Text Size

Cleveland Indians & MLB

Passan Piles on Pirates Woes

Talk Tribe, talk baseball in this forum.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, paulcousineau

Passan Piles on Pirates Woes

Unread postby swerb » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:27 pm

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Passan Piles on Pirates Woes

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm not sure I'd call it piling on. The navy seal stuff if pretty out there.

When I read it earlier today I had to check and make sure I wasn't reading an Onion article.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
User avatar
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers
 
Posts: 7748
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: La La Land
Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Re: Passan Piles on Pirates Woes

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Yeah, Huntington's job is in jeopardy, which is amazing considering early in the season he was probably a GM of the Year candidate. Nothing like a free-fall to change people's opinions of you.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
User avatar
WiscTribeFan
Mook
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:10 pm
Location: Kenosha, WI
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Passan Piles on Pirates Woes

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:48 pm

WiscTribeFan wrote:Yeah, Huntington's job is in jeopardy, which is amazing considering early in the season he was probably a GM of the Year candidate. Nothing like a free-fall to change people's opinions of you.



Bet he's sorry he went to Pittsburgh now. Has to be tough knowing front office people can lose a job in Pittsburgh when in Cleveland owners and front office staff mate for life.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22662
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Passan Piles on Pirates Woes

Unread postby Dnthateonthepronk » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:41 pm

I think in one area he needs to be applauded though. Even though his team was in contention and he had to be feeling some heat, he didn't sacrifice the long term future of the franchise by trading guys like Cole, Heredia, Marte, Tallion, Bell, etc for rental players to try to save his own job.

He obviously wants to build around his "core" and feels those are the pieces he needs to augment the team as it is now to get them over the hump in the next few years rather than wasting young players on a guy like Choo. That seems to be his plan and he seems to want to stick to it.
Alex White: Just like School on Sunday......No Class.
User avatar
Dnthateonthepronk
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm
Location: Virginia Beach
Favorite Player: Dan Marino
Least Favorite Player: Alex Rodriguez

Re: Passan Piles on Pirates Woes

Unread postby gotribe31 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:01 am

Stark outlines his keys to developing major league players, highlighted by this line: "Dream and be creative like a Hippie. Have the discipline and perseverance of a Boy Scout. Be crazy and take risks like the Hells Angels."


Awesome
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
User avatar
gotribe31
 
Posts: 2494
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:38 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA
Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Passan Piles on Pirates Woes

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:12 am

gotribe31 wrote:
Stark outlines his keys to developing major league players, highlighted by this line: "Dream and be creative like a Hippie. Have the discipline and perseverance of a Boy Scout. Be crazy and take risks like the Hells Angels."


Awesome


Can't believe there's going to be a lot of front office guys around the league encouraging their minor leaguers, in whom they've invested millions of dollars and years of development for the 1 in 10 chance they'll ever become anything more than "middling" major leaguers, to "be crazy and take risks" that could jeopardize all that.

Call me crazy, but I don't see this mantra catching on.

Hilarious story. I'd love it even more if it was one of the big market teams, but I'll take what I can get.
Last edited by Adverb Harry on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Adverb Harry
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 pm
Location: Souvenir City
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig

Re: Passan Piles on Pirates Woes

Unread postby WiscTribeFan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Ah, taking risks like a motorcycle gang known for violence, drug and gun running. Good plan.
Don't go away mad, just go away.
User avatar
WiscTribeFan
Mook
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:10 pm
Location: Kenosha, WI
Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Passan Piles on Pirates Woes

Unread postby pup » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:24 pm

Adverb Harry wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:
Stark outlines his keys to developing major league players, highlighted by this line: "Dream and be creative like a Hippie. Have the discipline and perseverance of a Boy Scout. Be crazy and take risks like the Hells Angels."


Awesome


Can't believe there's going to be a lot of front office guys around the league encouraging their minor leaguers, in whom they've invested millions of dollars and years of development for the 1 in 10 chance they'll ever become anything more than "middling" major leaguers, to "be crazy and take risks" that could jeopardize all that.

Call me crazy, but I don't see this mantra catching on.

Hilarious story. I'd love it even more if it was one of the big market teams, but I'll take what I can get.


Don't you think he is referring to the methodology of developing them, not the actual actions he suggests the players undertake?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Passan Piles on Pirates Woes

Unread postby Adverb Harry » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:28 pm

pup wrote:
Adverb Harry wrote:
gotribe31 wrote:
Stark outlines his keys to developing major league players, highlighted by this line: "Dream and be creative like a Hippie. Have the discipline and perseverance of a Boy Scout. Be crazy and take risks like the Hells Angels."


Awesome


Can't believe there's going to be a lot of front office guys around the league encouraging their minor leaguers, in whom they've invested millions of dollars and years of development for the 1 in 10 chance they'll ever become anything more than "middling" major leaguers, to "be crazy and take risks" that could jeopardize all that.

Call me crazy, but I don't see this mantra catching on.

Hilarious story. I'd love it even more if it was one of the big market teams, but I'll take what I can get.

.

Don't you think he is referring to the methodology of developing them, not the actual actions he suggests the players undertake?


Oh, that's what he meant? I took it he was encouraging the players to become members of a vicious armed motorcycle gang known for its propensity toward violence and drug running. Yeah, your theory makes more sense. :thumb up:
User avatar
Adverb Harry
 
Posts: 962
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:30 pm
Location: Souvenir City
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Ubaldo, Bud Selig


Return to Cleveland Indians & MLB

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest