Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

The Replacments

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

The Replacments

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38 am

The same officiating crew that cost the Packers a game Monday night (and also had a turrble game the previous week) is the one calling the Raven/Browns game Thursday night.

Oh the comedy...this shit just writes itself. :sillies:
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Re: The Replacments

Unread postby pup » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:02 am

So you are saying we got a shot
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:12 am

Greatest back door cover ever last night.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby bookelly » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:20 am

swerb wrote:Greatest back door cover ever last night.

Yeah...how anyone can gamble right now on the NFL is beyond me. There's something fishy about a ton of the outcomes.

And lest we may forget, the blown call to end the game was precipitated by a bogus PI call the play before.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby swerb » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:06 am

Tirico did a great job calling that madness last night. Just a totally chaotic finish. Place went absolutely berserk when they said the call on the field stood.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:08 am

Credibility and integrity waning. Combine it with the shit sandwich the Browns serve up each week and I find myself watching Browns only on DVR to get through it faster, and paying much less attention to remainder of weekend games.

Fucking brutal officiating from guys that just can't hang with the bigger, faster, stronger NFL guys. Last night's abomination was preceded by about 6 mini-abominations on other calls. PI calls seem to vex these humps most of all.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby pod2dawg » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:07 am

bookelly wrote:
swerb wrote:Greatest back door cover ever last night.

Yeah...how anyone can gamble right now on the NFL is beyond me. There's something fishy about a ton of the outcomes.

There has been a fishy smell in the NFL for a long time now. These Reffs make it worse.

Game is ugly.

<<<< Funny, Pete Carroll determined it a "good call."

I'm with Peek . DVR fast forward.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Action Boy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:57 am

The product is unwatchable with the current officials. You need a 4 hour block to watch one freaking game.

Nothing will change as the owners will not budge. They know the fans will keep watching and showing up.

The commissioner talks about protecting the shield at all costs - lol. As Rick Reilly stated last night, the NFL has taken the Mona Lisa and painted a mustache on it.
Action Boy

Unread postby General » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:16 am

This might seem a bizarre connection but over the weekend one of the Turner stations was playing "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken". One scene in there has Luther Heggs (Don Knotts)trying to give a speech; of course he is classic jittery Knotts, shaking and stuttering and he keeps repeating, "let me clarify" after every point he makes. As I watched several games this weekend and last night, I kept visualizing Knotts as either Luther Heggs or Barney Fife doing NFL games.

I'm kind of enjoying this. :dingle:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization-Do I really have to change this?
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby swerb » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:23 am

Funny from Twitter

"The Inaccurate Reception"

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby motherscratcher » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:17 am

I feel bad for these guys. Could anyone convince you to be a replacement official? How much are they getting paid?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Hikohadon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:21 am

I DVR fast forward Browns games because those are hard to watch no matter who refs them.

The rest? Flipping around too much to care that much. If the Refs are taking forever on a call, there's another game on another channel.

Haven't been staying up for the late games b/c... well, I just don't give enough of a shit.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby Spin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:28 am

I don't understand why it was a blown call.

Watching the replay M.D. Jennings has the ball in his hands in the air. It's not a catch until his feet touch the ground, right? Before his feet touch the ground, Tate gets one or two hands on the ball and they land. Tate still had a hand on the ball. So, in the NFL, isn't any catch where both offense and defense have the ball, doesn't it automatically go to the offense?

Maybe I'm not clear on the NFL rules, but that's what I see in the video.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:39 am

Spin wrote:I don't understand why it was a blown call.

Watching the replay M.D. Jennings has the ball in his hands in the air. It's not a catch until his feet touch the ground, right? Before his feet touch the ground, Tate gets one or two hands on the ball and they land. Tate still had a hand on the ball. So, in the NFL, isn't any catch where both offense and defense have the ball, doesn't it automatically go to the offense?

I believe it goes deeper than that in the rules, in that if one player has possession first then joint possession takes place at some point things become a bit of a judgment call. IIRC that is how I heard it broke down in terms of how the refs had to decipher the rule book, that they obviously have not read much of.

IMO this is a classic case of why some coaches teach players to bat the ball away/down.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:00 am

I kinda felt like you did. This is only a huge deal b/c the replacement refs are the early season talking point for sports media. Once the real refs come back, plays like this won't get nearly the ink/air/analysis, and they'll turn to some new topic du jour.
Hikohadon

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:08 am

Plays like this, and the fiasco that followed it, won't exist is a big part of why they won't get the ink or airtime.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:10 am

^^^^ Not only that, but didn't the real reffs blow a hail mary game deciding call against Detroit last year?
It was a bad call , and the dumb-ass DB should have knocked it down.
I think the generalized mugging going on all over the field is what everyone is most concerned about., plus their inconsistency & phantom calls.
pod2dawg

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:25 am

FUDU wrote:Plays like this, and the fiasco that followed it, won't exist is a big part of why they won't get the ink or airtime.

Ha! Sure they won't.

No way the regular refs call that a catch or call a fumble an incomplete pass (cough cough Ed Hochuli cough cough) or call a QB dive that's clearly short of the End Zone a TD (cough cough Vinny Testaverde cough cough) or flag a QB trying to tackle a defender after an INT for illegal blocking (cough cough Hasselbeck Super Bowl cough cough) or review a play after another play has already been run (cough cough Bottlegate cough cough).

The call on Monday night wasn't nearly as bad as all of those. Which is in no way saying the replacement refs are any good, cuz they aren't. Just that the regular refs are more than capable of making that same call, and if they did, no way it gets as much pub.
Hikohadon

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:46 am

If that call is the flash point that gets the parties talking and agreeing sooner rather than later then so be it.

Bottom line is that these guys, not even the best and brightest in big college football officiating, haven't adjusted to the size and speed of the NFL game. They're not only guessing on too many plays but they're also unsure of themselves as to rules, marking off yardgae, allowing challenges with teams lacking the requisite time out to challenge a play.... in short they're not prepared or capable of calling the game efficiently and accurately.

Which also makes them malleable and more easily intimidated by coaches, players and crowds.

Say what you will about regular officials making mistakes and poor calls. They do and they will again when they return. But they have more control and have earned more respect. And that makes a huge difference every single time they take the field.

Just because you have your license to fly a Cesna in and out of Lost Nation Airport doesn't mean I want you trying to land a 767 at LaGuardia.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:18 pm

Per Mortensen and others, real refs should be back this weekend.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:22 pm

peeker643 wrote:If that call is the flash point that gets the parties talking and agreeing sooner rather than later then so be it.

Bottom line is that these guys, not even the best and brightest in big college football officiating, haven't adjusted to the size and speed of the NFL game. They're not only guessing on too many plays but they're also unsure of themselves as to rules, marking off yardgae, allowing challenges with teams lacking the requisite time out to challenge a play.... in short they're not prepared or capable of calling the game efficiently and accurately.

Which also makes them malleable and more easily intimidated by coaches, players and crowds.

Say what you will about regular officials making mistakes and poor calls. They do and they will again when they return. But they have more control and have earned more respect. And that makes a huge difference every single time they take the field.

Just because you have your license to fly a Cesna in and out of Lost Nation Airport doesn't mean I want you trying to land a 767 at LaGuardia.

Agree with all that. Regular refs are clearly better.

I just feel this particular situation has been blown out of proportion by a media that was already looking to pile on the replacement ref controversy. The sooner the regular refs can get back the sooner the media can move onto the next (somewhat media generated) controversy.
Hikohadon

Unread postby General » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:37 pm

I still like the comedic aspects of it.
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization-Do I really have to change this?
General

Unread postby Rat_Tail » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:34 pm

Don't forget Tate also should've been called for offensive pass interference on the same play. Pretty obvious push off.
Cleveland is the city where we come from so run run
Rat_Tail
Take Me Back To 2007

Favorite Player: Pronk
Least Favorite Player: Marson

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:40 am

Rat_Tail wrote:

Don't forget Tate also should've been called for offensive pass interference on the same play. Pretty obvious push off.

OJ probably shoulda faced breaking and entering charges too, right before he lopped a couple heads off ;-) ;) :wink:

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:41 am

Agreement reached. Actual officials en route to Baltimore to be there in time to do tonight's game.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby General » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:43 am

Has the NFL reached an agreement to get rid of the replacement Browns?
General

Unread postby pod2dawg » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:54 am

Sadly, as Brown's fans we were the least affected by the "keystone -cops" and their fouling the "PRODUCT" on the field. Our product has been fouled for 10 years. If anything the mayhem played into our hands.

Luckily, the Real Reffs show up tonight, that will make the game so much more palatable to watch.
pod2dawg

Unread postby Hikohadon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:43 am

pod2dawg wrote:Sadly, as Brown's fans we were the least affected by the "keystone -cops" and their fouling the "PRODUCT" on the field. Our product has been fouled for 10 years. If anything the mayhem played into our hands.

Luckily, the Real Reffs show up tonight, that will make the game so much more palatable to watch.

The Refs (replacement of otherwise) have had little effect on the palatability (or lack thereof) of watching the Browns.
Hikohadon

Unread postby motherscratcher » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Game starts at 8.

Over/Under on the time we hear/read the first "even the replacement refs would have gotten that right" (or something to that effect) crack after the suddenly infallible regular officials blow a call?
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:37 pm

motherscratcher wrote:Game starts at 8.

Over/Under on the time we hear/read the first "even the replacement refs would have gotten that right" (or something to that effect) crack after the suddenly infallible regular officials blow a call?

Exactly- the next bad call that goes against one of the league darlings will be really fun.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL