Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Re-Confirming Rae Carruth is a Human Piece of Shit

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re-Confirming Rae Carruth is a Human Piece of Shit

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:19 am

Wow. On many levels.

Talk about polar opposites: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Re-Confirming Rae Carruth is a Human Piece of Shit

Unread postby LakeErieWarriors » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:08 pm

Absolutely disgusting he gets out in less than 6 years already.

I'm sure he paid millions in the lawyer fees that have allowed him to see the light of day so soon.
"Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!" -Al Czervik
LakeErieWarriors

Favorite Player: Browns Draft
Least Favorite Player: Browns Training Camp

Unread postby rbm0183 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Absolutely heartbreaking. He leaves the mother of his unborn child dying in her car and goes to play video games...and then never looks back and feels any remorse, even after seeing how his actions damaged the kid for life. How does a guy like that ever have the chance to get out of prison?

Thank goodness that the child's grandmother is such an amazing woman.

If you don't tear up reading that story, then you need to check your pulse.
---"It was great training being there. They do it with character and intelligence. They run that organization the right way. They build through the draft. They're patient. It's just the right way to do it. It was a tremendous opportunity to be with them." Jimmy Haslam on why he'd model the Browns after the Steelers, 10/16/12
:loadof:
rbm0183

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:26 am

The mother/grandmother is truly special, yes.

The decision to forgive (especially when it is not asked for) is very powerful.
Like, approaching-the-meaning-of-life powerful. It is freedom.

It's why I am anti-death penalty. Not because I think it is wrong, or that some people don't deserve it, or that we should be paying to keep some people alive- it's because revenge is like a deep, permanent, itchy rash. If you indulge (scratch) it, you may think you are comforted by that. But the only way the pain goes away is through forgiveness. The death penalty feeds revenge, and victims and their loved ones looking for 'closure' are not healed by it.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby OldDawg » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:29 pm

googleeph2 wrote:The mother/grandmother is truly special, yes.

It's why I am anti-death penalty. Not because I think it is wrong, or that some people don't deserve it, or that we should be paying to keep some people alive- it's because revenge is like a deep, permanent, itchy rash. If you indulge (scratch) it, you may think you are comforted by that. But the only way the pain goes away is through forgiveness. The death penalty feeds revenge, and victims and their loved ones looking for 'closure' are not healed by it.

I am hearing "Just as I am" in the background. Sing it, brother!!
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Is it revenge or is it deciding not to waste tons of taxpayer money on housing/feeding a murderer for 50 years?

If a guy is sentenced to life in prison, it makes no sense to me to keep him alive. Prison is for people that can be rehabilitated (in theory). If they're never leaving jail, why bother trying to rehabilitate them?

Even if they do get out of jail and they're "changed", good luck getting a decent job and participating in any meaningful way in society. Especially if you've been institutionalized.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:08 pm

So messed up.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

Is it revenge or is it deciding not to waste tons of taxpayer money on housing/feeding a murderer for 50 years?

If a guy is sentenced to life in prison, it makes no sense to me to keep him alive. Prison is for people that can be rehabilitated (in theory). If they're never leaving jail, why bother trying to rehabilitate them?

Even if they do get out of jail and they're "changed", good luck getting a decent job and participating in any meaningful way in society. Especially if you've been institutionalized.

I am not too naïve to think some people don’t deserve to be put to death. Punishment fitting the crime makes sense. As a practical matter, I would not be active in trying to reverse capital punishment.

But I am interested in the victims. Especially the kids. Way, way more than the criminal, or the cost to society.

You see people who want a violent predator put to death- they are certain he needs to die. Think of the image of emotional family members. Or people picketing a prison, celebrating when a death row inmate fries. They are not rationally thinking about the cost to society, or whether he can be rehabbed into participating in society. They want his life as payment for what he did. I agree- it may often be justified to put him to death. But I believe that if the people who really care about him dying think they will begin to heal because of it, or gain closure, are just feeding their vengeful feelings. Sure- maybe it’s their right. But I feel really sorry for them because the criminal dying is a separate thing from them eventually finding peace. That comes from forgiveness- that is what I tried to say about forgiveness = freedom.
The mother/grandmother in that story gets it. People think it takes strength to make sure people get what they deserve- often, maybe. But it takes a LOT of strength to forgive like she did.

The notion that a person’s life should end because he can’t participate in society— I disagree. Scary, and gets completely away from punishment fitting the crime. I think a person in prison can potentially have a meaningful life. I also wouldn’t want alzheimers patients being killed. For one thing, who gets to decide?
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:55 pm

Hikohadon wrote:

It costs an average of 7 times more money to put a defendant to death, than it does to house him in prison, even if said defendant should live to be 100.

Not a pro or con death penalty zealot either way, but it ain't savin' us any money by throwing this piece of shit in the chair.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:50 pm

leadpipe wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:

It costs an average of 7 times more money to put a defendant to death, than it does to house him in prison, even if said defendant should live to be 100.

Not a pro or con death penalty zealot either way, but it ain't savin' us any money by throwing this piece of shit in the chair.

That just sounds like they need to trim a little fat off the Constitution.

A bullet is way cheaper than keeping a dude in prison.

Listen, this has nothing to do with the way things ARE. The way things ARE, there's so much red tape bullshit that nothing anywhere gets done, so naturally it would cost 7 times more to do something rather than to do nothing. I'm simply talking in an ideal sense (i.e. if I ruled the world) the Rae Carruths would get a steak dinner, a conjugal visit, a cigarette, a glass of scotch, and a bullet. And that would have nothing to do with revenge and everything to do with having less prisons than schools.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:09 pm

googleeph2 wrote:I am not too naïve to think some people don’t deserve to be put to death. Punishment fitting the crime makes sense. As a practical matter, I would not be active in trying to reverse capital punishment.

But I am interested in the victims. Especially the kids. Way, way more than the criminal, or the cost to society.

You see people who want a violent predator put to death- they are certain he needs to die. Think of the image of emotional family members. Or people picketing a prison, celebrating when a death row inmate fries. They are not rationally thinking about the cost to society, or whether he can be rehabbed into participating in society. They want his life as payment for what he did. I agree- it may often be justified to put him to death. But I believe that if the people who really care about him dying think they will begin to heal because of it, or gain closure, are just feeding their vengeful feelings. Sure- maybe it’s their right. But I feel really sorry for them because the criminal dying is a separate thing from them eventually finding peace. That comes from forgiveness- that is what I tried to say about forgiveness = freedom.
The mother/grandmother in that story gets it. People think it takes strength to make sure people get what they deserve- often, maybe. But it takes a LOT of strength to forgive like she did.

The notion that a person’s life should end because he can’t participate in society— I disagree. Scary, and gets completely away from punishment fitting the crime. I think a person in prison can potentially have a meaningful life. I also wouldn’t want alzheimers patients being killed. For one thing, who gets to decide?

These are all good points, and I agree with you on many fronts. I simply am speaking from a practicality sense. Even with prison privatization, tax money is ultimately paying for these prisoners to be where they are. My point has nothing to do with the victims, who are likely to feel however they are gonna feel regardless.

If I get intense road rage and off someone and get sentenced to life in prison, I'll certainly follow my own advice. I don't want to be there and I don't need to be there and I deserve it anyway.

My grandmother just died of Alzheimers. It runs in the family. And her last couple years were not meaningful. She was angry, scared all the time. Didn't know who anyone was. All that was meaningful about her staying alive was that my grandfather got to spend almost all his retirement on the facility where she had to live because she was too violent/helpless to live at home.

It runs in my family. My mom's already showing signs. I'll probably get it one day too. And when I do, I'm taking a bottle of whiskey and heading as far up a mountain as I can and I'm not coming back. Long, drawn out... I don't want to do that to my family and I don't want to do that to me.

And I let everyone in my family know that too, so hopefully they don't let me drag on if I get too Alzheimered-up to remember.
Hikohadon

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL