently.

Then during commercials (or if I don't like the song), I check 850. What's Greenberg talking about? LeBron again? Next. 1350. Artrell Hawkins and some other somewhat annoying guy. Are they talking football? No, they're discussing Tiger Woods. Next. 92.3? Hell no, not while Chuck Booms is employed. I don't even bother trying that one. Next. NPR. Anything interesting? Nope, they're airing the opinions of college students about the presidential candidates. Like I care. Next.

And... back to 97.5. Just in time for the commercial to end.

Just get Sirius, cleveland radio sucks.

I finally caved and got it. NFL, NASCAR, College Sports, Mad Dog Radio, etc are awesome for sports talk, and the Music stations are miles better than the Clear Channel owned garbage that has taken over Cleveland.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:52 am

Triple-S wrote:Just get Sirius, cleveland radio sucks.

I finally caved and got it. NFL, NASCAR, College Sports, Mad Dog Radio, etc are awesome for sports talk, and the Music stations are miles better than the Clear Channel owned garbage that has taken over Cleveland.

I should do that. Laziness takes many forms.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Triple S, I like Sirius. I sometimes put music stations from it on the home entertainment system, via Dish.

I used to have a subscription that my wife got me. The receiver needed to get rebooted every so often, using the internet. All my saved settings would be erased. Also, I had the headphones, which was sometimes more cumbersome than I wanted. And the receiver needed to be near enough to a window to get reception.
My wife can't understand why I don't get back in, esp. when I get a promotion in the mail.

Are you aware of upgrades in the hardware? Any thoughts?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:58 pm

googleeph2 wrote:Triple S, I like Sirius. I sometimes put music stations from it on the home entertainment system, via Dish.

I used to have a subscription that my wife got me. The receiver needed to get rebooted every so often, using the internet. All my saved settings would be erased. Also, I had the headphones, which was sometimes more cumbersome than I wanted. And the receiver needed to be near enough to a window to get reception.
My wife can't understand why I don't get back in, esp. when I get a promotion in the mail.

Are you aware of upgrades in the hardware? Any thoughts?

The antennae situation remains an issue but you can also listen through a computer now, which makes the antennae issue moot in many ways. And if you have a Smart TV I imagine that wif thru that also works though I don't yet have that TV. Sirius also has a smart phone app that is pretty good too, making the service more portable.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Righty has turned this into a radio discussion thread. Tells you all you need to know about Mittens' debate performance.

"Binders full of women"

"Horses and bayonets"

2 best lines so far.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Orenthal » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Obama's abyssmal performance in debate #1 is still the trend. The rest is noise.
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby dmiles » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:55 am

If I could steal a line from the Debate....The 1980's called and Walter Mondale wants his class-warfare campaign strategy back.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:24 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Righty has turned this into a radio discussion thread. Tells you all you need to know about Mittens' debate performance.

"Binders full of women"

"Horses and bayonets"

2 best lines so far.

I'll take the bait. I am not thrilled with Romney's tactic of trying to remain above the fray. I think he accomplished what he intended to, but I don't trust the voters to see Obama in the way I do.

Binders- Honestly don't get why that is an issue. There was no disrespect with that. Red herring. (Best line? Kind of an eye-roller.)

Horses and bayonets- Yeah, the elitist professors in the audience chuckled. Score. Gotcha. Romney doesn't know we have an advanced military? Whatever. We won't get picky with our president, who is acting like the challenger, and comment much that the Marines still use bayonets and we are using horses right now, in Afghanistan (and surreptitiously in Pakistan?).

What part of his record is Obama running on again, exactly?

Besides getting bin Laden, with the help of intelligence-gathering techniques his party worked to block (and which he railed against publicly, actually calling it torture, while in Egypt).
googleeph2

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:26 am

ht_horses_bayonets_10_wy_121022_ssv.jpg
ht_horses_bayonets_10_wy_121022_ssv.jpg (27.09 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:34 pm

The fact that the Binders lie was an egregious lie is kind of a big deal? No?

http://blog.thephoenix.com/BLOGS/talkin ... inder.aspx

To say something that stupid and have it be blatantly un-true? Impressive.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:55 pm

Like Obama not knowing Rev Wright hated 'Murica big? Nice try, no one cares about that shit. Silly ass society where we measure an individual by how many women or minorities are in their cabinet. Jesus Christ; glad the majority of individuals deciding this shit kept the momentum going despite "bindergate".
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Unread postby Orenthal » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:58 pm

Also glad more people understand the substance of maritime security, than the style of a gotcha line. Impressive as it was...
Orenthal

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:01 pm

The binder stuff <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the exploding Libya coverup story.

To its credit, CNN is covering it. Shameful, pathetic, outrageous story, on multiple levels.
googleeph2

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:46 pm

Ah, never mind. Nobody cares. Hillary promises a full review; would certainly be a pleasant surprise if she were exonerated, huh? Either way, I am sure we'll hear the already-available details of the admistration's gross incompetence and protracted coverup by, say, December. Certainly, the highly principled "Bush lied, people died" folks will be holding their feet to the fire.

Meanwhile, back to entertainment!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... OfTheWeb_h

"What's welling up in America's ruling Democrats is not yet a full-throated scream of desperation," observes commentator Neil Macdonald, who is Canadian and therefore a neutral observer. "But as Samuel Johnson famously remarked, the prospect of being hanged in a fortnight concentrates the mind wonderfully."

True, as Macdonald says, "for the most part, Barack Obama's supporters are still clutching the cloak." Mitt Romney is only slightly ahead in most national polls, Obama clings to a slender lead in Ohio (though Josh Jordan argues at National Review Online that those polls seem to overrepresent Obama supporters who say they've already voted), and the New York Times's Nate Silver is still 1,000% (OK, 71%) behind Obama.

"Losing campaigns have a certain feel to them," observes the Times's Ross Douthat in a blog post. "They go negative hard, try out new messaging very late in the game, hype issues that only their core supporters are focused on, and try to turn non-gaffes and minor slip-ups by their opponents into massive, election-turning scandals." Though Douthat concludes his post with a bizarre and convoluted caveat that amounts to an acknowledgment that there is a nontrivial chance of an Obama victory.

We second that acknowledgment. It would be premature for the left to despair. This is a time for dread and denial. What also seems premature, although fun, is the rush to assign blame in advance for an Obama loss.

Matt Bai of the Times blames Bill Clinton, whose "expert advice about how to beat Mitt Romney is starting to look suspect":
googleeph2

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:59 pm

CNN blows up Obama's math...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ ... dd_up.html

So much for another of Obama's attacks on Romney... What a bullshitter!
Orenthal

Unread postby jerryroche » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:35 am

To emphasize how far CNN has gone to the middle, the Girl Next Door took Mitt's "budget-balancing" proposals to task Friday night. She came to the same conclusion as she did the previous evening with Obama's plan: The math doesn't add up, Mitt.

At least one one journalist has the courage to tell it like it is: Whomever is elected next month won't balance the budget in 2013 or even in 2020. So the $240 billion the government is WASTING each year on debt service (and think of all the good that could be done with a quarter-of-a-trillion dollars) will only grow.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Bernie-Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:29 pm

jerryroche wrote:To emphasize how far CNN has gone to the middle, the Girl Next Door took Mitt's "budget-balancing" proposals to task Friday night. She came to the same conclusion as she did the previous evening with Obama's plan: The math doesn't add up, Mitt.

At least one one journalist has the courage to tell it like it is: Whomever is elected next month won't balance the budget in 2013 or even in 2020. So the $240 billion the government is WASTING each year on debt service (and think of all the good that could be done with a quarter-of-a-trillion dollars) will only grow.

It's depressing. And even if one of these guys actually did have a viable plan to balance the budget, eliminate the deficit and begin shrinking the debt, the opposing party would do everything in it's power to never ever allow it to happen.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:37 pm

It's hard not to acknowledge that to a large degree mo. It does in fact make one question just how effective our votes are, and our system is in general.

Just b/c the guy I vote for wins, doesn't mean I or my country wins in any way.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Orenthal » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:41 pm

jerryroche wrote:At least one one journalist has the courage to tell it like it is: Whomever is elected next month won't balance the budget in 2013 or even in 2020. So the $240 billion the government is WASTING each year on debt service (and think of all the good that could be done with a quarter-of-a-trillion dollars) will only grow.

Just had to see that posted again, with credit...
Orenthal

Previous

Return to No Holds Barred