Text Size

College Sports Arena

Bucks and Huskers

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Bucks and Huskers

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:05 pm

I think we're spanking them. Everything comes together for our Buckeyes for the first time this year.

Buckeyes 38
Husker 17
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Bucks and Huskers

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:28 pm

Need game plan for the blitz, from what I see. It's early.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:29 pm

I didn't get a prediction in before the game and after the first couple of series I am going to predict:

OSU: -2
Nebraska: -4

Somehow these two bad looking offenses figure out a way to score negative points. tOSU "scores" 2 less - points.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Well, Nebraska scores the first negative points of the game! Nice break by Roby. Martinez will throw those ducks pretty frequently. He may be tOSU's best source of offense because I don't think the O came to play today.

The front four looks FANTASTIC. How long before Nebraska spreads them out and tries the screen game/short passing game to beat them?
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:44 pm

Looked like Bryant missed a shot at making the play on that long run about 5 yards down field, but he was slow to come up and support the run. I am not sure, that was just my real time read on the play. I need to go back and look again, but it looked like when he cut back that the only guy who was not flowing to the offensive right side was Bryant.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Hmmmmm... so this is what an option running offense is supposed to look like.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:52 pm

Well the crowd showed up. Not sure if the offense has yet. I can live with a couple of TD's here on the D, but the constant 3-and-out stuff isn't going to work.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:56 pm

You might attribute some of NU's offense to all the 3 and outs. I haven't seen ToP numbers yet, but they cannot be good.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:57 pm

This offense goes through periods of enfuriating badness like none that I have ever experienced as a Buckeyes fan, I have only felt this frustration as a Browns fan.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:14 pm

D holds them to a FG after the fake punt, that is a moral victory. Hopefully they can turn this into some positive offensive momentum.

They need to stop running the slow developing options and start pushing tempo. The option is taking so long that the entire NU D is reacting to it. They need to just take the 4-5 yards on standard running plays and designed QB runs to stay in front of the chains.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Apparently designed QB runs can go for more than 4-5 yards.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:25 pm

I think Bradley Roby is trying to work on his draft stock tonight!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Posting a lot tonight because I am watching the game alone. Well, my 9 year old daughter is in the room playing NintenDogs on her DS.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:37 pm

Bad tackling makes its first appearance in this game. Ugh.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:00 pm

That QB counter is an excellent play. You can see the NU defense immediately start flowing toward Braxton's first step. That counter will slow the Husker defense for the rest of the game.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:05 pm

furls wrote:Posting a lot tonight because I am watching the game alone. Well, my 9 year old daughter is in the room playing NintenDogs on her DS.

I'll join you for the second half.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:07 pm

When did K State get good again?

Their blowout win tonight is even more impressive considering the decide strategic advantage of their opponent tonight.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:07 pm

The second quarter was just full of fireworks. The refs need to watch some of Nebraska's dirty plays.

Example: http://gif.mocksession.com/2012/10/nut-punch/
fairvis

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:11 pm

motherscratcher wrote:When did K State get good again?

Their blowout win tonight is even more impressive considering the decide strategic advantage of their opponent tonight.

Well played sir, it took me a second, but I caught on. Very well played.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:13 pm

fairvis wrote:The second quarter was just full of fireworks. The refs need to watch some of Nebraska's dirty plays.

Example: http://gif.mocksession.com/2012/10/nut-punch/

Should have been ejected for throwing that punch. It was a dirty play.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:30 pm

The shootout continues. Burkhead's injury could be an interesting point. Klein got caught leaning the other way on that TD pass, but good read by Martinez.
fairvis

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:30 pm

Let's not have another dead quarter here. Nebraska wisely hitting that deep crossing route.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Excellent seam pass to set up that short TD. Defenders biting on the play action, will do that all day.
fairvis

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:42 pm

That was the best play Storm Klein's made in his career.
fairvis

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:44 pm

If it wasn't nearly 4 AM here in England, I'd be screaming at the TV.
fairvis

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:52 pm

The Bucks are likely to hang about 60 on NU at this rate, can you believe that?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:54 pm

The Big 12 nature of this game is a bit disturbing. I have seen HS teams tackle less shitty than OSU. Anyways, at least it's exciting (if not frustrating) to watch.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:02 pm

Its weird watching this team play defense because they will make 2 great plays and then one god awful play. That missed tackle by Travis Howard was awful. That play would have gone for a loss of 5 and that is a play that a great CB is supposed to make. Now that said, he has made a lot of great plays this year. Simon and Hankins are playing out of their minds tonight.

As to Matt's point about the B12 nature of the game, there has been a B12 nature to most of NCAAF this year. It has been really sloppy bad football across the board. 'Bama is the only team playing great on both sides of the ball consistently. I didn't see USCe play today, but I suspect that they played great on both sides today. Generally it is a bad year for NCAAF.

I haven't seen much of Oregon. I hear their D is playing pretty well.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:08 pm

Hyde's run (before the fumble) was awesome. I wish he ran it that hard more often. He has picked up the physicalness of his runs lately though. He would not be denied in the MSU game.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:12 pm

From all the flipping around I do, I'd have to agree. Now Florida-LSU today had some good defensive play. South Carolina was strong today, but we seem to be in a defensive-challenged season right now.

Outside of the fumble which I think was caused because he let up slightly as he was hitting the umpire....Hyde is moving nicely tonight.

As I type that Rod Smith goes the distance...
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:12 pm

The Nebraska D is completely on their heels. Just utterly exhausted. Wow.
fairvis

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:14 pm

Beautiful TD run by Rod Smith! Man is that kid explosive.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:15 pm

dmiles wrote:From all the flipping around I do, I'd have to agree. Now Florida-LSU today had some good defensive play. South Carolina was strong today, but we seem to be in a defensive-challenged season right now.

Outside of the fumble which I think was caused because he let up slightly as he was hitting the umpire....Hyde is moving nicely tonight.

As I type that Rod Smith goes the distance...

The Florida LSU game had ugly offense and good defense, kind of the reverse of this one.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:17 pm

Nebraska tackling is just as bad if not worse. If the Bucks D ever catches up to the the O look the fuck out. This team could be scary good in '13 and '14.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:22 pm

They need LBs to step up in the worst way. First two out of Perry, Marcus, Perkins, Mitchell (if he commits), Williams, Roberts or Crowell to figure out how to play LB will start.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:22 pm

That roughing call was ridiculous.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:22 pm

These refs are calling pretty bullshit roughing calls. Momentum exists.
fairvis

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:31 pm

If they're going to score, may as well let them take 5 minutes off the clock when they're down 25. 5 minutes left, still down 3 scores... and Nessler questions whether or not they'll onside it? Practically have to.
fairvis

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:34 pm

Let's get Miller and Hyde out of the game. Would be a shame if they got hurt. Bring in Smith and Guiton.

Well, as I type this, Smith gets out on the field.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Re: Bucks and

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:35 pm

QB run up 18 with 4 mins to go? Seriously?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:36 pm

Another one?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:40 pm

Simon is playing out of his mind tonight

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:44 pm

"Fuck you, Bo." - Urban Meyer.

Hanging 63 on Nebraska. Geez.
fairvis

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:45 pm

Victory Formation my ass.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:46 pm

Yeah, that last TD may have been unnecessary. Not passing judgement. I like the fact that my coach is not trying to make friends in the B1G.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby furls » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:47 pm

I want to see if Meyer can put up a bigger number on scUM.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:55 pm

furls wrote:I want to see if Meyer can put up a bigger number on scUM.

Given that it's the last game of the season, if they're hitting like they were tonight, I could see him going to try to put up 80. And I'd love every second of it.

We'll probably ride this to being ranked somewhere between 6 and 8 this week. No other ranked schools on this schedule.

Last week we saw the D put it all together. This week was the O. When the two meet, it's going to be scary good and happy times in Columbus.
fairvis

Unread postby furls » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:36 am

12-0 just got a lot more likely. 2 tough(ish) games remaining @Wisco and scUM at home.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:44 am

furls wrote:12-0 just got a lot more likely. 2 tough(ish) games remaining @Wisco and scUM at home.

I have a bet with my neighbor over Buckeye wins. He took 8 or less...I took 9 or more.

I'm feeling pretty good. Not as good as Peeker feels about his Browns bet with Lars, but still not bad.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby dmiles » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:01 am

State Penn could provide some resistance. You have to assume they get to McLovin in that game and rattle him.
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Next

Return to College Sports Arena