Text Size

College Sports Arena

Bucks Vs Sparty

Talk Buckeye football and hoops, Viking hoops, as well as all other discussion on college sports in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, danwismar, furls

Bucks Vs Sparty

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Who you got.

OSU- 27

MSU- 23
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Re: Bucks Vs Sparty

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who you got.

OSU- 27

MSU- 23

God, you're such a homer.

OSU- 23
MSU- 14
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby furls » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Been thinking about this game all week and still have no idea what will happen.

I think we can all agree that this tOSU team is nowhere near as good as most of us though it would be. Who saw them struggling with UAB? The 29-15 score is a bit deceiving. The good thing for the Bucks is that MSU is not very good either, so I guess we've got that going for us and that's a plus.

Sparty's O plays right into OSU's D, but if you can't tackle that doesn't matter. Additionally, tOSU's LB play has been about as bad as I could have ever imagined and the scheme and poor read/react skills gives about 4 yards on every play that is not delayed in the backfield by the DL. I think that Sparty is going to move the ball, but I think the poor MSU passing game will ultimately stall them out.

On O, the offense has been as up and down as I have ever seen. They look completely unstoppable and crips on one series and then on the next series they look like a Bollman concoction. Will they play up this week? I don't know. I am not that scared of MSU's DL, not like the pundits tell me I should be at least, and I think Miller will severely impair MSU's LB play (or he will crush them if they don't sell out).

In the end, I think it is an ugly game with more points than you would expect. Ill take the Bucks 31-17.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:24 pm

Alcohol - 1
CDT's liver - 0
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby furls » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:20 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:Alcohol - 1
CDT's liver - 0

That was an easy one.

I think that OSU vs. MSU game could end 31-17 the other way too.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:58 pm

I like OSU straight up.

30-24.

Barring of course any unusual weather, significant injury or injuries, and any crazy and down right unforeseen big plays or bad calls.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:42 pm

Nice march down... hopefully Brax is OK.
fairvis

Favorite Player: Braxton Miller
Least Favorite Player: Joakim Noah

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:01 pm

So, apparently, hitting someone with a forearm to the chest is now unnecessary roughness.
fairvis

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:06 pm

What exactly was the call there? Not giving enough room? Does that even come into play with no fair catch?
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:14 pm

Marcus Hartman ‏@marcushartman
Upon further review,contact to head or neck of a defenseless opponent with head, forearm, elbow or shoulder is illegal. Good call. Bad rule
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:25 pm

Gholston knocked out by friendly fire. I'd say he's out for the game now, with the head injury emphasis now.
fairvis

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:26 pm

Yeah IMO no brainer on the call, just not easy to get past the fact it wasn't for hitting player during fair catch.

Man, if/when Braxton starts to make good reads on the option watch the fuck out. Until then Braxton is going to take a lot of hits.

FUDU

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:49 pm

Roby with the extension. Well done.
fairvis

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Sparty starting to soften up our secondary.

FUDU

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:56 pm

Turnover doesn't hurt us. But could've gone up more before Sparty gets the ball to start the next half.
fairvis

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:59 pm

fairvis wrote:Turnover doesn't hurt us. But could've gone up more before Sparty gets the ball to start the next half.

Miller's fumble hurt, regardless of how it ended up just b/c Sparty should have ended up with points. Their plays were there, their WR's hands were not.

FUDU

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Hopefully the Buckeyes make some adjustments at halftime. The last couple of weeks the Buckeyes have been "out-adjusted" at the half.

7-3, both teams left points on the board. Brax's TOs cost the Bucks at least 6 points so far. Like what the Bucks are doing defensively for the most part, and it looks like they were ready for the Bell screen pass this week.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:09 pm

The D seems to be there where the ball's been thrown. MSU's receivers have bailed us out a few times, but they've also been nailed after the drops.
fairvis

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:27 pm

If Sparty runs more than 3 more times today they are stupid.

We simply cannot stop their middle of the field passing game.

FUDU

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Pitts Brown keeps getting beat. Need to see more Grant.
fairvis

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:47 pm

Buckeyes safeties playing the Jack Tatum D. That's good because I am wearing my Tatum jersey. They are lighting guys up on contact and these WRs that already have the dropsies are getting alligator arms too. Not my perferred way of defending the pass, but you can tell the WRs are looking over the shoulders.

Has the Philly Brown hitch ever gained 10 yards? Why would we run it in the RZ where there is no room? The dink and dunk in the offense is infuriating. I would rather see BM run to the field side of the field, or any other play. I guess we were playing for the FG?

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Tackle. Jeez.
fairvis

Unread postby municipalmutt » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:59 pm

Can someone enlighten me on the rules since I don't follow college football that much.
On the Buckeye's last drive for the field goal there was a personal foul penalty against the Spartans for a facemask/hands to the face and it was declined by tOSU. On the last drive by the Spartans, there was a similar personal foul/facemask hands to the face call that resulted in fifteen yards added to the end of the play. Aren't all personal fouls supposed to be added to the end of the play? Why would we have declined the call in our situation? Like I said I don't know the rules but it doesn't seem quite right.
Last edited by municipalmutt on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
municipalmutt

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:59 pm

Awesome toss to Devin Smith. That's been there all game.
fairvis

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:14 pm

Lost control of the ball as soon as the knee went. Damn it. Could be huge.
fairvis

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:15 pm

After watching the replay of Braxton's fumble (not reversed yet), I will just be happy if he is back this season, looks like there was some hyperextension on that knee. Wouldn't be surprised if it is an ACL/MCL.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:31 pm

Held on to the ball too long there.
fairvis

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Good game. We win this going away without the 3 turnovers.
fairvis

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:00 pm

Wow, impressive win. I tell you what, if I am an NFL GM, I am seriously watching Reid Fragel. The guy has been a college OL for about 6 months and he was impressive today against Gholston and everyone else. He is 6'8 315 and very thin and athletic, he could realistically get to 330-340 and still have great feet. His frame is nowhere near maxed.

Hankins basically put tOSU on notice that he will not be back next year. He would be dumb to come back. He played like a top 10 pick today. LB play was still rough, but better (except for a couple of huge breakdowns). I saw legitimate improvement this week, and that is what I was primarily concerned about. Now I would love to see tOSU throw more vertical routes, and if I see that dump to Philly on the outside one more time I am going to lose my mind. He is NOT Tedd Ginn. He is not going to beat his man and get up the field fast enough for more than 5 yards. Brown had the least impressive 12 catch game I have ever seen!

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:07 pm

furls wrote:Wow, impressive win. I tell you what, if I am an NFL GM, I am seriously watching Reid Fragel. The guy has been a college OL for about 6 months and he was impressive today against Gholston and everyone else. He is 6'8 315 and very thin and athletic, he could realistically get to 330-340 and still have great feet. His frame is nowhere near maxed.

Hankins basically put tOSU on notice that he will not be back next year. He would be dumb to come back. He played like a top 10 pick today. LB play was still rough, but better (except for a couple of huge breakdowns). I saw legitimate improvement this week, and that is what I was primarily concerned about. Now I would love to see tOSU throw more vertical routes, and if I see that dump to Philly on the outside one more time I am going to lose my mind. He is NOT Tedd Ginn. He is not going to beat his man and get up the field fast enough for more than 5 yards. Brown had the least impressive 12 catch game I have ever seen!

Al and I were just bitching about the flanker screen to Philly on Twitter. The play doesn't work. Please stop.

Roby, despite some penalties, is the best all around DB i've seen since Malcolm Jenkins. Guy can play the pass, guy can play the run, and the guy can hit. Blocked a punt too.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:52 pm

You guys do understand the point of that Philly Brown screen, right?

It has NOTHING to do with gaining yards on the play itself. This offense is set up to run from three pivot points. First you have the inside zone, second you have the option game and third you have the outside screen threat. Against a defense like MSU you keep throwing that outside screen in order to keep the room you are using to gain 200 yard on the ground.

This offense is a numbers game, not some ingenious motion one guy to point A and he is wide open game. It's about the number of players in the box, the number of players playing contain and the spacing between all of them. This is exactly why the offense is struggling at times right now. Braxton is a far better football player than Tim Tebow, yet he regularly looks completely lost because he is struggling with his reads in both the option and passing game. That screen is about giving Braxton enough room to only have to worry about his A and B reads, not C defender coming in and killing him.

That play is here forever, get used to it. Especially against and elite front 7 like MSU has.

Turnovers and Braxton's learning process regarding option and passing progressions are the only reason this game was close. And all of the struggles fall on the head of one kid, who is still learning.

It also didn't help to have Hall get hurt, because that Braxton to Hall lateral option was a thing of beauty and without him we have no-one on the offense capable of running those unique sorts of looks.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:47 pm

I understand the point of the flanker screen, but it is not keeping the opposing defense honest at all, they are defending it with 2 players because in order for it to be successful the WR on his side has to make the block (and they do about 75% of the time) and Philly has to beat his man which he does ~0% of the time. The play is about the threat of using the entire field, sideline to sideline in order to keep men out of the box, but in order for the play to be successful you need MSU to need a 3rd defender there.

That said, I have no issues with Braxton Miller making mistakes, even if it costs us games this year because it is an investment in next year. I did not swear once when Braxton turned the ball over. It would be like getting pissed off at Hafner for striking out in a game that he has already homered in 3X.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby fairvis » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:13 pm

furls wrote:That said, I have no issues with Braxton Miller making mistakes, even if it costs us games this year because it is an investment in next year. I did not swear once when Braxton turned the ball over. It would be like getting pissed off at Hafner for striking out in a game that he has already homered in 3X.

Right there with ya, buddy. Braxton turns it over, and I'll say, "Well, take the good with the bad..." and wait for the next drive. The last fumble you could see he was in pain. The pick he got well played. Can't remember what happened the first fumble, drank too much since then.
fairvis

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:27 pm

The first fumble was part of the 45 minute stretch where he ran around like a gnat without a head and tried to make to much out of nothing while effing up option reads.

I love the kid and think he will win a heisman, but when he gets scatterbrained like he does from time to time, it is hard to watch.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:21 am

e0y2e3 wrote:The first fumble was part of the 45 minute stretch where he ran around like a gnat without a head and tried to make to much out of nothing while effing up option reads.

I love the kid and think he will win a heisman, but when he gets scatterbrained like he does from time to time, it is hard to watch.

Yep.

I will not get frustrated with the mistakes. Now I may get frustrated by a lack of development, but I think he is developing. I think he is a head of the Troy Smith trajectory. He is significantly better than Smith was during his RS sophomore year. I am not counting next year for anything more than getting him used to playing in front of big crowds.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:30 am

That pass to Smith was a dime.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:53 pm

The entire O-Line was named player of the week on offense.

Sabino on defense (Shazier was also called out for having his best game). Of note, it appears that Curtis Grant has been moved to SAM behind Shazier. Hopefully not having to play MIKE let's him show some of his promise like Sabino is finally starting to after the ridiculous multiple year attempts to make him into a MIKE that kept failing.

Roby on special teams.

Champions: O-Line, Zach Boren, Jeff Heuerman, Etienne Sabino, Johnathan Hankins, Bradley Roby, Travis Howard, Ryan Shazier and John Simon.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:24 pm

So, if I'm not mistaken, that leaves Storm Klein as MIKE. Is there even a natural backup at that position?
Shit The Bed For Ted

- Matty Toes (Vandelay Industries)
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Cam Williams, the true freshman from Boston is allegedly the back-up Mike. Urban hasn't confirmed this move for Grant but it is where they were during warm-ups for the Sparty game.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:38 am

The move for Grant is a good one, but we seem to be full LBs that can't figure out the defense (Marcus,Grant and Perkins) which means we have a lot of OLBs. I am guessing we start hearing about Luke Roberts again very soon.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:44 am

I'm really not concerned about Marcus or Perkins, two kids are have literally zero experience running MLB struggling to learn the D in year one.

Grant/Sabino are different cases, as both were spoon fed the MLB position by the coaches for prolonged periods of time and didn't figure anything out.

That said, I've always figured Perkins and Marcus as OLB's. Cam Williams and Luke Roberts were always the only true MLB in last years class and Cam has done nothing but impress the coaches.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:36 am

It always works where you got 2 guys that are physically ready to play (Perkins and Marcus) and two guys that are mentally ready to play (Williams and Roberts), but they are generally not the same guys. Fortunately, I am a big fan of both Perkins and Marcus for next year and then we should have the LB class from the 70s Steelers coming in 2014 with Raekwon McMillan and Dante Booker (possible Garrett too). We just have to survive this year, endure the growing pains next year and then we should be OK.

Perry has supposedly done a nice job too. He was supposed to get PT against UAB, but then we couldn't close them out.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:56 am

Perry had done a nice job, until he gave up that blocked punt and got his ass benched from punt team in favor of Sabino.
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Return to College Sports Arena