Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Browns @ Ravens

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Browns @ Ravens

Unread postby That_Guy™ » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:48 pm

googleeph2 wrote:
LakeErieWarriors wrote:TRich only had 14 attempts. He had 3.4 YPC for a total of 47 yards. TRich is most definitely our most talented player on offense; Chilly needs to work him in/dedicate more offense to this guy, otherwise we're just wasting him.

Hoping they've been working him in due to the 2 procedures and no training camp.

Would love to see the Browns get a 2 possession lead in the 2nd half some time and get him to spin 7 minutes off the clock. How about at home vs the Bengals in 2 weeks, with the stands still full in the 4th qutr and getting louder with each carry.

That would just be all kinds of awesome. I'm taking my boy to his first game that week and Trent is his favorite player. It's gonna be a surprise for his b-day. Not gonna tell him until we get to C-town.
The first rule of Fight Club is: Don't tell Chuck Norris about Fight Club.
That_Guy™

Favorite Player: Leroy Jenkins
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:42 pm

LakeErieWarriors wrote: Biggest new frustration from last night (new because dropped balls have become the norm). TRich only had 14 attempts. He had 3.4 YPC for a total of 47 yards. TRich is most definitely our most talented player on offense; Chilly needs to work him in/dedicate more offense to this guy, otherwise we're just wasting him.

You're wasting him trying to run into 8 or 9 in the box. Which is why Surmur loves the 2nd and 10 (after a first down incompletion) run play because that's the only time the LOS is not jammed with other colored jerseys.

The fact that TR beat a pulling G to the backside 5 hole on his TD run tells you everying you need to know about the lack of athleticism and poor feet of the guards. They are (if anything) straight ahead drive blocking guys, which just isn't going to work all that well until we start throwing and completing passes greater than 5 yards.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:53 pm

That_Guy™ wrote:
googleeph2 wrote:
LakeErieWarriors wrote:TRich only had 14 attempts. He had 3.4 YPC for a total of 47 yards. TRich is most definitely our most talented player on offense; Chilly needs to work him in/dedicate more offense to this guy, otherwise we're just wasting him.

Hoping they've been working him in due to the 2 procedures and no training camp.

Would love to see the Browns get a 2 possession lead in the 2nd half some time and get him to spin 7 minutes off the clock. How about at home vs the Bengals in 2 weeks, with the stands still full in the 4th qutr and getting louder with each carry.

That would just be all kinds of awesome. I'm taking my boy to his first game that week and Trent is his favorite player. It's gonna be a surprise for his b-day. Not gonna tell him until we get to C-town.

T-Rich only had 14 carries for the same reason Ray Rice only had 49 on the ground - you had two teams (one of which was/is a previously bad offense) roll up 800 yards of offense and about 5.5 a play.

The rules are made for the ball to be moved thru the air.

Period.

Which is why you don't draft a running back that high, even if he's a good one, and compound it by giving the Vikings a Christmas present to go along with it.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby mattvan1 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:36 pm

leadpipe wrote:
That_Guy™ wrote:
googleeph2 wrote:

T-Rich only had 14 carries for the same reason Ray Rice only had 49 on the ground - you had two teams (one of which was/is a previously bad offense) roll up 800 yards of offense and about 5.5 a play.

The rules are made for the ball to be moved thru the air.

Period.

Which is why you don't draft a running back that high, even if he's a good one, and compound it by giving the Vikings a Christmas present to go along with it.

The only rationale would have to be some type of hedging under the pretense of helping Weeden to develop. "let's get a back who can handle 20+ carries to take the pressure off the QB"

Except when defenses can defend the run AND the pass with 8 guys around the LOS your RB investment is worthless. I really don't think Shurmur and company are that worried about scoring points - I think they are more concerned with managing the game. Too bad that philosophy went out of vogue about 10 years ago.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:48 am

peeker643 wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Obviously, it is unfair to compare a QB in his 4th NFL game to a QB in his 5th NFL season.

I think the reason so many want to is that they have a very comparable skill set.

Thing is, in Cleveland, not sure Flacco gets 5 years to develop into what he is now.

Still an issue that 5 years to develop puts Weeden at a month shy of 34 yrs old. That's not a death warrant but it's not exactly ideal either.

That's always been a sizeable part of my misgivings with the guy.

Not getting back to that, because a few things he did last night really did give me hope. But that developmental period needs to be compressed as much as humanly possible IMO.

I agree with some of that. Weeden certainly doesn't get 5 years, he should be at max capacity by year 3.

It really shouldn't take 5 years with anyone, which is why Flacco has been so lightly regarded in the past. It's not often players get 5 years in today's NFL.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:25 am

The reason Flacco has been given so long to prove himself is b/c of the team he is on and the make up of the team (addressed in the link up thread).

Bottom line is wins, and if a QB is racking them up like a mild manner, soft tossing, Nagy faced starter with an All Star loaded line up in the 90's behind him he's gonna keep his starting job. It's very rare the decision makers mess with success, especially at that position.

You put Manning or Brady on the Ravens and they win 10 SB in the last 4 years.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL