Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Chip Kelly or Nick Saban

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Chip Kelly or Nick Saban

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Yup.

I'm tossing this out here.

I think if Saban wins his 3rd National Title at 'Bama and his 4th overall, you got to wonder if he'll want a new challenge and bail. Not saying it's going to happen, but on the "PAWWWL" Finebaum show they were having 'Bama callers call in trying to defend the possibility of it happening.

And Chip Kelly? Want to talk about getting an IPhone 5 or Droid? Take a look at the offense he's running, and how the patriots are taking pointers from him.

EDIT: To clarify, not endorsing them persay, but they're looking mighty good compared to the alternative of some Eagle retread that Banner will probably hire.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Re: Chip Kelly or Nick Saban

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Id say that Saban would be the more intriguing of the 2, but that's more because I really don't know much about Kelly. Or football in general for that matter. :thumb up:

I'd be nervous about his Miami flamejob, though. By all accounts he hated the NFL. Not sure why that would be any different now.

I'd rather have either than Gruden or Cowher.
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:20 pm

Or both: Saban and his defensive mind here as HC, with Kelly as his OC/assistant.

fap fap fap fap fap
Check me out at Dawgsbynature, where I write stuff, or @twitter as Josh Finney.
Gradysmanldy

Favorite Player: Melts Parmageddon
Least Favorite Player: The East Coast media

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:22 pm

One thing I like about Saban is that his team tends to run more of a pro-style game than most elite college programs, and his guys are ALWAYS prepared, against any opponent. I think he'd be more in the middle of the "players-coach" and "disciplinarian" roles, but in a good way.

I'd be down with the hire, especially considering the connection. Just don't see it happening; he's got a perfect setup where he is.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby pup » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:44 pm

1. Andy Reid
2. Marty Morningweg (?)
3. Jim Tressel
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:59 pm

pup wrote:1. Andy Reid
2. Marty Morningweg (?)
3. Jim Tressel

Would you really like to see any of those guys?
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby pup » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:00 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:
2. Marty Morningweg (?)
3. Jim Tressel

Would you really like to see any of those guys?

Nope.

I don't have a billion dollars though.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:05 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Id say that Saban would be the more intriguing of the 2, but that's more because I really don't know much about Kelly. Or football in general for that matter. :thumb up:

I'd be nervous about his Miami flamejob, though. By all accounts he hated the NFL. Not sure why that would be any different now.

I'd rather have either than Gruden or Cowher.

Yep. Although neither would be my first choice. Saban I don't trust (and anyone leaving that Alabama job would have to be inherently stupid, and we don't need a stupid coach) and Kelly I have serious doubts his offense translates to the NFL (unless we trade for Tebow, god forbid).
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:06 pm

2. Marty Morningweg (?)
3. Jim Tressel

The Vest is waiting to take over the Akron gig. Pretty much an open secret at this point.

As for the other two, Pat Shurmer has put such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't want ANYONE from that staff near my team. I'm praying they look outside the box for this hire.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Yep. Although neither would be my first choice. Saban I don't trust (and anyone leaving that Alabama job would have to be inherently stupid, and we don't need a stupid coach) and Kelly I have serious doubts his offense translates to the NFL (unless we trade for Tebow, god forbid).

I'm just not sure this team is going to get it's first choice.

I mean, I'm sure Haslam has heard from the fans the names Gruden and Cowher, but I'm struggling to think how you could pull either of them away from the booth to coach a team like the Browns.

If I were in his shoes though, I'd try to think for someone with some fresh ideas, and who can turn around a team quite quickly into a winner.

Triple-S

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:12 pm

Triple-S wrote:If I were in his shoes though, I'd try to think for someone with some fresh ideas, and who can turn around a team quite quickly into a winner.

that sounds like a good idea. They should try that.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby pup » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Truly my favorite time of the year.

Overheard the guy in the office next to mine say this AM, "Did you hear the pregame show yesterday? Cowher had a lot of good things to say about the Browns. And Haslem used to own the Steelers. I think Cowher is going to be the next coach."

Am I an ass for smacking him, or not smacking him?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:39 pm

Triple-S wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Yep. Although neither would be my first choice. Saban I don't trust (and anyone leaving that Alabama job would have to be inherently stupid, and we don't need a stupid coach) and Kelly I have serious doubts his offense translates to the NFL (unless we trade for Tebow, god forbid).

I'm just not sure this team is going to get it's first choice.

I mean, I'm sure Haslam has heard from the fans the names Gruden and Cowher, but I'm struggling to think how you could pull either of them away from the booth to coach a team like the Browns.

If I were in his shoes though, I'd try to think for someone with some fresh ideas, and who can turn around a team quite quickly into a winner.

Cowher and Gruden should NOT be first choices, second choices, or thirty-third choices. I don't want to lure them away from their second helping of roast beef, much less to any kind of coaching role.

The type of guy(s) that should be the first choice is also a guy that won't turn down an NFL Head Coaching opportunity.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:39 pm

pup wrote:Truly my favorite time of the year.

Overheard the guy in the office next to mine say this AM, "Did you hear the pregame show yesterday? Cowher had a lot of good things to say about the Browns. And Haslem used to own the Steelers. I think Cowher is going to be the next coach."

There's like 3 reasons to smack him there.
Hikohadon

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:46 pm

This needs to be bundled together with the "11 Wins" thread and the "WC Hunt" thread and moved to The Library where we can gaze upon its inherent awesomeness for years to come.

Word.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:55 pm

Do you still work for Sherwin Williams?

'Cause based on that little glimpse into your talent pool, should I consider dumping my shares? ;-) ;) :wink:
mattvan1

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:07 pm

There's always the dream candidates. Coaching candidates for the NFL fall in three different categories:

1. Big-Name Retreads
2. Hot-Shit Coordinators
3. Big-Time College Coaches

Out of our previous hires, Palmer, Romeo, and Shurmur fall under the Hot-Shit Coordinators. Butch Davis was a top college coach, and Mangini was a retread (formerly hot-shit coordinator).

In the Super Bowl era, the last college coach to win a title is Barry Switzer. (Yes, Dick Vermeil coached college, but he was an obvious retread when he won it with the Rams). In fact, if you look at the last 15 years of Super Bowl coaches, how many were big time college coaches before getting the NFL shot? How many were hot-shit coordinators? And how many were retreads?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Su ... ad_coaches

Not a one was a big-time college coach. Belichick and Vermeil could be called retreads. Almost every other one was a hot-shit coordinator that got their shot.

Now, I think that Jim Harbaugh will go to a Super Bowl in the next few years (perhaps even this one), and this will mess this example up. And certainly, Saban was probably a hot-shit coordinator (in 1995). But it's fascinating to see what the SB-winning coaches backgrounds are.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:08 pm

A lot of people like to compare Saban to Billy boy, and IMO that is absurd. OK so their personalities are the same...

Saban was awful in Miami, and while Bill had issues in Cleveland he did take the team to the post season. I just think Saban is more a perfect fit for the college gig then he is the pros.

While Chip Kelly sounds interesting, I forget exactly what he's won at the college level...
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby pup » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:13 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

Do you still work for Sherwin Williams?

'Cause based on that little glimpse into your talent pool, should I consider dumping my shares? ;-) ;) :wink:

Fortunately, most are smarter about paint than football.

With the growth over the last 10 months, I am not sure there will ever be a time to dump em.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:14 pm

We need to find the next up and coming coordinator. That's it. I want one who's been a coordinator a while and had success. Find me a good team's coordinator of whichever of offense or defense has been consistent for 3-4 years and hire that person.
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:22 pm

It was mentioned this off-season that Heckert went after a few big name WR Free Agents , but they took less $ not to play with the Browns due to our reputation. Would grabbing a marque name like Saban help on the way to repairing that reputation?
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:29 pm

bac5665 wrote:We need to find the next up and coming coordinator. That's it. I want one who's been a coordinator a while and had success. Find me a good team's coordinator of whichever of offense or defense has been consistent for 3-4 years and hire that person.

There are only a few coordinators that fit that bill (that's not a former HC retread). Pete Carmichael, OC of the Saints, and everyone's favorite Rooney Rule candidate, Perry Fewell, DC of the Giants.

Truth be told, both are experienced, both have consistency in Super Bowl winning organizations. Either one would certainly have the experience necessary. But are they the "big get" we'd be looking for? Urban's hire has spoiled us a bit.
fairvis

Unread postby bac5665 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks for that info. We have to look at those kind of people for the HC. The Saints guy was the primary one I was thinking of, just didn't want to look his name up.

I would be fine with either, assuming that Banner appears to put on a competent search (i.e. not what Walrus did looking for SHUR.)
bac5665

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Bug Selig

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Govbarney wrote:It was mentioned this off-season that Heckert went after a few big name WR Free Agents , but they took less $ not to play with the Browns due to our reputation. Would grabbing a marque name like Saban help on the way to repairing that reputation?

Normally, i'd say that having a competent QB and offensive line should be more than enough for them to want to come here next year; however, I don't see the point of going after any big name WR. Bowe will want too much money, and I like that they have some kids learning on the job with big play ability. Gordon/Little/Cooper/Benjamin/Norwood should be fine.

Spend the money on getting some help on defense so that we aren't watching every QB look like an all pro against us. Even Dalton threw for almost 400 yds and 3 td's in a losing effort. It's embarassing.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:51 pm

I just don't want another coach like shurmer.

It's not so much about getting the big name coach, but rather the right coach. At the very least look proactive during this search. Christ we interviewed what? three people last time?

I could accept taking the QB coach from say, the Kansas City Chiefs if this was after a long exhaustive search that had us at least have a wide search from a vast array of candidates from different backgrounds.

Just be proactive and get the right coach this time.

Triple-S

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:00 pm

At 69, does Marty still have gas left in the tank? Any guy who can take the Browns, Chiefs and the Chargers to the playoffs year after year after year knows how to coach this damned game.

Before you start howling, his career head coaching record is 200-126-1 and he's been NFL Coach of the Year THREE times—the same amount as Belupchuck.

"I see a gleam, fellas."
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Ol' No.23

Unread postby pod2dawg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:01 pm

FUDU wrote:A lot of people like to compare Saban to Billy boy, and IMO that is absurd. OK so their personalities are the same...

Saban was awful in Miami, and while Bill had issues in Cleveland he did take the team to the post season. I just think Saban is more a perfect fit for the college gig then he is the pros.

While Chip Kelly sounds interesting, I forget exactly what he's won at the college level...

At New Hampshire he was 11-2 as head coach but shattered records as OC there in years previous . At Oregon he is like 43-6. Don't know how his insane "O" philosophy would translate in the Pros or if he'd even consider it but The West Coast doesn't seem to be all that and a bag of chips either.
I doubt he'd ever leave Duckville, but I do know he'd be smart enough to play to his strengths and would have gone for it on 4th & 1 the other day when punted like dumbasses.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill 2.0 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Saban's named has been mentioned for a pro gig since he was @ MSU but,,,

Add too that Pete Carroll is much improved after his first NFL HC job

Just sayin'
Fire Marshall Bill 2.0

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Alleghany Inbreds

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Govbarney wrote:It was mentioned this off-season that Heckert went after a few big name WR Free Agents , but they took less $ not to play with the Browns due to our reputation. Would grabbing a marque name like Saban help on the way to repairing that reputation?

Wow, I don't recall that. Names?

The few FA's they went after did indeed go elsewhere, but for ridonkulous $.
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

I got that same impression Hiko got at the time.
Shit The Bed For Ted

motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:38 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11142278
[url]
http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-bl ... stina.html[/url]
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Govbarney wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-11142278
[url]
http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-bl ... stina.html[/url]

Speculation. If there were a specific case that could be cited to show this huge list of FA's that took less cash to play elsewhere, that would support your argument.

Mario Manningham (who the Browns rightly didn't bother with) isn't really making me buy it.

And draft picks... who gives a fuck what they want?

There will undoubtedly be some FA's that will take less money to play for winning teams. But that makes half the league "not a hot destination". Cleveland is not unique in that regard.

And then the Bills, Bucs, and Skins go and prove that if you pay 'em enough, anyone will go anywhere.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Gradysmanldy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:20 pm

God our offense could potentially look sexy with a real coach and a Vincent Jackson type of talent. Woof.
Gradysmanldy

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:24 pm

pod2dawg wrote:
FUDU wrote:A lot of people like to compare Saban to Billy boy, and IMO that is absurd. OK so their personalities are the same...

At New Hampshire he was 11-2 as head coach but shattered records as OC there in years previous . At Oregon he is like 43-6. Don't know how his insane "O" philosophy would translate in the Pros or if he'd even consider it but The West Coast doesn't seem to be all that and a bag of chips either.
I doubt he'd ever leave Duckville, but I do know he'd be smart enough to play to his strengths and would have gone for it on 4th & 1 the other day when punted like dumbasses.

He's a smart guy, but again, he's hasn't won anything at the college level. Hell he didn't even put up 20pts when he lost to JT and Terrell Pryor.

If he was running a more legit NFL offense with a few more NFL ready recruits it would be much more enticing, but he's running a gimmicky style offense B/C he isn't getting the NFL ready recruits. That's how it works in college ball. That's not a put down on him either.

FUDU

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:50 pm

jerryroche wrote:At 69, does Marty still have gas left in the tank? Any guy who can take the Browns, Chiefs and the Chargers to the playoffs year after year after year knows how to coach this damned game.

Before you start howling, his career head coaching record is 200-126-1 and he's been NFL Coach of the Year THREE times—the same amount as Belupchuck.

"I see a gleam, fellas."

Rich, c'mon man

Library! Library! Library!

All we need is a Big Bone Lick reference and this thread is message board gold.

Fact.
mattvan1

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:31 pm

and to think when I read the initial post at lunch I was thinking, "this thread should die a slow death."

Little did I know..... :pop:
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:32 pm

mattvan1 wrote:Rich, c'mon manLibrary! Library! Library!

Fact.

I fail to see the humor.

This team is coached by an absolute buffoon who belongs nowhere near a football field on any level. At the very least, with the two guys I tossed out they're remotely qualified to coach in the NFL.

I don't find the posts insisting upon Marty funny, but rather somewhat sad. This team has been that bad for so long that people are desperate for someone, somehow someway to kick them in the ass. We're not asking for a steak at this point, we're asking for a dollar cheeseburger from mcdonalds. Just something, anyone to wash this bad taste of failure and suck out of our mouths.

I've actually grown more interested in watching NASCAR this season, dead serious. THIS SHOULDN'T HAPPEN.

Triple-S

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:33 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
jerryroche wrote:At 69, does Marty still have gas left in the tank? Any guy who can take the Browns, Chiefs and the Chargers to the playoffs year after year after year knows how to coach this damned game.

"I see a gleam, fellas."

Rich, c'mon man

Library! Library! Library!

Fact.

Don't forget the real estate updates from the Strongsville area
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Triple-S wrote:

Fact.

I fail to see the humor.
This team is coached by an absolute buffoon who belongs nowhere near a football field on any level. At the very least, with the two guys I tossed out they're remotely qualified to coach in the NFL.

I don't find the posts insisting upon Marty funny, but rather somewhat sad. This team has been that bad for so long that people are desperate for someone, somehow someway to kick them in the ass. We're not asking for a steak at this point, we're asking for a dollar cheeseburger from mcdonalds. Just something, anyone to wash this bad taste of failure and suck out of our mouths.

I've actually grown more interested in watching NASCAR this season, dead serious. THIS SHOULDN'T HAPPEN.

Sounds like you need another 20 years of being a fan under your belt. You might get it then
Larvell Blanks

Unread postby jerryroche » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:24 pm

"I see a gleam, fellas."

...or we could exhume PB. His cadaver propped up on the sideline could do better than 1-6.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Ol' No.23

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:27 pm

If I had to wager on the next coach I'd say Haslam might enjoy poaching someone like Cam Cameron from the Ravens or John Mitchell from the Steelers. Maybe a guy like Perry Fewell from the Giants. Two of them are young, two of them are in the division and all of them come from those programs where continuity makes a difference.

Maybe a guy like Pete Carmichael from New Orleans too.

Two offensive guys, two defensive guys. None have experience (the ones that do are or will be available for a reason) so your coordinators might need to be guys like Morningweh or Chilly if you go defensive head coach. Guys who are experienced and have developed good NFL players.

Then you'll need to go out and get some of those.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:33 pm

Triple-S wrote:

Fact.

I fail to see the humor.

I still want a steak.

A McD's cheeseburger is just empty calories, no matter how temporarily satisfying.
Hikohadon

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Triple-S wrote:

Fact.

I fail to see the humor.

And that is both ironic and funny as hell, I don't care who you are.
mattvan1

Unread postby fairvis » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:54 pm

peeker643 wrote:If I had to wager on the next coach I'd say Haslam might enjoy poaching someone like Cam Cameron from the Ravens or John Mitchell from the Steelers.

Cameron's HC resume isn't the most impressive. 5 years at Indiana (where he almost got a bowl bid, but never did) and that complete and utter failure in Miami in 2007 where Tuna let him go after finishing 1-15. Mitchell's been in Pittsburgh for nearly 20 years (since Belichick had him on the staff before then). Probably be hard to get him to leave.

Side note... a NFL coach has been in Pittsburgh as the D-Line coach since 1994. Wow. That's continuity.
fairvis

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:03 pm

I don't know about receivers signing elsewhere for big $.

But I would be shocked if any would take less $ to go somewhere, unless the 'situation' looks to feed them the ball. IOW, the QB. Maybe the Browns have the bait now?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Triple-S » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:14 pm

You know what was more hilliarious in the most depressing way possible?

People giving up on Bradon Weeden ONE WEEK INTO THE SEASON.

Triple-S

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:18 pm

Go around the league and tell me how many teams would trade their QB for Weeden. Start somewhere other than this division because there's no one there dealing their guy for yours. Eliminate the NFC Central too. I count maybe four ( KC, Buff, AZ, JVille). He's been 'meh'. Which, to his credit, is beyond the disaster I saw him being.

Although I'm not sure what that has to do with the pining for guys like Gruden, Cowber and Marty. This ain't 1985-1995.

Maybe Marv Levy is interested?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Is Lindy Infante still alive? If we get a new HC we will need a new Offensive Coordinator too. Old school. :hic:

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:57 pm

Weeden has been better than meh. He's shit the bed once, his first game, he's allowed. He shows improvement from week to week in at least one area. Frankly he is almost exactly as advertised. His weakness coming in IS his weakness, his strengths coming in ARE his strengths.

If you didn't know where he was picked in the draft, or know where Luck was picked in the draft, you certainly couldn't tell the difference from the game this past Sunday.

FUDU

Unread postby leadpipe » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:46 am

FUDU wrote:Weeden has been better than meh. He's shit the bed once, his first game, he's allowed. He shows improvement from week to week in at least one area. Frankly he is almost exactly as advertised. His weakness coming in IS his weakness, his strengths coming in ARE his strengths.

If you didn't know where he was picked in the draft, or know where Luck was picked in the draft, you certainly couldn't tell the difference from the game this past Sunday.

Actually you could. Pretty easily. One guy is going thru progressions better than half the quarterbacks in the league already. And this is no knock on Weeden, and recognizing the mistakes and issues that come along with being a rookie at that position - but if you can't tell the difference between Andrew Luck and Brandon Weeden up to this point in the season, I'm not sure what to say.

Perhaps a better comparison, to leave Brandon Weeden and homerism out for a second - and compare to overall number one's.....Andrew Luck is waaaay ahead of Sam Bradford in recognizing things at the line, going thru progressions and understanding what's going on around him. And Bradford is ahead of Weeden.

And Luck, like Weeden has a lotta garbage around him. Rookie TE's to depend on, old Reggie Wayne, and no running backs you've ever heard of. An offensive line issues. And he'll still triple that teams win total from last year.

I know a PLAYA when I see a PLAYA.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL